Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You what? First of all my lips are not needed on a forum, and secondly why would I be quiet about this?

As far as I know, the cell is in there somewhere, but certainly not the focal point you used to claim. However since SCEE have fecked over a lot of their people over here, I don't really know anyone in the technical area who I can be bothered to ask. Frankly I don't care what's inside the new consoles, it'll all be the same shit anyway.

If you've heard something though, do share.

Spoony

The People's President
I don't think they'll bother. After all, there's enough benders in the people who buy Sony.

I won't bother with white text, that one was too obvious :(
The Steam Box will outsell the PS4. I've read somewhere they will be investing in bendy screen technology and all.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
What a terrible decision cell turned out to be. Now if Sony want any sort of backwards compatibility they have to have it in there, which means additional costs and complications. And that means they'll gimp something else, like the cpu, the gpu or the memory.
Unless they can software emulate it with their new x86 cpu (lol).

FreakyJim

I don't doubt it's cheap but in a console where every dollar counts it will be a burden. Not only price wise but what about size? Will it stay at 45nm or will Sony have to make it smaller etc? And how would it work exactly alongside the main CPU and GPU? To me all that seems pretty complicated, maybe it isn't in reality to those concerned with it.

Anyway, funny how things turn out. It seems consoles' future architecture is something like the first xbox, a pc in a box. Who would've thought it back then.

WeasteDevil

I don't doubt it's cheap but in a console where every dollar counts it will be a burden. Not only price wise but what about size? Will it stay at 45nm or will Sony have to make it smaller etc? And how would it work exactly alongside the main CPU and GPU? To me all that seems pretty complicated, maybe it isn't in reality to those concerned with it.

Anyway, funny how things turn out. It seems consoles' future architecture is something like the first xbox, a pc in a box. Who would've thought it back then.
Something has to process the audio. ;)

Yes, it needs to be re-laid out for 28nm. Crossbar instead of ring bus.....

The same way it worked with RSX and the SCC?

Spoony

The People's President
Yes, but this is a thread about the PS4, not bendy screens.
How about PS4s with built in bendy screens? I'd also like a whole wall plastered with a bendy screen. Imagine the possibilities? You could change the wallpaper design at the touch of a bendy screen button.

FreakyJim

Something has to process the audio. ;)

Yes, it needs to be re-laid out for 28nm. Crossbar instead of ring bus.....

The same way it worked with RSX and the SCC?
RSX is nvidia, isn't it? So would there also be a problem now when Sony's going with AMD or gpu's aren't that different?

As we're on the subject and you obviusly know your stuff, I've another question. Microsoft has a powerPC in their xbox360, right? So wouldn't there be a similar problem for them regarding BC or is their CPU not that difficult to be emulated?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Should I buy a PS3 in the summer or wait for the PS4 release?
Wait for the PS4 regardless of whether you want a PS3 or PS4 for the price drop.

WeasteDevil

RSX is nvidia, isn't it? So would there also be a problem now when Sony's going with AMD or gpu's aren't that different?
That shouldn't really matter too much.

As we're on the subject and you obviusly know your stuff, I've another question. Microsoft has a powerPC in their xbox360, right? So wouldn't there be a similar problem for them regarding BC or is their CPU not that difficult to be emulated?
The XB360 CPU isn't really a problem to emulate (apart from its very high clock). Cell isn't PowerPC, it only has one small element of it that is of that architecture (the PPE - power processing element). Cell is an oddity, it has 8 SPEs, they have a totally different ISA, you can blame Toshiba for them.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Poxbo here thinks that PS4 can run PS3 software, tell us what you know Poxbo.
You never really read my posts before you try to pick holes do you?

What I was suggesting is that if he is thinking of getting a PS3, he should wait until the PS4 comes out as around that time there is bound to be a price drop on the PS3 and he will save himself some money and probably get a better deal in terms of software included in the package.

Is that incorrect? I think what you are trying to say is that the PS4 won't be backwards conpatible which has already been mentioned in this thread.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
PS4 will be backwards compatible.

That 12GB monstrosity of a PS3 is very cheap now anyway isn't it?
On the previous page the article suggests it won't be but you know best.

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
Wait for the PS4 regardless of whether you want a PS3 or PS4 for the price drop.
As soon as the PS4 comes out, I am buying it! Haven't had a chance to be a total console fanboy since the PS1. I was just wondering whether the PS4 release was close enough on the horizon so that I shouldn't bother buying the PS3 and just wait.

WeasteDevil

As soon as the PS4 comes out, I am buying it! Haven't had a chance to be a total console fanboy since the PS1. I was just wondering whether the PS4 release was close enough on the horizon so that I shouldn't bother buying the PS3 and just wait.
PS4 is scheduled for December, and it isn't going to be cheap either.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I heard that it's in there Lambs, but just not as the main CPU. Happy now after pushing me so hard?
It's always been in there as far as I know, though in what exact configuration no-one seems to know.

What a terrible decision cell turned out to be. Now if Sony want any sort of backwards compatibility they have to have it in there, which means additional costs and complications. And that means they'll gimp something else, like the cpu, the gpu or the memory.
Unless they can software emulate it with their new x86 cpu (lol).
I said it before at the time (remember Weaste?) that the Cell is technically a very good idea and was beyond any over CPU (comparatively) at the time, but I always thought it'd end up like another Emotion Engine for them. Problem is I see absolutely no reason why they've spunked so much money coming up with these things, they know devs don't have the time to master them!

It isn't funny at all, but it's necessary. With the PS3 and Vita, they've lost a lot (decimating their UK operations among others in the process) and gained little to no ground in the market. They are better off competing on an even keel and spending more on their dreaded API and dedicated software (stop ripping off Nintendo for a start and invest in some new stuff).

BTW I said way back when that pound for pound when the dust settles, though technically superior, the PS3 will be seen as no more or less powerful than the 360. I'll go out on a limb and say it'll be exactly the same with the new generation.

Buy a PS3, they are dirt cheap and you'll like it, then buy a PS4 one year in.
I agree fully with this.

vanthaman

Winner
Love me a new console launch, I'll probably want both ps4 and the new Xbox so I hope they are released a few months apart

Skywarden

There's that and the fact that the PS3 cost 600-650€ initially. In addition, the exclusives were rather bland for a long time - with only Heavenly Sword shining. It really did put them in a bad spot and not even all the RRoDs over at MS could swing the pendulum.

The rumoured specs are looking juicy. What will be interesting is what type of memory solution they'll go with.