Pogba vs De Bruyne: who is the better passer?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we ever get Pogba playing in his Juventus position on the left attacking side of a 3-man midfield, I'd like to see whether the view of his limitations as a final third player change. Think he's being given the short end of the stick here, not that anyone is saying he's bad at passing, per se, but he's being undersold even when complimented.

Treble

The problem with this list is that the likes of Giggs and Bergkamp played hundreds of games while past their peak; De Bruyne, apart from a few games for Chelsea, only performed at his peak level — and his assists per minute stats will struggle if he stays here for 10+ years. Not to say that he isn't amazing, as he, of course, is.
Very good point.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
When we talk about the best passers in the league you talk about Silva,Fabregas and KDB sometimes Eriksen and Ozil.

Pogba has a great range but its just that, he's not even the best in the league when it comes to long balls over the top or into space.

KDB is a better passer of the ball, also KDB can do the long range of passing pogba does as well, he might not be flashy with all the flair but his technique is miles ahead of pogba.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If we ever get Pogba playing in his Juventus position on the left attacking side of a 3-man midfield, I'd like to see whether the view of his limitations as a final third player change. Think he's being given the short end of the stick here, not that anyone is saying he's bad at passing, per se, but he's being undersold even when complimented.
De Bruyne he is not. Just leave it. He has other strengths that De Bruyne doesn't have, but as far as playmaking ability in the final 3rd goes there's no comparison. De Bruyne's vision, passing, positioning, ability to create space for himself or a teammate, all of it. He's just a better attacking player than Pogba overall.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
De Bruyne he is not. Just leave it. He has other strengths that De Bruyne doesn't have, but as far as playmaking ability in the final 3rd goes there's no comparison. De Bruyne's vision, passing, positioning, ability to create space for himself or a teammate, all of it. He's just a better attacking player than Pogba overall.
:lol:
Leave it! It ain't wurf it! Walk away!

I imagine you don't know who Phil Mitchell is, but I read your post with him as narrator.

Anyway, I'll stop now, even if I don't think there's an enormous gulf between them.

ryadmahrez

100% agree with your post.
There's a difference between technic and skills.
A player can train and improve the technic his entire career, but skills you have it or not.

Biggest bs there is. Skills are things you can learn rather easily and almost every footballer can master. But technique some have a limit. Some can train everyday with the ball, but their touch or close controll will never be good/great/elite. History in football and my time playing football on the streets have shown me that. Skills everyone can learn, you just need the personality(as in flair) to want to display that in your play. Players like lets say Messi or KDB could learn every skill there is, but it isnt just in their personality to do so. Skills/flair are entertainment, but overrated. Give me a player like David Silva with no flair, but with the best close control, touch, sense of space and decision making there is.

AR87

Pogba is averaging an assist once every 143 minutes in all competitions and in 137 minutes in just PL this season.

KDB is averaging an assist once every 156 minutes in all competitions and in 161 minutes in just PL this season.

I would also venture to guess that if we had been just average in our goal scoring last season Pogba's assist numbers would also compare relatively even to KDB overall in his 2 seasons in England.

Jev

De Bruyne, clearly. Only on a message board for United fans would anyone suggest otherwise.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They're both really good passers, albeit with different styles - so it's like comparing someone like Casemiro wih Kanté. Pogba is akin to Falcão with his ability to not just pass well but dribble and shoot and go offensive box-to-box as a fairly complete central midfielder. Very Brazilian is spirit even though he's compared with Vieira - more of a risk-taker, and a lot of what he tries doesn't come off - but when it does the effect is spectacular because most players wouldn't even try something like that, regardless of them possessing the technique on the first place. Whereas De Bruyne is in the mold of someone like Günter Netzer given the speed with which he triangulates the field ahead of him, guile and preciseness in terms of short passing and final balls - though without evidencing the crisp depth of space long range passing of the German, especially on cross-field diagonals - which probably makes the comparison an imperfect one. De Bruyne is a more effective player and fundamentally sound passer right now - cold-blooded on the edge of the final third, always scheming, and incisive like a surgical knife. He was really good at Mönchengladbach too, but Guardiola has managed to fine-tune his game - elevating him to a higher level, and the Belgium operates like clockwork alongside Silva these days - seemingly making 9 good decision with every 10 touches of the ball - Cruyff would be a big fan of him. Pogba is younger, more of a flamboyant free-style player a times who's still a bit inconsistent in terms of his decision-making, so he wastes a lot of balls and time and potential space - but he has the talent to kick into a higher gear as he matures out of his oftentimes hit-and-miss style or if he works under an expert midfield coach. He might never reach the level of consistency of De Bruyne in the final third, the consummate rhythmic passing ability of Kroos, etc. but he has a lot more to his game as well.
De Bruyne was never at Gladbach. In Germany he played for Bremen and Wolfsburg.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
De Bruyne was never at Gladbach. In Germany he played for Bremen and Wolfsburg.
D-oh! Was going to mention Gladbach for Netzer - but wrote is next to De Bruyne for some odd reason. :lol:

Cheers! Fixed.

Zoo

When we talk about the best passers in the league you talk about Silva,Fabregas and KDB sometimes Eriksen and Ozil.

Pogba has a great range but its just that, he's not even the best in the league when it comes to long balls over the top or into space.

KDB is a better passer of the ball, also KDB can do the long range of passing pogba does as well, he might not be flashy with all the flair but his technique is miles ahead of pogba.
Haha

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan

I agree that those players are better passers but its not the gulf in-between that this post makes it sound like imo. Pogba is a nice passer but he doesn't possess the vision of the true greats just yet.

De Bruyne, clearly. Only on a message board for United fans would anyone suggest otherwise.
feck me, another thread, another one of these bollocks comments.

No mate, Pogba is World renowned, adored if you will and went for a World record fee not because just fcuking United fans rate him. :houllier:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

PogPass, ffs! :lol:

What would his numbers look like if the players he's slotting in would actually convert?

That's that then! Jev has declared it thus.
If you put them both up for sale tomorrow, Pogba would fetch the higher fee.

Whether that's correct or not based upon their talent isn't for me to say, but it certainly proves what a total bullshit comment Jev's is. I absolutely detest those kind of posts, as though we comparing fecking Lingard and De Bruyne rather than Paul fecking Pogba, the third most expensive player in history.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
If you put them both up for sale tomorrow, Pogba would fetch the higher fee.

Whether that's correct or not based upon their talent isn't for me to say, but it certainly proves what a total bullshit comment Jev's is. I absolutely detest those kind of posts, as though we comparing fecking Lingard and De Bruyne rather than Paul fecking Pogba.
your high man. KDB would.

Seveneric

KDB.

The only place where Pogba would win is on redcafe (note that I didn't even say United fans, because KDB would probably win overall on other forums).

Fridge chutney

What a useless comment. They are currently 2 of the best players in the league right now. When he was at Juventus, people fawned over Pogba, making your comment null and void.

Treble

KDB.

The only place where Pogba would win is on redcafe (note that I didn't even say United fans, because KDB would probably win overall on other forums).
I don't post on other forums but I doubt that there is a more tolerant United forum. Many United fans on here would vote for KDB regarding passing ability.

Fridge chutney

I love the line of reasoning, used multiple times thus far, whereby "we're on redcafe, so if I disagree with the opinion I'll just point out that the forum and fans are inherently biased and dismiss everything they say."

It's not like we're comparing Lingard with De Bruyne. It's bloody Pogba.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Fat chance that. Not in a climate in which the likes of Souness go on live TV after he helps demolish Arsenal claiming he doesn't do enough in big games, is a tactical liability and makes no difference to United offensively.

Treble

Two stats re: passing are identical. Both Pogba and KDB have 84% pass accuracy and 17m average pass length. KDB tends to create more chances. He has played twice as many minutes as Pogba and has created three times as many chances: 46:15.

Charles Miller

Biggest bs there is. Skills are things you can learn rather easily and almost every footballer can master. But technique some have a limit. Some can train everyday with the ball, but their touch or close controll will never be good/great/elite. History in football and my time playing football on the streets have shown me that. Skills everyone can learn, you just need the personality(as in flair) to want to display that in your play. Players like lets say Messi or KDB could learn every skill there is, but it isnt just in their personality to do so. Skills/flair are entertainment, but overrated. Give me a player like David Silva with no flair, but with the best close control, touch, sense of space and decision making there is.
If the highest level of skills are something everybody can learn with train, why you never see players coming from methodic football nations with the same flair of the best South Americans?
You think if Fellaini train very hard he can dribble pass an entire defense like Maradona or Messi?

Its exactly the contrary of what you said.
The first day you play football you realize that there are individuals that are just naturally better.
Its the same as any other human activity. You can train as you want but you can't paint like Picasso.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Leave it! It ain't wurf it! Walk away!

I imagine you don't know who Phil Mitchell is, but I read your post with him as narrator.

Anyway, I'll stop now, even if I don't think there's an enormous gulf between them.
No i don't know who Phil Mitchell is, i had morgan freeman in mind :lol:

Yeah it's not an enormous or even big gulf

Baxter

Two stats re: passing are identical. Both Pogba and KDB have 84% pass accuracy and 17m average pass length. KDB tends to create more chances. He has played twice as many minutes as Pogba and has created three times as many chances: 46:15.
He takes all their set pieces though does he not?

El Jefe

Its KDB for now. His choice of pass and final pass is almost flawless it also helps that he's so consistent and doesn't waste passes. His assists stats tell the whole story really, whether he's in a counter attacking team or possession based side he delivers.

However as a few others have mentioned, Pogba clearly has the better range. Long range passing, weaker foot, chipped in balls over the defence etc. If he was become as efficient with the ball as the likes of KDB, Silva and Ozil, he will be the best passer of the ball in the world because he has the ability to hit any pass whereas the others don't.

GM K

Pogba because he can flick it from anywhere and at any distance across the pitch.