Gaming PlayStation 5

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I loved it.

It's basically just a variety of fetch quests but the world and art design are amazing. Even the choppy performance didn't sour me on it.
Cool, will check it out.
Plus it has music by Japanese Breakfast which is, conveniently, who I'm listening too at this particular moment.

Last edited:

Superunknown

Felt in the mood for a racing game and downloaded Assetto Corsa Competizione as it's part of that game collection thing with the Plus tier I'm on. Just couldn't get to grips with the handling of it at all. On corners, I was just going straight off the track with no turning or steering whatsoever. No matter what car I tried or settings I altered, it just felt like complete ass to play. Persevered for a few hours but ultimately felt disappointed. Reading up online, I get the impression that it's a hardcore game where you need to buy a steering wheel and sink hours into it just to get a little bit better.

Scrolled through PSN and finally decided to make GT7 my first Gran Turismo title. My first Playstation was the PS4 and I grew up mainly with Nintendo and Sega consoles. Been on it all day. I fecking love it. It's wonderful. It's exactly what I wanted and was after. Feels sexy as hell to play, too. Teenager me would be all over this.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Felt in the mood for a racing game and downloaded Assetto Corsa Competizione as it's part of that game collection thing with the Plus tier I'm on. Just couldn't get to grips with the handling of it at all. On corners, I was just going straight off the track with no turning or steering whatsoever. No matter what car I tried or settings I altered, it just felt like complete ass to play. Persevered for a few hours but ultimately felt disappointed. Reading up online, I get the impression that it's a hardcore game where you need to buy a steering wheel and sink hours into it just to get a little bit better.

Scrolled through PSN and finally decided to make GT7 my first Gran Turismo title. My first Playstation was the PS4 and I grew up mainly with Nintendo and Sega consoles. Been on it all day. I fecking love it. It's wonderful. It's exactly what I wanted and was after. Feels sexy as hell to play, too. Teenager me would be all over this.
Yeah, Assetto Corsa takes itself very seriously. I treated myself to a decent steering wheel setup a few weeks back and downloaded AC to see what the fuss was about. It is easier with a wheel but only marginally. GT7 plays much nicer and is more fun whereas AC aims for proper simulation.

Enjoy GT7, I’m just ploughing through the licences trying to hold them all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We expecting a new console this year? I’d be surprised if there isn’t one. Be that a ‘pro’ model or a new slimmer model/redesign.
Think it's a bit too early considering how rare it still is to get one. Perhaps early next year?

Ainu

We expecting a new console this year? I’d be surprised if there isn’t one. Be that a ‘pro’ model or a new slimmer model/redesign.
Zero chance of a pro model. Have we even left cross-gen? Let's get some games for the current hardware first. Can't say I expect a slim model either, they're still struggling to meet demand as it is and they've only just increased the price, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they can start up alternative manufacturing lines for a new version. What Sony desperately needs is existing manufacturing optimizations and hopefully price cuts as a result.

crossy1686

career ending
They can't make the current one's fast enough due to the chip shortage. The 'thin' or 'Pro' models usually come when demand slows down, not just for the sake of it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
According the the internet a new model is coming this year. It has no disc drive, so you have to buy the drive separate if you want it. It's meant to replace the two current models.

Now, I just hope that it works with the current digital model as I would buy that drive, myself!

Balljy

Zero chance of a pro model. Have we even left cross-gen? Let's get some games for the current hardware first. Can't say I expect a slim model either, they're still struggling to meet demand as it is and they've only just increased the price, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they can start up alternative manufacturing lines for a new version. What Sony desperately needs is existing manufacturing optimizations and hopefully price cuts as a result.
Having a slim model will help Sony with demand if it's on a different process node as it can be manufactured at a different fab rather than have one bottleneck as now. They'll only do it when a new node allows them to make a more efficient chipset though which then means a smaller version is possible.

This year seems too early though agreed, it doesn't feel like we've even hit pure PS5 games yet.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Having a slim model will help Sony with demand if it's on a different process node as it can be manufactured at a different fab rather than have one bottleneck as now. They'll only do it when a new node allows them to make a more efficient chipset though which then means a smaller version is possible.

This year seems too early though agreed, it doesn't feel like we've even hit pure PS5 games yet.
See my post! Tom Henderson reckons a new model is coming this year!

Balljy

See my post! Tom Henderson reckons a new model is coming this year!
Yeah, that's fair. It sounds like the digital version with an extra port for a disk drive to be fair rather than a slim / pro model so will probably just use the existing manufacturing lines.

Ainu

According the the internet a new model is coming this year. It has no disc drive, so you have to buy the drive separate if you want it. It's meant to replace the two current models.

Now, I just hope that it works with the current digital model as I would buy that drive, myself!
I've heard something similar from Digital Foundry sometime last year but their idea was that they would just discontinue the disc version and as a result have a more streamlined production process for a single SKU, which would be the digital console. Maybe slightly modified as @Balljy said, but I wouldn't say that counts as a slim version.

crossy1686

career ending
I've heard something similar from Digital Foundry sometime last year but their idea was that they would just discontinue the disc version and as a result have a more streamlined production process for a single SKU, which would be the digital console. Maybe slightly modified as @Balljy said, but I wouldn't say that counts as a slim version.
They can't bin disks yet. Most of the world doesn't have reliable internet access to download games like a large section of Europe does. Also, the pricing of digital games will have to come down, which will essentially fold every shop that sells games as their main focus.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
They can't bin disks yet. Most of the world doesn't have reliable internet access to download games like a large section of Europe does. Also, the pricing of digital games will have to come down, which will essentially fold every shop that sells games as their main focus.
Why will digital games have to come down? They're just going to keep ripping us off in the UK. The want to get rid of disc drive and this next model is a half step towards that.

I hate that games are going that way, as I'm not paying £70 for a game that I can't sell back.

Ainu

Of course not, but the idea was that they would only have digital consoles but sell external drives as add-on. The total price would probably be similar to the current version with built-in drive.

Volumiza

I hate that games are going that way, as I'm not paying £70 for a game that I can't sell back.
Yeah, it's such a crime how expensive digital copies are. One day they'll have us completely but I try and resist and only buy physical editions. Game over when it goes pure digital.

crossy1686

career ending
Of course not, but the idea was that they would only have digital consoles but sell external drives as add-on. The total price would probably be similar to the current version with built-in drive.
Well that's exactly what you'd expect of a corporation that has loads of devices sitting around that no one wants because they don't have a disk drive.

crossy1686

career ending
Why will digital games have to come down? They're just going to keep ripping us off in the UK. The want to get rid of disc drive and this next model is a half step towards that.

Because people will stop buying games with reckless abandon if every game costs £70 or they'll wait for sales before they buy, which is not what the developer or publisher wants.

They aren't going to get rid of the disc drive because no one wants the one's without disc drives for that very reason. Plus, the likes of Sony have deals with retailers around the world for the resale of physical media.

When you see the sales per game metrics from Sony, that's the amount of units they've sold to places like GAME, not the amount that have been purchased by consumers. Even the digital sales are to resellers who've purchased keys from Sony, not individual downloads. The reason digital games are so expensive is because it would kill retail stores for Sony to undercut everyone and charge £40 a game on the PS Store, especially when that's probably what they're charging retail resellers per game. They'd also be in breach of pretty much every contract they've signed with said resellers.

Ainu

Well that's exactly what you'd expect of a corporation that has loads of devices sitting around that no one wants because they don't have a disk drive.
Do you mean the digital PS5s aren't getting sold? I genuinely have no idea, I would've thought they were selling out just as quickly as the disk version. I still haven't seen a PS5 on shelves (except the one time I got lucky 1.5 years ago :lol:) or seen it listed as available for purchase online.

crossy1686

career ending
Do you mean the digital PS5s aren't getting sold? I genuinely have no idea, I would've thought they were selling out just as quickly as the disk version. I still haven't seen a PS5 on shelves (except the one time I got lucky 1.5 years ago :lol:) or seen it listed as available for purchase online.
Digital editions are selling because there's such a shortage of PS5's in general but sales suggest that all things being available in abundance, most people would prefer the disc version and the digital would be sat on shelves still. Whenever I've seen one available to buy in store or online it's always been a digital version. I got really lucky with my standard version, had to go in store and put my name on a secret list, it was all a bit weird.

Superunknown

GT7 is just brilliant. I'm pulling this face the entire time while playing it. :drool: It looks absolutely gorgeous and it plays so well. I'm addicted to it...put in over 20 hours already and am really having to force myself to put it down.

Volumiza

GT7 is just brilliant. I'm pulling this face the entire time while playing it. :drool: It looks absolutely gorgeous and it plays so well. I'm addicted to it...put in over 20 hours already and am really having to force myself to put it down.
Yeah, I've recently bought a wheel and pedal setup after years of wanting one just to play this on. GT7 is next level and been having time trial races against my mate. Also been hammering the licences.

Top, top quality bit of software. Oozes class.

Superunknown

Yeah, I've recently bought a wheel and pedal setup after years of wanting one just to play this on. GT7 is next level and been having time trial races against my mate. Also been hammering the licences.

Top, top quality bit of software. Oozes class.
I don't normally find myself being hooked by racers, but there's just something about it. It feels very 'premium', I guess. Everything from the graphics to the sound, to the amount of cars to collect, to the presentation and tight controls. I'm in love. :drool: I'm well aware that I'm a bit shit at it, but I don't even care, I'm having fun.

Volumiza

I don't normally find myself being hooked by racers, but there's just something about it. It feels very 'premium', I guess. Everything from the graphics to the sound, to the amount of cars to collect, to the presentation and tight controls. I'm in love. :drool: I'm well aware that I'm a bit shit at it, but I don't even care, I'm having fun.
It’s the closest we’ll get to thrashing a Ferrari round Suzuka :lol:

Well, that is until GT8 on ps6!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'd recommend sniper elite 5 to anyone wanting a good co-op game. Me and swooshboy are currently going through it and it's class, from thinking we are the top kiddies in the SAS and being awesome at stealth kills, to walking round a corner into the path of a guard and alerting the whole island :lol: it's great fun, missions are proper lengthy too if you do it properly. It's not overly complicated either like a lot of games end up, just fun from start to finish. Some great laughs sneaking up on the enemy then they turn round and the sheer panic in our voices "shit shit shit" and the obvious "feck" once we are seen.

Got quite a bit of replay value too, we thought we'd been thorough so far but feck me we've missed allsorts.

Also, testicle shots will never get old.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'd recommend sniper elite 5 to anyone wanting a good co-op game. Me and swooshboy are currently going through it and it's class, from thinking we are the top kiddies in the SAS and being awesome at stealth kills, to walking round a corner into the path of a guard and alerting the whole island :lol: it's great fun, missions are proper lengthy too if you do it properly. It's not overly complicated either like a lot of games end up, just fun from start to finish. Some great laughs sneaking up on the enemy then they turn round and the sheer panic in our voices "shit shit shit" and the obvious "feck" once we are seen.

Got quite a bit of replay value too, we thought we'd been thorough so far but feck me we've missed allsorts.

Aye that was a pretty fun game

Volumiza

Never played one but I've heard a few people now say how good they are, I'll check this out I reckon, sounds great.

Volumiza

The amount of games you must have in your backlog scares me. How do you manage?
I don't :lol:

Saying that, my life is much clearer now so I do actually get some decent time for gaming. Tbh, I have a terrifying lack of focus for most things in life, including games, I'll never play most of my back catalogue and I'll actually complete very few games. Most of the games I've not played though are free PS+ titles though, I never / rarely spend money on games I don't play. But I think SE4 is on PS+ currently so I can have a nibble for nowt.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Saying that, my life is much clearer now so I do actually get some decent time for gaming. Tbh, I have a terrifying lack of focus for most things in life, including games, I'll never play most of my back catalogue and I'll actually complete very few games. Most of the games I've not played though are free PS+ titles though, I never / rarely spend money on games I don't play. But I think SE4 is on PS+ currently so I can have a nibble for nowt.
Sniper Elite 5 is on Gamepass lad. You need to turn that Xbox ON

Volumiza

Sniper Elite 5 is on Gamepass lad. You need to turn that Xbox ON
Yes I know, one of my mates is giving me earache too, he wants to play co-op Gears of War (not actually too fussed myself), I've just been hooked on GOW and GT7 and now the ME series it's non stop dude ... as you well know :)

tbh: Starfield is what I'm really waiting for.

Bosws87

I haven't finished God of War or put any time into any console/pc games in a month or so.

Nothing appears to be grabbing my attention in the near future either, one of those spells where gaming just isn't getting me, spending most of my free time learning and playing chess currently is there anything to get excited about in the near future, been out of the loop.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
So..... Monster hunter rise comes out on the 20th January, a game that you can easily sink 100 hours into without even realising it. Then in February, Destiny 2 Lightfall drops... I recently bought Hades, Diablo 2 and the PS4 remakes of Vanquish/Bayonetta out of pure nostalgia. Add to this I've given Fallout 76 a try because it was on PS plus and now DMC5 and Back 4 blood coming on PS Plus Extra. Safe to say my gaming backlog, which is already beyond ridiculous, is about to enter the realms of the absurd.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Back to playing Ghost Of Tsushima and hopefully complete it this time but its getting abit repetitive .

Last edited:

kps88

Back to playing Ghost Of Tsushima and hopefully completed it this time but its getting abit repetitive .
Yeah I really wanted to like it but I finally gave up. Looks beautiful and the combat is solid but the formula got stale.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

yeah, have a bash at SE4, we played through most of that one too iirc but then swoosh was a dick and had a kid or something so we never ended up finishing it.

However, all the SE's are sort of the same thing, they never change much between releases but just freshen it up a bit and new missions, maybe a weapon or two, but the basics stay the same. So SE4 for free is a good place to start to see if you like it.