PL's best midfielders

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In a highlights package Gerrard is spectacular. But if I am watching him week in week out he's too adventurous in his play as a CM. Trying ridiculous shots and audacious passes giving up possession needlessly. Would and did my head in especially for England. I've always been more of a Scholes and Lampard type of guy. As a kid Scholes never stood out for me but the more I understood about the game the more I took notice of what he was doing, exceptional footballing brain, hard stumped to find a better English CM in that mould.
Gerrard's 08/09 season was really good from a week to week perspective.

And England's team was ruined by stupid managers. Why on earth so many persisted with Gerrard/Lampard, I'll never know.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Youve got it there hed have gotten all the plaudits. For what. He isnt on the level of the two mids pep had to get those plaudits.
So why oh why if he was so good didnt he get any votes.
I'm not sure why you keep repeating the same Xavi and Iniesta argument. It's not hard to understand, once Pep started to dominate with Barca, passing midfielders/tempo controllers were recognized at higher level than before, especially in England. If you want a simple example, just look at how Chelsea fans cream their pants watching half decent Jorginho.

I don't know why he didn't get any votes but Scholes not being nominated was just wrong.

Henry never won the Balon d'or, Owen did. No one who has bit of sense would argue Owen was better than Henry.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

And England's team was ruined by stupid managers. Why on earth so many persisted with Gerrard/Lampard, I'll never know.
Because the whole team isnt on scholes level? It's really hard to be a metronome when the other 10 isnt in your wavelenght.

Gerrard for all his shortcoming is more effective for a blunt team

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The one I can't believe anyone would go with, outside of Chelsea fans is Lampard.
Well now why would that be so outrageous? He showed up in the biggest of matches in the PL and CL, almost never had bad games, put incredible number of assists and goals, put up good defence whenever that was required of him etc; won everything at the club level, multiple league titles.

Posts like this make me want to proclaim Lampard as the greatest of all time.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Then why was he not nominated once.
Keane
Lampard
Gerrard
Toure
Silva
Kante
Heck nearly every one mentioned on this thread has been except him. Doesnt add up to the post retirement myth hes become.
He was actually nominated five times (2000, 01, 03, 04, 07) but never received any votes.

Scholes's longevity and versatility, not to mention his habit of improving every player around him in a red shirt, are big reasons why he's lauded by former United players and managers as well as the fans. If you prefer Lampard or Gerrard that's fine by me, they were both great players, but if you're coming on here talking about no-one giving a shit about Scholes as a player or the 'myth' of Scholes don't be surprised if people push back.

roonster09

Scout

Some Italian manager should have managed that team, would have gone with 4-3-1-2 formation. Would have been very unpopular move too.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure why you keep repeating the same Xavi and Iniesta argument. It's not hard to understand, once Pep started to dominate with Barca, passing midfielders/tempo controllers were recognized at higher level than before, especially in England. If you want a simple example, just look at how Chelsea fans cream their pants watching half decent Jorginho.

I don't know why he didn't get any votes but Scholes not being nominated was just wrong.

Henry never won the Balon d'or, Owen did. No one who has bit of sense would argue Owen was better than Henry.
Funny that going through the balon dor voting. Its not even winners.
Keane best finish 6th
Beckham 2nd
Lampard 2nd
Gerrard 3rd
Kante 8th
Toure 12th
From what i can find he made the top 23 once and finished joint last with 0 votes.
All the players above have multiple finishes and votes and its not even a pl bias as owen rooney shearer vardy mahrez etc have respectable finishes
So how come the voting doesnt back what you say but backs my post retirement myth.
We can do pl poty or tots and im sure id find similar results.
Controlling mids werent made in 08.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The real stat isn't how many goals or assists you can collect but how many league titles you can win. Paul Scholes has 11 premier league titles, the majority of which he was starting in central midfield most games. Not sure why this is so often overlooked in the Gerrard vs Lampard vs Scholes debate.
Oh it was everyone else that was great and he wasn't the star player remember.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Well now why would that be so outrageous? He showed up in the biggest of matches in the PL and CL, almost never had bad games, put incredible number of assists and goals, put up good defence whenever that was required of him etc; won everything at the club level, multiple league titles.

Take off his penalties and deflections and he never scored a goal :wenger:

I'll admit I used to have Scholes-Gerrard--------------------(many dashes later) Lampard, I honestly thought he was a tidy penalty merchant and nothing more. Having gotten a clue towards the end of his playing career I respect how close it is between the three, with the final verdict mainly coming down to club affiliation and personal preference.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Keane best finish 6th
Beckham 2nd
Lampard 2nd
Gerrard 3rd
Kante 8th
Toure 12th
From what i can find he made the top 23 once and finished joint last with 0 votes.
All the players above have multiple finishes and votes and its not even a pl bias as owen rooney shearer vardy mahrez etc have respectable finishes
So how come the voting doesnt back what you say but backs my post retirement myth.
Was Lampard ever the second best player in the world?

Of course not, is the very obvious answer.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He was actually nominated five times (2000, 01, 03, 04, 07) but never received any votes.

Scholes's longevity and versatility, not to mention his habit of improving every player around him in a red shirt, are big reasons why he's lauded by former United players and managers as well as the fans. If you prefer Lampard or Gerrard that's fine by me, they were both great players, but if you're coming on here talking about no-one giving a shit about Scholes as a player or the 'myth' of Scholes don't be surprised if people push back.
Can only find one nomination 01 finished last with no votes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

You can do what you like, but it doesn't make it anything bar silly.

roonster09

Scout
Keane best finish 6th
Beckham 2nd
Lampard 2nd
Gerrard 3rd
Kante 8th
Toure 12th
One more point without even understanding the point made, well done.

You crying about Balon d'or changes nothing, just like how Owen winning 1 more than Henry means nothing.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
In a highlights package Gerrard is spectacular. But if I am watching him week in week out he's too adventurous in his play as a CM. Trying ridiculous shots and audacious passes giving up possession needlessly. Would and did my head in especially for England. I've always been more of a Scholes and Lampard type of guy. As a kid Scholes never stood out for me but the more I understood about the game the more I took notice of what he was doing, exceptional footballing brain, hard stumped to find a better English CM in that mould.
That probably cost him a league title to be honest. After he slipped and Demba Ba scored, he went rogue and started taking all kinds of wild shots. It was 1-0 until 90th minute and a draw would have been enough, if I recall. Fabulous player nonetheless, and coming out swinging wild worked for him many times in the past.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
One more point without even understanding the point made, well done.

You crying about Balon d'or changes nothing, just like how Owen winning 1 more than Henry means nothing.
Hilarious. Of course it doesnt. Just that it proves my point that when he was playing his fans peers pundits etc failed to see this amazing player and vote accordingly. Funny how he seems to be the only player in history with so much disrespect.

Classical Mechanic

Was Lampard ever the second best player in the world?

Of course not, is the very obvious answer.
In the year he came second it wasn't that much of a controversial choice. He got 29 goals and assists in the PL when Chelsea were pretty awesome and got 4 goals and 1 assist in CL knockout ties against Barcelona and Bayern. Chelsea were at the very highest level and he was arguably their best player.

roonster09

Scout
Hilarious. Of course it doesnt. Just that it proves my point that when he was playing his fans peers pundits etc failed to see this amazing player and vote accordingly. Funny how he seems to be the only player in history with so much disrespect.
it just proves that you are clueless and it shows in every post (clutching at Balon d'or stats when you can't even use it consistently to tell Owen > Henry). Using nonsense, hilarious in every post make you sound like a desperate kid.

Who cares what those pundits saw or didn't see, if you want to hear what his peers thought then listen to what Henry said on MNF when he was asked direct question. Greatest manager in the world saw him as the key player and played him for years, even asked him to come back from retirement. Who even cares about pundit's opinion.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Because the whole team isnt on scholes level? It's really hard to be a metronome when the other 10 isnt in your wavelenght.

Gerrard for all his shortcoming is more effective for a blunt team
It's not about the qualities of Gerrard or Lampard... Either of them plus a different kind of midfielder (forget Scholes/Carrick, probably Hargreaves or Gareth fecking Barry) would have worked much better.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's not about the qualities of Gerrard or Lampard... Either of them plus a different kind of midfielder (forget Scholes/Carrick, probably Hargreaves or Gareth fecking Barry) would have worked much better.
Could have? perhaps. My only point was that i can see how choosing gerrard over scholes in understandable because Scholes needs a good teammate to shine whereas gerrard on his day can be that shining beacon (although he always fails when it counts)

Can you imagine Scholes pinging pass with emile heskey, garreth bary, and jermaine pennant?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
it just proves that you are clueless and it shows in every post (clutching at Balon d'or stats when you can't even use it consistently to tell Owen > Henry). Using nonsense, hilarious in every post make you sound like a desperate kid.

Who cares what those pundits saw or didn't see, if you want to hear what his peers thought then listen to what Henry said on MNF when he was asked direct question.
I can use it consistently. The only kid here is you with the owen henry remark. That was one season. How many finished with henry above owen ? Im not even arguing 1st place finishes as they can be controversial. But if you have a good year 99% of the time its recognised.
Its a valid point. Even one season wonders have had votes. But this midfield god has gone through his whole career without a single one.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Take off his penalties and deflections and he never scored a goal :wenger:

I'll admit I used to have Scholes-Gerrard--------------------(many dashes later) Lampard, I honestly thought he was a tidy penalty merchant and nothing more. Having gotten a clue towards the end of his playing career I respect how close it is between the three, with the final verdict mainly coming down to club affiliation and personal preference.
Personally Lampard is my favourite player of all time, so it's hard for me to clear the bias. Even so I can see an argument being made for Scholes. Perhaps Gerrard and Lampard are more comparable, though. The England situation notwithstanding, I think we're lucky to have watched these three incredible players.

roonster09

Scout
I can use it consistently. The only kid here is you with the owen henry remark. That was one season. How many finished with henry above owen ? Im not even arguing 1st place finishes as they can be controversial. But if you have a good year 99% of the time its recognised.
Its a valid point. Even one season wonders have had votes. But this midfield god has gone through his whole career without a single one.
So are these one season wonders were better than Scholes as they had more Balon d'or votes?

You finally got the point.

roonster09

Scout
Personally Lampard is my favourite player of all time, so it's hard for me to clear the bias. Even so I can see an argument being made for Scholes. Perhaps Gerrard and Lampard are more comparable, though. The England situation notwithstanding, I think we're lucky to have watched these three incredible players.
At least we have sensible Chelsea fans, unlike the other lunatic who just can't stop crying and being so emotional just because Lampard wasn't declared as GOAT.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
So are these one season wonders were better than Scholes as they had more Balon d'or votes?

You finally got the point.
In that year that they were voted in yes.
This is hilarious. You have no answer why hes not got the standing in the footballing world when he was playing. Youve not made a single point to explain why.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
At least we have sensible Chelsea fans, unlike the other lunatic who just can't stop crying and being so emotional just because Lampard wasn't declared as GOAT.
Not mentioned lampard being the goat. Or any nonsense like that. Though he did finish second and was recognised in the pl toty as well as by Chelsea fans etc.

roonster09

Scout
In that year that they were voted in yes.
This is hilarious. You have no answer why hes not got the standing in the footballing world when he was playing. Youve not made a single point to explain why.
Isn't that not self explanatory? If someone is thick as pig shit it isn't. Not sure if you are btw, just saying in general.

Amazing how the very first post or reply was on that and you came full circle asking same question.

For you Balon d'or is be all and end all, for me it isn't.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Nothing wrong with that at all. For me they're different styles of players who each had brilliant qualities.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Isn't that not self explanatory? If someone is thick as pig shit it isn't. Not sure if you are btw, just saying in general.

Amazing how the very first post or reply was on that and you came full circle asking same question.

For you Balon d'or is be all and end all, for me it isn't.
Again we can go to balon dor
Pl toty
Pl poty
Even man us feckin pots
And nothing favours scholes.

roonster09

Scout
FWA footballer of the year - Vardy 1 - Aguero 0
Parker 1 - Vieira 0, David Silva 0, KdB 0,

Always knew Parker was better than Vieira, David Silva, KdB. His peers recognized him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
FWA footballer of the year - Vardy 1 - Aguero 0
Parker 1 - Vieira 0, David Silva 0, KdB 0,

Always knew Parker was better than Vieira, David Silva, KdB. His peers recognized him.
You're doing that thing again where youre making it all encompassing because youre talking shit. They are split by years. Vardys award was fully deserved.

roonster09

Scout
Again we can go to balon dor
Pl toty
Pl poty
Even man us feckin pots
And nothing favours scholes.
Of course he wasn't main man at ManUtd, we had fecking Cantona, Beckham, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Keane thoughout his career.

Smalling won ManUtd award, doesn't mean he was better.

Henry summed it up and what Scholes brings to the team.

roonster09

Scout
You're doing that thing again where youre making it all encompassing because youre talking shit. They are split by years. Vardys award was fully deserved.
No, you are just using awards as a measure of the player, Vieira was one of the best and arguable 2nd, 3rd best CM to play in PL. He never won the award. These players (Vieira, Aguero, KdB, Silva) dominated PL but never won the award, says all about the award. If we extend this to defenders, it will be even more hilarious.

Again posting shit, nonsense, hilarious doesn't change anything. You are just a wikitard.

At least there are Chelsea fans who see why there is a merit for each candidate and then we have shit posters like you, coming up with pile of garbage that it's so tedious to read.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Of course he wasn't main man at ManUtd, we had fecking Cantona, Beckham, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Keane thoughout his career.

Smalling won ManUtd award, doesn't mean he was better.

Henry summed it up and what Scholes brings to the team.
No, you are just using awards as a measure of the player, Vieira was one of the best and arguable 2nd, 3rd best CM to play in PL. He never won the award. These players (Vieira, Aguero, KdB, Silva) dominated PL but never won the award, says all about the award. If we extend this to defenders, it will be even more hilarious.

Again posting shit, nonsense, hilarious doesn't change anything. You are just a wikitard.
Viera even in his best years would have had henry or bergkamp in his own team. BUT he would easily be in arsenals top 3 performing players of said season.
Im glad youve bought up all those united players how far down do you have to go down a list of united players top performers in a season till you get to scholes. A long fecking while. He was never main man or even top 3.

roonster09

Scout
Viera even in his best years would have had henry or bergkamp in his own team. BUT he would easily be in arsenals top 3 performing players of said season.
Im glad youve bought up all those united players how far down do you have to go down a list of united players top performers in a season till you get to scholes. A long fecking while. He was never main man or even top 3.
:lol: fecking hell, Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney all didn't play together. They all played at different times. Even with every changing teams, he was main stay for years and had his position locked down in various roles. Shows all about the player. Scholes was never the best player in the league or ManUtd team but he was superb midfielder who controlled the game.

I dont even know why I'm arguing with wikitard who can't see anything but awards category in wiki.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: fecking hell, Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney all didn't play together. They all played at different times. Even with every changing teams, he was main stay for years and had his position locked down in various roles. Shows all about the player. Scholes was never the best player in the league or ManUtd team but he was superb midfielder who controlled the game.

I dont even know why I'm arguing with wikitard who can't see anything but awards category in wiki.
Thats the whole point. He was never uniteds best player or even in the top 3 during his career when they won. The players youre comparing him to won trophies as the best player or at worst top 3 in their side. This as well as the plaudits and acclaim they received in what ever award.

roonster09

Scout
Thats the whole point. He was never uniteds best player or even in the top 3 during his career when they won. The players youre comparing him to won trophies as the best player or at worst top 3 in their side. This as well as the plaudits and acclaim they received in what ever award.
So Scholes was never top 3 ManUtd player in his career? You come up with tripe like this and "no gave feck about Scholes when he was playing", it's hard to take you seriously. Sounds like a troll.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So no answer then? You aren't really contributing any insights into the discussion here.
No answer to what? Lampard being the 2nd best in the world one year, and being the best Premier league midfielder?

Genuinely there is no answer to that, as it's so wrong.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
So Scholes was never top 3 ManUtd player in his career? You come up with tripe like this and "no gave feck about Scholes when he was playing", it's hard to take you seriously. Sounds like a troll.
Was he ? Go through season by season and for most i guarantee he wouldnt be top 3 by consensus on this forum.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pretty sure the players that played with and against him recognised his genius.
There's enough well known players who have said so.