Players who fell from grace almost overnight

The Red Thinker

Michael Johnson.
Came through at City under Sven. Next Colin Bell. Scored some great goals, looked a genuinely great prospect, linked to Arsenal and Liverpool as City were still mid table irrelevances prior to Arab money. Eventually became their Anderson, hanging round the club for about 5 years after he last played a game due to injury. Now found in "Michael Johnson, remember him," articles, accompanied with photos of him being fat in kebab shops
It's been revealed that Johnson was dealing with severe depression. He was mentally ill the poor lad. Looked a really top prospect.

My shout goes to Fabien Barthez. He was supposed to be our long term guardian at goal. A wonderful goalkeeper in his day.He had a truly spectacular first season for us and then began deteriorating after. What a fall from great heights.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

You could argue or entire squad last season bar De Gea who was consistently very good

LVG has a job rebuilding the confidence

Essaux

When you get injured and yet you're rushed back and constantly played because the only other options are Voronin or N'Gog then it's gonna take it's toll.

If he didn't play for Liverpool then it would've been really sad at the time because he was the best striker in the world around that time.
So hard to imagine right now though.

To lose form and skill as he did is quite crazy...

IwatUwat

Salas
Veron had a pretty steep decline
Torres obvious one
Jeffers
SWP
Damian Duff
Harry Kewel
Bentley
Barthez
Denilson
Lucas Moura?
Robinho?

Mali_Zeus

Niko Kranjčar.
It wasn't overnight but it was pretty quick once it started I think.

He was considered a huge talent in Croatia, there was a time when there was a big talk about him or Modrić being better (although I found that kind of talk always stupid since they're different players). I think there are still some people here who rate him higher then Luka, mostly Hajduk Split fans cause he went from Dinamo Zagreb to Hajduk, they loved him for that.. Deluded...

Antonio Valencia.
Afer a brilliant 2011-12 season it all went downhill for him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I no but Sinclair Just completely vanished after looking half decent at Swansea.
I'd disagree, doesn't look a lot worse than he ever was...

Bentley is a good shout for whoever said him, but I think he fell out of love with the game....

Xavi is one I haven't seen mentioned, who seemed to forget who to play football overnight, quite recently too.Kaká also comes to mind, as well as Ronaldinho, Adriano, Torres (As mentioned) and I would also say Puyol experience it, despite playing at such a high level for so long, when it dropped, it DROPPED.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Casillas in the world cup.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
It has to be Kaka. He literally turned shite a day after he signed for Madrid (a world record fee for couple of days).

Cockney-Red

I'm not sure if anyone's yet mentioned Edgar Davids.

I thought he was the best defensive midfielder in the world at one point, especially when he had the partnership with Zidane under Marcello Lippi.

Then suddenly, during his last few years at Juventus, he just became average and ended up as a journeyman for the rest of his career.

SammyUnited_83

A few from the top of my head...

Jose Antonio Reyes
Vermaelen (went from star CB to benched captain)
Yorke fell from grace fairly quickly
Bostock (the next Gazza :houllier:)
Giles Barnes (linked with everyone, then disappeared - think he is now in Canada)
Ravel must be up there.

ravi2

A few from the top of my head...

Jose Antonio Reyes
Vermaelen (went from star CB to benched captain)
Yorke fell from grace fairly quickly
Bostock (the next Gazza :houllier:)
Giles Barnes (linked with everyone, then disappeared - think he is now in Canada)
Ravel must be up there.

I back pretty much all LVG's decisions but Vermaelen made no sense and I am ecstatic we didnt get him.

manutddjw

Rio.

He was outstanding in Sir Alex's last season and in the span of 3 months turned into a liability. Some blame goes on Moyes, but it's quite evident he's not the same player that he was only about 16 months ago.

Bole Top

it's not that he fell from grace or anything like that, but I really believed that Oscar Cardozo will end up in clubs like Liverpool, Newcastle or Everton at some point. I don't get that move to Trabzonspor, he's not even that old.

also, Diego. he never really recaptured his form from Bremen in my opinion.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Rio.

He was outstanding in Sir Alex's last season and in the span of 3 months turned into a liability. Some blame goes on Moyes, but it's quite evident he's not the same player that he was only about 16 months ago.
Good one, Rio's level last season was just shocking.

For me Lee Sharpe has to be up there. Went from a United star player and England international to ending his career age 32 in Grindavik, Iceland.

How Edwin van der Sar ended up playing three seasons for Fulham is also a great mystery, especially since we were still fecking about trying to find a decent replacement for Schmeichel at the time.

Last edited: