Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

Ludens the Red

I mean we’re gonna get beat by a similar score line at Newcastle next week but it is kinda funny how confident pundits were that chelsea had turned a corner and would win this. A notoriously very difficult place to go.

Supports
Chelsea
Feel like I'm missing something here, Poch was banned from the touchline this match. How much influence does he actually have?

Unsurprising performance though. When we face teams who play like relegation candidates its like we lose all ability to do anything. Giving needless freekicks away time after time on the halfway line with how dangerous they are from set pieces isn't the smartest. Extremely immature performance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I mean we’re gonna get beat by a similar score line at Newcastle next week but it is kinda funny how confident pundits were that chelsea had turned a corner and would win this. A notoriously very difficult place to go.
Even title winning Chelsea teams have struggled to get any points away at Newcastle. They beat us regularly. It’s literally been our toughest away game the last 10-12 years. No idea why anyone would be confident of us winning there. It had draw or narrow loss written all over it.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Feel like I'm missing something here, Poch was banned from the touchline this match. How much influence does he actually have?

Unsurprising performance though. When we face teams who play like relegation candidates its like we lose all ability to do anything. Giving needless freekicks away time after time on the halfway line with how dangerous they are from set pieces isn't the smartest. Extremely immature performance.
I don’t think Newcastle parked the bus. They were on top for long periods in the first half and the second half was just a scrappy midfield dogfight until we conceded two goals in 20 seconds.

cyberman

People found a 4-4 match against the treble winners exciting and appreciated Chelsea's willingness to go toe to toe with them. For the grand total of one match.

Didn't see any Utd fans "wishing we were in Chelsea's position".
Yeah, appreciation

This Chelsea side is better than us, on current form.

They have City rattled here.
Its unbelievable that Chelsea are below us in the league. They are a much much better footballing team compares to us.
Are we allowed to say how much better at football both of these teams are than us?

Great quality out there.
Yeah, I've watched a bit of Chelsea lately and they're very impressive and watchable in the middle of the park. Lots of movement and creativity, but no one to finish anything. Had Nkunku avoided injury, I reckon they'd be top 4 right now.

Mudryk obvs hasn't yet settled, but most of their players are hungry for the ball and look to progress play. So much better than us, and so weird that we're somehow above them.
No they havent. If you actually watch their games they control matches and create chances. We haven't controlled a single league game so far.

Results not showing the football they play.
They're clearly playing way better than us.
Based on the few times I've watched them this season, they play much better than us. Our football is awful. We've been winning games 1-0 or 2-1 in a very unconvincing fashion.
If you’re going to jump in at me lad at least read the thread I linked. That was a page and a half

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think Newcastle parked the bus. They were on top for long periods in the first half and the second half was just a scrappy midfield dogfight until we conceded two goals in 20 seconds.
I didn't mean that they parked the bus, just that they play in a way that isn't typical of a team that's near the top. The first half consisted of them trying to get Tripper free to cross almost every attack and winning freekicks anywhere on the pitch to launch it in the box. Its very similar to what West Ham do and it works for them, very often we are terrible against such teams.

Ludens the Red

Even title winning Chelsea teams have struggled to get any points away at Newcastle. They beat us regularly. It’s literally been our toughest away game the last 10-12 years. No idea why anyone would be confident of us winning there. It had draw or narrow loss written all over it.
Yeah that’s why I found it quite odd. The surprise would have been you winning. Maybe people thought they still had the mad injury crisis.

Yeah, appreciation

If you’re going to jump in at me lad at least read the thread I linked. That was a page and a half
To be fair, nobody actually says they’d rather be 12th than where we are … they were all just stating the obvious. Chelsea do play better football than us. Though you’d have to be some kind of moron to prefer to be that lower down the table.

ForFuchsSake

oh look, another fuching idiot. anyone who knows football properly (understands xg) can see that chelsea are playing the best football in the history of the premier league. they just can’t finish their chances or something.
Yeah, but the difference is, we’re fully aware United are a mediocre, flawed side. Chelsea have been dubbed the xG emperors of the universe and a drastic turnaround in form is an inevitability with Pochettino sure to assert himself as one of the best managers currently on the scene.

In reality, Chelsea have just as much chance of continuing to drop points and Poch going the way of Potter and Tuchel, as they have of returning to the top of the domestic and European tables.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I didn't mean that they parked the bus, just that they play in a way that isn't typical of a team that's near the top. The first half consisted of them trying to get Tripper free to cross almost every attack and winning freekicks anywhere on the pitch to launch it in the box. Its very similar to what West Ham do and it works for them, very often we are terrible against such teams.
No one closed down any crosses today. It's a simple fix for Chelsea but I'm not seeing any progression in terms of basic defending. Worrying for them.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah, appreciation

I remember posters using their xga to claim their better than United. I've watched them plenty enough to know their athleticism will create them lots of half chances but their lack of creativity will be their undoing. Swap Gallagher for a creative midfielder and they would probably get better results.

samlee86

Feel like I'm missing something here, Poch was :houllier:banned from the touchline this match. How much influence does he actually have?

Most delusional post of the year

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The lesson is you can't just change your entire team in a season and then expect top 4.

Even if you spend a billion, without sorting the forward line out properly.

We'll probably improve but it'll take a couple more seasons. Nkunku fit will also make a different difference.

Supports
Chelsea
No one closed down any crosses today. It's a simple fix for Chelsea but I'm not seeing any progression in terms of basic defending. Worrying for them.
Not a good recipe for success when you struggle to stop the crosses, lose the initial duels, and are all at sea if there's any variation from the set pieces. The 2nd goal and the Akanji goal a few weeks ago are basically the same. Non existent marking.

erikcred

We all rave about Brighton's football. Doesn't mean we want to be "in Brighton's position". So yes, it's just appreciation.

Chelsea's lows are comically low at the moment, but I can understand Utd fans looking at the occasional good performance and worrying that on their day they can actually compete with the big boys, especially with a new striker returning from a long injury layoff.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The lesson is you can't just change your entire team in a season and then expect top 4.

We'll probably improve but it'll take a couple more seasons. Nkunku fit will also make a different difference.
Not sure that’s the lesson…

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

What's the motivation for all these players on 8-9 year deals if you're not making europe even end of next season? Or at best it's Europa conference league?

I think this is where the Boehly business plan starts to fall down a bit as then you're dealing with human emotion as let's remember many of these players signed are actually on lower basic salaries than what they'd be getting at Arsenal or Liverpool. I presume they'd get bonuses if they make CL but that's not happening anytime soon.

Not sure what penalty clauses are in the sponsorship deals either but we know Man. United lose 10-15m if they don't make CL this season so I presume it's similar with Chelsea and that will impact on future FFP years.

Ultimately Chelsea can't be spending 200-300m every single transfer window just to finish 7th or 8th. The current top teams are remodelling their starting line ups well so going to be a big challenge next season aswell.

ti vu

I remember posters using their xga to claim their better than United. I've watched them plenty enough to know their athleticism will create them lots of half chances but their lack of creativity will be their undoing. Swap Gallagher for a creative midfielder and they would probably get better results.
Let's make a deal again, Mount for Gallagher

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A key point about underlying stats is that while they're a better predictor of future results than past results are, and while you can sometimes use them to argue a team will eventually revert to the mean, even if that's going to happen there's never any guarantee it will happen over the course of a given season. Let alone in time to save a season from going south.

As is Chelsea could be 8 points behind us by the end of tomorrow. That would be a pretty big gap even at this stage of the season.

RedStarUnited

Yeah, appreciation

Today doesnt change anything I or many of us said. They have played better football than us all season. I mean Newcastle beat us 3-0 at home not long ago.

In 2015/2016, Peps Man City finished on the same points as that LVG team. But you can tell they were going places but didnt have the right personel yet.

Giving everything thats gone wrong with us, its hysterical that we could be 4/5 points behind City and Liverpool by the end of tomorrow

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Today doesnt change anything I or many of us said. They have played better football than us all season. I mean Newcastle beat us 3-0 at home not long ago.

In 2015/2016, Peps Man City finished on the same points as that LVG team. But you can tell they were going places but didnt have the right personel yet.

Giving everything thats gone wrong with us, its hysterical that we could be 4/5 points behind City and Liverpool by the end of tomorrow
So he just needs to spend another 300 mil

cyberman

They dont play better football, they only play ok from deep until 25 yards from goal while failing to get their top players in goals scoring positions and concede chance upon chance upon chance to any standard of team they play against.
It’s a shit way to play football but they do play it well. Apparently they’re big game raisers who only struggle v parked buses who never win a big game. It must be complicated

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It was Pellegrini's last season, not Pep. Are you thinking of Klopp's half season starting from January 2016?

RedStarUnited

They dont play better football, they only play ok from deep until 25 yards from goal while failing to get their top players in goals scoring positions and concede chance upon chance upon chance to any standard of team they play against.
It’s a shit way to play football but they do play it well. Apparently they’re big game raisers who only struggle v parked buses who never win a big game. It must be complicated
its widely accepted that Jackson has been a nightmare in front of goal. So what you are saying cant be true.

I personally have seen them control a lot of games so im not sure where this chance after chance thing came from. Have you seen us play this season?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Maybe? Pep ddnt stand and still and wait for Sagna and the likes to improve. By the way, even in his season Pep finished 3rd.

Chelsea has an expensive but badly assembled squad.
I'm not really sure the pep comparison holds any water as City were not that bad in his first season while Chelsea look awful. Pep had a much better track record as well.

RedStarUnited

It was Pellegrini's last season, not Pep. Are you thinking of Klopp's half season starting from January 2016?
Ah yes you are right. It was Pallegrini. Pep and Jose came at the same time.

I really thought I remembered Leicester beating a Pep managed team.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mad how they can put in a master class against city but then get leathered of Newcastle.

cyberman

its widely accepted that Jackson has been a nightmare in front of goal. So what you are saying cant be true.

I personally have seen them control a lot of games so im not sure where this chance after chance thing came from. Have you seen us play this season?
So you think he’s one of their top players? What kind of point is that to make?
They don’t control games, teams sit back and allow them the ball because they won’t do much with it and if they do they’ll concede twice the amount of clear chances than they’ll create. Poch literally came out and said this, they struggle to break down low blocks. Shock, horror they end up playing v low blocks 90 percent of the time.
Thats not control, its the opposition controlling where and how they play

Cloud7

I didn’t expect Poch to achieve anything of note there (I believe top 4 is his ceiling) but he’s doing a fair bit worse than I thought he would

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They've shown positive signs but you still need results in the end.

They'll likely be around 27 points midway through the schedule and that's really just not good enough.

Potter had 27 points from his first 20 matches and that was without having a summer to prepare for the season. Poch's side looks worlds better than Potter's but if the results are that close it tells you something.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Chelsea have such a piss poor squad despite their spending.

BorisManUtd

They've shown promising signs in some games like vs Arsenal, City etc. Think within a few months Chelsea's results will improve.