Pochettino sacked by Spurs

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To get his £12.5m payout Poch can't actually take a job for 6 months, is that correct?

If so he would be perfect for us in the summer
No idea but I would have thought so, I don't think he will be in a rush this season anyway. Wouldn't mind you getting him tbh, he is a great guy and clearly a good coach. I would be interesting to see what he does with the backing he would get at United. He isn't perfect though but what manager is.

Sanchez7

Many Bayern fans have Erik Ten Hag as their number 1 choice. And plenty will say they'd prefer Tuchel or to see how Hansi Flick does before they'd consider Pochettino. There will always be the concern about a coach like Pochettino settling in Bayern, regards the language specifically.

Obviously if it was the choice of one or the other, you'd take Pochettino over Ole!
Ten Hag and Tuchel are both highly rated managers so it is no surprise that the fans want them. Actually for those that measure a managers success by trophies - before going to PSG, the only major honour Tuchel had won was the German cup.

I agree with you that between the two, Poch is the obvious choice and I hope that the United board has given it deep thought too.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
:eek:

I think it's quite clear that poch and levy did not have a good relationship. Levy kept breaking his promises to him regarding transfers and poch kept obliquely moaning about levy in the press.

Wouldn't surprise me if levy loosens the purse strings more now, for no better reason than that he has more confidence in mourinho and likes him better.
Pochettino was the manager at Spurs for 5 and half years. You don't last or stay that long without having a good relationship with Levy.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We will find out.
It will be interesting to see. I had a bit of an issue with Poch when he couldn't beat a poor Joses United in the FA cup semi. Jose has that knack of winning those types of games know.
Poch needs to develop this trait, getting to the UCL final hopefully a good thing he can push on from

BlueHaze

No idea but I would have thought so, I don't think he will be in a rush this season anyway. Wouldn't mind you getting him tbh, he is a great guy and clearly a good coach. I would be interesting to see what he does with the backing he would get at United. He isn't perfect though but what manager is.
I think he'd get us top 4 first year then maybe 3rd the year after and not more than that. Personally I would be fine with that because with Ole it looks we might not even finish 5th.

crossy1686

career ending
To get his £12.5m payout Poch can't actually take a job for 6 months, is that correct?

If so he would be perfect for us in the summer
When being fired or removed from a role of this magnitude, the following usually happens.

The employee is entitled to a payout of the contract/monthly salary for a set amount of months in return for non-disclosure of any private or sensitive information or the details of what lead to the removal of the position.

The employee is entitled to look for new work and accept a job but they will forfeit their payout in doing so. Depending on when the new contract start date is.

Pochettino is still a registered employee of Tottenham and will remain so until his notice period is over or he accepts a new role that cuts short his notice period. The best way to describe this situation is if you think back to Monaco and the time when they sacked Jardim. He was still on the books and still being paid by Monaco, like Pochettino is right now. So when they sacked Henry they simply reinstated Jardim as head coach and carried on.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It will be interesting to see. I had a bit of an issue with Poch when he couldn't beat a poor Joses United in the FA cup semi. Jose has that knack of winning those types of games know.
Poch needs to develop this trait, getting to the UCL final hopefully a good thing he can push on from
He got beaten in the FA Cup semi finial and a League Cup Semi by Chelsea, that's the trait he seems to be lacking the ability to see it out and for me that's down to his in game management. He has one way to play and only one, he wont shut up shop, he wont go long. Its possession at all costs, I actually thought he was adapting when we beat Liverpool(IIRC) by surrendering possession and countering but I don't think that was by design.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think he'd get us top 4 first year then maybe 3rd the year after and not more than that. Personally I would be fine with that because with Ole it looks we might not even finish 5th.
He will get you there no doubt but his style of play takes time, in his first year with us it was awful stuff, sideways, sideways back. But its just the time it takes to implement his highline and high press football.

crossy1686

career ending
When Ed bites the bullet, Poch will have a club. It'll be around March and we'll be left in limbo again.
Pochettino won't be accepting an offer any time soon. He's got a big fat payout to receive over the next 6 months and he'll most likely want to wait until the summer to see who gets the sack before agreeing anything with anyone else.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
You never sacked an even more successful manager in Jose the first time around?

Not to mention the sacking of Ancelotti
We had a team of superstars back then, every year we could have won the CL - it would have surprised no one, if we had done that.

Bestietom

When being fired or removed from a role of this magnitude, the following usually happens.

The employee is entitled to a payout of the contract/monthly salary for a set amount of months in return for non-disclosure of any private or sensitive information or the details of what lead to the removal of the position.

The employee is entitled to look for new work and accept a job but they will forfeit their payout in doing so. Depending on when the new contract start date is.

Pochettino is still a registered employee of Tottenham and will remain so until his notice period is over or he accepts a new role that cuts short his notice period. The best way to describe this situation is if you think back to Monaco and the time when they sacked Jardim. He was still on the books and still being paid by Monaco, like Pochettino is right now. So when they sacked Henry they simply reinstated Jardim as head coach and carried on.
Yes, this is usually around 6 months with pay, depending on contract of course.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We had a team of superstars back then, every year we could have won the CL - it would have surprised no one, if we had done that.
Except is surprised many

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Poch doesn't strike me as that kind of guy, I genuinely believe he wanted time to turn it around.
Well, maybe, yes. I don't know whether or not he wanted to leave.

I'm saying that if he didn't want to leave then sacking him was bad decision IMO, but if he did want to leave then IMO he wouldn't just resign and thus lose out on the big chunk of compensation money that he's now getting for being sacked. He many times said he wouldn't leave whilst under contract unless sacked.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well, maybe, yes. I don't know whether or not he wanted to leave.

I'm saying that if he didn't want to leave then sacking him was bad decision IMO, but if he did want to leave then IMO he wouldn't just resign and thus lose out on the big chunk of compensation money that he's now getting for being sacked. He many times said he wouldn't leave whilst under contract unless sacked.
You would have kept him?

Utd7

Sigh, he's going to end up at Bayern. We have the worst luck with the timing of appointing elite managers (i.e Klopp ending up at Liverpool when we still had LvG)

AshRK

He is a good manager but I am still hesitant in seeing him manage us. People overrate his style of football big time. Sometimes yes SPurs played some good quick football but that sometime was less. In fact his football reminded me a lot of Jose's time with chelsea from 2004-2006 but less effective making it boring.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I loved the guy but his record since January has been terrible, the performances terrible, we bundled to a Euro Final and didn't even show up.
Well, every manager goes through a bad period sooner or later. Pochettino earned the right IMO to be given more chance to get through it ... assuming he really wanted to stay that is.

As for the CL final, once that VAR decision on handball/penalty decision against Sissoko was given so early on, it was always going to be tough to win the game … but if not for that it might have been different story.

Bestietom

Did he lose the dressing room. Talk is some players wanted him gone. Player power is taking over now.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I have tried to argue the same thing for a few months….not successfully I might add :) The big myth - Spurs were a mid-table side when Poch took over!
I hear it a lot on here and its simply not true, are resurgence started long before Poch, it had a few blips but was always on the up. To be honest before ENIC took over were weren't even a mid-tabled side, we were relegation material.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Well, every manager goes through a bad period sooner or later. Pochettino earned the right IMO to be given more chance to get through it ... assuming he really wanted to stay that is.

As for the CL final, once that VAR decision on handball/penalty decision against Sissoko was given so early on, it was always going to be tough to win the game … but if not for that it might have been different story.
Of course he did.
It's really funny how half of the cafe members can not look more than 6 months back in time. Makes me feel really old!

waza7111

Did he lose the dressing room. Talk is some players wanted him gone. Player power is taking over now.
The senior players like Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen etc who are out of contract soon were not giving their all. A lot of players were tired of his intense training and football style. They weren't running as much as they used to.

That's what I read anyway. If it's true then they will like Mourinho's football because it's the exact opposite.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Of course he did.
It's really funny how half of the cafe members can not look more than 6 months back in time. Makes me feel really old!
What signs have we seen in almost a year, that's no exaggeration that Poch was going to turn it around? We aren't like United or Liverpool who being out of the CL wont matter, it does matter to us, it will hurt us much more.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

The way Spurs have played this year it seems he lost the dressing room completely and that is pretty hard to bounce back from regardless of how much goodwill you have saved up with fans and owners.

Really, if the relationship between manager and players have gone sour beyond repair, all you can do is either sack the manager or purge the squad.

I Am Zlatan

To the people who’s saying he’s not a top manager, he went to Southampton and took them to a next level (realistically), then went to spurs and took them to a next level as well, I feel like if he goes to a big club, with the resources of big clubs, I feel like he’ll take some big clubs to the next level.

I would love him here, but unfortunately we’re always slow to react, and I’m expecting news of him agreeing to manage Bayern or somewhere else..

Reactions: SteveJ

Suedesi

What signs have we seen in almost a year, that's no exaggeration that Poch was going to turn it around? We aren't like United or Liverpool who being out of the CL wont matter, it does matter to us, it will hurt us much more.
I don't think you'll make the CL this year though, regardless of Mourinho.

You're currently 11 points off the Top Four, 12 if you consider that you'll never catch up City and that the more realistic hope is catching either Chelsea or Leicester should they flounder (and assuming that neither Arsenal, Man Utd or another team profits instead).

12 points to make up at is not impossible but extremely hard especially if Mourinho emphasizes winning something (FA Cup?) which may take its toll on the league campaign.

Pagh Wraith

I don't think many other managers would have got as much time as Poch did. Spurs' metrics have been terrible since 2018 and in 2019 results have caught up. Without that Champions League run he would have been under much more pressure much sooner. This has nothing do with disloyalty or small club mentality or similar nonsense that has been thrown around.

He did tremendous work at the club and deserves a chance at one of the big gigs now but it is absolutely the correct decision to make that change now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You didn't answer my question. What were the expectations of Poch when he got the Spurs job?

Yes he should have won a domestic cup here and there, however I highly doubt anyone actually expected them to be anywhere near that when he got the job, never mind reaching a CL final or finishing 2nd in the league. This is way too much hindsight for me. He got a job at a team who finishes 5th-6th each season. Who would put expectations for him to actually win anything?

I think the idea that he's convinced people to criticize him for not winning things there proves he built a pretty good team that raised the standards and thus the expectations from people to Spurs. What was the last time people were expecting Spurs to challenge for literally anything every season?
So by your rationale, Moyes is a fantastic manager due to his over achievement at Everton right?
I'm fairly certain Poch was not brought in 'to get close to trophies', he was brought in to build spurs into a title winning team.
Levy has been planning this for years, the stadium, the infrastructure, they thought they would be challenging for the title, they haven't and they aren't.
This is the fallacy and myth that has built up around Poch and Spurs, they have never challenged for the title!! When they finished second they were behind by a long way all season, when Leicester won the league Spurs crumbled and never got close. Ask yourself 'are united challenging for top four this season?' I bet you answer no, yet we are similar amount of points away to Spurs everyone they have 'challenged' for the title!

el3mel

So by your rationale, Moyes is a fantastic manager due to his over achievement at Everton right?
I'm fairly certain Poch was not brought in 'to get close to trophies', he was brought in to build spurs into a title winning team.
Levy has been planning this for years, the stadium, the infrastructure, they thought they would be challenging for the title, they haven't and they aren't.
This is the fallacy and myth that has built up around Poch and Spurs, they have never challenged for the title!! When they finished second they were behind by a long way all season, when Leicester won the league Spurs crumbled and never got close. Ask yourself 'are united challenging for top four this season?' I bet you answer no, yet we are similar amount of points away to Spurs everyone they have 'challenged' for the title!
I doubt anyone was thinking Moyes was doing a terrible job at Everton back then. He even brought them to a top 4 finish at one point (though they got knocked out in qualification matches). The last time before that to finish top 4 for them was in 1988.

So if Levy brought him for the sole reasons of winning titles why didn't he sack him at any point of these previous 5 years when he didn't deliver them?