Players who fell from grace almost overnight

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Callum McManaman - Okay bit harsh, but he went from almost carrying Wigan to the FA Cup final and then just seemed to go off the radar, even in the Championship. Still young enough to change that though.

acnumber9

Veron signed for the wrong team. He needed to be the focal point of the midfield and everything needed to go through him. That was never going to happen with Roy Keane around.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mendieta? Marcio Amoroso's sharp decline almost bankrupted Dortmund :D

Patchbeard

Callum McManaman - Okay bit harsh, but he went from almost carrying Wigan to the FA Cup final and then just seemed to go off the radar, even in the Championship. Still young enough to change that though.
Spurred him on to scoring twice so far today.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Kagawa? Maybe he can find his mojo again with Klopp.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Joe Cole, Damien Duff, Ashley Young, Javier Hernandez, Fabien Barthez, Sebastian Deisler El Shaarawy, Robinho.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Joe Cole, Damien Duff, Ashley Young, Javier Hernandez, Fabien Barthez, Sebastian Deisler El Shaarawy, Robinho.
Hernandez hasn't really fallen from grace in that he's not regressed as a footballer all that much. He's just struggled to get into our starting lineup a lot and has hence struggled to get ideal playing time.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Clichy had a mare against him whilst made him looks miles better than he is.

Just a pace merchant with nothing else to offer except dodgy tackles and typical horrible Scouse attitude.

Bole Top

Ricardo Oliveira - signed for Milan as a replacement for Shevchenko and failed to do anything there. basically, they paid 18 millions for 3 goals.

Essien - mostly because of injuries... he's not old, but there's no way he will ever return to his 2005-2007 form.

Daniel Carvalho - ok, he was never anything special but he had couple of great seasons for CSKA and I thought he was at least better than midtable brazilian and asian clubs.

Jose Mari - signed for Milan for about 17 mill. pounds, which was a record fee for spanish player at that time. he flopped and spent the most of his career in Villarreal.

van der Meyde - basically, he stopped playing football at the age of 25/26.

Breno - signed for Bayern for 12 million euros and then ended his career at the age of 20...

M. Sissoko - he was at Valencia, Liverpool, Juventus, PSG and Fiorentina, failing to to anything in any of those clubs. then he spent almost half year without club. it's possible that he never really was a good player, but top clubs just kept buying him for some reason.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Mario Gomez
Kluivert
Berbatov
Dwight Yorke
Deco
Kewell
Damien Duff
Joe Cole
Fred
Robert Green
Paul Robinson

Last edited:

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Ricardo Oliveira - signed for Milan as a replacement for Shevchenko and failed to do anything there. basically, they paid 18 millions for 3 goals.

Essien - mostly because of injuries... he's not old, but there's no way he will ever return to his 2005-2007 form.

Daniel Carvalho - ok, he was never anything special but he had couple of great seasons for CSKA and I thought he was at least better than midtable brazilian and asian clubs.

Jose Mari - signed for Milan for about 17 mill. pounds, which was a record fee for spanish player at that time. he flopped and spent the most of his career in Villarreal.

Breno - signed for Bayern for 12 million euros and then ended his career at the age of 20...

M. Sissoko - he was at Valencia, Liverpool, Juventus, PSG and Fiorentina, failing to to anything in any of those clubs. then he spent almost half year without club. it's possible that he never really was a good player, but top clubs just kept buying him for some reason.
He was a decent player for us. Bit of a **** hero. He had no technical ability, but was a good player to have in the squad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mario Gomez
Kluivert
Berbatov
Dwight Yorke
Deco
Kewell
Damien Duff
Joe Cole
Fred
Robert Green
Paul Robinson
I don't think Gomez qualifies at all. He was always harshly criticized for his Weaknesses - he never was unconditionally accepted and once Pep was announced it was kinda obvious that he would have to leave. His national team career also reflects that: aside from EUROs 2012 he was always second choice to Klose and even there he got subbed of for him in the game vs Italy.
At Fiorentina he got fecked by injuries.

gormless

I'm on reasonably decent terms with his step daughter as my friend rented their house in São Paulo (I actually got a guided tour of Munich by his step daughter) and basically his family were massive dicks to him and he struggled with depression. He's gonna be playing for São Paulo soon once his legal situation is sorted in Germany, but I'm fairly certain he isn't as young as he said he was.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Injuries have hampered him IMO.
Wouldn't he be more of a one hit wonder anyway?

Tim Wiese also comes to mind. He wasn't world class or anything, but one of the better German keepers with some ridiculous reflexes, made the squad for one WC 10 and EURO 12..
then he switched clubs and turned to this :D

Last edited:

Bole Top

speaking of Valencia, does anyone remember Mista or Vicente? they declined dramatically after 2005, mostly due to injuries if I remember correctly. Valencia bought a fair number of players in those years that never really justified the money paid for them, especially those from Italy. Tavano, Corradi, Di Vaio and Fiore were all pretty expensive but very poor signings for them. I will add Zigic here too, he was a 20-25 million player for them but they rarely even used him. no wonder they had all those financial issues.

RedRover

Kagawa? No quite as sensational a fall as Torres, and of course we (predictably) played him out of position, but compared to how he was at Dortmund it's certainly a dramatic fall.
Torres was arguably one if the best forwards in world football at Liverpool and a regular in arguably the best international side of the last generation. To see how good he was look at what he did to Vidic who was a real world class defender in a top side.

Kagawa was a bloke who played relatively well in a side set up to get the best out of him then looked out of his depth in the PL. not really comparable.

Deleted member 78215

Rooney, although not quite overnight. I just remember him being brutal in the 09/10 season, and he's not really recaptured that presence since. Even in the season when we lost on GD to City, and he scored hella goals, he still wasn't as good as that Rooney.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's amazing just how many players get ruined by injuries really. Either they're naturally injury prone or the clubs rush them back due to lack of quality alternatives and they end up fecked because of it.

Imagine how good players like the original Ronaldo could've been without injury.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think Gomez qualifies at all. He was always harshly criticized for his Weaknesses - he never was unconditionally accepted and once Pep was announced it was kinda obvious that he would have to leave. His national team career also reflects that: aside from EUROs 2012 he was always second choice to Klose and even there he got subbed of for him in the game vs Italy.
At Fiorentina he got fecked by injuries.
Scored 39 in 45, then 41 in 51 games for Munich in 2010-12. Then disappeared without a trace. I think that can be considered a 'fall', don't you think so?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Got an opera and an 'owe me' from Storey, I'll say that's a mention. One of the saddest cases, him and Aimar.
Oh, well has anyone mentioned Mata yet? :nervous:

Others with a utd connection...Dwight Yorke, Keith Gillespie, Lee sharpe, Veron, Berbatov

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Veron looked like a masterstroke, god knows what happened (injuries perhaps)
He cited the lack of a proper pre-season left him under-prepared for the rigours of English football. Again he's one of these players who physically dropped a level around about the time of moving to the Premiership and never really recovered their top level (see his form at Sampdoria and Lazio).