Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You watched the game? Same narrative. Chelsea messed up by not signing a top striker.

ETH had only fecking Weghorst for multiple months of last season, including a two-legged tie vs Barca and a cup final.

kaku06

He? I don't think Pochettino wanted to spend £200m on defensive midfielder.
Also You about Lavia when chelsea signed him.
Regen of Pochettino wonder boy moussa Dembele. I can see why Pochettino seem as happy as he was as spurs. Perhaps even happier because he doesn’t have to deal with levy and not being supported by the board. I m sure Pochettino will mold Lavia to be his moussa Dembele

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I had never seen a super expensive side where I couldn't recognize most of the players' faces. I wonder if that's Poch's fault or just the owner's.
Considering that this started right after Boehly took over I think the owners are still at fault and believe Poch can't do much about it.

always_hoping

Do you think so?
I do but more important what does Chelsea supporters like yourself think of Poch, were you happy with his appointment and think he's capable of turning this run around to avoid becoming another Potter who was gone after 31 games?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Poch has the team set up completely unbalanced. Injury crisis or not, and it’s an awfully long list, that stuff is on him. Colwill LB, Enzo second striker etc that shit is just Poch making it more complicated than it needs to be. I have no idea why he moved away from what was working so well in preseason.

Enigma_87

You know who
He? I don't think Pochettino wanted to spend £200m on defensive midfielder.
I thought the board is giving what Poch wanted?

Pochettino got his dembele regen in lavia and now getting his son regen in Palmer. Congratulations chelsea board, you are giving Pochettino what he wants so far. Just need a top keeper. Perhaps that could be Petrovic. And let see how jackson develops

TheReligion

Abusive
Yup. It’s quite depressing to be honest.

Nkunku looks good but no doubt we will ruin his career too.
Tbh I don’t know why you spent all the money you have on youth players and the likes of Cole Palmer etc

You could have chucked the lot on Osimhen or Kane instead.

That said you do have Nkunku, Jackson and Sterling (who was prolific at City). Plenty of options.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh I don’t know why you spent all the money you have on youth players and the likes of Cole Palmer etc

You could have chucked the lot on Osimhen or Kane instead.

That said you do have Nkunku, Jackson and Sterling (who was prolific at City). Plenty of options.
I wanted Postecoglu so bad. Our club would never have taken a manager from the Scottish leagues though despite his clear vision and ability.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wanted Postecoglu so bad. Our club would never have taken a manager from the Scottish leagues though despite his clear vision and ability.
Do you think Ange would have come? Not trying to wind you up but he seems quite true to himself and I’m not sure he’d be a fan of the circus that is Chelsea.

It still feels like a total disconnect between manager and owners. Poch saying he has no idea the club had been signing players in press conferences was a big red flag and to be honest suggests Tuchel was likely right about Clearlake.

Will be interesting when/if Potter finally speaks out.

Ted Lasso

Dinosaur. Lucked his way into a CL final. Collapsed when the league was there for the taking. Can't get a foothold with ridiculous talent across this Chelsea team.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Do you think Ange would have come? Not trying to wind you up but he seems quite true to himself and I’m not sure he’d be a fan of the circus that is Chelsea.

It still feels like a total disconnect between manager and owners. Poch saying he has no idea the club had been signing players in press conferences was a big red flag and to be honest suggests Tuchel was likely right about Clearlake.

Will be interesting when/if Potter finally speaks out.
100%

He said he thought his chance of moving to the Premier League was over at his age and when he got a chance a club in turmoil it suited him as he loves the challenge.

We’d have certainly fit that criteria.

Poch for me was always going to be a mistake.

Redfrog

You watched the game? Same narrative. Chelsea messed up by not signing a top striker.

I believe a team of kids won't see there true potential until later on. Still don't understand chelsea project of investing so much in kids. We saw how our experience players won us the game yesterday. Chelsea is lacking that at the moment.
But, but, they are awesome and just can’t convert, plus they have the best manager in the world.

Ole'sattheWheel

Why is poch so highly rated? The last good thing he did was get into the CL final via an absolute fluke and then get battered in the final.
This was in 2019 btw

Redfrog

If you want to compare them for both players to add in to the equation.

Mudryk is on £100K a week over an 8 1/2 year contract. Antony is on £200K a week on a 5 year contract (with an option for a 6th year). So if they both never play again, sit our their contracts and leave on frees then Antony is costing a lot more.

Both wages taken from Spotrac for consistency.
Problem is, you have 20 or so Mudryk in your team. Good luck to get ride.

sugar_kane

The Poch hate on here is so small time, he was great at Southampton and Spurs not sure why we need to revel in his struggles. He seems like a decent guy.

It’s clearly a way of justifying going for Ten Hag and not him, but it’s not really necessary.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Why is poch so highly rated? The last good thing he did was get into the CL final via an absolute fluke and then get battered in the final.
This was in 2019 btw
They lost 2-0 due to a questionable penalty in minute 2 and then an 87 minute goal when they were pushing for an equaliser. Not to mention Liverpool had a much better team and not many would expect Spurs to have won that game against peak Klopp Liverpool.

I mean, Sir Alex Ferguson lost two Champions League finals because he played against a far better Pep Guardiola Barcelona team.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
The Poch hate on here is so small time, he was great at Southampton and Spurs not sure why we need to revel in his struggles. He seems like a decent guy.

It’s clearly a way of justifying going for Ten Hag and not him, but it’s not really necessary.
People have been making fun of him since before Ten Hag was appointed.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Ange is high rated like Poch was during his Tottenham time. It s so spursy to think their manager is world class when he loses less often than the others…

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Oh, we don't mind him, really. It's all to do with Amadeus.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
It is easy to spot managers and at the same time it is easy to spot pretenders. Just watch what team Redknapp, Boas and Sherwood left for him to work with. I've said before. Solskjaer is better manager than him, when talk about who would replace Mourinho was.
The biggest difference between Postecoglu and Pochettino is the big aussie man saying "Listen mate, we can totally win the lot - each game is winnable", whereas Pochettino was always talking down the chances and saying the team "wasn't ready" and "was just a small team punching about their weight" - it's no wonder we were crap in finals. He also spent the CL year tonguing Fergie for the seat Solksjaer was warming - trying to distance himself from the team he was managing, even before the CL final.

That's not a top manager - it's the sign of a guy trying to cash out because he knows he's fluked his way to something. I feel like him going to Chelsea was the perfect palate cleanser to stop an unfortunately large part of our fanbase obsessing over bringing him back to have another go at tumescent football, like a guy loading a cheat tactic from FM2014 and wondering why it doesn't work in 2023

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Must hurt him to see his old team spurs doing well and him struggle with Chelsea.

JagUTD

It might be worth getting ahead of things and setting up a couple more sack watch threads for the next 2 or 3 Chelsea managers so that we can get the discussion going early.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I believe a team of kids won't see there true potential until later on. Still don't understand chelsea project of investing so much in kids. We saw how our experience players won us the game yesterday. Chelsea is lacking that at the moment.
Why is he so bad at coaching strikers?

Devil81

Chelsea went fully head first into this mess like we have over the last 10 years.

When will clubs learn, player rotation needs to be at a minimum and the focus should be on creating a system and culture of success.

Poch and Potter before him are both fantastic managers but what chance do they have with a squad full of strangers and a set of fans that won't allow a period of transition.

Same shit were having to deal with. ETH will more than likely go before his work can reach the stage he's happy with.

tomaldinho1

I feel like Chelsea always struggle for top CFs but don’t really know why. After Drogba it’s only really been Costa for a couple of seasons who you’d argue was elite. Looks like that trend is continuing.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This is you when Chelsea signed him.
You must have missed the part where i stated that All that is left is to fix the attack and goalkeeper. It is right there at bottom and never changed. It was obvious the attack was never fixed, and Chelsea still didn't do nothing to fix it going into the season.

ETH had only fecking Weghorst for multiple months of last season, including a two-legged tie vs Barca and a cup final.
Rashford and Bruno were available. You don't need a goalscoring striker if you have other attackers contributing. The problem is, Chelsea has no other attackers that can contribute to goals beside nkunku who is injured. I see perhaps palmer as well, but he is still young.

You surely not comparing that team to this chelsea team?

Also You about Lavia when chelsea signed him.
I thought the board is giving what Poch wanted?
Not complaining about the midfield. It is the attack. The midfield needed a fix after letting go of kante, loftus, jorginho, kovacic, mount and so much more, so what they did was good when it comes to their midfield, but it seems all their budget went there instead of where it is needed the most.

It was a big overhaul, so perhaps their plan to do it over multiple windows. It is still criminal that they didn't sign a top striker

Mbappe and Kane had amazing season under him. Not sure what you on about. Jackson was doing well until nkunku injury as well.

Last edited: