Pogba Future

Would you accept Dybala and Sandro for Pogba?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Pretty sure Aguero was banging them in for atletico at a similar rate who are generally the 3rd best team in Spain while he is now playing up top for the best team in the premiership who are averaging silly point and silly goals per season now so hardly a fair comparison.
Well, he wasn't, and even discounting Aguero there are clearly loads of other examples you can use.

You can't just say "the PL is more compeitive so players will score less/provide less/whatever" because even if it is more competitive (and up until last season, it really was not, because most teams who won the league ran away with it and PL teams were absolutely diabolical in Europe) there are way more factors that determine what league a player is suited to for scoring goals.

I'd say right now, at this moment there's an argument to be made that the PL is again the world's strongest league, but it wasn't for most of this decade and regardless it tends to have zero relevance to how many goals a player will score in a league or not, across the top 3 or 4 leagues at least.

Lentwood

Yeah I mean all those goals and assists are really awful :(
What if those 30-odd goals/assists cost us 10 goals at the other end AND we could buy three/four other players with the money who would contribute 20-25 goals/assists EACH?

Nowhere do I knock Pogba as a player, I just don't think he suits a high-energy, high-press system in a relatively flawed side

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you click it takes you to a website that shows a very very similar same galaxy ouput per league season. There are no huge variations.
So you are going to completely ignore the fact that you talked about a rate and that the rates in both leagues are vastly different, because the amounts of minutes played per seaons are different. Aguero record is a lot better in the PL and I already gave you the rates.

fergiesarmy1

So you are going to completely ignore the fact that you talked about a rate and that the rates in both leagues are vastly different, because the amounts of minutes played per seaons are different. Aguero record is a lot better in the PL and I already gave you the rates.
I already said forget minutes per goal, he was playing for atletico once they go 1-0 up they shut up shop generally. The most he has scored in the premiership is 26, the most he scored in Spain before he hit his prime was 20. Hardly different galaxy

Massive Spanner

You don’t see anyone banging 40/50

I already said forget minutes per goal, he was playing for atletico once they go 1-0 up they shut up shop generally. The most he has scored in the premiership is 26, the most he scored in Spain before he hit his prime was 20. Hardly different galaxy
who bangs in 40/50 in other leagues apart from Ronaldo and Messi? You're running out of excuses now.

fergiesarmy1

who bangs in 40/50 in other leagues apart from Ronaldo and Messi? You're running out of excuses now.
Suarez doesn’t do too bad out there either.

Anyway if you all really believe Spain, France and Germany are as competitive from 1st to bottom of each league you carry on.

Massive Spanner

Suarez doesn’t do too bad out there either.

Anyway if you all really believe Spain, France and Germany are as competitive from 1st to bottom of each league you carry on.
Suarez goals per minutes was as good in the PL in his last season as any season in La Liga - no surprises seeing as he was basically the world's best striker at his peak in both, almost as if which league you play in doesn't actually matter that much?

Also I never said in my original post that the PL wasn't competitive, I said it was nonsense to suggest that "every player looks better abroad", there's plenty of evidence out there to prove it's bullshit, I've given you that, and you've no retort, so let's leave it there eh?

JPRouve

Scout
Why would I forget it when you compared rates and when he wasn't playing for Simeone and they weren't a particularly defensive team, so I'm not sure why you want to consider them as a 1-0 team.

Denis' cuff

Seems like he’s making conciliatory noises now the Madrid move appears to be off and could also well be next year if ZZ leaves. Even if he doesn’t leave, it appears Pereira doesn’t want Pogba anyway. As long as we make some positive strides as a team, I think he’d be happy to stay. I’m sure his agent wants the move more than Pogba does and keeps pushing it.

Trouble with selling him for 150m is that we’d be lucky to see 50m of it whilst the owners trouser the rest, like they did with Lukaku. A blind man could see that coming the way they stalled the move so “we didn’t have time” buy a replacement.

fergiesarmy1

Suarez goals per minutes was as good in the PL in his last season as any season in La Liga - no surprises seeing as he was basically the world's best striker at his peak in both, almost as if which league you play in doesn't actually matter that much?

Also I never said in my original post that the PL wasn't competitive, I said it was nonsense to suggest that "every player looks better abroad", there's plenty of evidence out there to prove it's bullshit, I've given you that, and you've no retort, so let's leave it there eh?

Don’t recall saying every player looks better abroad either, I am saying there are a lot more games classed as gimmies especially for the likes of PSG and Bayern than in the premiership.

Really can’t see how you can argue against it but as I said if that what you believe you carry on.

Massive Spanner

Don’t recall saying every player looks better abroad either, I am saying there are a lot more games classed as gimmies especially for the likes of PSG and Bayern than in the premiership.

Really can’t see how you can argue against it but as I said if that what you believe you carry on.
:confused: you quoted me saying that what I said was "nonsense" wasn't nonsense. Read the original post I quoted, maybe? Basically you did agree with him, so you did say that.

I also do disagree with that considering the points tallies of City and Pool last season, they had it every bit as easy as PSG, Bayern, Barca. It just depends on the standard of the team at the end of the day. The PL was more competitive before because our big teams were shit, not because the league itself was any better. However at this moment in time I do think it's probably the best again, partly because La Liga isn't as strong as it was.

fergiesarmy1

:confused: you quoted me saying that what I said was "nonsense" wasn't nonsense. Read the original post I quoted, maybe? Basically you did agree with him, so you did say that.

I also do disagree with that considering the points tallies of City and Pool last season, they had it every bit as easy as PSG, Bayern, Barca. It just depends on the standard of the team at the end of the day. The PL was more competitive before because our big teams were shit, not because the league itself was any better. However at this moment in time I do think it's probably the best again, partly because La Liga isn't as strong as it was.

Maybe city and possibly Liverpool are now doing what Barca/PSG and BAyern have been doing in their league for many years but the premiership is still the toughest league to play in in my view.

Can’t remember the last time united had a gimmie anyway :lol:

SATA

Ours :drool:

I am also genuinely curious why people say he will definitely leave next year. As long as we show ambition in the transfer market and buy the right players, it will convince him to stay longer. This summer we have fixed the defence, next we will fix the midfield and attack and so on. We are on the right path

I am also genuinely curious why people say he will definitely leave next year. As long as we show ambition in the transfer market and buy the right players, it will convince him to stay longer. This summer we have fixed the defence, next we will fix the midfield and attack and so on. We are on the right path
I agree, I think there's more chance of him renewing his contract.

MDFC Manager

The analogy is, get with someone who cheated on their partner and they might cheat on you too. Pogba might give everything to his relationship with Utd but his head will always be easily be turned. Irrespective of what he might want, Real couldn't afford him. I suspect the price will be high next year too and depends on Real's fortunes, there might be competing priorities that they need to spend the money on next year too.
Yes but in this analogy, our situation is that we desperately need the sex this partner provides, so we need to keep them as long as possible.

RedDevilUnited369

Nah... you will start to see more and more players running down their contracts like Ramsey. Otherwise players get stuck like Zaha & Coutinho right now.

Unless we make an actual title challenge this season or we offer him £500k a week he won’t sign a new contract.

He’s at that age where trophies matter.

red thru&thru

This has to couple with Madrid being in free fall, for us to keep Pogba. But yes, we have to match not only his, but the clubs supporters ambitions too.

I just really hope the players are back by the supporters too, which they generally are.

JPRouve

Scout
This has to couple with Madrid being in free fall, for us to keep Pogba. But yes, we have to match not only his, but the clubs supporters ambitions too.

I just really hope the players are back by the supporters too, which they generally are.
In my opinion Madrid are irrelevant because Pogba is more an obsession for Zidane than Madrid is for Pogba. It's all about us and our ability to convince players that we are on the right path.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

He wants to win major trophies and make lots of money. Real Madrid offers him that more than we do. There is nothing romantic about duking it out for the EL and top 4 trophy. As much as I love De Gea, he most likely would have won several CL's with Madrid than staying with us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What was the logic of Madrids offer of £28 million plus Colombia striker James Rodriguez?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever, especially since even as fans we know that Woodward had set c.£150m transfer fee.

SaintMuppet

if we are as crap as last season he will be off, that’s about the sum of it.

People need to be waiting to see how the season pans out to be seeing what Pogba will be upto.

Gandalf

What was the logic of Madrids offer of £28 million plus Colombia striker James Rodriguez?

Makes no sense to me whatsoever, especially since even as fans we know that Woodward had set c.£150m transfer fee.
Not a lot of logic. That bid seemed if anything to be about the relationship between Perez and Zidane. Zidane by all accounts made it clear that Pogba was his first priority and yet no deal was done which has seemingly been the source of some friction between the two even to the extent that some people are speculating that Zidane might walk. I assume Perez figured he would make a derisory bid just to cover his ass so that he could genuinely claim that he tried and we turned him down.

UncleBob

Not a lot of logic. That bid seemed if anything to be about the relationship between Perez and Zidane. Zidane by all accounts made it clear that Pogba was his first priority and yet no deal was done which has seemingly been the source of some friction between the two even to the extent that some people are speculating that Zidane might walk. I assume Perez figured he would make a derisory bid just to cover his ass so that he could genuinely claim that he tried and we turned him down.
It's not the 4th grade.

Zidane isn't stupid.

Oldyella

Pogba is like a fish up a tree in this United team. We don't get the best out of him and in turn, he isn't really the player we need right now

Undoubtedly a world-class player in the right system, I just cant help but feel that if we could get £130m-£150m, plus the Lukaku money (£75m), plus whatever is in the kitty for next Summer anyway, we could buy 4 top, top players in the positions we are badly lacking and have a real crack at top 2/3
Can't say I agree, we want to be adding quality not selling our better players, but even if I did, so we really think Ole would get all that money to spend? We haven't even spent this year's rumoured budget and Lukaku fee.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
In my opinion Madrid are irrelevant because Pogba is more an obsession for Zidane than Madrid is for Pogba. It's all about us and our ability to convince players that we are on the right path.
Exactly. If we get back on the right track then I'm convinced Pogba would be willing to sign a new bumper contract.

Get back in the CL next season while once again being competitive for the league title with further signs of improvement and stability, I'm sure if offered a huge bump in contract(which is what he'd likely be offered by the club for renewal), he'd take it.

Gandalf

It's not the 4th grade.

Zidane isn't stupid.
I didn't say he was stupid, Zidane clearly knows the offer made was ridiculous. When I say Perez is covering his ass it is more with the fans and the media, the only thing that matters is that if Zidane walks Perez can honestly claim that he tried to sign Pogba and paint Zidane as the bad guy, it doesn't matter if the offer was a good one or not.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I think it's pretty simple, if Zidane is still at Real next summer then Pogba goes. If Zidane is sacked Pogba stays and probably signs a new contract

UncleBob

I didn't say he was stupid, Zidane clearly knows the offer made was ridiculous. When I say Perez is covering his ass it is more with the fans and the media, the only thing that matters is that if Zidane walks Perez can honestly claim that he tried to sign Pogba and paint Zidane as the bad guy, it doesn't matter if the offer was a good one or not.
Christ.

No.

Zidane isn't stupid, he knows that it doesn't matter if he's high priority as long as the player isn't available on the market, and as i've said since way before the summer, Pogba isn't on the market.

Perez isn't covering his ass, and if there's one thing Real Madrid don't do it's make bids that gets turned down. They make approaches and only make an official offer when they know it gets accepted.

Rish Sawhney

I think it's pretty simple, if Zidane is still at Real next summer then Pogba goes. If Zidane is sacked Pogba stays and probably signs a new contract
That would be the stupidest thing from Pogba if he went just based on the assumption that he'd like to work with Zidane when the history of Real Madrid suggests he won't last that long even if he's there next summer. Pogba should also consider that the next obvious guy to come in would be Mourinho.

Gasolin

Christ.

No.

Zidane isn't stupid, he knows that it doesn't matter if he's high priority as long as the player isn't available on the market, and as i've said since way before the summer, Pogba isn't on the market.

Perez isn't covering his ass, and if there's one thing Real Madrid don't do it's make bids that gets turned down. They make approaches and only make an official offer when they know it gets accepted.
The RM I know usually tries to unsettle players and club by creating a drift, and then put a low ball offer... there is no way RM pays over the odds most of the time so... yes, I can see them making an offer that gets turned down.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That would be the stupidest thing from Pogba if he went just based on the assumption that he'd like to work with Zidane when the history of Real Madrid suggests he won't last that long even if he's there next summer. Pogba should also consider that the next obvious guy to come in would be Mourinho.
I didn't say Pogba's motivation would be Zidane did I, Zidane's the one pushing for Pogba right now whereas Real themselves seemingly aren't convinced by him.

My point is if Zidane is still there next summer then I expect Real to go all out for Pogba but if Zidane has gone then unless the next man also wants Pogba then I don't expect there still to be interest from Madrid

Rish Sawhney

I didn't say Pogba's motivation would be Zidane did I, Zidane's the one pushing for Pogba right now whereas Real themselves seemingly aren't convinced by him.

My point is if Zidane is still there next summer then I expect Real to go all out for Pogba but if Zidane has gone then unless the next man also wants Pogba then I don't expect there still to be interest from Madrid
I wasn't disagreeing with your post relax.

I was just saying it might explain why Pogba really hasn't kicked up much of a fuss for this move. Honestly from a professional point of view I'm not sure I understand it even. Barca, Juve, PSG, even Bayern makes sense. But why Madrid? Why drop a rebuild job for another rebuild job? One where the fans are a lot more ungrateful in general as well?

fps

Nah... you will start to see more and more players running down their contracts like Ramsey. Otherwise players get stuck like Zaha & Coutinho right now.

Unless we make an actual title challenge this season or we offer him £500k a week he won’t sign a new contract.

He’s at that age where trophies matter.
Yes, more and more players are realising that running the contract down means no transfer fee and more money for them.

Gandalf

Christ.

No.

Fair enough, I assume you have some links to the club as you speak with such authority on the matter. The Independant and the Spanish media would disagree with you but I bow to your wisdom.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...r-united-la-liga-season-preview-a9054236.html

Crashoutcassius

Anyone think we should just offer him a new, large contract? If sanchez left it paves the way for me. I know he is making noises but 100s of times this exact situation is resolved by a new contract... Madrid can't afford him and zidane may not even be there in 6 months

UncleBob

The RM I know usually tries to unsettle players and club by creating a drift, and then put a low ball offer... there is no way RM pays over the odds most of the time so... yes, I can see them making an offer that gets turned down.
They unsettle the player so that he does his bit and then they haggle over the price, i can't remember the last time they made a bid that was actually turned down, doesn't suit their image, they don't make offers until they know the player is coming. They aren't in the business of looking like idiots ala Inter with Lukaku.