Gaming PlayStation 5

Bebe

Pretty fecking stupid assumption to make in hindsight..... People couldn't wait to get back outside and do things after so long under lockdown.
I don't even think we need hindsight - imo it was stupid at the time.

I agree with the bolded personally, but I think it's easy to forget that at the time, plenty of people were talking about "the new normal" and how much they enjoyed the freedom from interaction with others, apparently never getting sick, not needing to go into work, school or college physically, etc. I think all of that was absurd, but I won't say more for fear of dragging this thread off topic. Overall I think there were significant voices at the time expressing that things were never going to go back to the "old ways" and perhaps some of these companies bought into that way of thinking (especially since "the new normal" was filling their coffers at rates beyond their wildest dreams).

Reiver

It might have been mentioned already but there is an update out today for Power Wash simulator that patches the glitch with the Platinum Trophy.

No Love

Up to 30 platinums now. I’m about half way through The Last of Us and loving it all over again. The platinum will be a lovely little addition to the collection.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn’t really get Sea of Stars. Played about 6 hours but it’s the same surface level shit over and over. Battles are terribly dull. Deleted it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Didn’t really get Sea of Stars. Played about 6 hours but it’s the same surface level shit over and over. Battles are terribly dull. Deleted it.
It really becomes dull pretty quickly. I got to around 10 hours (on Switch) and deleted it at that point as I found myself forcing to play it. The graphics and world design are fantastic but battles are indeed tedious and writing is average at best.

pacifictheme

Pretty close to the platinum for Helldivers 2. Great game. Started ff7 rebirth tonight as well, also excellent so far.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It really becomes dull pretty quickly. I got to around 10 hours (on Switch) and deleted it at that point as I found myself forcing to play it. The graphics and world design are fantastic but battles are indeed tedious and writing is average at best.
Yeah it felt very poorly written. No idea why the writers seemed to sim.p on Garl and tell us how amazing he is all the time. It’s weird. They all had zero personality.

I assumed further into the game you get new moves and stuff but I looked online and that’s it! The combat is just that shallow repetitive experience for the whole game. And the enemies level up with you so you never actually progress. Awful.

redcucumber

feck me Helldivers is insanely good, Sony absolutely smashed the feck out of it with this one

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The fact I was going to buy F1 23 and Sifu in January and now they're on PS+ just adds to my buyers anxiety!

Now Im certain Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will eventually come plus.

redcucumber

Yep.... Gameplay loop is addictive as feck
Yeh man, the setting and atmosphere is super absorbing as well. Sort of wish the objectives were clearer mind. Played for 4 hours last night with a very sound American German stoner last night that said his cousin is Tessa Thompson ! It was lit.

redcucumber

Up to 30 platinums now. I’m about half way through The Last of Us and loving it all over again. The platinum will be a lovely little addition to the collection.
I'm playing it for the first time at the moment. Just got to the bridge as it turns to autumn. I don't quite get the hype with this game. The story isn't really compelling? There's not much going on or explored and I've played for over 10 hours. The visuals are great and the combat is fun.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeh man, the setting and atmosphere is super absorbing as well. Sort of wish the objectives were clearer mind. Played for 4 hours last night with a very sound American German stoner last night that said his cousin is Tessa Thompson ! It was lit.
:lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm playing it for the first time at the moment. Just got to the bridge as it turns to autumn. I don't quite get the hype with this game. The story isn't really compelling? There's not much going on or explored and I've played for over 10 hours. The visuals are great and the combat is fun.
For me its one of the best ever video game stories. Albeit thats a low bar as generally story telling in games isnt great

I also found the game pretty unnerving and scary far more than any Resident Evil game for example.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
feck me Helldivers is insanely good, Sony absolutely smashed the feck out of it with this one
I’ve never really been into online gaming but this looks really cool. Do you this is a game which might lose steam a year from now and hence would be hard to play / team up with people online on?

caid

I’ve never really been into online gaming but this looks really cool. Do you this is a game which might lose steam a year from now and hence would be hard to play / team up with people online on?
Most publishers have gotten better at dealing with low populations in games like this. It would need to bomb spectacularly to be seriously hurt by it. Seems way too popular to be an issue in this case.
Probably more fun to be playing it at the same time as the wider community though regardless.

amolbhatia50k

Most publishers have gotten better at dealing with low populations in games like this. It would need to bomb spectacularly to be seriously hurt by it. Seems way too popular to be an issue in this case.
Probably more fun to be playing it at the same time as the wider community though regardless.
To be honest I’m always a couple of years behind in gaming which I quite like as it allows me to rely on PS plus or buy games at reasonable prices plus I always have a big backlog. As a great man once said, it just works.

Was just wondering how it would for the kind of game I don’t usually play (multiplayer) but one that does interest me. On a related note, I’ve been trying a bit of Deep Rock Galactic which I’d always heard good things about. 5-6 levels in and it’s been great fun. But I am very skeptical of multiplayer games as they tend to be very generic and “make online fun” esque as opposed to hand crafted quality - but let’s see how it goes.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Will check it out Afro! I’m on the ps still but it’s gathering dust as I’m supposed to be focusing to get my PhD done this year :nervous:
Ok good to know.... I'll tell you to get the feck off and study at regular intervals. Hmu when you get it!

Scratches that Battlefield itch ;)

M16Red

Looking at dragon dogma 2 from Currys 20% off. Just have FF16 to finish...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I remember seeing a leak about a new ps5 controller (basically just updated with better battery life I think). Did anything come of that?

amolbhatia50k

I remember seeing a leak about a new ps5 controller (basically just updated with better battery life I think). Did anything come of that?
There’s a Dual Sense Edge controller which is a more advanced version of the base controller. But it’s obscenely priced - 3 times the already expensive Dual Sense. I love the Dual Sense - it’s the most next console feature we’ve seen for ages but I’m not paying that much.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
There’s a Dual Sense Edge controller which is a more advanced version of the base controller. But it’s obscenely priced - 3 times the already expensive Dual Sense. I love the Dual Sense - it’s the most next console feature we’ve seen for ages but I’m not paying that much.
Think a store put it on their site in January of a regular dual sense but a V2 or something. Nothing more.

I've looked at the dual sense edges tbh, but reckon I don't play multiplayer games enough to make that worth it for me. I'd like to have a hold of one to see the build quality though.

Only asking because I stood on my controller a while back and now it doesn't work as it should, it's like either R1 or r2 is always pushed and I need to fiddle to unpush it.

amolbhatia50k

Think a store put it on their site in January of a regular dual sense but a V2 or something. Nothing more.

I've looked at the dual sense edges tbh, but reckon I don't play multiplayer games enough to make that worth it for me. I'd like to have a hold of one to see the build quality though.

Only asking because I stood on my controller a while back and now it doesn't work as it should, it's like either R1 or r2 is always pushed and I need to fiddle to unpush it.
Sorry but :lol:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I don't think buying a more expensive controller is the right answer for you.

Moby

Dick
Sorry for a little offtopic question but looking to start a new game but feel like I might wanna wait a bit before buying this. The games I loved previously are Yakuza LAD, FF7 Remake and Persona 5 Royal (pretty much my all time favourite game) so clearly a sucker for turn based combat. Any suggestions?
Anyone?

caid

No I missed that while it was on PS4, and I was actually trying to find the ps5 version yesterday but couldn't find it for ps5 on the store?
Dont think they released a remaster.
For turn based combat its very different but XCom is great. I liked Wargroove a lot which i think is the same developers as Advanced Wars if you played that. Theres a lot of great old jrpg's - older final fantasy's. Replayed chrono trigger recently and it holds up really well.
Baldurs Gate 3?

Moby

Dick
Dont think they released a remaster.
For turn based combat its very different but XCom is great. I liked Wargroove a lot which i think is the same developers as Advanced Wars if you played that. Theres a lot of great old jrpg's - older final fantasy's. Replayed chrono trigger recently and it holds up really well.
Baldurs Gate 3?
Thanks for those suggestions. I forgot there's also Like A Drafon Infinite Wealth that I can go for.

BG3 I ignored as I'm not a huge DnD guy.

caid

Thanks for those suggestions. I forgot there's also Like A Drafon Infinite Wealth that I can go for.

You should play BG3 to be honest. It felt like the clear Game of the Year in a pretty strong year.

Balljy

If you're on Extra Dragon Quest XI sounds like the sort of game you'd like. It's a pretty traditional RPG but was enjoyable for me.

Moby

Dick
You should play BG3 to be honest. It felt like the clear Game of the Year in a pretty strong year.
Yeah i understand why it would be great, but I guess if I'm paying for a new game now I'd rather go Yakuza or FF7 given I've played and loved their prequels. But yeah will think about that.

If you're on Extra Dragon Quest XI sounds like the sort of game you'd like. It's a pretty traditional RPG but was enjoyable for me.
That's an interesting shout. Looks like something I was looking for. Thanks.

pacifictheme

Yeah i understand why it would be great, but I guess if I'm paying for a new game now I'd rather go Yakuza or FF7 given I've played and loved their prequels. But yeah will think about that.

That's an interesting shout. Looks like something I was looking for. Thanks.
Just as a counter point dragon quest is a very simple jrpg, genuinely one of the least enjoyable I have ever played. I would recommend Yakuza or rebirth over it. In fact I would recommend almost any game over it.

@Moby adding an edit here as I have back read to see you are after some turn based games. Better jrpgs than dq11 from last year I played on ps5 were octopath traveller 2 and chained echoes. Both retro in style but both pretty great and chained echoes at least is pretty cheap. Loved them both, would have ot2 as my game of the year, even over bg3, which is a great game.

Last edited: