Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

always_hoping

Get Jose back, well past his best but he'd have a better chance of winning the upcoming league cup final with his final record than media darling Poch.

CallyRed

The only logical option is Big Sam. Might as well just get it over with and bring him in.

slored1

Glad we picked ten Hag over him, even if Erik has been substandard this season. At least we're not Chelsea.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Picked Chelsea in my last man standing group for my sons football team because I read the stat on here about the last 10 home games being 8 wins and 2 draws. After the Newcastle score yesterday I made it to the final 5 for £500.
So yeah, I jinxed them it seems. :(

Tarrou

I wonder if Poch goes to Wolves or some other dross will Amadeus become a fan again?

Blood Mage

Absolute nothing manager. Even during his peak years at Spurs the football was generally poor and he relied on the individual brilliance of Kane, Son and Eriksen most of the time.

Judas

Open to offers
I knew he'd be bad, but part of me thought due to the money spaffed a top 4 finish wouldn't be totally out of reach. He's miles away, a total nothing of a fella.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
How can Chelsea afford to fire him? They'd have to pay him and his staff for the rest of their contracts. No Prem team is going to buy their players off them before the end of June, as they know it's better to knock Chelsea out of European contention for next year, which will happen with a 10 point fine.
Managers and their coaching staff very rarely get paid the full contract in case they're sacked, no matter what you read in the sensationalist clickbait media. Almost always there's a compensation clause in the contract that guarantees a pay-off but usually it's way less than the full remaining amount.

And even if there's no clause, it's really not that complicated. Don't actually terminate the contracts (which would trigger the big pay-off) but rather just remove the feckers from their jobs and put them on gardening leave. Keep paying them their salaries without actually expecting them to work till the contract runs out or they resign themselves to take another job elsewhere, whichever comes first. That way there's no immediate huge FFP impact to replace the manager, basically the extra cost would just be having to pay a salary to the next loser(s) as well but for half a season that's not going to be an obscene amount.

As for your latter point, are you sure about that? Last year there was the exact same talk about the club needing money before the June 30th deadline and what happened? Mount to United for £55M, Havertz to Arsenal for £65M and Kovacic to City for £25M.

Charlie Foley

Where's Amadeus these days?

Don't care about him one way or the other, but I feel he's peaked since that UCL Season with Spurs and has just coasted in the PSG job and this. Nothing about this Chelsea team screams Poch's Soton/early Spurs teams. Never a good sign when a manager is not able to bring their 'philosophy' to a football club. I think he's become less and less the impressive tactical manager many thought he would be and more an Ancelloti-type man manager, unfortunately (for them) a shit one too.
Spurs were awful in the league while they went on that CL run weren't they?

redcucumber

They're obviously short of lemons. Too many negative orgones prohibiting Poch from really moulding a team in his citrusy image.

Mr Smith

I feel a bit sorry for him as I don't think anyone would succeed in the current environment there, but my god he's chosen his last two jobs poorly. Even if it it was hard to predict it being quite this bad, it wasn't hard to imagine it going wrong.

Charlie Foley

Not really. Came 4th, won 23 games. Wasn’t one of their best PL years under him but still good.
I’ll have to check it, because I remember thinking they looked really good the first half of the year and then the CL run papered over some cracks in performances domestically.

Charlie Foley

@Ludens the Red check the second half of their league formSpurs 2018-19
They won 15 games the first half of the season. 45 points from a possible 57. Which is on pace for 90 point season. 2.368 points per game

second half they won 8, drew 2, lost 9(!). 26 out of 57, on pace for a 52 point season. 1.368 points per game. A drop off of a whole point!
Their last 12 games were 7 losses, 2 draws, 3 wins. Less than 0.92 points per game. Insane drop offs.

we got 2 points from our last 5 games that season :lol:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Xavi to Chelsea would be a fun one. We could have Xavi, Arteta, Pep, and Xabi [Irrelevant point - unless we are talking about F1] next season.
Have the caf mods setup an auto response every time someone mentions Al*nso? What's all that about? :lol:

Ludens the Red

@Ludens the Red check the second half of their league formSpurs 2018-19
They won 15 games the first half of the season. 45 points from a possible 57. Which is on pace for 90 point season. 2.368 points per game

second half they won 8, drew 2, lost 9(!). 26 out of 57, on pace for a 52 point season. 1.368 points per game. A drop off of a whole point!
Their last 12 games were 7 losses, 2 draws, 3 wins. Less than 0.92 points per game. Insane drop offs.

we got 2 points from our last 5 games that season :lol:
Yeah I recall the second half of their season was poor. But overall it was still a good pl campaign for Spurs. Just a bit lopsided. It’s not as if they weren’t playing Champions League football in the first half of the season.

Charlie Foley

Yeah I recall the second half of their season was poor. But overall it was still a good pl campaign for Spurs. Just a bit lopsided. It’s not as if they weren’t playing Champions League football in the first half of the season.
No, but the knockout run was what had people hyped. which is what I was talking about.

Funnily enough when they were flying in the league they did not look impressive in the CL group and scraped past inter (they got some lucky playing Barca away when they had nothing to play for). Easy to point to the CL as his high point at the club which perhaps emotionally it was but week in week out they weren’t playing good football so it masks a lot

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it’s a very difficult squad. For all the money spent that squad is really poor to my eyes. I don’t see any world class players, or really anyone that can become world class.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’s a very difficult squad. For all the money spent that squad is really poor to my eyes. I don’t see any world class players, or really anyone that can become world class.
Not really sure what you consider 'world class' because the term is one of the most subjective interpretations in football but personally I think we've got some really solid building blocks in there with the likes of James, Fofana, Colwill, Enzo, Caicedo Lavia,, Palmer and Nkunku. Though it has to be noted quite a few of them have had some tough breaks with injuries lately.

Poch has made many players look like headless chickens throughout the season but I'm not at all convinced that's their actual level. Whether any of them will ever become 'world class' is doubtful but nobody can ever convince me any of the players mentioned are mid table level at best. After yesterday's game I'm personally 100% in the Poch out camp.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Are the players really bad or is it pochettino
The players aren't bad but I don't think anyone would consider this squad anything special on paper if it weren't for the fact that it's Chelsea and they paid a fortune for the players. They are incredibly unproven.

MegadrivePerson

Chelsea's run of fixtures in all competitions is Villa away, Palace away, City away, Liverpool at Wembley, Brentford away, Newcastle at home, Arsenal away.

Difficult to see where their next win comes from?

Fabio Rochemback

Chelsea's run of fixtures in all competitions is Villa away, Palace away, City away, Liverpool at Wembley, Brentford away, Newcastle at home, Arsenal away.

I expect they'll win one or two of those but no more than that... surely that will be the end of Poch?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

City away and Liverpool at Wembley, hopefully.

Mike Smalling

They could beat Palace, who are also in shocking form, but yeah it looks like they could drop further in the table based on this run of fixtures.

3KDré

Not really sure what you consider 'world class' because the term is one of the most subjective interpretations in football but personally I think we've got some really solid building blocks in there with the likes of James, Fofana, Colwill, Enzo, Caicedo Lavia,, Palmer and Nkunku. Though it has to be noted quite a few of them have had some tough breaks with injuries lately.

Poch has made many players look like headless chickens throughout the season but I'm not at all convinced that's their actual level. Whether any of them will ever become 'world class' is doubtful but nobody can ever convince me any of the players mentioned are mid table level at best. After yesterday's game I'm personally 100% in the Poch out camp.
Not sure about you but one of the few Chelsea players I've liked seeing was Chukwuemeka.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You don't have to be world class to be structured, defend well and have a playing philosophy. They have nothing to show for 6 months. Pochettino has got to go.