Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
This could be a worry but then he is better than Ole, has been wanted here for years by the hierarchy which isn't afraid of spending good money and we already have a good squad albeit one that needs some panel beating so he could break that barrier and deliver a trophy or two.
I mean the bars fairly low if the goal is to just want a manager better than Solskjaer. Bruce will do if that's the case. And the clubs hierarchy is just full of idiots - the fact that they've wanted him for years, is just a massive red flag.

Skills

Snitch
Do people believe Pochettino plays better football than Conte?

The narrative around Conte is that he's too defensive, and Pochettino is that he's the second coming.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He’ll be an excellent choice. His man management skills are top notch too and he’ll get a tune out of all of our younger players.

AneRu

I mean the bars fairly low if the goal is to just want a manager better than Solskjaer. Bruce will do if that's the case. And the clubs hierarchy is just full of idiots - the fact that they've wanted him for years, is just a massive red flag.
I don't deny that they are first grade idiots but even a broken clock is right twice a day and we have seen how they have backed Ole, a manager of their choice, to the hilt and he did do well until the wheels came off so anyone improving on that we have us challenging and winning trophies. If there is one thing Woodward and Fergie agree on it's their long held admiration for Pochettino so its very unlikely that he will come in to a divided house so he has a chance for success.

passing-wind

Poch lost the dressing room quite quick at PSG, eventually at spurs too. He wouldn't last long with our players either.
Same can be said for Tuchel. PSG is certainly a poor barometer to adequately judge a managers experiences. The club lacks a sense of authenticity most likely due to how short term their respective increased ambitions are. The players seem bigger than the club.

IrishRedDevil

Typical United - never went for him when he was free and available. Instead stuck with the P.E teacher. Always have to make it a saga and spend more £.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Blimey, didnt know he spent that much. That is alot of money.
It seems to be forgotten, or at least buried under the net spend argument.

At least he'll feel at home here if he comes I suppose :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
the fact that they've wanted him for years, is just a massive red flag.
Maybe they’ve wanted him for years simply because for years it’s been clear he’s a top manager?

I wouldn’t argue for one minute he’s one of the best ever but other than losing a CL final and a messy end to his Spurs career, what has he done to be disregarded as a top manager by so many? I genuinely don’t see it.

For such a young guy, he’s been around for what seems like a long time and over that time whatever team he’s been manager of has performed very well and overachieved in some respects.

His time at Espanyol and Southampton was very successful considering the resources he was working with and apart from the end at Spurs, he did do well even if he didn’t win a trophy.

Yes he got off to a patchy start at PSG but look at the team sheet, all those massive egos at a soulless club playing for money and nothing else. Now he’s walking away with the league. And if he can manage Neymar, Mbappe and Messi, the guy can manage anyone.

He has had a very good career so far and there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he won’t do well here.

For me, it would almost be a coin toss between Ten Hag and Poch but I’ve long admired Poch’s teams and how they work.

the_cliff

Maybe they’ve wanted him for years simply because for years it’s been clear he’s a top manager?

I wouldn’t argue for one minute he’s one of the best ever but other than losing a CL final and a messy end to his Spurs career, what has he done to be disregarded as a top manager by so many? I genuinely don’t see it.

For such a young guy, he’s been around for what seems like a long time and over that time whatever team he’s been manager of has performed very well and overachieved in some respects.

His time at Espanyol and Southampton was very successful considering the resources he was working with and apart from the end at Spurs, he did do well even if he didn’t win a trophy.

Yes he got off to a patchy start at PSG but look at the team sheet, all those massive egos at a soulless club playing for money and nothing else. Now he’s walking away with the league. And if he can manage Neymar, Mbappe and Messi, the guy can manage anyone.

He has had a very good career so far and there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he won’t do well here.

For me, it would almost be a coin toss between Ten Hag and Poch but I’ve long admired Poch’s teams and how they work.
He's had the best (result wise) start to the season in a long time, they're 11 points ahead in the league, unbeaten in the champions league despite having City and Leipzig in the group. PSG fans just don't like him because they want champagne football and to win ever game 4-0 which isn't going to happen with how unbalanced that team is. Even Zidane won't get them winning 4-0 every game. PSG fans are very entitled considering they only became relevant in 2011.

Last edited:
Yeah my bad. Doesn't mean it's not a very silly way to analyse a coach's performance though.
He outperformed both Tuchel (and Lille’s points per game over the season), that points per game over the season would have won you the league.
So however you spin it, Tuchel’s period was more at fault for you not winning the league last season, and Tuchel is clearly a top manager.

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

Do people believe Pochettino plays better football than Conte?

The narrative around Conte is that he's too defensive, and Pochettino is that he's the second coming.
Yes? Miles better? Nobody who watched spurs in that champions League run would have said they played shit football.

Even getting our team to put 100% in would be enough for me, frankly. They didn't do it for Jose (fair enough, he was toxic). They didn't do it for Ole (too nice). If they do it for Poch that is a good start.

Lyng

Typical United - never went for him when he was free and available. Instead stuck with the P.E teacher. Always have to make it a saga and spend more £.
Could we please not use that phrase about Ole. He did a lot of good in the first two years and is a United man through and through. Yes ultimately he wasnt good enough to get us to where we need to be, but no need for personal attacks.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Poch with Carrick as No2 - Think I would accept that
Jesus Perez says no.

I think we should get rid of everyone from Ole’s team. They did not do a good job and we need fresh air and ideas.

GueRed

I remember advocating the move for him back in 2019 after Ole's caretaker spell.
FFS Should've went for him then!

Has that shipped sailed?...

Maybe not with some members of the board.... According to reports he still seems a popular choice...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's had the best (result wise) start to the season in a long time, they're 11 points ahead in the league, unbeaten in the champions league despite having City and Leipzig in the group. PSG fans just don't like him because they want champagne football and to win ever game 4-0 which isn't going to happen with how unbalanced that team is. Even Zidane won't get them winning 4-0 every game. PSG fans are very entitled considering they only became relevant in 2011.
Why people do that? PSG are currently the worst to watch under QSI, it's not fair to go after the fans since everyone journalist and neutral fans included have said for almost a year. And their team isn't unbalanced.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Poch doesn't fancy that PSG dressing room much, they're talking about getting Zidane in. If PSG can replace him, will definitely be the next Utd manager?

SER19

Poch lost the dressing room quite quick at PSG, eventually at spurs too. He wouldn't last long with our players either.
He was 5 years at spurs to be fair and the issue at psg seems to be that the dressing room can't be gained in first place. Tuchel was sacked the same year he won a CL. Not having a go but this feels like bias on your part clouding reality

JPRouve

Scout
He was 5 years at spurs to be fair and the issue at psg seems to be that the dressing room can't be gained in first place. Tuchel was sacked the same year he won a CL. Not having a go but this feels like bias on your part clouding reality
Tuchel had the dressing room, his issue was with Leonardo and the fact that Tuchel would randomly vent his transfers problem during press conferences, then you have the Demba Ba issue where he allegedly didn't side with his players. And it's fair to mention that Tuchel had similar issues at Dortmund.

SER19

Tuchel had the dressing room, his issue was with Leonardo and the fact that Tuchel would randomly vent his transfers problem during press conferences, then you have the Demba Ba issue where he allegedly didn't side with his players. And it's fair to mention that Tuchel had similar issues at Dortmund.
Fair point re tuchel but what evidence is there pochettino has 'lost the dressing room'. The one stacked with players he didn't ask for and is forced to play. They're running away with league and looked v good beating City.

crossy1686

career ending
Your point is? Sir Alex came from Scotland.

If you're good enough, you're good enough. The fact that you're stuck in a farmers league is absolutely irrelevant. Just look at Tuchel for example.

Also what did Rodgers do at Celtic? Did they hammer Real Madrid, Juve, Dortmund? ETH has his European record that speaks for him. Poch also has a very respectable European record. The difference is the way they play. And that for me is the reason I want ETH here instead of Poch.
SAF came from Scotland in a time when the league was actually competitive, not in a time when the league was shit.

So the whole pitch for hiring Ten Hag is that he beat some big teams who've been struggling in Europe? And if Ajax go out of the CL this year in the next round does that mean he shouldn't be hired anymore?

I can understand people wanting to hire him based on the system he implements but there's no evidence to suggest he would be able to handle a club like United or the competitiveness of the PL. Let him go to Germany or Italy first and manager a top 6 team there, he isn't going to walk into an elite club job any time soon.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair point re tuchel but what evidence is there pochettino has 'lost the dressing room'. The one stacked with players he didn't ask for and is forced to play. They're running away with league and looked v good beating City.
There is no evidence and no one should suggest that either. And I'm yet to see a PSG manager forced to play anyone, he simply can't get a tune out of players that are different to what he is used to and hasn't adapted his system to the player at his disposal. Also allegedly the player that Pochettino didn't want was Aurier, I don't know why people think that he didn't want Hakimi, Wijnaldum, Ramos or Messi.

captaincantona

SAF came from Scotland in a time when the league was actually competitive, not in a time when the league was shit.

So the whole pitch for hiring Ten Hag is that he beat some big teams who've been struggling in Europe? And if Ajax go out of the CL this year in the next round does that mean he shouldn't be hired anymore?

I can understand people wanting to hire him based on the system he implements but there's no evidence to suggest he would be able to handle a club like United or the competitiveness of the PL. Let him go to Germany or Italy first and manager a top 6 team there, he isn't going to walk into an elite club job any time soon.
Ten Hag has shown he can work with players of varying quality and experience and get them to play in system that can compete at the highest levels in Europe despite their individual limitations. Klopp has turned a midfield of Henderson, Milner, Curtis Jones, Keita and Fabinho into actual world beaters...because they are drilled to playing in a particular system. Most of all, when one player is missing the whole shape of the team doesn’t have to change.

it’s quite clear that Man Utd have a superior squad to Ajax...if Ten Hag could get these individuals playing in a system where stars could be swapped and interchangeable without losing quaility of performance...we become less reliant on individuals and start looking like a cohesive team again.

there are no guarantees with new managers but Tan Hag is the clearest candidate for that type of project and it’s easy to see why some Utd fans crave that type of setup and use of a squad.

largelyworried

But he did spend a huge amount of money.

£400m, that's huge no matter which two ways you look at it.

Especially for a club like Spurs, who don't really sit at the top table when it comes to expenditure.

The money only really dried up towards the latter transfer windows when the stadium costs hit home.
Talk about agenda posting. This is the transfer spending list from 2014 to 2020. (And it includes Bergwijn, who was bought after he left mid season).

And this was salaries from his final full year in charge (Salaries in light blue, turnover in dark blue)

Spurs were dwarfed by their rivals on both transfers and salaries, they were basically a mid-table club in terms of spend.

Skills

Snitch
I don't deny that they are first grade idiots but even a broken clock is right twice a day and we have seen how they have backed Ole, a manager of their choice, to the hilt and he did do well until the wheels came off so anyone improving on that we have us challenging and winning trophies. If there is one thing Woodward and Fergie agree on it's their long held admiration for Pochettino so its very unlikely that he will come in to a divided house so he has a chance for success.
And the other thing is just giving underperforming managers time.

I'll be honest, this one's frustrating for me - because we're doing the same thing again. We're going for the boring, obvious option because the decision makers have decided he's "the man". The decision is once again based on a personality, rather than his technical expertise/potential.

Once this one doesn't work out as well, half the fanbase will decide we just need to give the managers job to Terry the kitman on a 20 year contract, because he gets the club and world class managers like LVG, Mourinho and Poch failed too.

hungrywing

I think Ten Hag is the more progressive appointment. He has the potential, and I underline the word potential, to rival the very top managers. I think Pochettino is a little short of that but I would say he’s a slightly safer bet.

If you absolutely put me on the spot I would take Ragnick now and Ten Hag in the summer. Also in the hope Ragnick impressed, moved to a DOF role and dovetailed well with Ten Hag.

As for ratings, little clue. Maybe Poch with a PA of 180 and a CA of 175 and Ten Hag with a CA of 170 and a PA of 185. But I feel kind of silly even saying that. For reference I’d give Klopp and Guardiola 190. Numbers are irrelevant. It’s the concept.
I totally get what you mean. And 50-some percent of the caf feels it too.

That feeling that Poch is a shade or two below Pep/Klopp level while Ten Hag is already there or, if not there yet, will definitely get there with the right collaboration.

Skills

Snitch
Also didn't he get Spurs to remove their DOF a few seasons after he was hired? He doesn't like working under that structure. So again, are we going to make up another hybrid role where our head coach isn't going to be reporting to Murtough?

JPRouve

Scout
Good post. People need to watch this and the other videos from that same interview. It's very revealing how he got Spurs punching above their weight for a long time.
I don't get this, we can say that he has done a good job at Tottenham but he didn't make them punch above their weight. He had a starting eleven of high level internationals, including the best striker in the league and France captain as goalkeeper. For some reason people are blind to what Pochettino actually had, if there is one thing that should be said about Tottenham and it's not really something relevant for us, is that they somehow managed to keep that much quality with a relatively small wage bill that's not replicable for United or any bigger club and it's not relevant in how you evaluate Pochettino because the wage bill didn't take starting talents away from his team outside of Walker.

Pochettino is a good coach and he has done a good job at Tottenham but lets not go too far with the praises.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't get this, we can say that he has done a good job at Tottenham but he didn't make them punch above their weight. He had a starting eleven of high level internationals, including the best striker in the league and France captain. For some reason people are blind to what Pochettino actually had, if there is one thing that should be said about Tottenham and it's not really something relevant for us is that they somehow managed to keep that much quality with a relatively small wage bill that's not replicable for United or any bigger club and it's not relevant in how you evaluate Pochettino because the wage bill didn't take starting talents away from his team outside of Walker.

Pochettino is a good coach and he has done a good job at Tottenham but lets not go too far with the praises.
Getting to a UCL final was punching above their weight even with Kane, Lloris and Son.

Xaviboy

I remember watching Poch spurs team and at time had Dembele in the midfield. He was class. Do we have anyone in our midfield that can do what he done? Can carry the ball forward, drive from midfield.

Can see Poch upgrading our midfield 1st then and right full back. Will he bring Tripper in????

JPRouve

Scout
Getting to a UCL final was punching above their weight even with Kane, Lloris and Son.
They did it once, it's a cup these things happen. His next best results over 6 seasons is the round of 16 whether we talk about CL or EL. If we evaluate his tenure surely we can't really do it with outliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.