Players to bin - April 2018 edition

Member 5225

With all this chatter about players not being good enough, still lurking dead-wood, etc.

In the summer transfer window 2018: which names do you let go, no explanations, just cold hard names. Realistic. Split into these buckets:

Actively sell / let leave:
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick

Consider selling at right price:
Martial
Mata
Herrera
Valencia
Young
Pogba
DDG (not out of choice)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling or Jones
Rojo
Fellaini
Carrick
Mata
Martial if he really wants to go.

Personally, the Likes of Pogba, Martial and co in our attacking positions would be twice the player they are here if they were managed by somebody willing to play on the front foot.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling or Jones
Rojo
Fellaini
Carrick
Mata
Martial if he really wants to go.

Personally, the Likes of Pogba, Martial and co in our attacking positions would be twice the player they are here if they were managed by somebody willing to play on the front foot.
I agree with a lot of these names and it scares me that we are still needing so much of a squad rebuild.

Ace of Spades

Meh, the so called deadwood have hardly played, the players who were shit today were players Jose bought in for a a lot of money, and they have not been good. The problem is deeper than just buying new players and magically expecting to improve leaps and bounds.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Valencia
Smalling
Mata
Fellaini
Blind
Darmian
Herrera
Jones

All fairly obvious and it’s clear a lot of work still needs to be done. Not all of them will go but hopefully at least a few.

automaticflare

Valencia
Smalling
Mata
Fellaini
Blind
Darmian
Herrera
Jones

All fairly obvious and it’s clear a lot of work still needs to be done. Not all of them will go but hopefully at least a few.
Blind is a better footballer than any of our current cente rbacks
When he played there he was relatively consistent he would also get the ball passed forward quicker than anyone else we have there

I would rather get rid of both Smalling and jones

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Blind is a better footballer than any of our current cente rbacks
When he played there he was relatively consistent he would also get the ball passed forward quicker than anyone else we have there

I would rather get rid of both Smalling and jones
Mourinho is never going to play him so he may as well just go, he deserves to play somewhere else.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is a clue in the OP. When half of the team has to be binned, then the problem isn't half of the team.

Last edited:

Nuts

With all this chatter about players not being good enough, still lurking dead-wood, etc.

In the summer transfer window 2018: which names do you let go, no explanations, just cold hard names. Realistic. Split into these buckets:

Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick

Martial
Mata
Herrera
Valencia
Young
Pogba
DDG (not out of choice)
I'd rather show Mourinho the door and appoint a manager who get get our squad to play to something anywhere near their level.

Too many talented players who are not playing, or unhappy, or playing nowhere near our potential. That could be turned around under the right manager.

Last edited:

AshRK

Smalling darmian blind Jones fellaini mata shaw young ( feck the idea of having him as a squad player ) .

AshRK

I’d rather get rid

I'd rather show Mourinho the door and appoint a manager who get get our squad to play to something anywhere near their level.

Too many talented players who are not playing, or unhappy, or playing nowhere near our potential. That could be turned around under the right manager.
If the players are unhappy they can feck off too. You are vastly overeating some of the junk we have. That defence line we have is a joke which shouldn't be there next season. I dont want a situation of seeing a new manager with smalling jones Valencia young fellaini jogging for him. If Jose leave some of these sad feckers can also be gone

el3mel

Most of the players that will be sold are those who never play anyway i.e Darmian, Blind, Shaw, Fellaini..etc.

Only main players who I don't mind seeing their back is Valencia, Mata and Jones.

montpelier

My list of complete deadwood is relatively short - Fellaini, Blind, Carrick

Better than the deadwood but all a bit ''well y'know''- is a lot longer

The list of who might still be two-thirds here --> definitely here, when we next win the League could still be pretty short - DDG, Bailly, potentially Rashford, potentially Martial, Pogba, Sanchez (I suppose)

To stick with underneath that - Lingard, Mata, McTom, Lukaku, Herrera (I suppose), and in reality some of the defenders, take your pick

Preferably out though - all the other defenders

Must come in - 3 high quality replacements for the 3 at the top

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There is clue in the OP. When half of the team has to be binned, then the problem isn't half of the team.
Exactly. We can't go out and buy eleven players. Some will go through contracts running out or retiring. Fellaini and Carrick. Herrera might go after next season as his contract will be up and he may want to go back home with his family. Darmian will definitely go. Smalling has been playing, not sure why he would go. It is a right mess. It is more of a worry if the likes of Martial/Pogba go as it reflects badly on the manager and just means we are wasting money and not researching what we really need. We have had a few years of the latter, buying players and binning them at speed.

I am sure there was a tweet that said he had told Ed the three players he wants. If we got rid of eleven and brought in three, it would leave us just a tad short of players.

Castia

Rojo
Jones
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Fellaini
Mata
McTominay (season loan to pl team)
Carrick (retired)

New additions:
1 CB
1 Left Back
2 Midfielders
1 right winger
1 striker

TFM back from Palace loan to challenge at RB.

Gegenpress

Supports
Liverpool
I’d take Martial in a heartbeat? What the hell has happened with the lad? Looks class anytime I’ve seen him play.

ReallyUSA

Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini ( I love the man. Anyone who has to persevere through scrutiny that wasn't your fault can support him. He has been injury prone, and we needed him big this year. If he wants to go, let him go. )
Carrick
Martial ( If we can get a high percentage for what we paid for him with a buy-back clause so be it. )
Mata (Great guy, but we need more. He can go to Serie A, and be a huge contributor. )
Pogba ( United have to put trust in Mou. The team can't have players be above the manager nor the team. Even the comeback kid.)
DDG (not out of choice)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’d take Martial in a heartbeat? What the hell has happened with the lad? Looks class anytime I’ve seen him play.
There’s a lot of things wrong in my opinion. Here’s a handy five point list.

S. Skills - very skillful but does not graft
A. attitude - apparently arguing with Jose
L - liability - doesn’t track back enough
A - age - too young to be trusted
H - hype - Jose doesn’t seem to believe in him

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Assuming no other factors like players wanting to leave..
Not Pogba. He hasn't done enough but could be better if we can sort other problems.
Mata does the business sometimes. He needs to be a sub and not a starter.
Herrera can stay for cover.
I'd consider Blind staying for cover.
Valencia can be cover for whoever comes in, so long as we have enough squad places.
Same with Young although less so.

Who should leave:
Jones - in all honesty, a waste of a spot. A good defence needs some consistency and all he does is mess it up by coming in then getting injured for the millionth time. He's not good enough to be allowed to continue doing that. Smalling can stay as cover with Rojo.
Darmian - to make space in the squad for a decent fullback.
Carrick
Fellaini - he's not so good at whatever his job is that it warrants keeping hold of him. The one positive about him though..I think if the manager wants us to change tempo (which we need to do), he'd do it. Whether he's good enough at football to make it work, I dunno, but I think he'd do it. I can't see us buying another mid though, when so many other places need sorting first. Can see him lasting another year, although his contract is due up isn't it?

Last edited:

Tjm118

Sell/Free Transfer/Retire
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick

Mata
Valencia (aging)
Young (aging)
Jones (Crock)

I've said this before but I really don't think our back-line is up to scratch because they are either not good enough, aging, or consistently injured.

Canagel

There is only one category and that is the dead wood that can't suddenly improve or can't be developed any further.

1) Fellaini
2) Darmian
3) Jones
4) Mata
5) Blind
6) Shaw
7) Smalling
8) Herrera
9) Valencia and Young
10) Carrick (Retires)
11) Rojo

These players cannot be part of the first team next season. I'd consider selling them all if the prices are right.

TrebleFan99

Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick

Martial
Mata
Herrera
Valencia
Young
Pogba
DDG (not out of choice)
Would not sell Pogba or DDG.

The rest can go no problem. Upgrades needed desperately.. if that’s not possible then play youngsters

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If the players are unhappy they can feck off too. You are vastly overeating some of the junk we have. That defence line we have is a joke which shouldn't be there next season. I dont want a situation of seeing a new manager with smalling jones Valencia young fellaini jogging for him. If Jose leave some of these sad feckers can also be gone
Our attack is more of a joke than defence. Why do we need to focus more of defensive players?

Member 5225

The anti Jose crew in here :lol:
Do you guys remember Moyes and LVG re their style, results and transfer activities?!

devil in me

Its ridiculous that we are having these conversations at every end of season since Fergie left. We seem to have a rebuild every bloody year, yet 8 months later we need another one, because the players we have signed aren't good enough. We should be at the point of just tweaking the squad now, but yet again we need about 6 or 7 gone and the same brought in. Something needs to change, because it will be the exact same thing this summer, followed by another conversation next April/May about how we need to revamp the squad.

For me, the entire back line, bar maybe Bailly, needs to go. Mata's time here is done. Get rid of Matic, and probably Martial too (more for him than us). Fellaini needs to go, and I'd forgotton Blind existed, so him too.

Sing you a song

Valencia
Smalling
Jones
Rojo
Darmian
Young
Shaw
Fellaini
Blind
Herrera
Mata
Pogba
Martial

Crikey how depressing is that

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Valencia - back up
Young - back up
Mata - back up
Fellaini - Sell
Darmian - Sell
Blind - Sell
Carrick - coaching

FireballXL5

I like to put a positive spin on things so I start with those players I'd keep....

1) DDG

Then I'm struggling.

It's B Rubble

Never on the players and this thread is ridiculous if you consider the last time we were Champs, we finished in 7th with Fellaini in and a shite gaffer. Manager and coaching staff need a deep look in the mirror. The responsiblity of the team lies on the coaches. Lewis Hamilton in a Ford Ka would smoke me if I was driving a Porsche in a race. SAF could only dream to have this sort of embarrasment of riches at his disposal. He won with dross. I am never one to want a manager out but this one needs to sort it out quick or go coach Portugal.