Players with rude-sounding names

karan316

The Bender brothers who play for 1860... they're supposed to be quite good too

Oh Bum-Suk - full Korean international

Paul Dickov

The Law of Denis

Julian Dicks,

Martin Jol has two brothers called Dick and Cock

"'My poor brother. He has to go around and introduce himself as Cornelius to everyone now. It's stupid. Cock is just a nickname in Holland, a short version of his name. I mean, what's so funny about that? It's his name and my other brother's name is Dick. This is normal in Holland."

:lol::lol::lol:

paulthesinger

Djorkaef and Van Hooijdonk.
My ex thought their names were Jerkoff and Van Hugedong!

Viper KGB

Ars Bandeet
This one could be an urban legend, but apparently this was the name of an Algerian international in the 1970s.

Dudu

Nwankwo Kanu

Roberto López Ufarte

David Batty

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Oh feck off you miserable twat.

He played for CSKA Moscow in the 50s I think.
It's really irritating when you hear jerk-off, but in reality, his name doesn't sound anything like that, not even close. You feel for the lad.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It is actually fairly similar, the English j is just zh (ʒ) with a d before it. If you're from the many regions that pronounce the post-vocalic r, like America, Ireland, most of Scotland or South-West England then it's only really the quality of the vowel that's different. But you don't have to be from those places to 'hear' the pun, because we're very used to hearing those native speakers and most foreigners pronouncing the r in jerk-off.

It's about as similar to 'jerk-off' as 'Spink' is to 'spunk', ie really quite similar

I hope this helps

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
It is actually fairly similar, the English j is just zh (ʒ) with a d before it. If you're from the many regions that pronounce the post-vocalic r, like America, Ireland, most of Scotland or South-West England then it's only really the quality of the vowel that's different. But you don't have to be from those places to 'hear' the pun, because we're very used to hearing those native speakers and most foreigners pronouncing the r in jerk-off.

It's about as similar to 'jerk-off' as 'Spink' is to 'spunk'

I hope this helps
I thought you weren't supposed to reach 1,000 posts....?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Apparently there was an Algerian international in the '70s called Ars Bandeet.

And also there's David Goodwillie.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter

It's about as similar to 'jerk-off' as 'Spink' is to 'spunk', ie really quite similar

I hope this helps
It's not. It's a sound that doesn't have an equivalent in English. I guess it would in French, where it would be like "j" but I don't know French.
The "v" is very hard v, you already mentioned the "r" and the accent on the word is different. When you combine those 4 things, it's doesn't sound anything like "jerk-off".

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It's not. It's a sound that doesn't have an equivalent in English.
Read what I wrote. The English 'j' is that sound with a 'd' in front of it.

Also, the equivalent sound does occur on its own in English, as in the 's' in 'pleasure'

The "v" is very hard v, you already mentioned the "r" and the accent on the word is different. When you combine those 4 things, it's doesn't sound anything like "jerk-off".
Russian final 'v' is pronounced 'f' - or at least, that's the English sound it's closest to.

The 'r' works fine because most English speakers do pronounce it, and those of us who don't hear it all the time.

The accent? Now you're really clutching at straws.

To sum up -

Russian pronunciation: ʒɨrkof

English pronunciation: dʒɝrkof / dʒɜːkof

In other words, very similar, certainly similar enought to make a reasonable pun on

I hope this helps