Playing out from the back...

Santoryo

ripping the reward
To say that ‘Barcelona didn’t lose because they tried to play out from the back’ isn’t the point. They conceded several chances because they tried to play out from the back. That is not what you want to do. Nobody is here arguing that not playing out from the back makes you go and beat better football teams ffs. We are arguing that doing it under great pressure increases the likelihood of chances against you.
Problems in themselves were with Barca rather than the tactic of playing out from the back even under increasing pressure. The moment you start hoofing it long under pressure it just invite and encourage the other team to keep pressing even harder thus basically conceding possession and be content with defending.

What happened with Barca is that they were complete clowns tonight, might be due to quality of players at the back or coaching patterns to get out of an intense press being poor. Teams well drilled and trained against intense press, get out of most of the feck up Barca were having tonight. I bet my money that we'll see City handle Bayern press much better than Barca and won't be resorting to random hoofing.

He'sRaldo

Pretty much this. Bayern themselves played out from the back and they did just fine, so claiming it's a bad tactic seems ridiculous.

Barca were simply clowns tonight.
Bayern hoofed it long a lot of times as well, and won the 2nd ball high up the pitch.

They clearly had scenarios ready for when they hoofed and when they played out, and were generally successful with both. That's a top team.

Foxbatt

If you play out from the back all the time, it's going to rebound especially when you play too teams.
There are situations to play out from the back and to play the long ball. It's stupid to kick it to the centre of the pitch anyway.
I am afraid that United is going to suffer if they play out from the back every time.

hmchan

Like I said in the Smalling post, many have a huge misunderstanding about playing out from the back. They somehow believe a team can play out from the back and control possession simply by having one or two defenders comfortable with the ball at his feet at the back. Fact is, a well-organized plan (e.g. how to provide options for teammates, how to create space, when to play it long etc.) is much more important than individual ability in buildup play. Barcelona demonstrated last night even they had plenty of great technical players.

RooneyLegend

Bayern hoofed it long a lot of times as well, and won the 2nd ball high up the pitch.

They clearly had scenarios ready for when they hoofed and when they played out, and were generally successful with both. That's a top team.
Exactly, passing out from the back when your team is being marked man on man is asking for trouble. Pretty much all teams who do so end up in trouble. Bayern passed it out when they could but the recognized when the couldn't and hoofed it forward. It also helps that when they pass it into midfield Thiago was able to navigate his way through tight spaces.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Exactly, passing out from the back when your team is being marked man on man is asking for trouble. Pretty much all teams who do so end up in trouble. Bayern passed it out when they could but the recognized when the couldn't and hoofed it forward. It also helps that when they pass it into midfield Thiago was able to navigate his way through tight spaces.
Bayern routinely passed it out when marked and pressed. That's the whole point of playing out of the back. Occasional longer diagonal passes are part of that game, not a deviation. Actual hoofing was only the last resort, and it was used rarely.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you hoof the ball against Bayern they will take the ball and pepper your goalkeeper, if you are shit at playing from the back their aggressive press will see you make mistakes and they will pepper your goalkeeper. There is a reason a why Bayern destroy everyone and it's not because the other teams are hipstery, it's because they reached a level that requires perfection from the opposition otherwise they make you look silly.

RooneyLegend

Bayern routinely passed it out when marked and pressed. That's the whole point of playing out of the back. Occasional longer diagonal passes are part of that game, not a deviation. Actual hoofing was only the last resort, and it was used rarely.
Pressed by who? You do know Messi and Suarez strolled around alot right?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Pressed by who? You do know Messi and Suarez strolled around alot right?
Didn't take notice who, but Barca did attack Bayern's buildup, forcing them to play themselves out of pressure numerous times. Pretty sure it must have been Suarez on Neuer in these instances.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn't take notice who, but Barca did attack Bayern's buildup, forcing them to play themselves out of pressure numerous times. Pretty sure it must have been Suarez on Neuer in these instances.
It was actually Messi, Suarez and Vidal more often than not.

Zlatans Knee

I think that the problem for Barca last night was that they had no pace up front. Bayern defended so high up the pitch that you needed pace in behind them to break that press. Instead, knowing that no matter what Kimmich and Davies would be able to get back if needed they could press with very low risk, unless Messi did something magical of course. I think they would have a harder time against, Pool with the pace of Mane or PSG with Mbappe. I really want to include us with Rashford but tbh he has not been setting the World alight with his football of late.

Eddy_JukeZ

That is an easy pass.

If that pass is made, the left CB is open for another easy pass and you've bypassed the press.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That is an easy pass.

If that pass is made, the left CB is open for another easy pass and you've bypassed the press.
You know what’s easier? Booting the ball to your 6’4 striker instead of trying to play out whilst being pressed and avoiding conceding a goal.

Eddy_JukeZ

You know what’s easier? Booting the ball to your 6’4 striker instead of trying to play out whilst being pressed and avoiding conceding a goal.
Well yeah if you want to do that and limit your team.

There's no guarantee your striker will win every single aerial duel.

Nick7

That is an easy pass.

But it wasn't, and they didn't. They conceded. Passing out from the back has a time and a place. Even if they got it to the left centre back, there was nowhere for him to go with it with two PSG players in front of him.

Eddy_JukeZ

But it wasn't, and they didn't. They conceded. Passing out from the back has a time and a place.

If the only time you're going to pass out the back is from zero pressure, then that is a rarity.

Of course the fact they conceded will change the perspective from this situation.

Nick7

If the only time you're going to pass out the back is from zero pressure, then that is a rarity.

Of course the fact they conceded will change the perspective from this situation.
They were struggling all half with passing. Not just from the back, but all over the pitch it was eventually going to cost them and it did. The left centre back had a single open option, which was the left wing back who was covered by a PSG player. As I said, there's a time and a place for passing out from the back, 40 minutes into a poor passing performance, with all players covered is not the time to play a pass like that to the centre of the pitch.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
From the handful of times I've seen them under the reign of Arteta, I've liked their playing out from the back. Despite predominantly being young, the players seem to have the personality and confidence to take those risks.

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

With Saka, they have a young player who has great decision making from what I've seen. He's already played as a marauding full back camping in the third and fourth phase of attack, left winger, and as a right sided attacker. His positional fluidity is an asset to the side, as he hasn't looked out of place when carrying out different roles. Should Niles stay, I think the use of an inverted full back will continue to pay dividends for them. Should he stay, it will be interesting to see how he compares with Kyle Walker, and Ayling in that role. The dynamic on the left is quite interesting. Kolasinac has experience playing as a full back which makes him a decent choice as the split left sided CB, Niles' experience in midfield aides him well as an inverted full back, entering into the half spaces and facilitating, Aubameyang another multifunctional player that can operate as both a left inside forward, and a more centralized role.

The Europa League battle between Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs, and I suspect Leeds might very well be interesting.
I've only seen a handful of Arsenal games under Arteta, but its been a noticeable feat in the games I've seen

hmchan

I've only seen a handful of Arsenal games under Arteta, but its been a noticeable feat in the games I've seen

The key difference is that they have a well-drilled pattern in sending the ball from back to front. We, however, rely very much on individual quality in doing so. That's why we are often caught at the back and our defenders struggle to find an option playing out.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
All the moves finished off by Auba.
Auba was unlucky not to score in a similar vein against Southampton. These were the exact words of Sky commentators - ''typical Southampton that, a real high energy pressing side, no flag here ooo Aubameyang.'' I'm talking about when Arsenal bypassed Southampton's press resulting in Auba's shot coming in off the crossbar. There's a pattern of the fullback being the one to make the final pass, that takes the game out of the 1st phase.

flappyjay

Auba was unlucky not to score in a similar vein against Southampton. These were the exact words of Sky commentators - ''typical Southampton that, a real high energy pressing side, no flag here ooo Aubameyang.'' I'm talking about when Arsenal bypassed Southampton's press resulting in Auba's shot coming in off the crossbar. There's a pattern of the fullback being the one to make the final pass, that takes the game out of the 1st phase.
Oh yeah I definitely noticed that about the entire move. Arsenal fans are right to be so optimistic about Arteta.