Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

WeasteDevil

A 150 quid PS3 would sell like hot cakes. PS2 did its best numbers in slim guise (it outsold PS3 and XB360 for the 1st five years of this gen), and so will the PS3. Yes, PS3 doesn't have the depth of library that PS2 had, but a lot of what it does have is arguably of a higher quality across its library in percentage terms - PS2 had one hell of a lot of shit.

WeasteDevil

My point still stands. Graphical advancements aside, Sony cannot afford to let time pass. It's not a smart move, and anyone who has worked with them will tell you the computer entertainment division still have a lot to improve upon.

Unless they plan more than a couple years gap and aim for the half generation (i.e like the dreamcast) and hope the economy is better by then. But it's risky.
Do you seriously believe that if say Wii had launched a year later, so two years after Xb360 and one year after PS3, it would not have had the same impact? I'd argue that they should have launched it later.

Hal9000

Not sure why a years wait would hurt Sony? Certainly has not hurt them with the PS3. According to Video Game Charts, Game Sales, Top Sellers, Game Data - VGChartz the PS3 is only 3 million units down on Microsoft. When the 360 had a years head start. If you go on those charts, the PS3 has been selling more per year than the 360.

I don't suspect the WiiU will touch the next gen Sony or MS consoles. It certainly won't do as well as the Wii. I see that as the Gamecube or Dreamcast. Personally I'm not sure why Nintendo are going back to targeting gamers, certainly was not working for them in the past. A chunky controller with a big screen in the middle certainly won't change that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Not sure why a years wait would hurt Sony? Certainly has not hurt them with the PS3. According to Video Game Charts, Game Sales, Top Sellers, Game Data - VGChartz the PS3 is only 3 million units down on Microsoft. When the 360 had a years head start. If you go on those charts, the PS3 has been selling more per year than the 360.

I don't suspect the WiiU will touch the next gen Sony or MS consoles. It certainly won't do as well as the Wii. I see that as the Gamecube or Dreamcast. Personally I'm not sure why Nintendo are going back to targeting gamers, certainly was not working for them in the past. A chunky controller with a big screen in the middle certainly won't change that.
How many people bought XBox 360's because they couldn't buy a ps3? The ps2 absolutely demolished the original xbox, if Sony had released the ps3 earlier, they would probably be 10-15 million ahead instead of still being 3 million behind 6 years in.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
How many people bought XBox 360's because they couldn't buy a ps3? The ps2 absolutely demolished the original xbox, if Sony had released the ps3 earlier, they would probably be 10-15 million ahead instead of still being 3 million behind 6 years in.
Exactly, this is my overall point. People seem to read what they want to read sometimes.

Oh and Weaste if you want to ask me question, starting it with an answer already formed in your head isn't really the way to go.

WeasteDevil

Oh and Weaste if you want to ask me question, starting it with an answer already formed in your head isn't really the way to go.
Answer it anyway!

It don't really matter what's ahead of what, BX360 had a year start and now they are both equal and the RRP of the PS3 is still restrictive. When all is said and done it will outsell the XB260 by quite some margin.

Redlambs

Answer it anyway!

It don't really matter what's ahead of what, BX360 had a year start and now they are both equal and the RRP of the PS3 is still restrictive. When all is said and done it will outsell the XB260 by quite some margin.
I would hope so, because that's a full 100 less than the current model!

Oh and as for your question, the Wii was succesfully aimed at a different market to the 360/PS3. It was always likely to sell, no matter the circumstances, though it's important to note I'M NOT saying the PS4 won't sell well.

I think you are forgetting what my original point was. Also we are talking hypothetical time frames, we don't know how long after (if any time at all) it'll be released, so me merely making the suggestion that gaining a greater market share could well be hindered by a release after your competitors, surely has merit?

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I've never really understood the fanboism between PS3 and 360 owners. I understand Nintendo as their console is different and they have a lot of their own intellectual property. To me, my decision to buy an Xbox was purely motivated by price. It was a lot cheaper than a Ps3 and the majority of the games are identical. Technically there is not a noticeable difference between the two.

Redlambs

I've never really understood the fanboism between PS3 and 360 owners. I understand Nintendo as their console is different and they have a lot of their own intellectual property. To me, my decision to buy an Xbox was purely motivated by price. It was a lot cheaper than a Ps3 and the majority of the games are identical. Technically there is not a noticeable difference between the two.
Indeed.

WeasteDevil

Some of us shudder at the thought of a living room dominated by Microsoft or Apple software. It's bad enough having them infesting the workplace.

Lance Uppercut

I own both. I prefer the PS3, as Sony don't charge me for using my inturdnet connection which I already pay for.

RyanGoggs

I own both. I prefer the PS3, as Sony don't charge me for using my inturdnet connection which I already pay for.
When I bought mine, the playstation was 300 quid and I got my Xbox 60gb version for 160 with four games and two controllers all brand new. I don't really bother with xbox live so it really came down to price.

Most of the games I play are multiplatform, only Nintendo will have their own series that really interest me. I've played games like GOW and although its good, I don't really feel any magic while playing it.

Next gen I will probably just go for whichever console is released first or which has the best price point. Are Sony really better from a corporate responsibilty point of view weaste? I know Bill Gates has set up a foundation to get billionaires to give away a lot of their fortunes to charity. I'm sure both companies have as many dodgy dealings as the other. (except Nintendo of course ;) )

Lance Uppercut

When I bought mine, the playstation was 300 quid and I got my Xbox 60gb version for 160 with four games and two controllers all brand new. I don't really bother with xbox live so it really came down to price.

Most of the games I play are multiplatform, only Nintendo will have their own series that really interest me. I've played games like GOW and although its good, I don't really feel any magic while playing it.

Next gen I will probably just go for whichever console is released first or which has the best price point. Are Sony really better from a corporate responsibilty point of view weaste? I know Bill Gates has set up a foundation to get billionaires to give away a lot of their fortunes to charity. I'm sure both companies have as many dodgy dealings as the other. (except Nintendo of course ;) )
I am fairly certain that I will buy both. I didn't get into this generation of gaming until fairly late, but I have been hooked ever since.

RyanGoggs

I am fairly certain that I will buy both. I didn't get into this generation of gaming until fairly late, but I have been hooked ever since.
I really can't see the "value" of buying both. Like I said earlier probably 90 percent of games are across both platforms. To me both seem kind of generic in the way they offer very little unique. Obviously now they have kinect and move but neither interests me greatly.

Lance Uppercut

I really can't see the "value" of buying both. Like I said earlier probably 90 percent of games are across both platforms. To me both seem kind of generic in the way they offer very little unique. Obviously now they have kinect and move but neither interests me greatly.
I don't like to miss out on exclusives. There may not be many, but I feel it's worth it. For example, I have bought and completed Alan Wake, The Gears Trilogy, the Fable Games, Crackdown, and am just about to start Halo 3.

Hooked, as I said.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Yeah, I always see fanboys argue over corporate philosophy. It's right alongside who has the most handsome CEO.

:)
Fanbois dont use that argumentation because its actually a valid point, and fanboys are idiots who dont have valid points.

Im not sure what exactly the difference is between Sony and Microsoft's corporate philosophy is that would make someone choose either over the other though, so not sure what Weaste's point is exactly. It would be a much more fitting argument in an "Apple vs Microsoft" debate.

Lance Uppercut

Fanbois dont use that argumentation because its actually a valid point, and fanboys are idiots who dont have valid points.

Im not sure what exactly the difference is between Sony and Microsoft's corporate philosophy is that would make someone choose either over the other though, so not sure what Weaste's point is exactly. It would be a much more fitting argument in an "Apple vs Microsoft" debate.
:lol:

Argument.

RyanGoggs

I don't like to miss out on exclusives. There may not be many, but I feel it's worth it. For example, I have bought and completed Alan Wake, The Gears Trilogy, the Fable Games, Crackdown, and am just about to start Halo 3.

Hooked, as I said.
Fair dos, I quite like fable but the others are all a bit Meh to me. It would kind of feel like buying a Sony MP3 player and then an ipod. Both do the same thing and largely the same content, but that's just me. I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer so one device is fine. If Sony are late or too expensive I think a lot of gamers may be put off.

Either way the companies need to be pretty innovative this generation as I don't think greater processing power etc will really appeal to the masses.

WeasteDevil

Yeah, I always see fanboys argue over corporate philosophy. It's right alongside who has the most handsome CEO.

:)
There is a total difference for example for paying for the service through content or paying for the service itself. The back end of XBLIVE for example doesn't do much at all, yet you pay for it. The back end of PSN doesn't do anything different, yet it's free.

There is a slight difference in business philosophy there.

Skywarden

PlayStation 4 Ditching The Cell Processor, Sources Say, Which Leads to Some Wild Theories.

The PlayStation 4 will not use Sony's Cell processor nor any possible successor to the vaunted chipset that was introduced to the world through the PlayStation 3, gaming industry sources tell Kotaku.

What we're hearing from sources follow a Forbes rumor last week that chip-maker AMD would make the graphics chip for a PS4, a shift from the PS3's use of a graphics chip from AMD rival Nvidia.

The abandonment of the Cell architecture would thrill the many game developers who have struggled with the complex chipset, but it could also be viewed as the admission of a mistake.

Cell was the pet project of PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi, who dreamed that the chip—a "Power Processing Element" married to eight "Synergistic Processing Elements"—would make the PS3 the most impressive gaming console ever. He spoke of a home equipped with multiple devices that were powered by Cell, all of them linking to each other to increase the computational power driving any of the devices.

Cell was not the revolution Sony hoped and hyped that it would be. It also never managed to make the PS3 appear to be significantly more powerful than the year-older Xbox 360. That could have been the Cell's fault or simply the result of development decisions that compelled game creators to make their games run on both the PS3 and the generally-more-popular Xbox 360.

But with no Cell or Cell successor in the PS4, what would Sony do? Here's where the reporting turns to speculation. One theory I've heard is that AMD will provide both the CPU and GPU for the PS4, meaning that AMD, not Sony, would engineer the main processing and graphics chips for the machine. Should AMD be doing that, they could go with the AMD Fusion architecture, which puts CPU and GPU on the same chip. AMD has already been putting chips like this out (one was considered for the MacBook Air), which would enable Sony to turn to developers and say: you could be working with the PS4 architecture right now; just work on an AMD Llano chip or something. Would developers like that? They'd have to prefer it to Cell and—what do you know—here's one of gaming history's best programmers, id's John Carmack, saying in an interview with PC Perspective last year that AMD Fusion-style chip architecture is "almost a forgone conclusion" for the future of computing.

A Sony rep declined to comment on this story, citing the company's policy not to comment on rumors and speculation.

Sony hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the PlayStation 4 let alone detailed the guts within it. But we're beginning to hear trickles of information about Sony's next gen. It's all vaguer than the talk for next Xbox, code-named Durango, which Microsoft has been showing to publisher and developer partners.

The lack of chatter on PS4 would suggest that Sony will once again put its next console out after Microsoft. But if the chipset for the PS4 is actually one that already exists, then aspiring PS4 developers might find themselves capable of ramping up for this new machine faster than expected. And if that happens, the code-named Durango, probable for 2013, might have a sparring partner from Sony sooner than we thought.
PlayStation 4 Ditching The Cell Processor, Sources Say, Which Leads to Some Wild Theories.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Sony won't ditch cell. It will become another part of the core infrastructure of the hardware. If one report I read earlier this year said, it was only a singular concept to be evolved on over years. The whole point was to effectively make a hybrid using it's raw processing power.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
If the PS4 costs way more than the 720, I'll buy the microsoft machine again. If it's within 20-30 quid, say, I'll get the Sony one.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Do you seriously believe that if say Wii had launched a year later, so two years after Xb360 and one year after PS3, it would not have had the same impact? I'd argue that they should have launched it later.
Considering how well the DS was doing they could financially have afforded to but the Gamecube was long since dead by the time the Wii came out so they had their hand forced.

Even though they screwed it up, Nintendo would be wise to set up WiiU for an upgrade ala the 64DD so to prevent what has happened with the Wii, Gamecube and N64 from happening again - that is affectively dying before their successor arrives.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Answer it anyway!

Yes fine, but if you are Microsoft and you are comparing the end of this generation to the end of the last generation would you not be very happy, and Sony underwhelmed? Whatever the PS3 now manages to do, Microsoft has closed what was an absolutely huge gap to as near as makes little difference.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I bought a PS3, then all my mates bought a 360 because it was 'cheaper' (but not really once you've bought everything to match the PS3), then I bought a 360 to play online with my mates, then I sold the PS3, now..a few years on, my mates don't really play online.
Cnuts.