g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming PlayStation 5

caid

The remake is a cinematic marvel but the core gameplay isn't anything special, and the story in isolation is very bloated versus the original. It's also ridiculously linear for a modern game. I definitely think without the nostalgia factor it's not a particularly great game, but it's still a good one I'd encourage folks to play.
Yeah thats about right. I think the original is a better game, think it'd be a bit of shame to ruin that for a somewhat flawed remake.

I've always wondered what people who never played the original think of the game. I absolutely loved the Remake, but not i'm not sure how much of that was nostalgia carrying me through.
I think part of what carried me through was what changed too. I think large parts of the story would make even less sense if you hadn't played the original
barret dieing / not dieing in Shinra HQ would probably be a pretty weird without the context of the original

Last edited:

pacifictheme

The remake is a cinematic marvel but the core gameplay isn't anything special, and the story in isolation is very bloated versus the original. It's also ridiculously linear for a modern game. I definitely think without the nostalgia factor it's not a particularly great game, but it's still a good one I'd encourage folks to play.
The core combat in remake is by far and away the best combat final fantasy has ever produced. Hard mode is absolutely incredible.

And most non open world games are linear. Can't remember much choice in tlou2 but it's still one of the best games ever made.

pacifictheme

Hellhouse on hard is an amazing fight. Final Fantasy is rarely challenging, so I really hope they do similar stuff in Rebirth.
Loads of it on hard mode is. And I agree final fantasy is generally very easy and that's fine. Like the original ff7 is probably my favourite game of all time, or certainly up there, and it has amazing potential with materia combinations but only about two fights where you really need to use your brain to win. Then on the other end of the scale you have ff10 with the dark aeons that require an ungodly amount of grinding to beat, which isn't much fun either. Remake hit the sweet spot.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Loads of it on hard mode is. And I agree final fantasy is generally very easy and that's fine. Like the original ff7 is probably my favourite game of all time, or certainly up there, and it has amazing potential with materia combinations but only about two fights where you really need to use your brain to win. Then on the other end of the scale you have ff10 with the dark aeons that require an ungodly amount of grinding to beat, which isn't much fun either. Remake hit the sweet spot.
Yeah the dark aeons were cool, but entirely impossible to beat without grinding. The 2 weapons in the og FF7 were great fights, but challenging in a different way.

FF16 would actually be far more awesome if they had actually made it hard.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I did really enjoy the combat but it was a side FF game, not a mainline game, does it really count if it's such a radical departure from the norm? How can you even compare it to a turn-based game really?
Well, it still has a bit of a turnbased feel, especially compared to FF16.

I don't think traditional turn based will ever come back to a modern Final Fantasy game.

pacifictheme

Yeah the dark aeons were cool, but entirely impossible to beat without grinding. The 2 weapons in the og FF7 were great fights, but challenging in a different way.

FF16 would actually be far more awesome if they had actually made it hard.
It does have a hard mode I believe. I am still very early on in the game but that's my understanding. Hoping it shines like ff7r did.

Well, it still has a bit of a turnbased feel, especially compared to FF16.

I don't think traditional turn based will ever come back to a modern Final Fantasy game.
I wouldn't be so sure personally. In a recent interview they said they could do anything for the next game. If you want a recent turn based game though octopath traveller 2 is a really great game, one of the best games I have played in ages.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm tempted to see how far I can get in ff7 by just running away from every battle and just doing the boss fights. Imagine I should be able to get past Midgar but will probably end up getting clobbered on the ship.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It does have a hard mode I believe. I am still very early on in the game but that's my understanding. Hoping it shines like ff7r did.

I wouldn't be so sure personally. In a recent interview they said they could do anything for the next game. If you want a recent turn based game though octopath traveller 2 is a really great game, one of the best games I have played in ages.
I really loved the original Octopath, but the 2nd one didnt really grab me. I'm about midway through, but stopped and decided to replay Suikoden 1, 2 and 3 instead :wenger:

pacifictheme

I'm surprised. I never played the original but the overall consensus seems to have been the second improves on the first in every way.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm surprised. I never played the original but the overall consensus seems to have been the second improves on the first in every way.
So that explains this turd.

The core combat in remake is by far and away the best combat final fantasy has ever produced. Hard mode is absolutely incredible.

caid

Its a different game really. They're not that comparable. But by most standards no. The original was one of the best games ever and one of the highlights of the genre. The remake is quite good. Its more modern, its more accessible, it has its charms. But i'd at least play through midgard in the original game which is about 4 hours or 5 hours playtime. You could probably pick up remake from there and have a decent grasp of whats happening.

Ainu

So that explains this turd.
Its a different game really. They're not that comparable. But by most standards no. The original was one of the best games ever and one of the highlights of the genre. The remake is quite good. Its more modern, its more accessible, it has its charms. But i'd at least play through midgard in the original game which is about 4 hours or 5 hours playtime. You could probably pick up remake from there and have a decent grasp of whats happening.
I think he might be talking about Octopath Traveler in that last post, considering the exchange above it.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Thank the lord I’ve been paid today and can replace my PS5. What a block of sh*t XBox X is in comparison. I really struggle to see why anyone would prefer Microsoft’s machine over Sony’s.

Volumiza

Welcome back
Honestly don’t get it.

Awful asymmetrical controllers that I actually have to put batteries in, fecking where are we? 1976?

Dreadful UI

Doesn’t sync frame rate with my Sony Oled so I’m jammed back at 30fps for some stuff if I want nice graphics

Seems to take ages to download any game.

Just poor.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Honestly don’t get it.

Awful asymmetrical controllers that I actually have to put batteries in, fecking where are we? 1976?

Dreadful UI

Doesn’t sync frame rate with my Sony Oled so I’m jammed back at 30fps for some stuff if I want nice graphics

Seems to take ages to download any game.

Just poor.
Great post.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thank the lord I’ve been paid today and can replace my PS5. What a block of sh*t XBox X is in comparison. I really struggle to see why anyone would prefer Microsoft’s machine over Sony’s.
I reckon you should give your Series X away for free to ensure you don't accidentally go back to it - it'd be awful and not something you need in your life at all.

Preferably give it to someone local, like in the next city over. I'm sure you'd be able to find somebody to take it off your hands quite easily :)

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I reckon you should give your Series X away for free to ensure you don't accidentally go back to it - it'd be awful and not something you need in your life at all.

Preferably give it to someone local, like in the next city over. I'm sure you'd be able to find somebody to take it off your hands quite easily :)
i tired giving mine to a kid who was undergoing chemo and the next week he’d decided to give up fighting the cancer.

Volumiza

You’re a nice guy dude and I’d feel bad inflicting that on you. Save yourself mate.

jasT1981

July PS+

Cold War is a great COD, especially for Zombies, I was going to buy Alan Wake when I get paid as I like the look of the new one. Don't know anything about Extinction is Forever