PL's best midfielders

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
No answer to what? Lampard being the 2nd best in the world one year, and being the best Premier league midfielder?

Genuinely there is no answer to that, as it's so wrong.
You got an answer from a united fan on that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You got an answer from a united fan on that.
I don't think he agreed with either. He just said he was in a strong Chelsea team and was arguably their best player that season.
That doesn't make him the 2nd best in Europe?

Do you think Michael Owen was ever the best in Europe?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was he ? Go through season by season and for most i guarantee he wouldnt be top 3 by consensus on this forum.
Go ahead and post it then.

Without even checking, 2002-03 he was our 2nd best player after RVN, the season when he played behind RVN.

There are posters who have argued Lampard as the greatest PL midfielder or better than Gerrard/Scholes. They at least made some points. When someone comes up with shit like "no one cared about Scholes while playing", it's hard to take that poster seriously. Juts because you are ignorant doesn't mean everyone is, especially on a ManUtd forum where most have watched his career.

roonster09

Scout
Pretty sure the players that played with and against him recognised his genius.
There's enough well known players who have said so.
I can at least see why some prefers Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes but when someone starts the argument with "no one gave feck about Scholes while he was playing" it's obvious what kind of poster that person is. Either a troll or thick as pig shit.

Henry on MNF named Scholes as the player they targeted to stop when Arsenal played ManUtd, saying he was making the team tick. Since these Chelsea guys can't think beyond goals, assists obviously they think he was another Cleverley.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Go ahead and post it then.

Without even checking, 2002-03 he was our 2nd best player after RVN, the season when he played behind RVN.

There are posters who have argued Lampard as the greatest PL midfielder or better than Gerrard/Scholes. They at least made some points. When someone comes up with shit like "no one cared about Scholes while playing", it's hard to take that poster seriously. Juts because you are ignorant doesn't mean everyone is, especially on a ManUtd forum where most have watched his career.
Well 0 votes kinda points to no one cares im afraid.
So one season in his own career you say he was 2nd not even the best player at his club. And this is supposed to put him on another level to lampard and gerrard.

roonster09

Scout
Btw anyone have the list of football players who answer the 'Scholes vs Lampard vs Gerrard" directly? Without the genetic bs like "Player x was unbelievably good".

I have seen Deco, Kroos, Henry, Dyer answering the questions with everyone picking Scholes (not by their own teammates btw).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can at least see why some prefers Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes but when someone starts the argument with "no one gave feck about Scholes while he was playing" it's obvious what kind of poster that person is. Either a troll or thick as pig shit.

Henry on MNF named Scholes as the player they targeted to stop when Arsenal played ManUtd, saying he was making the team tick. Since these Chelsea guys can't think beyond goals, assists obviously they think he was another Cleverley.
I think their logic is that because they never noticed him as being a special player, he couldn't have been.

We're all United fans of course, but we have no real reason to be biased in this sort of debate. What is to be gained from it?
We've had 100s of players represent us and retire, why make such a case for one of them if there's nothing in it?

roonster09

Scout
Well 0 votes kinda points to no one cares im afraid.
So one season in his own career you say he was 2nd not even the best player at his club. And this is supposed to put him on another level to lampard and gerrard.
One more argument pulled out of your arse.

Bold part, :lol: knew i was dealing with a troll.

roonster09

Scout
I think their logic is that because they never noticed him as being a special player, he couldn't have been.

We're all United fans of course, but we have no real reason to be biased in this sort of debate. What is to be gained from it?
We've had 100s of players represent us and retire, why make such a case for one of them if there's nothing in it?
I don't know why we even care about the player who no one gave a feck about when he was playing.

There are some awful posters on caf, but this guy looks like the king of them.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know why we even care about the player who no one gave a feck about when he was playing.

There are some awful posters on caf, but this guy looks like the king of them.
Of course. All youve done is insult without having a response to why scholes had 0 recognition during his playing career.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Loads of great players don't get recognition. Pirlo only came to the spotlight really towards the end of his career. Riquelme as well.

roonster09

Scout
Of course. All youve done is insult without having a response to why scholes had 0 recognition during his playing career.
I can’t help if you are too ignorant to read and busy searching awards on Wiki.

anyways wasted too much time on this shit argument when you can’t look beyond ‘awards’ or think no one gave feck about Scholes. The fact that you repeated multiple times shows you are either a troll or thick as pig shit poster or just a wikitard.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Btw anyone have the list of football players who answer the 'Scholes vs Lampard vs Gerrard" directly? Without the genetic bs like "Player x was unbelievably good".

I have seen Deco, Kroos, Henry, Dyer answering the questions with everyone picking Scholes (not by their own teammates btw).
MotD team picks an all-time Premier League XI. The midfield discussion starts at 15:30, I thought that it was worth a watch, although they've ended up with the worst midfield pair possible :lol:

Danny Murphy — Gerrard & Scholes
Ian Wright — Gerrard & Lampard
Alan Shearer — Vieira & Lampard

You can count the votes yourself :lol:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Loads of great players don't get recognition. Pirlo only came to the spotlight really towards the end of his career. Riquelme as well.
What. Pirlo was motm in the world cup final wasnt he. Won cls before and after that. Had a great mini revive at juve and was great for italy in euro 2012.

koop

"its no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.” – Zinedine Zidane

“I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.” – Luis Figo

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” –Xavi Hernandez

“At Arsenal me and Patrick (Vieira) didn’t want to face Scholes. We would avoid him.” – Emmanuel Petit

“When he passes the ball it stays passed. The ball goes exactly where he wants it to. I have always loved him for that. I played against him once or twice and he is an absolute genius. He is a role model for anyone who wants to play football. He is a joy to watch. In fact, I wish he was 21, then I could see his career all over again.” – Ian Holloway

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball, always turning on goal. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.” – Sir Bobby Charlton

“He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.” –David Beckham

“Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength and he is a genuine competitor.” – Thierry Henry

“I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?” – Ronaldinho

“He’s the phenomenon.” – Ronaldo – 'El Fenomeno'

When Zinedine Zidane once asked in an interview, “What does it feel like to be the best player in the world?” The Frenchman replied, “I don’t know, ask Paul Scholes”

roonster09

Scout
MotD team picks an all-time Premier League XI. The midfield discussion starts at 15:30, I thought that it was worth a watch, although they've ended up with the worst midfield pair possible :lol:

Danny Murphy — Gerrard & Scholes
Ian Wright — Gerrard & Lampard
Alan Shearer — Vieira & Lampard

You can count the votes yourself :lol:
All time PL 11 without Keane? :nono:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I can’t help if you are too ignorant to read and busy searching awards on Wiki.

anyways wasted too much time on this shit argument when you can’t look beyond ‘awards’ or think no one gave feck about Scholes. The fact that you repeated multiple times shows you are either a troll or thick as pig shit poster or just a wikitard.
Yawn. More insults 0 points made as per.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What. Pirlo was motm in the world cup final wasnt he. Won cls before and after that. Had a great mini revive at juve and was great for italy in euro 2012.
For the average fan I feel like he only came to the forefront after he left Milan.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
For the average fan I feel like he only came to the forefront after he left Milan.
Dont think so. Whilst he did fade out during the end of his time there him and gattuso as a pair were recognised.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
For the quality of posts, those are like praising you.
Nope. Its just you dont have any points to make at how scholes has become massively overrated since he retired so youve spat your dummy out.

Davìd Moyéz

For how many was he the key player or even top 3 ?
Premier league winning sides don't often have 1 key player. Maybe that's why Gerrard never won one.

Interested in your passionate stance against Scholes being considered a great. You have posted more than 20 times on it in this conversation alone. He has the most premier league medals of any player except for Giggs. Most United players and a high percentage of opposition players during his time consider him the best player they played with/against. Fair enough if you don't consider him the best but it's at least understandable that other people do surely?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Premier league winning sides don't often have 1 key player. Maybe that's why Gerrard never won one.

Interested in your passionate stance against Scholes being considered a great. You have posted more than 20 times on it in this conversation alone. He has the most premier league medals of any player except for Giggs. Most United players and a high percentage of opposition players during his time consider him the best player they played with/against. Fair enough if you don't consider him the best but it's at least understandable that other people do surely?
I admit ive used hyperbole on this thread and one chaps gone nuts. But its something ive never understood. Yes he was a good player but since hes retired his status has increased out of the blue where ive seen him countless times on other threads put up there with far greater players like zidane xavi etc and its an insult to mention the likes of frank or gerrard in the same breath.
Agreed they dont but surely you need to be at least top 3. This isnt even a united bias from me as i probably have keane at the top of my list as for about a period of 4/5 years (when i think he was made captain) he was consistently a force.
Im just trying to understand where its all come from because when he was playing the acclaim clearly wasnt there.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Could have? perhaps. My only point was that i can see how choosing gerrard over scholes in understandable because Scholes needs a good teammate to shine whereas gerrard on his day can be that shining beacon (although he always fails when it counts)

Can you imagine Scholes pinging pass with emile heskey, garreth bary, and jermaine pennant?
If that's your point, then I see where you are coming from (although Scholes was a one man conductor from deep at times), he would be blunted by having less quality around him.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Gerrard and Lampard, my two favourite midfielders of all time in the PL.

Gerrard is the reason I started supporting Liverpool.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No, he was seen as one of the best midfielders in the world for quite some time, which peaked with his 2006 World Cup performance. He was considered past it at some point though, which is why his revival at Juventus got so much hype — it turns out that he can still decide games at the highest level if you just have enough trust in him.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
unfortunately he (Scholes got zero votes) which is the main purpose.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...rd-looking-at-their-ballon-dor-votes-20190530
Even worse when its spelled out like that.
No, he was seen as one of the best midfielders in the world for quite some time, which peaked with his 2006 World Cup performance. He was considered past it at some point though, which is why his revival at Juventus got so much hype — it turns out that he can still decide games at the highest level if you just have enough trust in him.
Yeah fully agreed. Its the fact he was basically cast out by milan. But then juve got him on a free and he ran the show.

TheReligion

Abusive
"its no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.” – Zinedine Zidane

“I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.” – Luis Figo

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” –Xavi Hernandez

“At Arsenal me and Patrick (Vieira) didn’t want to face Scholes. We would avoid him.” – Emmanuel Petit

“When he passes the ball it stays passed. The ball goes exactly where he wants it to. I have always loved him for that. I played against him once or twice and he is an absolute genius. He is a role model for anyone who wants to play football. He is a joy to watch. In fact, I wish he was 21, then I could see his career all over again.” – Ian Holloway

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball, always turning on goal. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.” – Sir Bobby Charlton

“He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.” –David Beckham

“Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength and he is a genuine competitor.” – Thierry Henry

“I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?” – Ronaldinho

“He’s the phenomenon.” – Ronaldo – 'El Fenomeno'

When Zinedine Zidane once asked in an interview, “What does it feel like to be the best player in the world?” The Frenchman replied, “I don’t know, ask Paul Scholes”
@Pow

TheReligion

Abusive
What's he got to do with it? You made a comment saying that Scholes wasn't recognised by his peers suggesting it was because he wasn't all that good.. just wondered what you thought of all those quotes and comments?

Essentially Scholes retiring from International football probably hurt him for formal recognition. That said it prolonged his club career and he went on to achieve more than Gerrard and Lampard in his twilight years.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
What's he got to do with it? You made a comment saying that Scholes wasn't recognised by his peers suggesting it was because he wasn't all that good.. just wondered what you thought of all those quotes and comments?

Essentially Scholes retiring from International football probably hurt him for formal recognition. That said it prolonged his club career and he went on to achieve more than Gerrard and Lampard in his twilight years.
That those quotes are irrelevant. You can do a two second google search and get it for any player.
Im not arsed what people say after hes retired. When it came down to sorting out in the best players of the club the season the world he was glaringly consistently missing.

DanClancy

Neither Gerrard or Lampard could dictate the pace of the game which is odd for so called top class midfielders. Keane, Scholes & Vieira all could.

TheReligion

Abusive
That those quotes are irrelevant. You can do a two second google search and get it for any player.
Im not arsed what people say after hes retired. When it came down to sorting out in the best players of the club the season the world he was glaringly consistently missing.
I don't think you grasp what I'm asking. You specifically said Scholes wasn't recognised by his peers. The quotes show he was so they aren't irrelevant are they?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Lampard had pretty incredible campaigns in the CL. He's actually one of the few players that Iniesta/Xavi didn't dominate. He lost two games to Barca; one was the Drogba red card in the Camp Nou and the other was the one where long-haired young Messi had Del Horno sent off, where Deco and Motta started. Even in 2012 he was responsible for both of our crucial goals - the Drogba goal at the Bridge and Ramires goal when we were up against the ropes in the Camp Nou. From '04 - '12, I think 6 semi finals including 2 finals one of which was a win is exceptionally good!

If we're gonna talk about luck, then an English side should be holding the '09 CL and also the 2 Scholes CLs required a miraculous injury time equaliser/winner and a famous slip for a penalty that would have won it for the other team! The Gerrard one required for a Milan team that totally destroyed them in the first half have to switch off for about 6 minutes, including Gerrard himself getting mercilessly turned for the second goal by Kaka, and a phantom goal in the semi final. I think the recent domination of Ronaldo and Madrid made the CL seem easier to win than it really is.
I'm not sure what your post is really getting at. That Lampard was a terrific player is beyond question. The post I quoted however made it out to be that Gerrard and Lampard were in fact two dominant forces of European football, which Scholes and Keane never were. Which is just daft. Holding on in a game against Barcelona doesn't make you dominant European players. It actually makes those players dominant given surviving against them was an achievement.

To be honest this is the first time I'm hearing this argument about these two, clearly terrific players, being a step above in the global game. I really do wonder how we became one of the dominant football teams in the world with lesser CMs like Scholes and Keane running the show.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think you grasp what I'm asking. You specifically said Scholes wasn't recognised by his peers. The quotes show he was so they aren't irrelevant are they?
You dont grasp what im saying.
His peers didnt vote for him when they could have. His fans didnt. The pfa didnt. Neither did the journalists.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Neither Gerrard or Lampard could dictate the pace of the game which is odd for so called top class midfielders. Keane, Scholes & Vieira all could.
Which is why there's so much talk about goals and assist in this thread ignoring that footballers, shock horror, can be different.