Gaming PlayStation 5

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I want a ps5 as much as the next guy but I'd never be stupid enough to spend that amount on a console. I'd rather not bother having one.

Why anyone would want to line scalpers pockets with that sort of cash I honestly don't know.

Kaos

The scalping on the consoles has been every bit as bad, if not worse (look at what happened today), and the power level is no different to any recent gen. They are powerful, but they are already being left behind same as ever.

Plus, I'm also messing a bit too ;)
Oh, I was lucky enough to pick up a PS5 for its normal RRP, so no scalpers to contend with :D

And yeah I accept there will always be that divide in technical fidelity, but lets face it - developers are doing absolute feck all with the PC's power, and most PC releases are poorly optimised console ports these days anyway. Cyberpunk was pretty much the only game I was looking forward to on the PC, nothing in the near or distant future remotely entices me to consider upgrading my rig.

Bojan11

Paying 1.3k ish, but it's local so I get to actually have the console before paying, see it working etc. I'd rather pay extra for that safety.
1.3k euros? I spend money on stupid shit, so do a lot of people on here. No way I could overpay by 800 on the RRP.

@Pexbo you are doing it wrong.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
1.3k euros? I spend money on stupid shit, so do a lot of people on here. No way I could overpay by 800 on the RRP.

@Pexbo you are doing it wrong.
I let mine go for RRP so I’m definitely doing it wrong

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Oh, I was lucky enough to pick up a PS5 for its normal RRP, so no scalpers to contend with :D

And yeah I accept there will always be that divide in technical fidelity, but lets face it - developers are doing absolute feck all with the PC's power, and most PC releases are poorly optimised console ports these days anyway. Cyberpunk was pretty much the only game I was looking forward to on the PC, nothing in the near or distant future remotely entices me to consider upgrading my rig.
Not the thread for it but that's bollox mate. The example you gave is a game that was built for PCs and had an awful console port ffs :lol:

Kaos

Not the thread for it but that's bollox mate. The example you gave is a game that was built for PCs and had an awful console port ffs :lol:
Cyberpunk wasn't an example I gave, merely that it was the last game that encouraged me to upgrade my rig.

And I wish I were wrong but unfortunately I still stand by my point - the majority of PC games (multiplatform ones that is) are mostly an afterthought and are lazily ported over from the consoles. There are obviously a few exceptions, but for the most part outside of modding and more graphics settings, there isn't a huge incentive for PCs. You think back to the 90s and noughties, and certain games could only ever be possible on PC - the likes of Deus Ex, Half Life, EverQuest, etc. Nowadays most games are essentially their console counterparts, capped at 60ps with few anti-alias and FOV sliders.

Massive Spanner

Cyberpunk wasn't an example I gave, merely that it was the last game that encouraged me to upgrade my rig.

And I wish I were wrong but unfortunately I still stand by my point - the majority of PC games (multiplatform ones that is) are mostly an afterthought and are lazily ported over from the consoles. There are obviously a few exceptions, but for the most part outside of modding and more graphics settings, there isn't a huge incentive for PCs. You think back to the 90s and noughties, and certain games could only ever be possible on PC - the likes of Deus Ex, Half Life, EverQuest, etc. Nowadays most games are essentially their console counterparts, capped at 60ps with few anti-alias and FOV sliders.
Well I totally disagree. Plenty games I've played lately run way better on PC. You've conveniently left out the main benefits of a PC which are high refresh rates and response times in monitors. A gaming PC that can do.. say.. 1440p 144hz well still shits all over the new consoles when running pretty much any game.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Well I totally disagree. Plenty games I've played lately run way better on PC. You've conveniently left out the main benefits of a PC which are high refresh rates and response times in monitors. A gaming PC that can do.. say.. 1440p 144hz well still shits all over the new consoles when running pretty much any game.
Yeah, the "most games are capped at 60fps" comment shows how out of touch you are Kaos my boomer friend :lol:

And I know you have a PS5, that doesn't make your scalping point valid. I have a PS5, X and a 3070 and I didn't over pay for any of them via scalpers.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, the "most games are capped at 60fps" comment shows how out of touch you are Kaos my boomer friend :lol:

And I know you have a PS5, that doesn't make your scalping point valid. I have a PS5, X and a 3070 and I didn't over pay for any of them via scalpers.
Oh look at Mr Rich!

Kaos

I do play on a 144hz monitor, thankfully high refresh rates are the single reason I continue to play competitive FPS games solely on PC. A lot of PC games can't even be extended beyond 60fps without editing config files, and others just run horrifically. You ever tried running a Bethesda game at over 60fps? It's absolute jank galore (yes I know its Bethesda, but even by their standards its borderline unplayable). Even the reputable big boys seem to treat PC versions with contempt - remember the shitshow that was GTA IV on PC? Don't get me wrong, the PC is still my preferred platform of choice, but I don't think it offers that much more in this era compared to bygone eras, where it felt like an entirely different experience altogether.

I'm almost certainly younger than you ya cheeky sod :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I do play on a 144hz monitor, thankfully high refresh rates are the single reason I continue to play competitive FPS games solely on PC. A lot of PC games can't even be extended beyond 60fps without editing config files, and others just run horrifically. You ever tried running a Bethesda game at over 60fps? It's absolute jank galore (yes I know its Bethesda, but even by their standards its borderline unplayable). Even the reputable big boys seem to treat PC versions with contempt - remember the shitshow that was GTA IV on PC? Don't get me wrong, the PC is still my preferred platform of choice, but I don't think it offers that much more in this era compared to bygone eras, where it felt like an entirely different experience altogether.
You seem to be talking about old games.

Show me a modern FPS that restricts you to 60? Hell you even use one of the main strengths of the PC against it in that we can customise the games to suit :lol:

You are getting old. Want to put your feet up infront of the tele playing some dumbed game on your controller? What have you become!

Ok Boomer.

;)

Bojan11

GTA VI released like 12 years ago.

RDR 2 is amazing on PC and the console versions don’t come close.

I don’t agree with a lot of PC games need to be configured to play over 60 FPS. Played Doom Eternal at 200 FPS the other day and did not configure a file. Gears 5, Outer worlds and Halo MCC were running at 120 FPS. Horizon can run over 100 FPS.

I have yet to see a game that has made me play at 60FPS only. I got a 3090, but a lot of these games run pretty much like above on a 3080 at 1440p.

Massive Spanner

That's just not true.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It's Ode's money. If he has it to hand and spending it won't result in financial difficulties for him further down the line, I'm not one to judge. Shame that you weren't able to get one for face value but at least you'll be able to try it first to ensure it works. Enjoy @Ødegaard

Anustart89

Agree with @Damien. You go @Ødegaard, do whatever you want with your money.

I approached a guy in a parking lot as he came out with two on release day and he agreed to sell one to me. Sue us.

Bojan11

Saint of Killers said:
Latest deal is Games Under £20: https://en.psprices.com/region-gb/discounts/?sort=date&page=1

Swiped from HotUKDeals:

• #Funtime £7.19
  • 11-11 Memories Retold £3.19
  • 911 Operator £7.49
  • A Knight's Quest £3.99
  • Accel World Vs. Sword Art Online £8.99
  • Agony £3.19
  • Alien: Isolation £5.99
  • American Fugitive £4.49
  • Anthem £10.79
  • Antiquia Lost £5.99
  • Ash of Gods: Redemption £7.49
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey £15.99
  • Assassin's Creed Origins £9.99
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission £12.94
  • Atomicrops £5.99
  • Aven Colony £7.49
  • Bad North £5.99
  • Batman - The Telltale Series - Season Pass £3.59
  • Batman: The Enemy Within - Season Pass £3.59
  • Battlefield 1 Revolution £8.74
  • Battlefield 4 £6.39
  • Battlefield V £13.49
  • Beholder 2 £2.99
  • Beholder Complete Edition £2.39
  • Beyond Eyes £1.99
  • Black Clover: Quartet Knights Deluxe Edition £8.47
  • Black the Fall £3.59
  • Bloodborne £10.39
  • Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition £8.24
  • Bound by Flame £1.79
  • Bravo Team £8.24
  • Brothers: a Tale of two Sons £3.74
  • Call of Cthulhu £7.49
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Gold Edition £15.99
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Zombies Chronicles Edition £15.49
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts Gold Edition £15.99
  • Car Mechanic Simulator £13.74
  • Carly and the Reaperman - Escape from the Underworld £7.74
  • Children of Zodiarcs £4.49
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy! £16.49
  • Chubby Pixel Mega Bundle £11.99
  • Citadel: Forged with Fire £13.99
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! £3.24
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2/3 Bundle!! £12.99
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?! £11.19
  • Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition £4.79
  • Dead by Daylight: Special Edition £12.49
  • Dead Island Definitive Edition £2.59
  • Dead Island: Riptide Definitive Edition £2.59
  • Dead Rising Triple Bundle Pack £11.99
  • Death Stranding £15.99
  • Deleveled £4.80
  • Descenders (Simplified Chinese, English, Korean, Japanese, Traditional Chinese) £11.99
  • Detroit: Become Human Digital Deluxe Edition £9.99
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided £3.74
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Digital Deluxe Edition £5.24
  • Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker'S Memory £11.24
  • DiRT Rally Plus PlaystationVR Bundle £4.99
  • Dishonored Definitive Edition £8.99
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider £5.99
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - Deluxe Bundle £15.99
  • Doom VFR £5.99
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - Game of the Year Edition £5.74
  • Dragon Ball Fighterz £7.67
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 £7.99
  • End Space £3.99
  • Erica £4.49
  • Escape Plan £3.79
  • Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture £3.99
  • F1 2017 £4.49
  • F1 2019 £9.99
  • F1 2019 Legends Edition Senna & Prost £12.99
  • Far Cry 4 £8.49
  • Far Cry 4 - Gold Edition £13.49
  • Far Cry Primal - Apex Edition £8.99
  • Farpoint £7.99
  • Fear Effect Sedna £1.59
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD £7.99
  • Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer: Comrades £3.99
  • Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition HD £12.49
  • Firewall Zero Hour £10.74
  • Flockers £2.99
  • Flywrench £2.89
  • For Honor Complete Edition £15.99
  • For Honor Standard Edition £7.49
  • For The King £4.99
  • Forgotton Anne £6.39
  • Fruit Ninja VR £9.79
  • Genesis Alpha One £8.49
  • Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved £3.49
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint £7.79
  • God Eater 2 Rage Burst £6.74
  • GoNNER £1.59
  • Gonner 2 £6.99
  • GONNER2 Lose Your Head Deluxe Bundle £11.19
  • Gran Turismo Sport Spec II £12.49
  • Gravity Rush 2 £12.94
  • Grid Ultimate Edition £12.99
  • Grow Home £3.24
  • Grow Up £3.99
  • House Flipper £13.99
  • Hue £1.79
  • Indie Bundle: Shiness and Seasons after Fall £2.99
  • inFAMOUS First Light £5.63
  • inFAMOUS Second Son £7.99
  • Injustice 2 - Legendary Edition £17.27
  • Jump Force - Deluxe Edition £15.99
  • Just Cause 3 £3.19
  • Just Cause 3: XXL Edition £4.99
  • Just Cause 4 - Complete Edition £13.74
  • Just Dance 2020 £15.99
  • Killzone Shadow Fall £7.99
  • Kingdom Treasury Collection £16.24
  • Kingdom Two Crowns £10.06
  • Kingdom: New Lands £2.99
  • Knack £4.79
  • Knack 2 £8.99
  • L. A. Noire £17.49
  • La Cops £2.87
  • Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Premium Edition £13.24
  • Lego Ninjago Movie Video Game £15.99
  • Lethal VR £2.99
  • Little Nightmares £3.99
  • LittleBigPlanet 3 £7.99
  • Manual Samuel £1.59
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda – Standard Recruit Edition £6.29
  • Masters of Anima £2.39
  • Metro Exodus Gold Edition £15.99
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst £3.05
  • Monopoly Family Fun Pack £6.24
  • Monopoly Plus £5.39
  • Monster Of The Deep: Final Fantasy XV £12.49
  • Mosaic £11.19
  • Mosaic 1% Edition £13.99
  • Moss £12.49
  • MudRunner £7.49
  • Mugsters £1.99
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect £1.59
  • Narcos: Rise of the Cartels £4.99
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy £8.74
  • Naruto To Boruto: Shinobi Striker £6.99
  • Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm £6.39
  • NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 £6.24
  • NBA 2KVR Experience £5.99
  • Need for Speed £3.99
  • Need for Speed Payback £7.49
  • Need for Speed Rivals £2.71
  • New Gundam Breaker £15.83
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered £12.99
  • Nidhogg 2 £5.99
  • No Heroes Allowed! VR £8.24
  • Octahedron £3.99
  • Oh My Godheads £2.39
  • OhShape £12.79
  • One Piece Burning Blood £7.49
  • One Piece Burning Blood - Gold Edition £10.39
  • One Piece World Seeker £12.99
  • One Piece: Unlimited World Red - Deluxe Edition £8.24
  • Outward £10.49
  • Overcooked: Gourmet Edition £6.39
  • Pawarumi £7.19
  • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition. £2.87
  • Peaky Blinders: Mastermind £11.99
  • Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight £9.99
  • Persona 5 £7.49
  • Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight £9.99
  • Persona 5: Ultimate Edition £15.99
  • Planet Alpha £3.99
  • PlayStationVR Worlds £9.99
  • Prey: Digital Deluxe Edition £10.49
  • Project Cars - Game of the Year Edition £6.24
  • Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition £10.49
  • Prototype £3.99
  • Prototype Biohazard Bundle £7.99
  • Prototype2 £5.99
  • Rad £4.79
  • Rage 2 £15.99
  • Raging Justice £2.49
  • Ray's The Dead £11.99
  • Redeemer: Enhanced Edition £7.49
  • Relicta £9.59
  • Resident Evil £3.99
  • Resident Evil 0 £3.99
  • Resident Evil 2 Deluxe Edition £15.99
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard Gold Edition £15.99
  • Resident Evil Code: Veronica X £5.51
  • Resident Evil Revelations £6.39
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 Deluxe Edition £7.49
  • Rigs Mechanized Combat League £6.39
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration £4.99
  • Roundguard £8.39
  • Scribblenauts Mega Pack £6.24
  • Seasons after Fall £1.59
  • Sheltered £2.49
  • Shiftlings £3.49
  • Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom £2.39
  • Shing! £7.99
  • Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition £3.74
  • Slender: The Arrival £1.59
  • Snake Pass £3.19
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole £11.99
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth £8.49
  • Space Crew £7.99
  • Space Hulk Bundle £15.99
  • Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition £7.49
  • Space Hulk: Tactics £7.49
  • Steep £7.99
  • Street Fighter V £6.39
  • Suicide Guy £2.59
  • Suicide Guy Bundle £7.69
  • Suicide Guy: Sleepin' Deeply £1.49
  • Super Stardust Ultra VR £3.99
  • Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet £8.74
  • Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization £7.19
  • Sword Art Online: Lost Song £7.19
  • Tales of Zestiria - Digital Standard Edition £6.24
  • Team Sonic Racing £15.99
  • Telltale Batman Shadows Edition £7.49
  • The Bridge £1.99
  • The Catch: Carp & Coarse - Deluxe Edition £12.49
  • The Crew 2 - Deluxe Edition £9.59
  • The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man Of Medan £8.24
  • The Division 2 - Standard Edition £8.49
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR £15.99
  • The Escapists 2 - Game of the Year Edition £8.39
  • The Escapists: Supermax Edition £4.49
  • The Evil Within £6.39
  • The Evil Within 2 £10.49
  • The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition £2.39
  • The Inpatient £7.99
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 4 £12.09
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 5 £13.74
  • The Last Guardian £11.99
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind (Standalone) £3.99
  • The Little Acre £1.99
  • The Order: 1886 £11.19
  • The Surge £3.99
  • The Surge 2 - Premium Edition £14.99
  • The Wolf Among Us £3.89
  • Thief £1.59
  • Titanfall 2: Ultimate Edition £4.24
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Gold Edition £15.99
  • Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands - Standard Edition £15.99
  • Tour de France 2020 £15.99
  • TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2 £15.99
  • Tumblestone £4.99
  • UFC 4 Deluxe Edition £39.19
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy £10.39
  • Uno £3.99
  • Unravel Two £5.59
  • Unruly Heroes £8.79
  • Until Dawn £7.99
  • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood £5.59
  • Valley £2.39
  • Vampyr £8.74
  • West of Dead £10.39
  • West of Dead Path of the Crow Edition £11.04
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus £9.89
  • Woodle Tree Adventures Deluxe £1.47
  • World Of Final Fantasy £9.99
  • Worms Rumble £8.99
  • Worms Rumble - Digital Deluxe Edition £12.99
  • WRC 8 Deluxe Edition Fia World Rally Championship £16.79
  • XCOM 2 - Digital Deluxe Edition £13.24
  • Yakuza 0 £3.99
  • Yakuza 3 Remastered £7.99
  • Yakuza 4 Remastered £7.99
  • Yakuza 5 Remastered £7.99
  • Yoku's Island Express £3.99
  • Yooka-Laylee: Buddy Duo Bundle £15.99
  • Zombie Army Trilogy £4.49

PSN under £20 sale.

@esmufc07 now is your time to play Yakuza zero for only £3.99.

Anustart89

And people are also allowed to think scalping is a shite practice that at very least shouldn't be openly praised.

But each to their own!
Nobody's openly praising it, where did you see that? Do you think people would think the problem was gone if he hadn't posted about his console, and what about his post could be construed as praise for scalpers?

It's an investment in something that's in high demand, and yes, it's shitty because a lot of gamers are queuing for it and are being leapfrogged by people willing to pay their way past the queue, but as an investment it's not much different to buying a stock and then selling it to someone else for a higher price than you bought it for.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Good for you if you can afford to do it @Ødegaard, when I want something I'm always looking for the best prices but if it's something I really want I'd pay above within what I can afford no probs.

I've been console gaming since sega megadrive and had all the playstations, but console gaming just doesn't do it for me anymore. Cyberpunk and Gears 5 were first non-fifa games that got me wanting to play again, to the point I picked up a 3070 [paid about £85 extra for it] and other bits for the PC to do it decently enough and I'm loving it! With grand strategy, FM and all the games available on Steam and Gamepass I don't think I'll ever need to go back to consoles.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I don’t think anyone is saying that he can’t do what he wants with his money, which of course he can.

But that’s a separate point to recognising that by spending that much, it is that collective attitude that allows a place for scalpers.

On the other hand you may critique Sony for not pricing their console efficiently.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
There is just too many comments to start replying to all of them individually. :lol:

But yes, I'm fine with the price. I dislike scalpers and would prefer their practices to end completely, and think there should be a law against that practice.

That said, I think the guy I'm buying from is in pexbos situation or in a bad situation money wise. He has 1 or 2 ps5's, only 1 out for sale. He has earlier said no to an offer of 1200 ish, so he isn't trying to shift as many as possible.
From what I've gathered there comes a batch of ps5 to Norway around March, but those are already sold, with no info about the batch after that, meaning I could have ended up waiting for a long time still. The cheapest I've seen on the private market is at around 800, but those are also from people who aren't in my city and from what I remember they are also on newly made accounts making it suspicious. :p

Siorac

The costs can balloon pretty quickly though. A 3070 is more expensive than any console; a 144Hz monitor can be cheap-ish at this point but still an extra cost (if we assume that you'd have a TV anyway, console or not). I thought about upgrading my PC but I'd pretty much have to get a new one - motherboard, CPU, GPU. So the extra graphical fidelity is simply not worth it to me at this point. A PC set-up that costs as much as a PS5 (monitor included) won't reach 144 FPS either, not in the latest newest games anyway.

Of course I was never a graphics/FPS guy. I mainly prefer PC gaming because of full backwards compatibility, modding, and not having to pay extra for multiplayer (but I never really play multiplayer games anyway so...)

Massive Spanner

The costs can balloon pretty quickly though. A 3070 is more expensive than any console; a 144Hz monitor can be cheap-ish at this point but still an extra cost (if we assume that you'd have a TV anyway, console or not). I thought about upgrading my PC but I'd pretty much have to get a new one - motherboard, CPU, GPU. So the extra graphical fidelity is simply not worth it to me at this point. A PC set-up that costs as much as a PS5 (monitor included) won't reach 144 FPS either, not in the latest newest games anyway.

Of course I was never a graphics/FPS guy. I mainly prefer PC gaming because of full backwards compatibility, modding, and not having to pay extra for multiplayer (but I never really play multiplayer games anyway so...)
Not really what I was saying though, money wasn't part of the discussion at all.

Anyway I would say it really depends on the situation. Two years ago in the latter years of the ps4 and xbone you could easily build a PC that was better value wise than spending money on buying them. Right now at the very start of the new gen, yeah, PS5 and Series X look like really good value. But in another few years that will shift yet again.

Anyway everyone knows you don't go PC over console for monetary reasons, you pretty much always have to accept that you will need to pay more for it. If the argument is that consoles are generally much cheaper as gaming devices than PC's, then obviously that's true. But if you are willing to spend the money on PC's it's a better place to play games in a lot of ways.

oh and you could also argue that all the different platforms and 3rd party sellers etc. on PC can drive costs down a lot over its lifespan vs consoles plus the fact that PC's are also more than just gaming devices but.. whatevz.

Shark

@NotShark
Not sure if already posted but a great piece if work from DF. The PS5 really is more powerful than meets the eye. It performs 20% better than an RTX 2070 super and 8.6% less than 3070 in native 4k with ray tracing.

Last edited:

Siorac

Not really what I was saying though, money wasn't part of the discussion at all.

Anyway I would say it really depends on the situation. Two years ago in the latter years of the ps4 and xbone you could easily build a PC that was better value wise than spending money on buying them. Right now at the very start of the new gen, yeah, PS5 and Series X look like really good value. But in another few years that will shift yet again.

Anyway everyone knows you don't go PC over console for monetary reasons, you pretty much always have to accept that you will need to pay more for it. If the argument is that consoles are generally much cheaper as gaming devices than PC's, then obviously that's true. But if you are willing to spend the money on PC's it's a better place to play games in a lot of ways.

oh and you could also argue that all the different platforms and 3rd party sellers etc. on PC can drive costs down a lot over its lifespan vs consoles plus the fact that PC's are also more than just gaming devices but.. whatevz.
Let's go back to the original discussion then: Kaos wasn't exactly wrong about there being games where unlimited FPS still isn't a thing even on PC. He says he's a big Soulsborne fan and that makes sense: From Software games still need third-party mods to run at anything higher than 60 FPS on PC. You have to actively look for stuff to unlock it. It's not the norm but, well, consoles still do hold back PC games somewhat. When a developer doesn't rein in the PC version for the sake of the consoles - well that's when you get Cyberpunk, as you said.

The 144 Hz experience is nice but, for me at least, it really only makes a massive difference in first-person shooters. I was much better at Battlefront playing on my friend's PC than on my own. But Sekiro with unlocked framerate wasn't a drastically different and improved experience. So I'd say it also depends what sort of games you play.

Massive Spanner

Let's go back to the original discussion then: Kaos wasn't exactly wrong about there being games where unlimited FPS still isn't a thing even on PC. He says he's a big Soulsborne fan and that makes sense: From Software games still need third-party mods to run at anything higher than 60 FPS on PC. You have to actively look for stuff to unlock it. It's not the norm but, well, consoles still do hold back PC games somewhat. When a developer doesn't rein in the PC version for the sake of the consoles - well that's when you get Cyberpunk, as you said.

The 144 Hz experience is nice but, for me at least, it really only makes a massive difference in first-person shooters. I was much better at Battlefront playing on my friend's PC than on my own. But Sekiro with unlocked framerate wasn't a drastically different and improved experience. So I'd say it also depends what sort of games you play.
Almost no PC game released in the last four or five years comes locked at 60fps. Are there games it does happen with? Sure, but it's a relatively small amount.

I mean obviously if you play an older game it might have limitations like that because back then high refresh rates simply weren't an important thing for PC gaming whereas now, they are.

Anyway I don't know what you are even arguing at this point. One minute it's cost, now about what Kaos said. I simply said that Kaos comments that PC games are poor ports of console games these days is bullshit. Which it clearly is.

I'd never recommend PC over console to play a driving game for example (although.. if you have a controller, it can still be better) but I didn't think I'd have to go and explain such obvious things to someone who is a PC gamer themselves ;) Both have their advantages and disadvantages, that's why I like to own both!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So Game are now refuting claims that scalpers snagged over 2000 PS5's in one day: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...laims-2000-consoles-from-games-latest-restock

We have strong measures in place to help ensure that our '1 per customer' statement is maintained to allow for as many individual customers to successfully purchase as possible
All pre-orders are subject to automatic checks and order updates such as cancellations following these checks take place after a customer will have received a valid order confirmation email. At the present time these orders are still pre-orders and as such no payments have yet been taken from customers. Payments will commence once our order checks have been completed.
I was reading about how Walmart implemented an anti-bot system when they knew they were having a massive batch in. Within the first 30 minutes, they had blocked something like 20 million bots.

MPs are also calling for a ban on "automated buying bots" in the UK. Not sure how that would be enforced.

Bosws87

Not sure if already posted but a great piece if work from DF. The PS5 really is more powerful than meets the eye. It performs 20% better than an RTX 2070 super and 8.6% less than 3070 in native 4k with ray tracing.

Slight disclaimer in that they couldn't lower the settings low enough to match the PS5 as the options aren't available.

Siorac

Almost no PC game released in the last four or five years comes locked at 60fps. Are there games it does happen with? Sure, but it's a relatively small amount.

I mean obviously if you play an older game it might have limitations like that because back then high refresh rates simply weren't an important thing for PC gaming whereas now, they are.

Anyway I don't know what you are even arguing at this point. One minute it's cost, now about what Kaos said. I simply said that Kaos comments that PC games are poor ports of console games these days is bullshit. Which it clearly is.

I'd never recommend PC over console to play a driving game for example (although.. if you have a controller, it can still be better) but I didn't think I'd have to go and explain such obvious things to someone who is a PC gamer themselves ;) Both have their advantages and disadvantages, that's why I like to own both!
I don't know what we're arguing either. I think my point is - I'm not actually sure - that for a significant amount of games, the PC version isn't necessarily a notably superior experience, and that consoles being the main market for games does hold back PC gaming to an extent. PC games might not be poor ports of console games but often they're an afterthought. Just look at every single game that ties physics to framerate - hello, Bethesda - which can cause extremely funky results when you're playing at 144 fps. Which also means that PC gaming's higher costs may or may not be worth it for any particular player, depending on the kind of games they're into.

A driving game might not be the greatest example actually, depending on the kind. For a hardcore, realistic simulator I'd say get it on PC and use a proper steering wheel with pedals and shit, and crank that framerate up for maximum smoothness and visual information.