Players to bin - April 2018 edition

Lentwood

It depends really, I flip between two moods. One part of me says sell everyone who I don’t believe is good enough or has the right attitude to play for Man Utd, even if that means replacing them with kids for the time-being. The other part of me says be realistic and slowly phase out players season on season.

However, I don’t believe the following are good enough to be Manchester Utd players (now)

- Young
- Darmian
- Blind
- Mata
- Valencia
- Fellaini
- Smalling

So they would be the first ones I would look to get rid of.

The following players are players I believe have questionable mentalities and/or attitudes. If I’m honest I don’t know what to do with them. I flip between preserve and let them have another crack at fulfilling potential and cut our losses.

- Shaw
- Martial
- Pogba
- Bailly

The following players I believe lack star quality but have the right attitude to be squad players at a minimum

- Rashford
- Lingard
- Herrera (just by the skin of his teeth)
- Jones
- Rojo
- Romero
- Lindelof
- McTominay

The remaining players I believe are nailed on starters and should be kept on

- DDG
- Matic
- Lukaku
- Sanchez

buckooo1978

Actively sell / let leave:
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
1 of Smalling or Jones
Fellaini
Carrick

we can't afford to lose any more players than this lot. We can't realistically bring in 6 or 7 players.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need to get rid of four or five. One poster wanted 13 players gone. Jesus Christ. We are second in the table.

AndyJ1985

Jones
Fellaini
Darmian
Young
Valencia
Blind
Mata
Shaw

Completely overhaul the full back positions

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I understand the urge for a mass slaughter on a day like today but I think 5 out & 5 in is the most we could hope for and the reality will probably be 4 tops.

I would just buy three defenders, 2 full backs and a CB. Also buy a new CM and cash in Pogba before his stock price really plummets.

Offer Darmian, Blind and Shaw to the market and just accept best bids.

I think our problems in attack are rooted further back, so I would try to hold on to all our attacking players if possible.

AndyJ1985

I understand the urge for a mass slaughter on a day like today but I think 5 out & 5 in is the most we could hope for and the reality will probably be 4 tops.

I would just buy three defenders, 2 full backs and a CB. Also buy a new CM and cash in Pogba before his stock price really plummets.

Offer Darmian, Blind and Shaw to the market and just accept best bids.

I think our problems in attack are rooted further back, so I would try to hold on to all our attacking players if possible.
If we were to sell Pogba we'd be fecked. We're going to lose Fellaini and Carrick. We'd have a threadbare midfield and it'd be piss poor to boot.

Archi

Surely Bailly needs to be given more of a chance? He's arguably our best defender. Why is he more dispensable than Jones and Rojo?

EDIT: This was supposed to quote @Lentwood's post above

Last edited:

van Nistelrooy

Fellaini (Free)
Carrick (Retire)

Darmian
Shaw
Jones
Rojo
Valencia

Even though we have one of the best defences in the league, I'd be happy to see many of them go. Too many injury-prone players who have been overrated for a long time. Also, right and left backs need a complete overhaul and I don't see any point in retaining Shaw or Valencia.

I don't necessarily think we should/will sell them, but I would be open to fair offers for:

Pogba
Lingard
Martial
Lindelof
Herrera

Bwuk

De Gea, Bailly, Pogba, Matic.

The only 4 imo who are indispensable. All of them are capable of playing for your likes of Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc, teams who regularly dominate in Europe.

The rest of our squad is dispensable and can be upgraded on. If we sold any of the rest of our squad they wouldn’t end up at a side better than ours, the above all would imo.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d only ship out Fellaini and Mata. The rest, plus a few functional additions, are good enough to get us where we should be.

I’m sick of wholesale changes, let’s get more out of what we’ve got, especially those that are proven or show it in flashes before we start trying to change a huge chunk of the squad and attempting yet another rebuild.

Fitchett

Valencia, Smalling, Young, Herrera, Pogba, Mata, Lukaku, Martial.

Darmian, Shaw, Blind, Jones, Fellaini.

Plus, Ibrahimovic has gone and Carrick is retiring at the end of the season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
With all this chatter about players not being good enough, still lurking dead-wood, etc.

In the summer transfer window 2018: which names do you let go, no explanations, just cold hard names. Realistic. Split into these buckets:

Actively sell / let leave:
Blind
Darmian
Shaw
Smalling
Fellaini
Carrick

Consider selling at right price:
Martial
Mata
Herrera
Valencia
Young
Pogba
DDG (not out of choice)
I can understand your hate for Smalling(kind of), but you do realise he is literally our only defender who can stay fit, and is actually available all the time unlike all others who are injured all the time. And yet, you don't think any of them should be sold, let alone sold ahead of him? I mean, please try to explain me any logic behind that.

van Nistelrooy

De Gea, Bailly, Pogba, Matic.

The only 4 imo who are indispensable. All of them are capable of playing for your likes of Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc, teams who regularly dominate in Europe.

The rest of our squad is dispensable and can be upgraded on. If we sold any of the rest of our squad they wouldn’t end up at a side better than ours, the above all would imo.
Pogba would struggle to make the bench for Real, Barca or Bayern.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pogba would struggle to make the bench for Real, Barca or Bayern.
Strange thing to say when Madrid were in for him until we put up a massive fee. That was two years ago by the way.

I would say that Pogba at Madrid would be world class again, due to playing in a more technical league, with a more dominant team, that would mask his deficiencies.

Jig1234

Mourinho.

We could sign 10 players. Mourinho is never going to change. The football will continue to be dire.

He has Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Lindolof, Lukaku and Lingard & Mata.

Let's all get our head out of the clouds. Mourinho is not a good coach anymore. He can't get the best of the players he inherited or the players he bought. Meanwhile Klopp is getting a tune out of Milner and Henderson and is in a Champions League Semi-Final.

AndyJ1985

Strange thing to say when Madrid were in for him until we put up a massive fee. That was two years ago by the way.

I would say that Pogba at Madrid would be world class again, due to playing in a more technical league, with a more dominant team, that would mask his deficiencies.
Impossible for such a half arsed and lazy player to be world class no matter how talented they are. Real Madrid fans would get frustrated as feck with him to the point they'd start booing

van Nistelrooy

Yeah... 2 years ago! That was for the wonderkid at Juventus who was smashing in screamers every few weeks. The one we paid £89m for.

If we were buying Pogba this summer on his form since he returned to United, the fee would be no where near the same.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Sold/Free Transfer :
Fellaini, Shaw, Darmian, (Jones)
I think Blind will leave but I’d keep him

Right price :
Mata, Herrera. (Would consider selling any squad player, not making our first choice XI)

Carrick obviously joins the coaching staff.

Dropped from the starting XI : Valencia, Young, Lingard, Smalling, Mata, Herrera,

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Impossible for such a half arsed and lazy player to be world class no matter how talented they are. Real Madrid fans would get frustrated as feck with him to the point they'd start booing
Real Madrid have runners all over the team. At United, Pogba is expected to be a Pirlo or Scholes midfielder that dictates the game. He's not good enough for that. What he is good for is being a player to pick out runners in the team; he has shown that he is very good at that.

Yeah... 2 years ago! That was for the wonderkid at Juventus who was smashing in screamers every few weeks. The one we paid £89m for.

If we were buying Pogba this summer on his form since he returned to United, the fee would be no where near the same.
The fee wasn't what you were talking about though. Pogba would be a good player to succeed Modric since he is getting on a bit. He would definitely make the bench.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I’m sick of wholesale changes, let’s get more out of what we’ve got, especially those that are proven or show it in flashes before we start trying to change a huge chunk of the squad and attempting yet another rebuild.
Same here. Can't believe we're talking about chopping half of our squad (10+players). This team can perform better. Prior to Sanchez signing we were talking about adding that one game changer which we were missing.

Now, we're back to square one it seems.

manunited1919

Valencia - back up
Young - back up
Mata - back up
Fellaini - Sell
Darmian - Sell
Blind - Sell
Carrick - coaching
I think you hit the nail on the head. I would also add:

Jones - Sell

Too bad Blind is so small and not a Mourinho player, I think he is a good footballer.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think you hit the nail on the head. I would also add:

Jones - Sell

Too bad Blind is so small and not a Mourinho player, I think he is a good footballer.
It's a choice between Blind and Lindeloff. Lindeloff is the younger player, so it makes sense to keep him as a squad player due to his better sell on value.

van Nistelrooy

The fee wasn't what you were talking about though. Pogba would be a good player to succeed Modric since he is getting on a bit. He would definitely make the bench.
The fee reflects the quality of player. £89m at the time was a world record fee briefly. We wouldn't be paying that if we didn't think he was a quality player. Real wouldn't be prepared to pay that sort of figure now, even with the market becoming more crazy. The world can see that Pogba has been nothing more than mediocre and living off his potential since he came here.

Pogba is some way off Modric's level.

paulscholes18

Safe to say that Fellaini and Carrick are gone
Sell
Darmian
Blind
Valencia
Young
Mata

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The fee reflects the quality of player. £89m at the time was a world record fee briefly. We wouldn't be paying that if we didn't think he was a quality player. Real wouldn't be prepared to pay that sort of figure now, even with the market becoming more crazy. The world can see that Pogba has been nothing more than mediocre and living off his potential since he came here.

Pogba is some way off Modric's level.
If we sold Pogba to Madrid for a cut price, they would take him and he would get regular games for them. That was the point.

Just because we overpaid for Pogba doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

van Nistelrooy

If we sold Pogba to Madrid for a cut price, they would take him and he would get regular games for them. That was the point.

Just because we overpaid for Pogba doesn't mean he isn't a good player.
I'm not saying we overpaid for Pogba. For the hottest young prospect in Europe at the time, we paid a fair price. Looking at Pogba two years on, of course it looks like we overpaid.

I'm just saying Pogba is an average and very inconsistent player.

Andersons Dietician

Rojo
Jones
Valencia
Young
Fellaini **

Blind doesn’t play, no point in keeping him and don’t see a future for him here.
Darmian doesn’t play, no point in keeping him, same as above.
Carrick, retiring.

Fellaini kinda falls in to the not really playing field and the contract thing even tho I think Jose would hope to keep him.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We aren't going to have too many changes in terms of selling people who actually play. We have no choice with the Carrick and Fellaini situations so outside of those two I see us selling the following:

Darmian
Blind
Shaw
Jones
Andreas
Martial

I think Mourinho will prefer to keep Smalling over Jones due to the fact he can actually stay mostly fit. Slim chance of De Gea leaving - that depends on how contract talks go in the summer. After those outgoings I see the following purchases: LB, CB, CM (maybe 2), RW. Fosu-Mensah to return as backup for Valencia (maybe getting more minutes depending on performances), Tuanzebe to go out on loan again (his contract is until 2020 with option of a further year) and Chong to be the season's youth promotion getting a few minutes here and there.

Ludens the Red

Mourinho.

We could sign 10 players. Mourinho is never going to change. The football will continue to be dire.

He has Martial, Pogba, Rashford, Lindolof, Lukaku and Lingard & Mata.

Let's all get our head out of the clouds. Mourinho is not a good coach anymore. He can't get the best of the players he inherited or the players he bought. Meanwhile Klopp is getting a tune out of Milner and Henderson and is in a Champions League Semi-Final.

I don't know how Mourinho can teach a team to have stamina and work rate. Nor can he teach the players to not pick and choose when they're arsed to play.

The biggest problem I see at our club is the absolutely disgusting lack of application, lack of work rate and stamina a lot of our players have. Players like Pogba and Martial in particular. Even our players who have reasonable work rate seem to lack the stamina needed to perform over 90 minutes, the likes of Valencia, Young, Matic and Mata. Unless this changes we're never going to see our quality of football improve.

You look at the teams in our league who play the best football, city, Spurs and Liverpool, all of them have players who work and work. You mock Henderson and Milner but they apply themselves so much better than people like Pogba and Martial and that's why Liverpool can have a midfield of Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum and boss a game.

Burnley are 7th in the league with arguably the worse set of players in the division ability wise but they run themselves into the ground and they work. You cannot underestimate how important it is in modern football to have high levels of work rate and stamina.
It's not a surprise that the two teams in the top 6 who play the worse football are Arsenal and United, because our players have ridiculously inconsistent levels of work ethic.

Mourinho must be pulling his hair out because he's a manager who's history of success is largely built on the ability of his players to show a consistent level of professionalism and work rate.
We need to start signing players that can keep up with the physical and mental demands of the modern game.
This won't be achieved with players like Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Martial in particular, can blame Mourinho all you want but if you think Martial and Pogba can walk into teams managed by Poch, Pep and Klopp and put in these pathetic efforts, you're dreaming.

I'm just tired of this blame the manager game, these players need to up their game and not just for the odd half here and there. Make the effort to make yourself available for a pass, make the effort to track back when you lose the ball, these basic things we don't do too often and it's not a managerial issue its a player one.