g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

JP77

Playing different games at the same time? No...

What Shareplay does is stream the content from your console out onto a network. You can access and play that stream with external devices. The functionality already exists with the Vita and the remote play option, it's just an extension of that.

It works like remote access on windows, I'm having trouble with my PC at work so I call IT. They remotely connect to my machine, a window pops up asking me to confirm that I allow the tech to access my machine. Once I click yes he then controls my mouse cursor, can open folders, change settings etc. When he's fixed the problem, he disconnects and the PC is once again under my control. We wouldn't be able to run two tasks at the same time, as we are both using the same PC.

So you can invite someone to remotely access your PS4, they can then connect via their PS4 and in-place of their system, they would see your screen. Moving a character in-game would move that character on your system. You would become a spectator at this point. What you can do with a couch co-op game is both play the same game together, so you can become player 2 (or 1 I'm not sure how that bit works and who becomes what player?) but if it were a game like Knack (where two sprites can occupy the same screen if you are both in the sat next to each other with two controllers) it would be like your friend is in the room with you, instead of at the other end of an internet connection. Games like Tekken and PES (or Madden) should work well in this scenario.

This is limited to 60 minute bursts (unless you could just set it up and bugger off to work as your mate plays the entirety of games in your collection without ever buying them) but these 60 mins are unlimited in terms of repeats. Therefore you could play like this all day, you would just have to re-invite them every hour. Because the system is streaming the game from your machine and using your media (HDD file Blu-Ray) to run the game your invited party does not need the game themselves in order to play it, as their system is merely becoming a host for all the grunt work (in terms of computing power) done by your machine. The same applies to the Vita remote play. You cannot purchase Destiny for the Vita, but I can play Destiny on the Vita whilst on the train on my Vita as the PS4 is running them game but sending the output (graphics & sounds) to the network whilst receiving inputs from the network. The Remote Play function is also now available on Z2 & Z3 Xperia phones.

I think I have that correct, I'm sure if I've missed something I'll soon be corrected. Also apologies if this came across as patronising, but you did ask for a simple explanation...

Ah I sorted it anyway mate, appreciate the reply though I wasn't on about actual share play. You can download your digital games onto one other persons console and they can play those games at any time, even when you're playing them, under their own account. It's actually pretty awesome now I've sorted it as I can access any games he's downloaded while he can do the same for mine. I brought Madden and now he owns it for nothing, vice verse for the games he's brought.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Ah I sorted it anyway mate, appreciate the reply though I wasn't on about actual share play. You can download your digital games onto one other persons console and they can play those games at any time, even when you're playing them, under their own account. It's actually pretty awesome now I've sorted it as I can access any games he's downloaded while he can do the same for mine. I brought Madden and now he owns it for nothing, vice verse for the games he's brought.
How do you do that - do you have to designate one person that you want to share games with?

Kaos

Game are doing a PS4 bundled with the new COD and TLOU for £349.99. Might go for that and then sell/swap COD for FIFA.

Edit: PS4 with GTA, Destiny, TLOU and 12 months PS+ subscription for £399.99.
That's pretty fecking awesome, three brilliant games and a years PS subscription. I would have jumped on that if I didn't already own the console.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Destiny is far from a brilliant game. But yeah, good deal.

Alock1

Compared to COD its brilliant, otherwise its a flawed yet worthwhile purchase.
I actually think the new Cod is better than Destiny. Easily infact.

Kaos

I actually think the new Cod is better than Destiny. Easily infact.
You're entitled to your opinion, but its still wrong.

COD is a 4/10 shooter at best, marketed at adolescents who will happily borrow their parents' credit cards to swallow up the 12 DLCs that are released every month.

Alock1

You're entitled to your opinion, but its still wrong.

COD is a 4/10 shooter at best, marketed at adolescents who will happily borrow their parents' credit cards to swallow up the 12 DLCs that are released every month.
What? In a conversation about Destiny, seriously?

The game was built from the ground up with DLC in mind mate.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Their failure to fix the messaging system is a disgrace. A simple message either fails to send or takes 10 mins to be delivered.

Also the PS+ game range is disappointing so far. I expected a lot more but the PS4 has been underwhelming.

JackXX

Bit gutted Bloodborne has been delayed to March. Is it me or has this been the generation of delayed launches?

Kaos

What? In a conversation about Destiny, seriously?

The game was built from the ground up with DLC in mind mate.
Yeah, unfortunately Destiny shares the same publisher as Call of Duty. It still has a more mature community than the horde of 12 year old racist and homophobic twerps from Ohio who have all apparently slept with my mother.

JackXX

I don't think people talk on either game tbh. Well I dont think its even possible in Destiny is it? Multiplayer wise there's probably not much between the two games but Destiny is slightly fresher with abilities and stuff but COD has tons more modes to play in.

Kaos

I don't think people talk on either game tbh. Well I dont think its even possible in Destiny is it? Multiplayer wise there's probably not much between the two games but Destiny is slightly fresher with abilities and stuff but COD has tons more modes to play in.
No crucible voice communication in destiny, but in all the PuGs I've been involved in (mostly nightfalls), they've been with some pretty sound guys, most of which were mature and easy going. Every other COD game I've played has had an insufferable little shit or two behind the mic.

JP77

How do you do that - do you have to designate one person that you want to share games with?
You can do it between two consoles, pretty simple stuff really even though it didn't seem it at first. I chose my brother for now as I know he buys a fair share of digital games and obviously I can trust him. It's almost as simple as going into their PS4, you log into your PSN account on there and your games are there (obviously have to be digital otherwise you need the disc). You simply download them to his PS4 and then he can simply log out, log into his normal user account and play them (there's one other simple step of going into settings and changing your primary device too which is a click of a button).

Then you can obviously go onto your own console and do the exact same by logging into his account and having access to all of his games, downloading whichever you want etc etc. Simply and pretty cool, much better then the basis of swapping games with people because it means two people can actually be playing one copy of a game at the same time and doing whatever they want, which you obviously can't do with a hard disc copy. I'm actually surprised Sony put this out there, find a decent friend who spends a fortune on games and you're pretty much sorted.

If you need a step by step guide I'll link you to a decent one that I found mate.

JP77

Their failure to fix the messaging system is a disgrace. A simple message either fails to send or takes 10 mins to be delivered.

Also the PS+ game range is disappointing so far. I expected a lot more but the PS4 has been underwhelming.
Completely agree.

The messaging issue is ridiculous. The consoles been out for what feels like an age now and it's a joke that they haven't fixed such a simple issue which is a massive part of PS4 gaming.

Kaos

Yeah I'd say I've been pretty underwhelmed by the PS4 too. In hindsight I would have gone for a Xbone since its exclusives appeal more to me, but alas all my friends are Sony sheeple.

Or even better yet, I should have just stayed with the PC.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The only problem I've had is the afore mentioned messaging issue... other than that I'm happy with my PS4. I'm sure I would have been happy with an XB1 too but given the choice based off what I knew at the time and know now... I made the right choice.

If you need a step by step guide I'll link you to a decent one that I found mate.
Link me that shiiiiiiit.....

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The only problem I've had is the afore mentioned messaging issue... other than that I'm happy with my PS4. I'm sure I would have been happy with an XB1 too but given the choice based off what I knew at the time and know now... I made the right choice.

Link me that shiiiiiiit.....

Have you had a go if shadow of mordor yet?

Alock1

Yeah I do digital sharing on my Xbox with a mate and it's awesome. Can actually do it with 2 people, so will probably start sharing with someone else aswel in the future.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I feel stupid for asking but does anyone know how to change resolution of videos on Youtube app? I even don't know where to find which resolution the video is playing.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
You can do it between two consoles, pretty simple stuff really even though it didn't seem it at first. I chose my brother for now as I know he buys a fair share of digital games and obviously I can trust him. It's almost as simple as going into their PS4, you log into your PSN account on there and your games are there (obviously have to be digital otherwise you need the disc). You simply download them to his PS4 and then he can simply log out, log into his normal user account and play them (there's one other simple step of going into settings and changing your primary device too which is a click of a button).

Then you can obviously go onto your own console and do the exact same by logging into his account and having access to all of his games, downloading whichever you want etc etc. Simply and pretty cool, much better then the basis of swapping games with people because it means two people can actually be playing one copy of a game at the same time and doing whatever they want, which you obviously can't do with a hard disc copy. I'm actually surprised Sony put this out there, find a decent friend who spends a fortune on games and you're pretty much sorted.

Cheers for that - would appreciate the link!

leviathan

I have a 10yr old nephew visiting for a week and have promised to get him a few PS4 games to play. I have FIFA 15, but any other recommendations you guys have would be appreciated (especially local multiplayer games that I can play with him).

Thinking of getting Unity and Dragon Age as well for myself (not sure if its appropriate for him though). Also, anyone here try Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment? Is that game OK for a 10yr old (nephew is a big Holmes fan)?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Leg-End

I have a 10yr old nephew visiting for a week and have promised to get him a few PS4 games to play. I have FIFA 15, but any other recommendations you guys have would be appreciated (especially local multiplayer games that I can play with him).

Thinking of getting Unity and Dragon Age as well for myself (not sure if its appropriate for him though). Also, anyone here try Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishment? Is that game OK for a 10yr old (nephew is a big Holmes fan)?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
If weaste was here he would recommend Knack, never played it myself but for co-op with a 10 year old? Probably be good, I'm sure you can pick that up dirt cheap now.

Other stuff.....Minecraft? Cheap also.

leviathan

If weaste was here he would recommend Knack, never played it myself but for co-op with a 10 year old? Probably be good, I'm sure you can pick that up dirt cheap now.

Other stuff.....Minecraft? Cheap also.
Thanks buddy. Any racing titles worth buying? I understand they are mostly single player these days.

Leg-End

Thanks buddy. Any racing titles worth buying? I understand they are mostly single player these days.
Well there is Driveclub but there isn't much substance to it, great racer but constant online issues with it mean I'd probably skip it until they sort it and get the PS+ free version out.

JackXX

I've never played it but wouldn't Little Big Planet be a decent co op game for younger players? Hasn't the new one just come out?

Leg-End

They do have to step up but I suspect they will, they have the heavy hitters lined up for next year.

I suspect we might find out a bit more of whats coming at this Sony event in December, they seem to be hyping that for some new reveals. 2015 multiplats and exclusives is stacked though really, I doubt very much "where are all the games?" will be said come this time next year, more like "god help my wallet".