Gaming PlayStation 5

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Any word on when we can expect a black version? The white would be a real eye sore in my set up so I’m holding off.
I’m sure skins will be available soon that can match one’s needs. That would be a better bet than counting the years until they release one that doesn’t look like it was designed by a teenage art student.

Tiber

That's a good point. Is it confirmed?
There will be a 'limited edition stealth edition' in a year or so for late adopters/the weirdos on resetera who buy every colour/special edition on the market.

But nothing officially confirmed at the moment for the launch window. They might even be saving black for the PS5 Pro or w.e it is called.

Personally I think the white looks dreadful, but I don't have the patience to wait.

You could always buy a set of stickers from dbrand, but I have never been convinced by those.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
There will be a 'limited edition stealth edition' in a year or so for late adopters/the weirdos on resetera who buy every colour/special edition on the market.

But nothing officially confirmed at the moment for the launch window. They might even be saving black for the PS5 Pro or w.e it is called.

Personally I think the white looks dreadful, but I don't have the patience to wait.

You could always buy a set of stickers from dbrand, but I have never been convinced by those.
Oh right, yeah no doubt I'll end up getting the white one on launch anyway.

Bojan11

There will definitely be a slim version for both consoles. I expect that to be the black version.

Tiber

I love platformers, Crash and Spyro among my favoruite games and both PS4 remasters were fantastic. This looks right up my street and its also the sort of game my Mrs would have a go at (she unexpectedly got quite into Fall Guys last month)

Its just a shame its a full price release. If this launched at the same price as the Crash/Spyro remasters it would have been a day 1 purchase for me. I will wait until it goes on sale.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I love platformers, Crash and Spyro among my favoruite games and both PS4 remasters were fantastic. This looks right up my street and its also the sort of game my Mrs would have a go at (she unexpectedly got quite into Fall Guys last month)

Its just a shame its a full price release. If this launched at the same price as the Crash/Spyro remasters it would have been a day 1 purchase for me. I will wait until it goes on sale.
Yeah it looks like it could be a really fun game but I can’t justify £69.99. One for the sales as you say.

Tiber

Yeah it looks like it could be a really fun game but I can’t justify £69.99. One for the sales as you say.
You can get it for around £50 in some stores. But that's still a long way above the £30 Spyro cost at at launch.

I have no issue paying full price for huge Last Of Us 2 style styles, but there should defiantly be a middle ground for shorter experiences. Crash PS4 dominated the sales charts for weeks when it launched and was super successful, but it would have sold a lot less as a full priced release.

Tiber

I am getting Miles Morales and Cyberpunk on PS5 launch day. And I have never played God Of War (I have no idea how I missed that, I have never played any God Of War game but I know the PS4 one is meant to be one of the best games ever made) and Days Gone from the PS+ collection, so I don't see myself picking up many games between launch and Christmas unless the much rumoured Mass Effect game does suddenly get released.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I am getting Miles Morales and Cyberpunk on PS5 launch day. And I have never played God Of War (I have no idea how I missed that, I have never played any God Of War game but I know the PS4 one is meant to be one of the best games ever made) and Days Gone from the PS+ collection, so I don't see myself picking up many games between launch and Christmas unless the much rumoured Mass Effect game does suddenly get released.
I never played a God of War game before the one on PS4 and I loved it. Players of the older games told me they had trouble adjusting to the new button layout and combat system but it felt very intuitive to me.

passing-wind

Personally couldn't stand GOW PS4. The mechanics play like an RPG (which was a shock given the visuals), had excellent cinematic elements but the combat was very robotic. I played probably 3 hours worth and traded it in.

Spiderman PS4 was an incredible experience fluid combat, intriguing story line and good base of character development I expect the Miles Morales installment to be just as thrilling. It's the only reason I'm considering pre ordering the console.

AaronRedDevil

Personally couldn't stand GOW PS4. The mechanics play like an RPG (which was a shock given the visuals), had excellent cinematic elements but the combat was very robotic. I played probably 3 hours worth and traded it in.

Spiderman PS4 was an incredible experience fluid combat, intriguing story line and good base of character development I expect the Miles Morales installment to be just as thrilling. It's the only reason I'm considering pre ordering the console.
Guessing you're more of a gameplay kinda player rather then a story player. Like spiderman, amazing gameplay but a good story.

Adamsk7

Looks like it’s only gonna run at 1440p 60 or 4K 30. That’s a little disappointing IMO.

Adamsk7

Why?

It looks incredible and people need to give up this 4k 60fps dream for next gen only games.
Guess I’ve just got on the marketing hype that both this and the X are aiming for 4K 60 in most titles - they are both even being advertised as 8k capable!
look I am still gonna enjoy the crap out of this game and ultimately I won’t care BUT if they’re saying we are gonna get something and right out of the gate it’s not possible, then I think we’re right to be a bit disappointed.

Makes me think the Series S is gonna actually deliver 1080p at best

Hoof the ball

Honestly, I'm not overly fussed about 4k 60fps as most other people. I find that stylistically that kind of frame rate detracts from the cinematic quality of certain games, but then again I play mostly story-driven games and not online where these kind of advantages are desired. Have you ever watched a cinematic movie but changed it from 25-30 fps to 60? it looks weird, less impressive even. That's how some games look to me in 60fps+

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Honestly, I'm not overly fussed about 4k 60fps as most other people. I find that stylistically that kind of frame rate detracts from the cinematic quality of certain games, but then again I play mostly story-driven games and not online where these kind of advantages are desired. Have you ever watched a cinematic movie but changed it from 25-30 fps to 60? it looks weird, less impressive even. That's how some games look to me in 60fps+
That's two different mediums that work in entirely different ways.

I mean to suggest framerate actually looks worse in games is one of the oddest takes I've ever read. I get people who haven't ever played games at faster framerates not really understanding or caring about the difference, but suggesting 30fps is actually better? Each to their own on that one!

Tiber

I know many people getting very worked up over 30 v 60 fps. But honestly? I have never noticed all that much of a difference. My PC runs many games at 120 fps, but I don't notice a huge difference when I play say Destiny on PS4 instead at a much lower fps.

Redlambs

I know many people getting very worked up over 30 v 60 fps. But honestly? I have never noticed all that much of a difference. My PC runs many games at 120 fps, but I don't notice a huge difference when I play say Destiny on PS4 instead at a much lower fps.
For a start, is your monitor over 60hz?

In any case, it's like the people who claim not to be able to tell the difference between standard and HD, some people just don't know what they are looking at, other's just don't care. It's all fair enough, but whatever your preference higher fps/hz is better in every single way and not just with the smoothness on screen. Controls, collisions, physics, animations, etc...it's all affected.. That doesn't mean people have to care of course.

Tiber

For a start, is your monitor over 60hz?

In any case, it's like the people who claim not to be able to tell the difference between standard and HD, some people just don't know what they are looking at, other's just don't care. It's all fair enough, but whatever your preference higher fps/hz is better in every single way and not just with the smoothness on screen. Controls, collisions, physics, animations, etc...it's all affected.. That doesn't mean people have to care of course.
I guess I just don't care. New fancy water effects etc do nothing for me. Im not at all excited to jump to PS5 for better graphics as games already look fantastic, but new game tech like we have seen in Ratchet and Clank, faster loading times, an end to hours of copying etc all sound great.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That's two different mediums that work in entirely different ways.

I mean to suggest framerate actually looks worse in games is one of the oddest takes I've ever read. I get people who haven't ever played games at faster framerates not really understanding or caring about the difference, but suggesting 30fps is actually better? Each to their own on that one!
Yeah I don't think I've ever played a game at 60fps? Unless there were some running on that on the PS4 Pro which I missed. Probably why I’m not over fully fussed about 60fps or 4k - improve ai this gen and I’ll be happy!

Redlambs

I guess I just don't care. New fancy water effects etc do nothing for me. Im not at all excited to jump to PS5 for better graphics as games already look fantastic, but new game tech like we have seen in Ratchet and Clank, faster loading times, an end to hours of copying etc all sound great.
Anything that affects gameplay is king for me. Fps is way up there as one of the leading factors outside of design.

I'm not overly fussed about 4K or "fancy water effects" (:lol:)

Yeah I don't think I've ever played a game at 60fps? Unless there were some running on that on the PS4 Pro which I missed. Probably why I’m not over fully fussed about 60fps or 4k - improve ai this gen and I’ll be happy!
Some pro games come close to stable, but not really enough. It is a big deal, and a huge difference whether or not you are looking for it. And yes, even A.I is affected.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Looks like it’s only gonna run at 1440p 60 or 4K 30. That’s a little disappointing IMO.
1440p with great Anti Aliasing is what I expect performance mode will be for a lot of games. Looks absolutely gorgeous. There is a fan made HDR demo that looks even better

Tiber

Did everyone get sorted with the new wave of preorders last week? Or are some still searching?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My Argos one got confirmed so I will need to cancel that. I'm still suspicious of how easy it was to order one from Amazon :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
Some pro games come close to stable, but not really enough. It is a big deal, and a huge difference whether or not you are looking for it. And yes, even A.I is affected.
Seems a bit weird to me that some aren't arsed about 4K/FPS this gen, in that case they might as well stick to current gen consoles. It's like back when the PS3 launched and you said you weren't arsed about 1080/720p and continued to game on a analog signal TV.

Bojan11

Seems a bit weird to me that some aren't arsed about 4K/FPS this gen, in that case they might as well stick to current gen consoles. It's like back when the PS3 launched and you said you weren't arsed about 1080/720p and continued to game on a analog signal TV.
Yeah Elvis, stick to your PS2.

Cloud7

New games aren't going to be released for older consoles :rolleyes: It might surprise you to learn that visuals aren't the most important thing about gaming for some people. For me the order of importance goes Story, Gameplay, Music, Visuals.

Shark

@NotShark
New games aren't going to be released for older consoles :rolleyes: It might surprise you to learn that visuals aren't the most important thing about gaming for some people. For me the order of importance goes Story, Gameplay, Music, Visuals.
Fair points, although I'd say the PS4 will still support newly released games for a good while yet. By the way I'm not saying it's perfectly not fine to continue to game at 1080p on next gen consoles just pointing out it may be a waste in terms of what the machine can do. I mean you can be not arsed about 4K but it's a pretty big jump in resolution.

Tiber

The switch was underpowered compared to even PS4 at launch, but was a huge success. It's the quality of games that matters

Adamsk7

Do we know whether the additional storage option is a replacement for the NVMe that’s already in there or you can add a separate one? If it’s a replacement, that’s a real negative as to get more storage I’d have to purchase a 2Tb drive to replace the existing amount and add a further 1Tb. That would make the Microsoft alternative, even at £219, seem cheap!

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My Argos one got confirmed so I will need to cancel that. I'm still suspicious of how easy it was to order one from Amazon :lol:
I cancelled my Argos order & am relying on Amazon to not let me down. I think if there was going to be an issue, they would’ve said something by now.

Was a pain having to call Argos up rather than being able to do it online but managed to sort it all out. Hopefully people who genuinely want the console can get it not the idiots hoarding consoles to sell on eBay for profits.

Shark

@NotShark
The switch was underpowered compared to even PS4 at launch, but was a huge success. It's the quality of games that matters
The switch isn't capable of 4K though, it's a 720/1080p machine. PS5/Xbox series X are 4K machines that support lower resolutions, you're paying extra money for that.

Tiber

Do we know whether the additional storage option is a replacement for the NVMe that’s already in there or you can add a separate one? If it’s a replacement, that’s a real negative as to get more storage I’d have to purchase a 2Tb drive to replace the existing amount and add a further 1Tb. That would make the Microsoft alternative, even at £219, seem cheap!
You add extra drives, you don't replace the existing one

Bojan11

Replace the existing drive? I got bad news for you because external storage on PS5 is going to cost similar or more at the start. It will drop down after a few years.