Players who fell from grace almost overnight

Fahad Jawaid

Wayne Rooney , he's not even half the player he was all those years ago, i think he has improved his heading and finishing, but his overall play, his touches, his ability to run with the ball, the unpredictability is all gone, its the same every fecking week, receive the ball, pass it out to the flanks or receives it miscontrols it and gives it away, he was slightly better at the start of last season when he had a point to prove but he has become the same, people still go on about him being worldclass are deluded, he's a good striker who can score goals and linkup play but he's not more than that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Scored 39 in 45, then 41 in 51 games for Munich in 2010-12. Then disappeared without a trace. I think that can be considered a 'fall', don't you think so?
Those are just numbers but he was never truly accepted. When he first came to Bayern van Gaal said "Gomez is not my transfer", in the 2010WC he got to start the first game against Australia but was subbed off at half time and Klose was chosen ahead of him from that time on. In 2011/12 Bayern were supposedly trying very hard to sign Dzeko and it was around that time they supposedly also first contacted Lewandowski. At EURO12 he was subbed off for Klose at half time against Italy. Around that time Hoeneß publicly said something like "he's a good striker but not a very good one"
In 12/13 he still had the same goal scoring ratio as in the seasons before, but Mandzukic was chosen ahead of him. So he moved to Fiorentina where he injuries fecked him. Nothing sudden about that.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Now this is a list of players everyone has forgot

Stan Collymore
Lomana Lua Lua
Laurent Robert
Tore Andre Flo
Tim Flowers
Chris Sutton (in 1994 he was a British record signing at 5M for Blackburn Rovers)
Jody Morris
Cicinho
Anders Limpar
Carlo Cudincini
Jesper Gronkaer
Eiour Gudjohnsen
Chris Armstrong
Moussa Saib
Darren Anderton
Darren Huckerby
Mark Viduka
Alen Boksic
Frederic Kanoute
Juan Pablo Angel
Bixente Lizarazu
Stefen Effenberg
David Trezequet
Patrice Loko

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Stan Collymore
Lomana Lua Lua
Laurent Robert
Tore Andre Flo
Tim Flowers
Chris Sutton (in 1994 he was a British record signing at 5M for Blackburn Rovers)
Jody Morris
Cicinho
Anders Limpar
Carlo Cudincini
Jesper Gronkaer
Eiour Gudjohnsen
Chris Armstrong
Moussa Saib
Darren Anderton
Darren Huckerby
Mark Viduka
Alen Boksic
Frederic Kanoute
Juan Pablo Angel
Bixente Lizarazu
Stefen Effenberg
David Trezequet

Patrice Loko
what?:confused:
What do u even mean by everyone else forgot?
Those 3 player were amazing for a number of years

BorisontheRock

Our own Andrei Kanchelskis, was amazing got sold yo Everton under mention of mob pressure and dropped like a stone....

Bole Top

Mancini. I think he was about 27 or 28 when he joined Inter, but he completely disappeared after that.

montpelier

Veron looked like a masterstroke, god knows what happened (injuries perhaps)
SAF said he wouldn't play a position. But it is true JSV kept getting injured and therfore not getting a decent run of games. The swap of Stam for Blanc didn't help anything around that time, apart from guarantee there would probably be goals at one end or the other.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Bixente Lizarazu
Stefen Effenberg
David Trezequet
What. The. feck??

Lizarazu was a starter for Bayern deep into his thirties. Afaik he's a legend to the fans and went down in the history as one of the club's all time greats.
Effenberg even was Bayern's captain until his mid thirties. If you ask people in Germany (across clubs) who was the biggest leader in the past 15-20 years they will probably name him right after Ballack.
If memory serves me right Trezeguet was a starter for Juventus with a good goal scoring record past his 30th birthday until a knee injury fecked him.

Shaydee

Maybe never at that high of a level but what about Collins John? From scoring 11 goals in the Prem with Fulham in 2005/06 to falling down to the Championship to the Netherlands, Belgium, MLS, Azerbaijan, Iran, League Two, Poland, and most recently being released by a third division side in the USA. Has scored 10 goals since that season. Still just 28 years old.

Loublaze

ATLien
What. The. feck??

Lizarazu was a starter for Bayern deep into his thirties. Afaik he's a legend to the fans and went down in the history as one of the club's all time greats.
Effenberg even was Bayern's captain until his mid thirties. If you ask people in Germany (across clubs) who was the biggest leader in the past 15-20 years they will probably name him right after Ballack.
If memory serves me right Trezeguet was a starter for Juventus with a good goal scoring record past his 30th birthday until a knee injury fecked him.
Fair enough

Bole Top

how about Wesley Sneijder? some people were calling him "pub player" during the last world cup and he's only 30. I'd even argue that he stopped being good enough for top clubs after 2011.

Kallech33

My happy place. Where I kill more than time.
Don't know how some people could mention Pizarro. He played his best football after he left Chelsea and it's not like he was amazing at Bayern (always just 2nd choice behind first Elber and then Makaay).
Pizarro was often Bremens best player and carried them on his shoulders, especially after Özil left.
And even now he is a good joker for Bayern despite turning 36 in a month.

games| goals+assists| minutes per goal or assist​
13/14.....26| 15| 58
12/13.....28| 22| 50
11/12.....29| 28| 90 <-- last season at bremen aged 33
10/11.....29| 20| 117
09/10.....40| 39| 84
08/09.....46| 34| 114

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
He's retired now but a bit of a **** hero of mine from the late nineties to early noughties and that man is Djalminha once of Deportivo la Coruna.

Lightening quick, and in my opinion blessed with better skills and dribbling ability than Ronaldinho. His set pieces (pens and direct fk) were ruthless, deadly accurate, and fecking awesome. He was somewhat of a late bloomer but was destined to go to the 2002 world cup to jizz his skills in front of the planet before punching the Deportivo manager in a training ground bust up. A hefty ban and a number of loan outs to Austrian and Mexican sides effectively ended the troublesome genius' career..Which is a damn fecking shame!

Before my parents got sky in when I was younger I used to get my mate to tape a lot of the footy matches on his sky which is where he first caught my eye. When he was on song he was fecking frightening!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's retired now but a bit of a **** hero of mine from the late nineties to early noughties and that man is Djalminha once of Deportivo la Coruna.

Lightening quick, and in my opinion blessed with better skills and dribbling ability than Ronaldinho. His set pieces (pens and direct fk) were ruthless, deadly accurate, and fecking awesome. He was somewhat of a late bloomer but was destined to go to the 2002 world cup to jizz his skills in front of the planet before punching the Deportivo manager in a training ground bust up. A hefty ban and a number of loan outs to Austrian and Mexican sides effectively ended the troublesome genius' career..Which is a damn fecking shame!

Before my parents got sky in when I was younger I used to get my mate to tape a lot of the footy matches on his sky which is where he first caught my eye. When he was on song he was fecking frightening!
The guy was a genius on the pitch. His rainbow flick pass in the oppositions area is breath taking.

Mancini. I think he was about 27 or 28 when he joined Inter, but he completely disappeared after that.
I remember he was always highly rated on Pro Evo and I never got why, I remember his stepovers goal but nothing else about his career. Think he's still in jail for rape.

NessunDorma

Danny Cadamarteri
Noel Whelan
Darren Caskey
Darius Vassell
Michael Ricketts
Francis Jeffers

Skywarden

Luis Garcia springs to mind, specifically after his Liverpool stint. Simao Sabrosa was very good at Benfica but then decided to turn not so good for the rest of his career.

Member 39557

Sergei rebrov. Was good enough for kiev (alongside shevchenko if memory serves) for spurs to sign him for a club record fee. Ended up being dropped, then loaned out to fenerbache

NessunDorma

Im not sure any of them were ever regarded as being very very good players in the first instance.
3 England internationals, one England international youth captain who was regarded as a better prospect than both Nick Barmby and Sol Campbell, and two young strikers who were very much considered the 'next big thing' in the mid-90s.

zing

Zingle balls
Maybe never at that high of a level but what about Collins John? From scoring 11 goals in the Prem with Fulham in 2005/06 to falling down to the Championship to the Netherlands, Belgium, MLS, Azerbaijan, Iran, League Two, Poland, and most recently being released by a third division side in the USA. Has scored 10 goals since that season. Still just 28 years old.
:lol: most random shout in this thread but that is pretty bizarre

NessunDorma

:lol: most random shout in this thread but that is pretty bizarre
Why I said Francis Jeffers as well. Signed by Arsenal for £8m in 2001, at a time when they were challenging us for the title of best side in the country, and touted as a Lineker like 'fox in the box'. Won two F.A. Cups with them, made his England debut at the same time as Rooney, and actually scored.

He's netted a total of 39 goals in the following 13 years - i.e. an average of 3 goals a season - including for such giants as Newcastle Jets, Accrington Stanley, Motherwell and Floriana (Maltese second division side).

gormless

Michael Johnson.
Came through at City under Sven. Next Colin Bell. Scored some great goals, looked a genuinely great prospect, linked to Arsenal and Liverpool as City were still mid table irrelevances prior to Arab money. Eventually became their Anderson, hanging round the club for about 5 years after he last played a game due to injury. Now found in "Michael Johnson, remember him," articles, accompanied with photos of him being fat in kebab shops

Longlivekeano

Citeh's Michael Johnson is a good shout. Was brilliant in driving Citeh's pre- Sheikh midfield. Could also add Micah Richards to the list. Seemed destined to be the next Sol Cambell, then flopped big time. Could also add Deportivo's left footed forward sold to Newcastle who scores shitloads in La Liga only to turn shite in Newscastle. On that note, Emre was also shite for Newcastle after doing well in Inter Milan

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I remember this guy well. He went to Austria Wien and I was scared shitless of him when the move was announced (I'm a Rapid Wien guy myself), but was reliefed when he turned into a flop. Pretty much never showed the glimpses of genius he was capable of in spain.

Cockney-Red

Djalminha was absolute quality, so charismatic to watch.

I remember that team Deportivo had with Djalminha, Juan Carlos Valeron and the partnership of Roy Makaay and Diego Tristan banging the goals in up front.

littlepeasoup

Michael Johnson. Not that he was ever particularly 'in grace' but he fell SO hard I thought he deserved a mention.

I'd actually forgot his name in a brief moment of my memory being shite. All I had to do was type 'fat city player' into Google. Bingo.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
To be honest I remember Torres being shit in his last two seasons at Liverpool as well. He just went complete dogshite. Never regained his initial form.
When you get injured and yet you're rushed back and constantly played because the only other options are Voronin or N'Gog then it's gonna take it's toll.

If he didn't play for Liverpool then it would've been really sad at the time because he was the best striker in the world around that time.