Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the road. He can argue he's been unlucky with never having been able to cement a side due to constant injuries, but he still has to do better with what's available to him. All of them might not be world beaters but they're better than 11th. Jose until the end of the season? :nervous:

Robbie Boy

Funny that the Chelsea fans won't take the lowering of standards yet we're discussing if 5th place is a good finish and whether or not the manager is doing a good job.
Wait what? If ETH had us in 11th place in his first season come March, there would have been a massive proportion of our fanbase wanting him out.

BorisManUtd

Chelsea got 2 games left before International break: Newcastle (H) in PL and Leicester (H) in Fa Cup. If they don't sack Poch in next few days I could see it happening if they lose to Newcastle. They'll most probably advance to semi-final of Fa Cup but not sure if their board will trust in Poch's ability to actually win the trophy, especially after Carabao Cup final loss.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them hire Mourinho as interim until the end of the season. They'd win solid amount of points in league (they've got decent schedule until the end) and he could prepare them well for Wembley game(s).

USREDEVIL

Makes the summer even harder to decide which sacked chelsea manager to take us to the promise land :wenger:
Tuchel
Potter (non magical one)
Poch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Funnily enough Chelsea have finally got some continuity in their selections. Chilwell staying fit and playing every week as is Gusto on the other side, Petrovic has been the regular keeper since early December, Jackson and Palmer played pretty much every game in final third and Caciedo-Enzo-Gallagher has been the regular midfield trio for many months (as it should be with the money spent).

Apparently Poch was saying some of the side are gassed but journalist on the socials made the point they recalled a Casadei mid season from Leicester who's a CM but only on the fringes.

Feels like they'll have a meltdown game at Stamford Bridge at some point before end of the season, not good for Pochettino that their away fans are in open revolt at him now as only a matter of time before that feeling transfers to home games.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Was the loudest you were all second half - that and singing for Mourinho not much to sing about at the moment though I guess.
That pretty much covers their songbook. Okay they’ve got the gem ”Chawsea, Chawsea, Chawseaa…” too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It absolutely is. The amount of time it must’ve taken to make the final decision on the lyrics… just wow, a piece of art.
Thanks I appreciate the kind words, but you’re not so bad yourselves with;

Mu. Muf. Mufc. Ok.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Thanks I appreciate the kind words, but you’re not so bad yourselves with;

Mu. Muf. Mufc. Ok.
At least in our games you hear more than three different chants ;)

Hmm, actually… maybe the ”booooo” can be added to your songlist.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
@Mr Smith

Do you still hold this view?

“Ange Postecoglu over Pochettino is one of the most bizarre football takes I've heard. And I'm a fan of Ange.

I personally put an asterisk over Pochettino's time at PSG because the club has been shown consistently to be a basket case, and a number of good managers have struggled there, having done well elsewhere. As for Southampton and Spurs, to say he was a failure at either of those clubs reeks of the entitlement you'd expect from a Chelsea fan.

What is known about Poch is he's great with young players, which is required for this very young and raw Chelsea squad. We know he's hungry and eager to prove himself. I do think the baggage from being a former Spurs manager carries genuine risk, but based on what tye club actually seem to want (a youngish project manager who can work with young players) he's actually the obvious candidate.”

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
De Zerbi would not be a great choice. The guy is still working stuff out. Put him in a pressure cooker scenario and he will fail.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I would say a big no thanks to De Zerbi.
I'm not too enamoured but at this point we simply need the squad adequately coached again.

Whether he can take the final leap or not is a can that has to be kicked down the road for now.

Mr Smith

@Mr Smith

Do you still hold this view?

“Ange Postecoglu over Pochettino is one of the most bizarre football takes I've heard. And I'm a fan of Ange.

I personally put an asterisk over Pochettino's time at PSG because the club has been shown consistently to be a basket case, and a number of good managers have struggled there, having done well elsewhere. As for Southampton and Spurs, to say he was a failure at either of those clubs reeks of the entitlement you'd expect from a Chelsea fan.

What is known about Poch is he's great with young players, which is required for this very young and raw Chelsea squad. We know he's hungry and eager to prove himself. I do think the baggage from being a former Spurs manager carries genuine risk, but based on what tye club actually seem to want (a youngish project manager who can work with young players) he's actually the obvious candidate.”
Ouch, way to bring my chickens home to roost.

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm surprised by Ange, I didn't expect his Spurs tenure to start as well as it has. I would however reserve judgement, as I suspect his team will be found out given how reckless hos style is.

As for Poch, I firmly believe no manager can be judged too harshly given how chaotic Chelsea has become. I'm pretty convinced Ange would not be doing much better there.

Now if you're asking me who I'd prefer as a manager right now, I think I'd be bonkers to claim I'd prefer Poch; Ange has clearly shown he's capable at this level, while Poch's stock has dropoed massively. But I also don't think Poch is anywhere near as bad as the Chelsea job is making him look, and I think he'd be doing much better at mist clubs of a similar size.

In short, my opinion has changed signifcantly on Ange, less so on Poch.

AshRK

He's just a very average manager imo.
I think his choices have been pretty strange since leaving spurs. He is never a manager who will succeed at a club where they would want quick success. Another reason why he would have been piss poor with United as well.

He is a decent manager just that he will look fine managing clubs with less expectations.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Ouch, way to bring my chickens home to roost.

I'll hold my hands up and say I'm surprised by Ange, I didn't expect his Spurs tenure to start as well as it has. I would however reserve judgement, as I suspect his team will be found out given how reckless hos style is.

As for Poch, I firmly believe no manager can be judged too harshly given how chaotic Chelsea has become. I'm pretty convinced Ange would not be doing much better there.

Now if you're asking me who I'd prefer as a manager right now, I think I'd be bonkers to claim I'd prefer Poch; Ange has clearly shown he's capable at this level, while Poch's stock has dropoed massively. But I also don't think Poch is anywhere near as bad as the Chelsea job is making him look, and I think he'd be doing much better at mist clubs of a similar size.

In short, my opinion has changed signifcantly on Ange, less so on Poch.
Fair play.

To be fair, I wanted Ange because he has ripped apart teams and build his own style from bottom up and sticks to this. He’s fearless against bigger teams without being a coward, like Poch, such as parking the bus against the Liverpool children in the final.

You weren’t the only person who had that view you were just the first one I found. My apologies.

Mr Smith

Fair play.

To be fair, I wanted Ange because he has ripped apart teams and build his own style from bottom up and sticks to this. He’s fearless against bigger teams without being a coward, like Poch, such as parking the bus against the Liverpool children in the final.

You weren’t the only person who had that view you were just the first one I found. My apologies.
Interesting, wanting Ange for those reasons does make a lot of sense. I think I just thought this level would be too high for him and he'd be found out (hence why I'm so impressed).

Out of curiosity, where do you sit on Poch after a season? I've got the sense he's made some odd choices (playing defenders on their wrong sides and playing Enzo too far ahead of Caceido), but obviously haven't followed as closely as you. I've personally felt Poch's biggest mistakes have just been choosing jobs badly (PSG which regularly eats managers alive, followed by Chelsea who were in a complete mess). Where do you sit?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Too early to herald Ange for me. I think he is too inflexible and I think, if Spurs were to qualify in Europe, that teams with better footballers will find them out.