Pogba suspended for alleged anti-doping offence | Banned for 4 years

bringbackbebe

Did Kleberson star as high as Pogba ? No. Did Kleberson have a better club career than Pogba ? No. Pogba is the poster boy for inconsistency but to call him average with social media is plain dumb
Pogba had 2 good years and 1 great year with Juventus and may be one good year with us. He's also had 5 bad years with us, 1 bad year at Juventus and now is accused of doping. Add his attitude on top of that.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Pogba was a great player, but a difficult personality.
Nah, he was decent in a certain system. Lacked the basics, lost the ball far too much for any midfielder, had very little pace, dribbling was quite average, couldn't play in tight areas consistently, also wasn't as strong as people made out. Another player who was suited to the football played 20 years ago.

Could ping a pass and make an assist, occasional long shot but that was it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I swear the CAF has some very bitter and miserable people that get a laugh out of people being down.

For all the issues Pogba has had, he’s playing career is still better than 90% of most pro players. Should have been better for sure, but still had a top career call things considered.

Most of us chat from our screens but have never played the game at the highest level.
Purely because of his world cup win, take that out and it's very average.

Hell, Giroud has a better career.

TsuWave

Initially sure I believe that. The moment Riola started demanding numbers is when SAF completely froze him out to the point where we had that famous line up against Arsenal and he still couldn’t get a game

He could see where is head was at and wasn’t going to bow to his request
What you’re writing is fanfiction.

Evra even went further and said Ferguson was so displeased and spent days trying to get him to stay he looked as though he was losing sleep over it.

Pogba was kept out of the team because he had already made his mind up. There’s no need to rewrite stuff. He left, became a very good player, we bought him back and it never paid out the way it should have. It’s OK. He’s not a United player any longer.

Castia

Evra even went further and said Ferguson was so displeased and spent days trying to get him to stay he looked as though he was losing sleep over it.

Pogba was kept out of the team because he had already made his mind up.
I remember clearly reports that Ferguson had fallen out with Riola and they even had a public spat with Ferguson branding him a ‘shitbag’

Ferguson wanted the player to stay without a doubt and if Evra says players were trying to convince him then I’ll take that as truth but you’re trying to say he moved on for footballing reasons rather than United not willing to pay what was well over the average wage of a player his age? No chance I’m not having that SAF wasn’t going to have a young player with barely any first team action and his agent dictate his squad he froze him and and let him leave after that

Want me to get you links to the Ferguson/Riola fall out from back then to sum this discussion up?

Last edited:

Wheato

"Man Utd held my career back. Now it is time for me to show everyone what I can really do....."

Hughes35

It's just, you people insistent on doping sound like classic conspiracy theorists.
Hardly. Doping isn't some conspiracy.

It's been proven to be rife in athletics / cycling etc where the money is so much less than football and the testing is better. The chances that it isn't widespread in football (Who are run by openly corrupt organisations) is minuscule.

TsuWave

Ferguson wanted the player to stay without a doubt and if Evra says players were trying to convince him then I’ll take that as truth but you’re trying to say he moved on for footballing reasons rather than United not willing to pay what was well over the average wage of a player his age? No chance I’m not having that

Want me to get you links to the Ferguson/Riola fall out from back then to sum this discussion up?
I’m not trying to say that at all, in fact - at no point in our exchange have I touched on “why” he left. All I said is that Ferguson “taking 2 minutes to see who he is and getting rid of Pogba” is a myth, because Ferguson himself, Pogba and members of the squad at the time are all on record saying Ferguson did the utmost to keep him including sending said players to Pogba’s house to convince him to stay.

Pogba was clearly a special talent, though that didn’t always translate to consistency, and it’s understandable why Ferguson would want and try to hold on to him. It would have been negligent not to do so.

I get it, there’s frustration and disappointment when speaking of Pogba, but he’s no longer a United player - some of the anger/resentment towards an academy graduate has to at some point abate. He’s been struggling with his body for years. Sadly, it’s how it goes with football sometimes.

DuruttiColumn

I dunno, I remember one of our players coming back from a broken leg and dislocated ankle in 4 months, ripped to shreds with traps bulging out around his ears….

m1tch

This is probably why SAF let him go without much of a fuss.

That dressing room at lingard, Pogba, and lukaku must have been a toxic mix.

Not the role models the younger players needed.
Reading what Phelan said about the old United dressing room you can see how much it changed between the two Ronaldo stints. I think there lies the explanation of why we've never come close to competing at the highest level since SAF and the loss of that last squad, the squad has been beset with players with lower standards over the years and even with new players and young players coming in they've not found a higher level at the club to get themselves up to, they've found the opposite. As you've said, probably players like Lukaku Pogba and Lingard have contributed to a continuity of lower than needed standards that's going to take time to turn around based upon Phelan describing some players' reactions to Ronaldo's demands for more (assuming they're still at the club).

DuruttiColumn

It's been proven to be rife in athletics / cycling etc where the money is so much less than football and the testing is better. The chances that it isn't widespread in football (Who are run by openly corrupt organisations) is minuscule.
Most of the top players have a “performance doctor” or some such to maximise their condition. If people think they are just advising players to take creatine and avoid fatty foods, they need their heads examining

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Shame how it’s all turned out for him really. Sure some of that blame rests with him, but I think Utd equally let him down in his prime years too. I reckon had he gone to City instead of us back then, he’d be looked at in a very different light. Without a doubt one of the most talented players I’ve seen play at Utd and on his day was capable of the sublime.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You have to prove that it is widespread in football and everyone is in on the secret.

m1tch

Yeah I'm with you on this I think. There's far less doping discovered in football it seems where the stakes are so much higher. It'd be interesting to compare it to the big American sports. I just can't imagine football, with how defective the governing bodies are, have somehow managed to maintain an exceptionally clean sport.

Mike Smalling

Nah, he was decent in a certain system. Lacked the basics, lost the ball far too much for any midfielder, had very little pace, dribbling was quite average, couldn't play in tight areas consistently, also wasn't as strong as people made out. Another player who was suited to the football played 20 years ago.

My post was mostly a joke reference, but I think you're being a little harsh on him. He was very inconsistent, and at times had a bad mentality, but when he was on his best he was an absolute joy to watch, in my opinion. I'd never consider him world class, because of his inconsistency, but he had the technical and physical tools to be one. Just never managed to apply them.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Personally he doesn't have to do that, his representative said they're doing a counter exam to disprove those results
They’ve came out and said he never wanted to break the rules is what I’m referring to. Seems like he didn’t want to do it but was forced into it to keep his career going and him playing at an elite level after all of his injury problems and poor form.
A denial would’ve been the correct way to go about it if he is innocent.

Lastwolf

He has never cheated in his career. Was tested multiple times at United with nothing found. He has had worse injuries before and nothing was found. 100% clean history.

My prediction is that someone doesnt want him at Juventus and spiked his drink. He will beat these charges. Just another hurdle to overcome.
It depends on the amounts we are talikng about it's always possible it's a tainted supplement or whatever but, it's also highly probable that he did just cheat.

Drug testing in most of a football is a joke compared to some sports and it's basically an idiot test in terms of those standards and there's ALOT more money involved.

It's a bit weird that every time he's injured he jets off to Dubai or the States where it's harder to continually test, alot of players do this, it's always suspect as hell.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Pogba had 2 good years and 1 great year with Juventus and may be one good year with us. He's also had 5 bad years with us, 1 bad year at Juventus and now is accused of doping. Add his attitude on top of that.
He certainly didn't have five bad years with us. While he obviously never reached the heights we wanted and he was quite inconsistent (bear in mind that we literally didn't have a single player in the squad who wasn't inconsistent), he was still one of our best if not our best player over his first four years here. Each individual season there were a couple of players who were better, but over the course of the entire four years he was probably our best. Fell apart in his last two seasons obviously.

Oranges038

Pogba was kept out of the team because he had already made his mind up. There’s no need to rewrite stuff. He left, became a very good player, we bought him back and it never paid out the way it should have. It’s OK. He’s not a United player any longer.
He wanted him to stay, 11/12 was to be his integration season. Fergie even stated that he wouldn't be held back.

But SAF knew he had lost him once Raiola came on the scene and the noise about Juve started. He knew the writing was on the wall with regards to him leaving.

He was never giving him any serious playing time in a Utd shirt after that that's why he ended up only playing only a handful of games that season. He barely even made the bench and when he did he was sat there watching Park, Rafeal, O'Shea etc all play midfield ahead of him.

moodyred

I mean, they got him for free. Both times. All they've had to pay for is his wages, so while he hasn't even lived up to that part during his second stay there, it can't be called a disastrous transfer. And his first stint at Juventus went quite well. They've made more money off of him than they've spent on him, and they got a few years of good football out of him before we bought him back.
Agree on his first stay. But the second is quite disastrous. His wage isn't low and I think he is causing quite a distraction. In addition, they could have brought in someone better. I am just glad we didn't renew his contract like what we did with so many others, in hope that they come good.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yeah I'm with you on this I think. There's far less doping discovered in football it seems where the stakes are so much higher. It'd be interesting to compare it to the big American sports. I just can't imagine football, with how defective the governing bodies are, have somehow managed to maintain an exceptionally clean sport.
The NBA test more for recreational drugs than they do for testing performance enhancing ones. That tells you how seriously they take drug tests in the NBA. :lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Agree on his first stay. But the second is quite disastrous. His wage isn't low and I think he is causing quite a distraction. In addition, they could have brought in someone better. I am just glad we didn't renew his contract like what we did with so many others, in hope that they come good.
The scary part is... we tried to. He refused as he wanted more money ("only 290k a week?!"). What a blessing that was.
Swapping Pogba for Eriksen was one of the best things that happened lately at this club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He did lose the ball in mad areas, but he had exceptional close control and was actually good at holding players off.
The big problem in our league was he thought he could try and hold them off for 10 seconds, rather than the 3 or 4 seconds that was sensible, and inevitably would lose it, usually in the middle of the pitch and give the opposition a free run in our goal.

He was definitely strong. Not as good aerially as we thought pre-signing, but that's probably more the United microscope where you actually watch every 90mins rather than a mix of occasional games and highlights.
We've had Ibra, Fellaini and Maguire and we can say the same about their aerial ability!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

He did lose the ball in mad areas, but he had exceptional close control and was actually good at holding players off.
The big problem in our league was he thought he could try and hold them off for 10 seconds, rather than the 3 or 4 seconds that was sensible, and inevitably would lose it, usually in the middle of the pitch and give the opposition a free run in our goal.

He was definitely strong. Not as good aerially as we thought pre-signing, but that's probably more the United microscope where you actually watch every 90mins rather than a mix of occasional games and highlights.
We've had Ibra, Fellaini and Maguire and we can say the same about their aerial ability!
Nah, he was just trying to show off. All he had to do is touch and move but wanted to show his strength and he pretty much always lost it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

My post was mostly a joke reference, but I think you're being a little harsh on him. He was very inconsistent, and at times had a bad mentality, but when he was on his best he was an absolute joy to watch, in my opinion. I'd never consider him world class, because of his inconsistency, but he had the technical and physical tools to be one. Just never managed to apply them.
Nah, he was a moments player but those moments were really rare.

Hughes35

Exactly this.

There is zero motivation to catch drug cheats in the sport. If they were to introduce a new testing regime and 10 players in the top leagues had positive tests, the game would be thrown in to chaos and ultimately profit would fall, thats all they're interested in. They don't want that to happen.

As a poster earlier said, I have played with several players at amateur and semi pro level who have openly been juicing. To think tonnes of players higher up aren't doing the same where millions of pounds are at stake would be hugely naïve in my opinion.

Josep Dowling

Not shocked to see this happen. Whether Pogba has done it to aid his woeful recovery to injuries. Or Juventus want to cut their losses and now have the perfect excuse to rip up his very lucrative contract.

moodyred

The scary part is... we tried to. He refused as he wanted more money ("only 290k a week?!"). What a blessing that was.
Swapping Pogba for Eriksen was one of the best things that happened lately at this club.
Yah. I forgot about that. Its ridiculous isn't it!