Playing the same team twice in a row

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is it just me or does this happen to us a lot?

Feels like every season we draw a PL team in the cup and just happen to be playing them in the league that same week (or a game gets rescheduled as a double header). The odds of it happening once are probably quite high but so many times is mental.

2020/21

Brighton vs United - 26th Sept 2020 (Prem)
Brighton vs United - 30th Sept 2020 (Carabao)

2021/22

West Ham vs United - 19th Sept 2021 (Prem)
United vs West Ham - 22nd Sept 2021 (Carabao)

United vs Aston Villa - 10th Jan 2022 (FA Cup)
Aston Villa vs United - 15th Jan 2022 (Prem)

2022/23

Aston Villa vs United - 6th Nov 2022 (Prem)
United vs Aston Villa - 10th Nov 2022 (Carabao)

United vs Leeds - 8th Feb 2023 (Prem)
Leeds vs United - 12th Feb 2023 (Prem)

2023/24

United vs Palace - 26th Sept 2023 (Carabao)
United vs Palace - 30th Sept 2023 (Prem)

Skills

Snitch
Yeah not a fan. If you win the first, you know you're fecked in the second one.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve noticed this. What makes it worse is we never manage to beat the team twice.
We did beat Brighton twice in that first one but yeah I think apart from that we've never won both. It's almost like you've got to choose which one you want to try and win and just sack off the other.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Happened with Wolves few seasons ago as well didn't it?
I thought this but couldn't find it. I think maybe we just drew them a lot? Or there was another team in-between the games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I hate it, it's pretty unlikely to beat the same team twice in a few days. Feels like the chance of an upset drastically increases.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Wasn't it against Newcastle last season too?

InTheHole

Was it Chelsea - Liverpool that played eachother 3 times in a row once? Think it was a league game sandwiched between 2 champions league ties.

King Eric 7

Weird feeling of football - when this happens, we always win the cup game and draw/lose the PL game (probably isn't true, didn't check).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Weird feeling of football - when this happens, we always win the cup game and draw/lose the PL game (probably isn't true, didn't check).
It's been a mix. But we only won both games against Brighton. The rest we lost/drew the other.

BarcaSpurs

If you play a Prem Team in a cup, you have a slightly higher than 2/19 chance of facing them in either the Prem match before or after it. Considering you've sometimes played 7+ cup matches against Prem teams in the last few seasons, I don't think its too unlikely to happen tbh.

21/22 was pretty weird though, 2 occurrences from just 2 cup matches against PL teams!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you play a Prem Team in a cup, you have a slightly higher than 2/19 chance of facing them in either the Prem match before or after it. Considering you've sometimes played 7+ cup matches against Prem teams in the last few seasons, I don't think its too unlikely to happen tbh.
Does it happen to other Prem teams? I've likely not noticed if it does due to obviously paying more attention to my club but it doesn't feel like it happens to many others.

IRN-BRUno

I thought Wolves too but the closest I can see is 2019 when we played them away twice in 3 games and lost both 2-1 with Watford in between.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought Wolves too but the closest I can see is 2019 when we played them away twice in 3 games and lost both 2-1 with Watford in between.
I still have nightmares about playing Wolves multiple times.

norm87cro

Why not? If the team is playing great. Not the case with us though. We are going to ship in even more goals with Lindelof as our first CB option

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I think it happened with Chelsea and Man City last season. EFL Cup then a league game?

peridigm

I thought this but couldn't find it. I think maybe we just drew them a lot? Or there was another team in-between the games.
May have been another in-between. I think it was under Ole though.

Yeah, found it. We lost 2-1 Wolves, won 2-1 against Watford, then lost 2-1 Wolves again. Just as I suspected, under Ole. March-April 2019.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No one else find this ridiculous then? :lol:
I find it absolutely bizarre - and I feel like it happens to other teams too, its weird.

I hate playing sides twice in a row, almost as much as I hate playing Sevilla... almost.

Robertd0803

Was it Chelsea - Liverpool that played eachother 3 times in a row once? Think it was a league game sandwiched between 2 champions league ties.
It felt like 2007 they played each other every week.

If its the trio of games Im thinking of both the CL games were classics and the league game was the most boring game in existence at the time :lol:

GazTheLegend

21/22 was pretty weird though, 2 occurrences from just 2 cup matches against PL teams!
Essentially, we just draw a ridiculous number of games vs premier league teams vs the likes of (for instance) Man City who draw absolutely nobody of note until the semi-finals of most tournaments they're in

El Zoido

Yeah not a fan. If you win the first, you know you're fecked in the second one.
I’ve noticed this. What makes it worse is we never manage to beat the team twice.
We did beat Brighton twice in that first one but yeah I think apart from that we've never won both. It's almost like you've got to choose which one you want to try and win and just sack off the other.
Yeah I hate it, it's pretty unlikely to beat the same team twice in a few days. Feels like the chance of an upset drastically increases.
I hate how easy this was to predict.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Said before the game to my dad - we’ll probably struggle massively in one and win the other knowing us.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yep this was always gonna happen. We seem to win the cup one and lose the league one often too.