Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

Jacob

I hope PS4 will have 3D effects, with or without glasses

WeasteDevil

I hope PS4 will have 3D effects, with or without glasses
Eurogamer: What you're doing here is something I can really appreciate... taking something that's there in the home and being pushed beyond its original design specifications. Although having said that, the original PS3 specs talked about dual HDMI ports and 120Hz outputs. Ken Kutaragi really was thinking ahead of his time there.

Ian Bickerstaff: When I joined Evolution Studios, that was one of the reasons I joined. It's got two outputs! Connect that to two projectors and you've got 3D! It's ironic because the format that's now in PS3 is actually much more elegant and simple than that. Only one HDMI but it's producing that quality. It was a happy ending but it was a little annoying when I discovered that they'd removed that second HDMI port.
Tech Interview: PlayStation 3D | DigitalFoundry

Lance Uppercut

I think it's more likely that Weaste will explode when he sees this.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
No surprise if true. Kinect seems to be selling loads.

I dont like the way consoles are heading.

Rahul

Keen to put an end to rumours that Sony will be unveiling the PS4 within the year Tretton announced: “Technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have.”

Further looking to bolster the credentials of the aging PS3 Tretton added: “We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we’ve got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn’t look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time.”

With Nintendo having officially unveiled the Wii U at this year’s E3 convention with the famed casual gaming giant launching its first HD console Tretton believes the PS3’s age will not see it slip to the second-gen Wii. ”What we’ve seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3,” he stated.
PlayStation 4 release date 'not for quite some time' says Sony | T3 magazine

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I would like to see this generation stick around for a lot longer anyways.

Wonder with Xbox next move will be.

Can they re release it with a bly ray add on? If so, why wouldnt they already have done so?

EvilChuck

What I dont understand is why some people seem so desperate for the PS4 to come out already. When they then see something happen they put 2 and 2 together and end up with 45632665654673215874312586. 'Wii U is coming out, which means the start of the next gen, which must mean that a new Xbox will be out soon.... which obviously means a PS4 because Sony will want the headstart in sales on Xbox this time', despite the fact that all logic dictates the PS3 has alot of untapped potential, whereas the Wii and Xbox need upgrading to get on to the PS3's level.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
What I dont understand is why some people seem so desperate for the PS4 to come out already. When they then see something happen they put 2 and 2 together and end up with 45632665654673215874312586. 'Wii U is coming out, which means the start of the next gen, which must mean that a new Xbox will be out soon.... which obviously means a PS4 because Sony will want the headstart in sales on Xbox this time', despite the fact that all logic dictates the PS3 has alot of untapped potential, whereas the Wii and Xbox need upgrading to get on to the PS3's level.
@Weaste and EvilChuck, just how much more powerful is the PS3 compared to the XBOX 360 graphics wise? (In layman's terms please Weaste). Can the PS3 run anything better graphically than say GOW 3 and if so, just how much better?

WeasteDevil

@Weaste and EvilChuck, just how much more powerful is the PS3 compared to the XBOX 360 graphics wise? (In layman's terms please Weaste). Can the PS3 run anything better graphically than say GOW 3 and if so, just how much better?
Errrm! That's a 50 million dollar question. Let's just say that the PS3 has more room to manoeuvre than the XB360 has due to the Cell CPU, HDD as standard, and 50GB discs. The PS3 GPU is not as good as the XB360 one in certain tasks, however it has a CPU that destroys the XB360 CPU and was designed in such a way that it can do GPU like things to help out. The major problem with both consoles however is RAM, or rather the lack of it. PS3 has an advantage here in a way that every unit has a HDD, thus asset streaming technology becomes more viable.

WeasteDevil

I'm getting sneeky suspicion of what Sony are going to do. It all goes back to the MC68000 days when they used to have what was known as an FPU (floating point unit) on a totally separate chip to the CPU, the 68881/2.

I think that PS4 will do what IBM did the Roadrunner (used a lot of AMD CPUs supported by a mass of Cells), and use a Cell to do the heavy lifting. What I mean here is that they will go for a standard OoO core, maybe a 4 core Power7 or an AMD CPU, and have the Cell hanging off it as a co-processor.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I've been thinking about it, and PlayStation may make a mistake not releasing the PS4 first. When Xbox did it with the 360, a large chunk of the gaming community "could not wait" and simply never came back. Having never really spoken to many "360" fans until this year I never appreciated it.

If Playstation could release a device which was as good as what Microsoft will release 2 years later, early, then they have won haven't they?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It's not random, you are not getting one soon. PS3 is going to be bled dry. They are going to let Nintendo and Microsoft fanny about, it's not thought that a revision is required.
Absolute bullshit. Kazanori Yamauchi himself has said that the PS3 is limited to what he can do as have countless 1st party game builders. They'll get a new one out asap. He won't release another GT this console generation, nor will he wait another 2 and a half years for the other. Naughty Dog won't wait 3 years to release another Uncharted either.

Sorry Weaste but this latest generation showed enough how damaging waiting was for Sony.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I think that first mover advantage between Sony and Microsoft is going to be really important. I still see Nintendo gaining the second console/kids share of the market leaving MS and Sony to vie for the so called hardcore crowd. If Microsoft gets a decent head start and the consoles are pretty well matched for spec and price then I think Sony will have problems initially with sales. Usually it is a good while after launch that the developers are able to fully utilize the console. If Sony are late they may have to compete with a large install base of MS as well as the release of some killer apps.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As I argued on here with the release of 3/360 (and have been proven right) they will be almost identical in power (or at least appear that way). M$ will do the same old keep adding extra bits and Sony will do their usual 'uber processor' thing.

Sony had the chance to blow everyone away after the huge success of the PSX, but they don't seem to beable to innovate and capture the imagination of worldwide gamers, plus by trying to be clever (ps2 architecture I'm looking at you!) And still not having the greatest developer support, they are restricting their machines to ports rather than stand out versions (which both the 2 and 3 were definitely capable of).

The PS4 will no doubt once again be a technical masterpiece, but if they do release it a year or two late, they'll lose ground even more. The industry is again changing and with each generation of new gamer the lines between product loyalty are blurred more and more. I hope they don't take this gamble, but they don't exactly seem to be the best at planning these things, so I think they may.

Cina

As I argued on here with the release of 3/360 (and have been proven right) they will be almost identical in power (or at least appear that way). M$ will do the same old keep adding extra bits and Sony will do their usual 'uber processor' thing.

Sony had the chance to blow everyone away after the huge success of the PSX, but they don't seem to beable to innovate and capture the imagination of worldwide gamers, plus by trying to be clever (ps2 architecture I'm looking at you!) And still not having the greatest developer support, they are restricting their machines to ports rather than stand out versions (which both the 2 and 3 were definitely capable of).

The PS4 will no doubt once again be a technical masterpiece, but if they do release it a year or two late, they'll lose ground even more. The industry is again changing and with each generation of new gamer the lines between product loyalty are blurred more and more. I hope they don't take this gamble, but they don't exactly seem to be the best at planning these things, so I think they may.
I'd say they were happy enough with the sales of the PS2, somehow.

Redlambs

I'd say they were happy enough with the sales of the PS2, somehow.
I'm not saying they wouldn't be. But what I am saying is they could have, through better support for a start, really pushed on and stunted M$'s entry to the market. Now M$ have probably a much stronger foothold than they should have.

The problem is they don't seem to learn from mistakes, and holding back a new machine for a year or even two after your rivals is going to be another. It's a technology race and as the company best equipped to push new technology, they really should be taking charge.

WeasteDevil

Possibly, but all "information" points to XBNEXT and WiiU being nothing more than slight updates on what we have now. PS3, if they can get their 1st parties organised can live in that environment.

There is no need for a PS4 at this point. Most people can't really see the difference between DVD and BD for example, and if they can, it's minimal. You can't discount the userbase that's there, over 120m XB360s and PS3s, third party software is not going to disappear.

If there is no significant leap in performance other than more 6x more powerful GPUs, the general consumer will not notice the difference. There will be nothing that the new hardware can do in comparison the current units that cannot be done in some shape or form on the current units. You only have to look at Uncharted to see this. What could to do better on a high end PC? Resolution, AA, texture filtering? Wii should have told us something about that in that there are around 120 million consumers that don't give a shit.

Now, if the CBE can be removed from graphics tasks with a powerful GPU, it's possible that you could see a difference. You see knobends arguing that it's not needed, that a GPU in GPGPU mode can do everything that a CBE can, they can't! A GPU is highly efficient yes, but only when tasks are suited to very high parallelisation, which most tasks are not, 32 SPEs for example would smoke any GPU at tasks that are not suited to massive parallel processing.

You could run AmigaOS on one SPE if you wanted to do so.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Possibly, but all "information" points to XBNEXT and WiiU being nothing more than slight updates on what we have now. PS3, if they can get their 1st parties organised can live in that environment.

There is no need for a PS4 at this point. Most people can't really see the difference between DVD and BD for example, and if they can, it's minimal. You can't discount the userbase that's there, over 120m XB360s and PS3s, third party software is not going to disappear.

If there is no significant leap in performance other than more 6x more powerful GPUs, the general consumer will not notice the difference. There will be nothing that the new hardware can do in comparison the current units that cannot be done in some shape or form on the current units. You only have to look at Uncharted to see this. What could to do better on a high end PC? Resolution, AA, texture filtering? Wii should have told us something about that in that there are around 120 million consumers that don't give a shit.

Now, if the CBE can be removed from graphics tasks with a powerful GPU, it's possible that you could see a difference. You see knobends arguing that it's not needed, that a GPU in GPGPU mode can do everything that a CBE can, they can't! A GPU is highly efficient yes, but only when tasks are suited to very high parallelisation, which most tasks are not, 32 SPEs for example would smoke any GPU at tasks that are not suited to massive parallel processing.

Agreed that the difference probably won't be that noticeably improved. As an example the WiiU demo of Zelda looked great but could probably be achievable on Xbox or PS3. There is only so far they can go with graphics until people just don't care. People bought into the Wii despite being only marginally better in terms of graphics than the Gamecube. I can understand Nintendo releasing a new console if it is more innovative but chances are that Sony and Microsoft will probably just disappoint consumers if they focus on raw power as the layman probably won't notice a significant improvement.

The consoles we have now are fine, but consumers love new electronic products...

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Whilst that makes perfect sense, there are many people who will instead of waiting for the ps4, will instead buy the wii u or the nextbox and in any case kaz hirai's latest interview suggests that the ps4 won't be a power house either, which inturn indicates to me that they're going to launch not too long after the other too. Given that Sony just posted a loss of $2bn for the HOLIDAY period, I doubt Sony are in any position to put cutting edge tech and sell for a loss in the ps4. Doesn't their debt stand at something like $130bn and whilst assets are only $150bn? They simply can't afford to get it wrong with the next console and timing will be key IMO.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Gran Turismo 5 pushes the PS3 to it's absolutely maximum and the console struggles to deliver what is expected from it. It's not a flawless 60fps and the screen tearing isn't great. PD have done their best to smooth issues but they can't reduce issues raised by the flaws and limitations of the console. Developers like EA and co will never max out consoles because their games are cheap pieces of shite, but the good developers IE first party dev's, will start getting annoyed.

PC games have already started making console games like last gen and it was about the same time in the cycle that there was a significant push to new consoles.

Obviously graphics won't improve to such a level as 2nd gen to 3rd gen, physics advancements and frame rate stability will substantially.

Redlambs

My point still stands. Graphical advancements aside, Sony cannot afford to let time pass. It's not a smart move, and anyone who has worked with them will tell you the computer entertainment division still have a lot to improve upon.

Unless they plan more than a couple years gap and aim for the half generation (i.e like the dreamcast) and hope the economy is better by then. But it's risky.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My point still stands. Graphical advancements aside, Sony cannot afford to let time pass. It's not a smart move, and anyone who has worked with them will tell you the computer entertainment division still have a lot to improve upon.

Unless they plan more than a couple years gap and aim for the half generation (i.e like the dreamcast) and hope the economy is better by then. But it's risky.
Of course they can afford to wait. The fact is they have an Apple like cult following of people who will defend PS against Xbox to the death. You only need to look at the PS2's continued sales even now to realise that the PS3 will continue to go on selling and continue to make money for them.

If Microsoft release the next Xbox, the PS3 (and accessory) sales will not be hit to any sort of critical level and if Sony are doing what everyone thinks they are doing and not having their hand forced by competition, working very hard and waiting until they have a product that is genuinely "next gen" then if it's released a year, two or even three years after Xbox they will regain the upper hand on it's release due to both the quality of their product and the fact people will have waited long enough for it to come out that they will buy it.

I don't believe any of that console being an "investment" tripe. If people want a console more than another console they either buy it alongside their current console or they sell off their old console and put it towards the new one.

Redlambs

Of course they can afford to wait. The fact is they have an Apple like cult following of people who will defend PS against Xbox to the death. You only need to look at the PS2's continued sales even now to realise that the PS3 will continue to go on selling and continue to make money for them.

If Microsoft release the next Xbox, the PS3 (and accessory) sales will not be hit to any sort of critical level and if Sony are doing what everyone thinks they are doing and not having their hand forced by competition, working very hard and waiting until they have a product that is genuinely "next gen" then if it's released a year, two or even three years after Xbox they will regain the upper hand on it's release due to both the quality of their product and the fact people will have waited long enough for it to come out that they will buy it.

I don't believe any of that console being an "investment" tripe. If people want a console more than another console they either buy it alongside their current console or they sell off their old console and put it towards the new one.
You overestimate the size of the fanboy market, and greatly underestimate how large companies view market share. You honestly think that in this day and age the amount of us who buy every machine released is going to be the same?

I'm not saying it's a death knell for Sony, but what I am saying is that they are already pissed at the amount of market M$ have managed to take (originally they hardly even viewed them as rivals, they were after Sega and Nintendo) and a delay will push those who don't care about brand loyalty to jump onboard.

"Investment" is not a term I'd personally use with a piece of plastic there to entertain me either.