Playoff to decide the Premier League?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Only Liverpool and Man City can mathematically win the title now. Would a playoff final at Wembley be fair to determine the premier league winner of 19/20? Who would be the favourite?

Red Stone

I think we can all agree that the only fair thing to do is to void the league entirely and forget it ever happened.

Dante

Average bang
No, feck that.

A league format decides the best team through matches between every side home and away. Without that process, you can't decide a league champion.

Sure, you can declare the best performing team up to any given point. The best performing team and the actual champions only become one and the same on the last day of the season.

No playoff can be a valid shortcut for crowning a team as league champions without a full season. It's a contradiction in terms.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No, feck that.

A league format decides the best team through matches between every side home and away. Without that process, you can't decide a league champion.

Sure, you can declare the best performing team up to any given point. The best performing team and the actual champions only become one and the same on the last day of the season.

No playoff can be a valid shortcut for crowning a team as league champions without a full season. It's a contradiction in terms.
Wouldn't that be an issue to decide between the teams who up to a certain point can mathematically challenge for the league?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Nah, it wouldn't be fair in any way. Better to void than have a playoff. Not that I care, but imagine unfair it would be if City won it. And if Liverpool won it it wouldn't mean much.

stepic

It’s clearly not fair. Why should City have a 50% chance of winning the league when Liverpool are 2 games away from winning it? It should be a pisstake thread but it sounds like the OP is actually serious.

Tarrou

nothing is fair now no matter which option you chose

#NULLANDVOIDIT

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
And playoff to decide who to get relegate too? Mathematically speaking, there are 16 teams (Including us) are possible to get relegate if they loss all the remaining games. I am not sure many clubs would agree to playoff for relegation?

And how about top 4 for CL? Mathematically speaking, there are 19 teams possible to finish top 4, if they won all of their remaining games too.

So basically, we can let all the Premierleague teams in knockout competition to decide. Maybe seeding system according to current standing? Would be funny if Liverpool or City get relegated somehow, its cup competition after all, anything could happen in one-off match (or 2 legs)

Last edited:

thepolice123

Its a bad idea even from our viewpoint.

Compared to Chelsea, we have by far the easier fixtures till the end of season. Majority of their opposition are in the top half of the table including City, Liverpool and Wolves whereas ours are in the bottom half.

Allowing this playoff system would take away our advantageous position and undermining our double against City and Chelsea.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
A play off show only arise if after the full 38 games have been played two teams are level on points and goal difference.
Null and void otherwise.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only Liverpool and Man City can mathematically win the title now. Would a playoff final at Wembley be fair to determine the premier league winner of 19/20? Who would be the favourite?
They also need to decide the CL places.

So my guess is that they will either fix the season as it is now or have a top 8 playoff to decide the whole thing or perhaps award Liverpool the title and then have a CL place playoff.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Nothing is fair, let’s look at current form to determine TOP 4 and bottom 3 in the last 6 games. Utd would be one of the TOP teams and Spurs would be relegated. :)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This calls for David Gill and his unbiased decision making skills.

Or Ed Woodward with years of experience in alarming situations.

Red_toad

No, feck that.

Maybe you should study Australian sports rules, a final followed by a grand final, after playing a full league fixture list. Terrible system, but Aussies lap it up. I don't understand how anyone can get beaten in play offs to decide a Championship, but it does happen.

Chicharo

No. As much as we hate it, Liverpool are the champions
I am more concerned about our position and next year's participation in the CL.
Scousers deserve it

lysglimt

Scout
Consiering City today have about 0,0001% chance of winning the league, you think it would be fair to give thema 50% chance of winning the League in a play-off game. Either Liverpool win or none at all - certainly not City

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No. As much as we hate it, Liverpool are the champions
I am more concerned about our position and next year's participation in the CL.
Scousers deserve it
They're definitely not champions yet.

If the league starts up again they'll win it but as of now Man City are champs.

I bet most Liverpool fans would not truly accept or celebrate a title win if they don't actually win it on the field.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A league to find the true champion must be where all teams play each other home and away. I'm sure thats written into the EPL rules and constitution.

In my opinion, even one game short of that makes it null and void. I'd think the same if United were 25 points clear after a 30 year wait to be champions too.

rules be rulz, else what's the point having them?

rosenthal

No one is catching Liverpool this season, if no more games are to be played then they should be awarded the title. Will always have an * next to it though.

CL spots and relegation could be decided from a single or double round of play off between
Manchester City - Arsenal
Leicester City - Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea - Sheffield United
Manchester United - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Brighton & Hove Albion - Norwich City
West Ham United - Aston Villa
Watford - Bournemouth

No need for a FA Cup winner
Let everyone in the Premier League that want Europa League spot to be included in a draw for the spots.

Simple and reasonable

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The only way a play off is fair is that every 1 pts lead = 1 goal lead.

Tie on pts : 0-0
1 pts advantage : Starts at 1-0 aggregate
22 pts advantage : starts at 22-0 aggregate

I think it'll reflect better. Winning 23-0 in a game is as unlikely as chasing up 22 pts with 10 games to play

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
No! No! No!
No playoff competitions. No anything. Null and void it. Start again.

TheLiverBird

22 points clear

and you think a playoff is acceptable :lol::lol::lol:

shake your head, City don’t remotely deserve that incredible opportunity

The League was won weeks ago

MrPooni

Fine. But then call it the Premier League Cup, because that what it becomes.
That's actually perfect. Throw the scousers a newly minted tin pot and declare them the first and last winners.

Chicharo

They're definitely not champions yet.

If the league starts up again they'll win it but as of now Man City are champs.

I bet most Liverpool fans would not truly accept or celebrate a title win if they don't actually win it on the field.
Think so? They have been waiting for 30+ years, they'll accept anything. And, as I have already said, they deserve it.
Feck them, I just don't want to see us playin the EL again

LInkash

Consiering City today have about 0,0001% chance of winning the league, you think it would be fair to give thema 50% chance of winning the League in a play-off game. Either Liverpool win or none at all - certainly not City
It wouldn't be a 50% chance though if Liverpool are truly better than a city. Offer that to Liverpool, I'm sure they would have the self belief and accept it.

Snafu17

No one is catching Liverpool this season, if no more games are to be played then they should be awarded the title. Will always have an * next to it though.

CL spots and relegation could be decided from a single or double round of play off between
Manchester City - Arsenal
Leicester City - Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea - Sheffield United
Manchester United - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Brighton & Hove Albion - Norwich City
West Ham United - Aston Villa
Watford - Bournemouth

No need for a FA Cup winner
Let everyone in the Premier League that want Europa League spot to be included in a draw for the spots.

Simple and reasonable
If we have to face Wolves two more times I'm going to cry.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Think so? They have been waiting for 30+ years, they'll accept anything. And, as I have already said, they deserve it.
Feck them, I just don't want to see us playin the EL again
If the Premier League boss comes out in a few weeks and says"we're going to award the title to Liverpool", this title will always be seen by fans as not quite right.

Are Liverpool the best team in the country this season? Sure. Would they win the league if they had the chance? Sure. Are they champions? Nope.

I don't really care if they get awarded the title but it will always be the 2019/2020* title and I think Liverpool fans don't want that.