Gaming PlayStation 5

Bojan11

How do these free upgrades work? With FIFA 21 as an example. Do you buy the game, keep the receipt then return and they will swap it for a PS5 version?
You need the PS4 disc inserted in the console to play the upgraded version.

2E_MUFC

Surely it only works if you buy the game digitally?
I don’t think so. I’ve read you can’t upgrade from disc version to digital and vice versa. I remember coming home when I got my PS4 with upgraded versions of Call of duty Ghosts and whatever FIFA was out at the time. But I can’t remember how it worked.

I’ve also read you can upgrade Rainbow Six Siege and GTA eventually. Along with Cyberpunk.

2E_MUFC

I believe it worked like this for the PS4 as well, when you insert the PS4 disc into the PS5 ot will recognise and update accordingly.
I’m pretty sure that was for the digital version. I 100% remember coming home with Call of Duty Ghosts and Fifa on disc when I picked my PS4 up from Game.

Adamsk7

Does anyone know the situation with external storage? Seems in the PS5 you can use any PCIe4.0 NVME drive that matches the spec, so I presume there’s going to be a place to slot it internally, similar to a PC. Must admit, that’s a slightly messy solution compared to Xbox although I appreciate when said drives reduce in price over time, it should be cheaper to add storage to a PS.

Bojan11

Does anyone know the situation with external storage? Seems in the PS5 you can use any PCIe4.0 NVME drive that matches the spec, so I presume there’s going to be a place to slot it internally, similar to a PC. Must admit, that’s a slightly messy solution compared to Xbox although I appreciate when said drives reduce in price over time, it should be cheaper to add storage to a PS.
It will cost more than Xbox storage at launch. You need to use one that’s validated by Sony. They said they will give a list post launch.

Bojan11

2E_MUFC

You have to buy the cross gen game if you buying digitally which costs £5 more than standard.

As COD is coming out near to launch of both consoles they have separate discs for the next gen version. Which cost more than the PS4 or XB1 versions. So there’s no free upgrade. You just need to buy the PS5 version.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ps5ca01-call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-p454421/
Ok, yeah I’m going to just hang on rather than buying it on PS4. Seems weird that Cyberpunk is releasing the day before the PS5 drops.

Woodzy

This is going to sound mental but one thing that puts me off buying PS4 games on disc that comes with PS5 upgrades, is that it will drive my OCD mad if I’m inserting a PS4 disc to play a PS5 version of a game.

Adamsk7

This is going to sound mental but one thing that puts me off buying PS4 games on disc that comes with PS5 upgrades, is that it will drive my OCD mad if I’m inserting a PS4 disc to play a PS5 version of a game.
Oh I agree! It’ll be the same with the boxes themselves too - I normally like to have very uniform boxes and the blue topped PS4 ones will drive me mad next to the white PS5 ones.

2E_MUFC

Haha same here. Ideally would move my PS4 games out the way when the PS5 arrives. Not going to work though with all the upgrades.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I feel that way too! To the stage where I’d pay more just to get the ps5 box :lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
So you're gonna stick to 1080p for the time being? True you'll get the higher response time if you're a competitive gamer but seems a bit of a waste to not utilise 4K if buying a next gen machine.
I'm being jokingly gatekeeping (I only Tetris on the crt). Getting an expensive new TV will give you benefits but I highly doubt that it'll be a prerequisite to getting the most out of the ps5 experience. If you can't afford a new TV or already have a good TV, a shiny new one is a complete non-essential.

I'm grumpy that presentation gimmicks are pushed at the expense of the core experience.

Gameplay-}motion stability-}image quality-}resolution.

Tiber

Just went on Game, just on the off chance and managed to pre order. :eek:
Will have one happy son on Christmas Day.

Congrats! Yea I feel bad for the non-gamer parents who think they are going to stroll into Currys on the 11th of December and get their kid a Ps5 for Christmas

Tiber

Have to admit , I was going to do that If I could not get a pre order, just have to earn the money now :)
There might be a huge restock before Christmas, but I remember the Switch being very rare for months. Then again I randomly got my Switch by walking into Argos and asking on a whim, the CEX next door was selling a second hand one for more money than my new one.

I wonder if PS5s are hard to come by because Japan is launching at the same time as the rest of the world and stock is spread more thinly. I think the PS4 launched in Japan quite a long time after the west

pauldyson1uk

There might be a huge restock before Christmas, but I remember the Switch being very rare for months. Then again I randomly got my Switch by walking into Argos and asking on a whim, the CEX next door was selling a second hand one for more money than my new one.

I wonder if PS5s are hard to come by because Japan is launching at the same time as the rest of the world and stock is spread more thinly. I think the PS4 launched in Japan quite a long time after the west
That's a good point, that and COVID 19 I suspect, I would think COVID has messed up production, big time.
I just hope they can fulfil all the pre-orders.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just went on Game, just on the off chance and managed to pre order. :eek:
Will have one happy son on Christmas Day.
Man, I still vividly remember the day my dad bought us both the first PlayStation. We set it up in the conservatory to play without bothering my mum. Loved to just sit and watch him play because he was better than me at the time.

Would’ve been an unreal feeling getting one for Christmas. Even just getting a few new games for Xmas felt great.

Tiber

Man, I still vividly remember the day my dad bought us both the first PlayStation. We set it up in the conservatory to play without bothering my mum. Loved to just sit and watch him play because he was better than me at the time.

Would’ve been an unreal feeling getting one for Christmas. Even just getting a few new games for Xmas felt great.
We rented a PS1 for the weekend from the video rental store with Spyro, Crash and Small Soldiers. We kept renting it with those exact games over and over again until it got the point where even my dad (who was always a bit tight when it comes to buying video games) realised it was going to be cheaper to just buy ones us one. Fantastic Christmas!

How weird does the idea of renting a console seem in 2020!

A few years later i got a PS2 for my birthday. The bastards put it in the box from a Tesco's Iron :lol: opening that box was a hell of a suprise for 13 year old (ish) Tiber! I still vivedly remember the fake box trick

Tiber

I used to love the PS1 demo discs that came with magazines. We had loads of them and I remember playing the same levels over and over again dozens of times - Spyro usually had a full homeworld!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We rented a PS1 for the weekend from the video rental store with Spyro, Crash and Small Soldiers. We kept renting it with those exact games over and over again until it got the point where even my dad (who was always a bit tight when it comes to buying video games) realised it was going to be cheaper to just buy ones us one. Fantastic Christmas!

How weird does the idea of renting a console seem in 2020!

A few years later i got a PS2 for my birthday. The bastards put it in the box from a Tesco's Iron :lol: opening that box was a hell of a suprise for 13 year old (ish) Tiber! I still vivedly remember the fake box trick
Ha that trick is great.

I’ve never heard of renting a console. Did used to rent a lot of games on ps2 from Blockbuster though. Could get through one in one or two rentals usually, which turned out way cheaper. Although we had got the ps1 ‘chipped’, which meant insanely cheap games on that. No idea what chipping it actually entailed.

Amarsdd

I used to love the PS1 demo discs that came with magazines. We had loads of them and I remember playing the same levels over and over again dozens of times - Spyro usually had a full homeworld!
I used to love those PS1 demo discs. I remember playing Spyro, MediEvil and one of those space racing game (can't remember the name) from those demo discs again and again.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Finally manage to get in touch with Argos the DE that I preordered 2 weeks has been confirmed but not by email, I now have 3 PS5's on preorder...

My sister will buy one for my nephews and the other may go to my other sisters partner... Saving Christmases for the whole family.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dont know if I want to go Sony this time round, the exclusive IPs I cared about are kind of done and have run their course.

I am also past the days of having multiple consoles, so I might be jumping ship this time round.

Riz

Any word on when we can expect a black version? The white would be a real eye sore in my set up so I’m holding off.

Riz

That's a good point. Is it confirmed?
Nothing official from the quick google I did but some on here are more clued up.

I thought I heard somewhere that the panels would be customisable but maybe I’ve made that up?