g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
should have been banned ages ago its an obvious wum
It’s not even a wum, it’s just a bit of a sad guy who has found a way to get attention.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Funny how that's been said about City, Arsenal and Spurs when they've played us this season. If only there were a common denominator to explain why that happened... :houllier:

We've had no problems showing up against the top teams and playing some good football in those games. It's mostly just the low-block park-the-bus teams that are causing us big problems in attack but on multiple occasions we've looked very competent in the big games.
Hence the reason why despite those good performances, your still mid table, because 2/3 of the league is made up of them.
But I believe you are too good / rich to not solve that issue down the line. You’ll be a big danger in the next couple of seasons.

ti vu

not sure what I said that prompted this response. Just agreed with a post that anyone with eyes can see is the truth.

It’s also not lowering expectation: it’s seeing the bigger picture. Winning trophies over a sustained period isn’t possible when you’ve not got the fundamentals right. You don’t actually compete for anything significant. And a few lucky draws could end with you winning a cup and then immediately falling off a cliff.
And I’m sorry but not having this ‘excusing the crap football on a lack of a smooth transition from one manager to a next or needing 20 transfer windows’.
How many times do United fans want to use this excuse despite seeing so many example of other clubs and new managers having near instant impact. Villa went from being absolutely nothing to what they are under Emery. Spurs went from three managers playing low block/low risk defensive football to hiring Ange and immediately playing a high transition, high press and high risk game.
Why is it only at Man United a manager can’t implement a style ? Why is it always a man United he needs 17 transfer windows and a good manager before him to do it? Maybe just maybe we just keep hiring the wrong managers….
Your post even this one implied that Poch has a great end game same as Klopp that we can play the long waiting game, ad reap the result. In the reality, Poch is not Klopp. He himself is the one who try to lower the expectation even those, his teams are in favor position and expected to win trophies to show for their work. He missed canches and waste prime years of players, and back into rebuild. The same thing as what you described here: not actually compete for anything.

Did Aston Villa plan their squad building specific for Emery? Or they build most of their squad regardless of the manager, even if it were Stevie fecking Me? Newcastle poached Emery before they settled for Eddie Howe the previous season. Quite risky move if they build foundation for a specific manager, only to have another rival poaching their first choice manager right!?

Paratici who had a lot of influence on the squad they now assemble. He maybe suspect with his manager pick, but he has always been highly rated in identifying talents especially eyes for Italian market which Spurs improved since his tenure there. Why do you think Vicario picked up by Spurs where as Chelsea, Arsenal, Inter Milan all hunted for a top choice GK? You think it's Ange work? What about Udogie? Or it's clear it's Paratici's note was used even after he left. Spurs best players happened to be those that is more adaptable type of players, whereas our key players are also previous go to guys that hinder any drastic change.

David Moyes very quickly turned us into Everton. LVG and Mourinho also quickly stamped their style on us. Mourinho to Oleball was quick transitioning in style. Almost seamless. The issue with Ole is misleading promise. He doesn't have ability to adapt yet he promised to make us a front foot team and in this age it means possession based football with high pressing.

Mourinho and Conte failed to imprint their different method to build a solid defense for Spurs due to the soft belly identity persist in their squad. Their play may look negative but they lack the discipline to truly get the result off. Ange clearly benefit from new manager bounce and looks like it's back to earth for them last game. Wolves pretty much replicated their opening game against us where they ceded possession yet broke through Spurs and dominating in shots and corners. Spurs high line got pushed back further than they wanted due to unavailability of key defenders, and paid for it this game. Can Ange football sustain, and him get to keep the job if they eventually fall back to mid table? Then on what basis, they would bank their future on that Ange is the guy long term? Would anyone dare to bet their house on Spurs finishing in top 4 now after last two defeats and two key players out until new year? It's not rare that we see this kind of thing play out. Scolari Chelsea had a flying start with champagne football too and he couldn't last a full season.

Last edited:

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Don't want to get into any comparisons but I'd take United struggling in the table if it meant guaranteed entertaining and attacking football. Chelsea may be starting to get that with Poch?
Had that since the start of the season, dominated the play against almost every opponent...and we're still 10th. The ride is enjoyable though

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Hence the reason why despite those good performances, your still mid table, because 2/3 of the league is made up of them.
But I believe you are too good / rich to not solve that issue down the line. You’ll be a big danger in the next couple of seasons.
Yeah, that's definitely played a huge part in our league position though based on the actual performances I'd still say we've been a bit unlucky not to have at least 5 points more at this point.

But yeah overall I'm not too worried. It's still a relatively new team playing under a manager who's not had the time to fully make his mark yet so a bit of inconsistent form is to be expected. The lads just need time to gel and develop together but I think eventually we'll come good. Might even be as early as next season but that remains to be seen.

The Purley King

Yeah, that's definitely played a huge part in our league position though based on the actual performances I'd still say we've been a bit unlucky not to have at least 5 points more at this point.

But yeah overall I'm not too worried. It's still a relatively new team playing under a manager who's not had the time to fully make his mark yet so a bit of inconsistent form is to be expected. The lads just need time to gel and develop together but I think eventually we'll come good. Might even be as early as next season but that remains to be seen.
Too many good/excellent raw materials for a semi decent manager to fail with.
Us on the other hand…… I’m not sure we measure up very well.

Grande

I don’t think nice ever seen anyone try and spin their 1b transfer shit show as some kind of vision journey when they’ve had 4 managers in two season while sacking their back room staff, hiring more and then sacking most of them.
It’s like people talk in cliches here or simply make stuff up
Is this another dig at Sir Jim?

Redstain

Chelsea have ‘schooled’ Liverpool 1-1, Arsenal 2-2, and City 4-4. Granted they beat Spurs but they’re hardly a ‘top team’ even if their manager is hipster flavour of the month.

Is that the Thomas “we smashed them 1-0 in the first half” Frank school of delusion?
What am I missing?
To be fair it's pretty good results given the circumstances and drastic changes in the team and the manager. They were 100% losing those fixtures last season. Playing well is the only foundation to consistency it's how they build from this but only Klopp and Pep have had a better run-in at competitive clubs in the league compared to Poch. His opening three / four seasons at Spurs has also eclipsed any United manager post SAF.

Not relative to you or the post but there is a bitterness on the forums when it comes to other managers having breakout seasons for some strange reason. Many hoping for the demise of Ange for example and the same was said in parts with Arteta last season before Arsenal seemingly couldn't stop winning games. Just because another manager does well at another club it doesn't undermine the clubs (United) current manager. It's perfectly plausible to rate other managers while proceeding with our own.

croadyman

They're starting to look really good under him. The underlying stats show that they are performing well and should be near the top if they were a bit sharper and luckier. Results will follow. Top coach, wish we'd gone for him.
Shame those clowns Murtough & Arnold never asked Pochettino at interview which manager he would love to have played for. That answer might have swung things in his favour

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They're starting to look really good under him. The underlying stats show that they are performing well and should be near the top if they were a bit sharper and luckier. Results will follow. Top coach, wish we'd gone for him.
Easy to say now they’re doing well… where was these comments at the start of the season? Also look where they are in the league and look where we are…

gajender

Their underlying stats on game to game basis show them just marginally edging teams in some of the games , only game which they can have genuine grievance of losing points is against Forest . When most of your games are so close its not a surprise you end up dropping points .

Last edited:

Jev

Their underlying stats on game to game basis show them just marginally edging teams in some of the games , only game where they can have genuine grievance of losing points is against Forest . When your most games are so close its not a surprise you end up dropping points .
If we're going that deep, the stats suggest they could have easily beaten Liverpool and Arsenal, could have had a point at West Ham, should have beaten Forest, and should have had a point against Villa. That's nine points, which would put them near the top. In fact the result hasn't swung their way once in even games, which is very unusual and statistically unlike to continue much longer.

Compare that to our stats, which show (as does the eye test) that we're very lucky to have the points that we have, and it's evident that Chelsea have been playing better than their position in the table might have you believe. Which was all I said.

Laurencio

Their underlying stats on game to game basis show them just marginally edging teams in some of the games , only game which they can have genuine grievance of losing points is against Forest . When most of your games are so close its not a surprise you end up dropping points .
The stats don't tell you everything then. In most of their games, Chelsea would have won comfortably with a striker who has good movement and isn't afraid to shoot. Stick Victor Osimhen in there, which I think they will be doing shortly, and that team wins most of their matches.

gajender

If we're going that deep, the stats suggest they could have easily beaten Liverpool and Arsenal, could have had a point at West Ham, should have beaten Forest, could have had a point against Villa. That's nine points, which would put them near the top. In fact the result hasn't swung their way once in even games, which is very unusual and statistically unlike to continue much longer.

Compare that to our stats, which show (as does the eye test) that we're very lucky to have the points that we have, and it's evident that Chelsea have been playing better than their position in the table might have you believe. Which was all I said.
Why the hell you are even bringing United when the Quoted post was just about Chelsea and my point was fairly simple when your performances over your rivals in terms of even underlying stats is quite close chances are you would end dropping lot of points unless You are quite lucky like United were last season .

So to sum it up Chelsea are likely to improve going forward but they aren't suddenly gonna morph into top team any time soon this season unless they start being substantially better against teams outside top teams not just being marginally better otherwise the results you wrongly assume can't continue to happen would continue to happen .

Jev

Why the hell you are even bringing United when the Quoted post was just about Chelsea and my point was fairly simple when your performances over your rivals in terms of even underlying stats is quite close chances are you would end dropping lot of points unless You are quite lucky like United were last season .
Because I'm a United fan, we're on a United forum, and I generally view football through the context of United.

Last edited:

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea - Liverpool 1.93 - 1.30 xG
West Ham - Chelsea 1.71 - 1.61 xG
Chelsea - Forest 2.28 - 1.15 xG
Bournemouth - Chelsea 1.33 - 1.40 xG
Chelsea - Aston Villa 1.20 - 1.13 xG
Chelsea - Arsenal 1.72 - 1.06 xG

Numbers taken from Understat.com

In those six matches we've picked up a total of 3 points. While you're right that dropping points in such evenly matched games is only natural but to not win even one of them is really unlikely and in my opinion very harsh on the performances. I'm definitely not saying we should have won them all, but even something like 2W-2D-2L would have put us significantly better off in the league table.

But it is what it is. At least our goalscoring seems to have gotten a little better as of late, and with Nkunku to return after the international break too there's a chance our performances and results might yet kick on.

cyberman

Yep, these so called big game raisers only have one win against a top side and they needed to be against 9 men to do so.
They might get a EL spot this year but they seem to lack that 1-0 grind that ironically Ten Hag seems to have instilled at United. They’re basically Crystal Palace at this stage

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

So to sum it up Chelsea are likely to improve going forward but they aren't suddenly gonna morph into top team any time soon this season unless they start being substantially better against teams outside top teams not just being marginally better otherwise the results you wrongly assume can't continue to happen would continue to happen .
Chelsea are very much work in progress and whilst it’s easy to get drawn into the“ Have spent a billion “ narrative it was abundantly clear that many of the players that the new owners had inherited either wanted out or needed to be got rid of. From the numbers I saw in our last accounts in respect of the cost of the 16 players that arrived in the 22/23 two windows it isn’t close to the numbers appearing in the press but it’s still quite a wedge

Most clubs bring in two , three or maybe even four players in the summer window and it normally takes time for the players to gel. Throw in a new coach, add to those issues a fact that for whatever reason pre season injuries then it was never going straight forward.

Of course I would want us to be higher up the table but we aren’t . There is absolutely no doubt that we have struggled to score against teams we have dominated .Ironically not so much to get around their block but being as clinical as teams like Forest, Brentford and Bournemouth are when they get their chances against us.

We very much are work in progress of course there will be more incomings and more outgoings . A keeper a central midfielder and a clinical forward I would suspect are on the shopping list but , and I am a Chelsea glass half empty follower, I actually can see a plan starting to come together. If and a big if we can get into a European place then that will be a decent indication that the squad are gelling

I look forward to finally seeing Nkuku and whilst I think Jackson has done ok ish he is not close to the finished product if Nkuku is able to replicate even close to last seasons form we will score more.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Real Name

To be fair it's pretty good results given the circumstances and drastic changes in the team and the manager. They were 100% losing those fixtures last season. Playing well is the only foundation to consistency it's how they build from this but only Klopp and Pep have had a better run-in at competitive clubs in the league compared to Poch. His opening three / four seasons at Spurs has also eclipsed any United manager post SAF.

Not relative to you or the post but there is a bitterness on the forums when it comes to other managers having breakout seasons for some strange reason. Many hoping for the demise of Ange for example and the same was said in parts with Arteta last season before Arsenal seemingly couldn't stop winning games. Just because another manager does well at another club it doesn't undermine the clubs (United) current manager. It's perfectly plausible to rate other managers while proceeding with our own.
On the other side of the coin every time some other manager is doing good, even slightly good its used by some posters as a stick to beat ETH with.

cyberman

1 win in 5 v 9 men and that’s the run he and Chelsea were being praised for!
Where’s the posters wishing we were in Chelsea’s position now?

ForFuchsSake

The hyperbole around him and this Chelsea team is astounding given that they’ve done very little of note. I knew their form wasn’t actually that impressive but no idea it’s only the one win in five!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
The hyperbole around him and this Chelsea team is astounding given that they’ve done very little of note. I knew their form wasn’t actually that impressive but no idea it’s only the one win in five!
oh look, another fuching idiot. anyone who knows football properly (understands xg) can see that chelsea are playing the best football in the history of the premier league. they just can’t finish their chances or something.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This was fairly even game. Losing 4-1 is wild in a game like this.