Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
It was smart of him to bring on a defender when they went a man down, its better to limit the damage here and have a go in the next game.

Barnslig

PSG have some rough luck. They have the best attackers in the world yet can't seem to get the job done when it matters.
(One of the) best attacker in Mbappe. That's about it. Neymar has shown time and time again he doesn't give a feck anymore. Yes he'll do some fancy flick and people around the world will do their best shocked Pikachu face, and then he'll proceed to do sweet feck all.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It was a defensive 442. I understand you don't go toe to toe with Pep in midfield but you could have just copied Ole's template. Pretty sure it had some success. Ole had success by playing both 352 and 4231

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It was a defensive 442. I understand you don't go toe to toe with Pep in midfield but you could have just copied Ole's template. Pretty sure it had some success. Ole had success by playing both 352 and 4231
But if you listen to half the muppets on this forum, ole doesn’t know what he’s doing. 4 wins to peps 3 say otherwise... t

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
But if you listen to half the muppets on this forum, ole doesn’t know what he’s doing. 4 wins to peps 3 say otherwise... t
Ole's problem has never been on big games though. He is a master at defend and counter.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Poch really is the second best manager!!

To manage PSG this season.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
(One of the) best attacker in Mbappe. That's about it. Neymar has shown time and time again he doesn't give a feck anymore. Yes he'll do some fancy flick and people around the world will do their best shocked Pikachu face, and then he'll proceed to do sweet feck all.
Neymar was excellent in the first half. It's harsh to blame him for the second half shitshow when they couldn't evade the press and get him on the ball at all.

RooneyLegend

PSG have some rough luck. They have the best attackers in the world yet can't seem to get the job done when it matters.
They can't get the rest of the team to play at the required level so end up getting as far as those attackers get them.

lysglimt

Scout
It's probably a bit harsh to judge him on his time at PSG so far given he had no preseason and took over in a weird season with Covid but I'm not sure he's an upgrade on Tuchel and overall I do agree with you that so far he's proven to be a very good manager but not one of the elite managers (at least yet) despite people wanting to anoint him as one.
Yes and no - when you take over a team like he has at PSG - you should at least be expected to win the league fairly easily. With all due respect to Lyon and Lille, they should not be anywhere near PSG. If we take Lille - every single season, they lose 1-2 quality players - and have 3 seasons in a row had a positive net spending of €40-60 million. Bissouma, Pepe, Thiago Mendes, Rafael Leao, Gabriel and Victor Osimhen - some of the players they have lost over the last 3 years - still they are able to fight PSG for the title.

And as I wrote someplace else - Pochettino has a really bad record when it comes to transfers. During his last 3 seasons at Spurs he spent close to £200 million on 9 players, where none of them are regulars today (Sissoko, Jansen, Wanyama, Sanchez, Moura, Nkoudou, Foyth etc)

And I stand by what I have written before - he was lucky at Southampton, because they had turned the corner with a very talented squad when they decided to fire Adkins. After an awful start with 8 defeats in 10, they fired Adkins after 4 wins, 6 draws and 2 defeats in the next 12 games (one of the defeats away to Liverpool). So he took over a very good side who were on the way up - Clyne, Schneiderlin, Shaw, Davis. Lallana, Cork, Fonte, Lambert etc

And as for Tottenham - they had Kane didnt they ? I think people underestimate how much a striker who generally scores 30 league goals effects the position in the table. Of course Pochettino deserves credit for Kane, but I think Kane has done more for Spurs than Pochettino ever did.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We have a fantastic record v non top 6 sides since Bruno came in. We havent been defend and counter for a long time now.
We weren’t really defend and counter the last time we beat city, same when we beat them in the league cup. Some countering but wouldn’t call that what we mainly did.

Bwuk

I wasn’t paying full attention to the game but Verrattis position looked weird to me. Out on the left a lot.

They should of killed the tie in the first half.Di Maria was very good. Mbappe anonymous.

Marwood

PSG were simply not set up well enough to better City. Plus they were very wasteful with their chances.
I thought they got it spot on in the first half. Apart from a couple of moments they got it forward quickly, closed City down quickly. Almost perfect.

Second half they panicked and sat way too deep too early. They should have carried on as they were.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't understand why PSG are so fragile. There's something about their dressing room culture or spirit that's off. Maybe the CL thing has become too much of a desperation and seen off many managers, that it's taken its toll.

cyberman

I don't understand why PSG are so fragile. There's something about their dressing room culture or spirit that's off. Maybe the CL thing has become too much of a desperation and seen off many managers, that it's taken its toll.
They arent fragile, they're just not very good.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
If you don’t think Neymar is one of the best attackers in the world then I’d suggest that you choose another sport to follow (maybe tennis?) because you clearly don’t have much of a clue about this one

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Lack of competition in domestic league.
They are a bunch of snowflakes.
Seen this argument many places and it’s quite obviously nonsense. Last night Jason Cundy on the radio was trying to say that City have better conditioning than PSG because their league games are tougher every week. If that’s so, then why don’t Man City win the Champions League every year? Instead of losing to teams like Lyon? People need to drop the silly bias and really think about what they’re saying.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
It’s nothing to do with any of that IMO. The last team to win the Champions League/European Cup for the first time in their history was Chelsea in 2012. You’ll probably remember that they spent a bucketload of money and had numerous heartbreaking losses before they finally got over the hump. Before that, the last team to win it for the first time was Borussia Dortmund 25 years ago.

The Champions League (like the World Cup) tends to be won by teams that have won it before. Just check the list of winners. The reasons for this are debatable, but I think it’s a lot to do with belief and the notion that you have the ‘right’ to win it or that you ‘belong’ at the top table. Such feelings can permeate through a football club.

I think PSG and Man City have both had this problem to a large degree

Boavista

It’s nothing to do with any of that IMO. The last team to win the Champions League/European Cup for the first time in their history was Chelsea in 2012. You’ll probably remember that they spent a bucketload of money and had numerous heartbreaking losses before they finally got over the hump. Before that, the last team to win it for the first time was Borussia Dortmund 25 years ago.

The Champions League (like the World Cup) tends to be won by teams that have won it before. Just check the list of winners. The reasons for this are debatable, but I think it’s a lot to do with belief and the notion that you have the ‘right’ to win it or that you ‘belong’ at the top table. Such feelings can permeate through a football club.

I think PSG and Man City have both had this problem to a large degree
Yeah I think that plays a part, but the Champions League is just a very difficult trophy to win, and even the best teams need a good amount of luck. Hence you didn't see Barcelona win it more than they did, even though they were the best team around at the time, while Real Madrid won it several times without necessarily being the best team around. Generally I feel you need to be a good team for a sustained period of time until luck goes your way. There's a lot of teams who have already won it, and most of those teams still attract the best players so I think that explains why there's so rarely a new winner.

Anyway, it's crazy the recency bias we're seeing right now. Obviously the end result is what counts, but last night at half time everyone was gushing about PSG and how well they were playing. Then the other half goes City's way, and two somewhat fluky goals later PSG are rubbish. It's all really slim margins, even last year's final could have easily gone PSG's way and I wouldn't say the bottled it either.
I wonder what happened last night though. Did Pochettino instruct them to sit deeper in the 2nd half, thinking that would give them more space to counter? Maybe he knew they didn't have energy to keep going the way they did in the first half, but they completely lost control and just invited pressure.

rotherham_red

Cowardly and stupid tactics from Poch last night. Why the feck would you sit back on a 1-0 lead after 45 minutes when your defence is as poor as theirs is right now?

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Oh well, he still got a chance to win the league cup right? Won’t be suprised of he leaves Paris with zero titles. That would be an achievement itself :lol:

SER19

He mentioned city's physical condition last night. Still think rotating a team so easily for a full year, this year of all years, is such a huge advantage.

That said, a fully fit psg would have found a way to lose, they're just not very good

stu_1992

Oh well, he still got a chance to win the league cup right? Won’t be suprised of he leaves Paris with zero titles. That would be an achievement itself :lol:
The French League cup was discontinued this year so no longer exists, but they are in the semi Final of the French Cup and obviously right in the mix in the league, although not leading as you'd expect from PSG.

AgentSmith

Yeah I think that plays a part, but the Champions League is just a very difficult trophy to win, and even the best teams need a good amount of luck. Hence you didn't see Barcelona win it more than they did, even though they were the best team around at the time, while Real Madrid won it several times without necessarily being the best team around. Generally I feel you need to be a good team for a sustained period of time until luck goes your way. There's a lot of teams who have already won it, and most of those teams still attract the best players so I think that explains why there's so rarely a new winner.

Anyway, it's crazy the recency bias we're seeing right now. Obviously the end result is what counts, but last night at half time everyone was gushing about PSG and how well they were playing. Then the other half goes City's way, and two somewhat fluky goals later PSG are rubbish. It's all really slim margins, even last year's final could have easily gone PSG's way and I wouldn't say the bottled it either.
I wonder what happened last night though. Did Pochettino instruct them to sit deeper in the 2nd half, thinking that would give them more space to counter? Maybe he knew they didn't have energy to keep going the way they did in the first half, but they completely lost control and just invited pressure.
I think that’s a good assessment of the game. PSG were phenomenal in the 1st half but then looked like a different set of players in the 2nd and fatigue (maybe combined with Poch’s anticipation of fatigue) is the simplest explanation for that. Man City’s depth and ability to rotate seamlessly this season is unparalleled and a significant advantage over pretty much ever other club in Europe. The fact that they looked fresher in the 2nd half is part and parcel of that.

Pep definitely made some good adjustments to regain control of the match but City were still limited to dominance of the ball with little else. They didn’t really create anything of note until Navas gifted them a lifeline and then their wall inexplicably parted like the Red Sea for Moshez’s free kick. So I’d probably say PSG lost the game yesterday rather than City winning it with Gueye’s sending off kinda typifying that.

It should make for a great game next week though. An early PSG goal and City will feel that Champions League semi-final déjà vu again.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Seen this argument many places and it’s quite obviously nonsense. Last night Jason Cundy on the radio was trying to say that City have better conditioning than PSG because their league games are tougher every week. If that’s so, then why don’t Man City win the Champions League every year?
That's a bit of a high standard, no?

Manchester City have a higher club coefficient than PSG according to UEFA (City are 4th and PSG are 7th). Before last season PSG hadn't made it out of the R16 in 3 years. If City win it this year they'll be very comfortably above PSG.

I don't think the problem is the lack of competition in domestic league per se. But I do think that City care a lot more about domestic competition than PSG do.

Boavista

I think that’s a good assessment of the game. PSG were phenomenal in the 1st half but then looked like a different set of players in the 2nd and fatigue (maybe combined with Poch’s anticipation of fatigue) is the simplest explanation for that. Man City’s depth and ability to rotate seamlessly this season is unparalleled and a significant advantage over pretty much ever other club in Europe. The fact that they looked fresher in the 2nd half is part and parcel of that.

Pep definitely made some good adjustments to regain control of the match but City were still limited to dominance of the ball with little else. They didn’t really create anything of note until Navas gifted them a lifeline and then their wall inexplicably parted like the Red Sea for Moshez’s free kick. So I’d probably say PSG lost the game yesterday rather than City winning it with Gueye’s sending off kinda typifying that.

It should make for a great game next week though. An early PSG goal and City will feel that Champions League semi-final déjà vu again.
Yeah it's easy for me to say PSG shouldn't have given City so much control, when City are so good at taking control. In hindsight sitting back was the wrong thing to do, but on another day that could have been exactly the right approach. City would chase an away goal, and PSG could have sent Neymar and Mbappe on their way with a long ball. For the most part PSG were solid at the back. Even against Bayern, who threw the kitchen sink at them, they mostly conceded lots of half chances rather than huge chances.

It's true Guardiola's adjustments paid off, and they looked the fresher side, but overall I wasn't that impressed by City. They might be able to step it up when it matters, but they weren't that dangerous even in the second half. It was the same story against a depleted Dortmund side, who also kind of defeated themselves with their mistakes, although overall City were the better side.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That brittleness and petulance reared its head again last night. The way they just collapsed in the second half is something I thought they may have eradicated from their game. Seems not.

Terrible from the manager, too. To continue to persist in doing what they were doing even though it wasn't working is pretty poor. The number of times they dicked around with it at the back and continued to play their fellow teammates into danger was laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.