Pogba vs De Bruyne: who is the better passer?

Treble

Do you think his numbers would be the same in a Mourinho team?
Ozil numbers were fantastic when at Madrid under Jose. You can get tons of assists while participating in counter attacking football.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ozil numbers were fantastic when at Madrid under Jose. You can get tons of assists while participating in counter attacking football.
No that's really not the same when you're assisting Ronaldo at the peak of his powers.

Irrespective of that, I'm talking about the PL, anyway.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair no one is Messi or Ronaldo tier (hell Ronaldo isn't even Messi tier).

Saying KDB just mastered the basics is either grossly underrating him or saying virtually no one in world football has mastered the basics. He's simply an amazing player and him playing for a tea I loathe makes that annoying, but not any less true.
I don't mean it as a slight though, it seems to be lost in translation. Iget that term from Andre Ward the boxer who attributes his very high level of talent as nothing more than mastering the basics, being the best at the essentials. Masters are rare by definition.

You are talking nonsense CM. And you are trying to defend it by suggesting agenda.

This is not Pogba vs KDB as players, it's just about their passing. Pogba has wonderful qualities which can make him the best in the world in 2-3 years. His passing range might tbe better. But overall he isn't quite there yet, IMO.

I dislike tribalism, especially after Brexit, and I'm not going to say stupid things about opposition players and managers just because they are at City or Liverpool.
OK, if you are just talking about passing than fine, even so, there are other players close to him Maybe not at crossing. I'll give you that.

I am stunned that you imply you are a United fan though given that every post I see you make seems to be in awe of Pep or City. I wasn't hinting at an agenda. I was genuinely curious as to where your allegiances lie. I actually thought you were one of these Dutch posters living vicariously through Pep and 'total football'.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Pogba can produce all those perfectly weighted balls ala De Bruyne and I'm sure De Bruyne can spray the ball around too given the chance/opportunity.

I declare it a draw.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
De Bruyne is a better passesr than Pogba. The latter is an excellent in his own right but De Bruyne is special in this respect and second only to Messi at the moment.

Overall as a player he's better too but Pogba has the ability to surpass him.

AXVnee7

KDB is better in my book although that's no slight on Pogba as he's not far behind in that department, and both operate at a world class level.

Silas

The variety of passes (dinks, outside the boot, etc) in Pogba's locker tilts me in his favour. I can't see KDB doing things like this:

Treble

I don't mean it as a slight though, it seems to be lost in translation. Iget that term from Andre Ward the boxer who attributes his very high level of talent as nothing more than mastering the basics, being the best at the essentials. Masters are rare by definition.

OK, if you are just talking about passing than fine, even so, there are other players close to him Maybe not at crossing. I'll give you that.

I am stunned that you imply you are a United fan though given that every post I see you make seems to be in awe of Pep or City. I wasn't hinting at an agenda. I was genuinely curious as to where your allegiances lie. I actually thought you were one of these Dutch posters living vicariously through Pep and 'total football'.
Actually, I used to dislike Guardiola when Fergie was still here and I was rooting for Chelsea in 2009 and Inter in 2010 in their games vs Barca. Because I perceived Barca as our main rivals in Europe. I didn't like Jose either but was happy when he beat Barca with Inter. But I came to appreciate Guardiola as a manager later, especially after the Wembley final in 2011 because they played stunning football. They did it before too but I was unwilling to recognise it even though I've always liked Cruyff. I can't say now that Guardiola is a fraud. It seems to me completely false or tribal to do so. He's obviously a top manager. My own opinion was perfectly expressed by Cantona. He said that Jose is very clever and one of the best around but he would prefer a more attacking type of football. I imagine that if Cantona were on here he would "defend" Guardiola against silly views that he is a total fraud or something. That said I've warmed towards Jose. Unlike many of his defenders on here who dislike his personality and support him only because he happens to manage United, I find him quite charismatic. And very clever too even though I struggled to understand his thinking behind signing so many big players and finding a role for Fellaini.

Last edited:

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Don't forget that De Bruyne is playing with Silva, Jesus, Aguero, Sane and Sterling. The whole team is functioning better in a attacking sense wheareas Pogba is playing with Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku. There's a big difference there.
Don't forget that De Bruyne single handedly carried two average Bundesliga Teams where he had like 30 goals in 50 assists in roundabout 100 games. This guy is class!

Last edited by a moderator:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
De Bruyne without a doubt tbh and that isn't shitting on Pogba, just saying at this particular attribute.. KDB is up there with the likes of Iniesta and Pogba comes nowhere near on that front.

Pogba is an audacious passer, arguably has greater range (bit like Stevie G who had it in him to pull off absolute worldies) but very inconsistent.. one comes off after 3 or 4 attempts whereas KDB is very accurate and a master of putting the right weight, spin etc.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
When it comes to crossing KDB wins it hands down. He is the best crosser of the ball I have seen since Beckham. Precision personified. His final passes are bang on too.
However, when it comes to running the game from deep, passing range, dribbling - Pogba is better.

Both can easily co-exist in the same team. What a team that would be though!
That's a fair description imo, fully agree with that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Oi, I don't like Pep! :(

SuperiorXI

De Brunye is a much better passer of the ball than Pogba and is a more intelligent footballer.

Pogba is much stronger though and more skillful.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Doesn't make much sense.

But even if it were true, still many midfielders in "the best league in the world" have mastered the basics. And are nowhere near KDB.
I think it's more like the Bruce Lee quote "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times". Although to say that De Bruyne does just simple things is oversimplifying his game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No other player in the history of the EPL has been as efficient when it comes to the final ball. Basically, KDB has been in a class of his own.

Pogba has other qualities which KDB doesn't and may well become a better player eventually. Passing and decision making is where KDB excells though and it is hard to beat them in these regards.
The problem with this list is that the likes of Giggs and Bergkamp played hundreds of games while past their peak; De Bruyne, apart from a few games for Chelsea, only performed at his peak level — and his assists per minute stats will struggle if he stays here for 10+ years. Not to say that he isn't amazing, as he, of course, is.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The variety of passes (dinks, outside the boot, etc) in Pogba's locker tilts me in his favour. I can't see KDB doing things like this:

probably because he doesn't need to, but he can do them, just like for the pass to Sterling for his goal against Arsenal last season

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
De Bruyne is undoubtedly excellent but I genuinely believe that Pogba will overshadow him within 12 months. You can see the improvement in his game over the last 6 months or so and, under Jose, I think he can become the complete midfielder.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
When did this happen? And when did start supporting ManUtd, IIRC you liked Pep and admitted you are biased against Jose.
I like neither Pep nor Jose. I just like the way Pep makes his teams play.

Also I don't support United, I support Feyenoord. I just always root for United, unless they play Feyenoord :)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think it's more like the Bruce Lee quote "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times". Although to say that De Bruyne does just simple things is oversimplifying his game.
:lol:

A Bruce Lee quote in a thread about passing!

You're my new favourite poster.

unitedforeveral

The comparison is unfair because Pogba has missed many games this season and KDB has played almost all of them. Pep's team play 100 million passes every match, whereas Jose likes to split defenses on a counter. The difference in the style of play is significantly the difference in these 2 players. If the roles were reversed, i think Pogba and KDB would find it difficult. My judgment, both fantastic in there own ways.

cyberman

Pogba.
Although its like comparing Zidanes range to Scholes. Its personal preference that seperates them.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pogba.
Although its like comparing Zidanes range to Scholes. Its personal preference that seperates them.
Zidane was once asked, ‘How does it feel to be the best player in the world?’ He replied, ‘Ask Paul Scholes.’

:devil:

Law's Law

Supports
Manchester City
Could someone explain what does range of passes really mean, and how many types off passes are there?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Could someone explain what does range of passes really mean, and how many types off passes are there?
I *think* people are on about 'hollywood' type balls passed from deep likes a quarterback would in the American Football,

so KDB best range is (imo)

short to medium forward passes between the defending lines
crosses from wide
dinks over the top

wheras some people on the thread believe Pogba's best passing range is from deep, medium to long for the widemen and forwards to run onto or into their body / feet, (I'm not sure what Pogba's best passing range is as I don't watch him too much)
short dinks from the outside of the foot to players running into space

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Well there's the simple side foot, the scorching powered blast out to the flank, the outside-footed swerver, the cheeky chip or lob over the defence, the volleyed nudge...there are loads.

RooneyLegend

KDB, best passer in the world. He just simply has passes that other players don't seem to have.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't doubt Pogba's ability to pull off the kind of passes De Bruyne has shown. I think he doesn't have as much of an opportunity to do so as he has more defensive responsibility in a Mourinho side looking to counter instead of dominate. But based on the evidence of this season alone you have to give it to De Bruyne. His ability to pass on the break or at a standstill is top notch.

I don't think De Bruyne has displayed anything Beckham didn't do in our treble winning season. Posts putting the latter over the former are out of pocket.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
De Bruyne. But Pogba can get to that level.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
It’s difficult to make a case against De Bruyne at this moment in time, he’s just crazy efficient and the ‘mastered the basics’ stuff undermines that quality as well as his vision. You can use the caveat that he’s surrounded by better players and benefits from the system Pep employs, but in terms of passing range and areas of the pitch - he’s literally starting moves off from CB at times.

Pogba has a wider range in his technique and potentially more strings to his bow as a player. He’s also a better fit for this United team.

Charles Miller

Totally disagree. De Bruyne is a guy who has mastered the basics. Pogba plays with a creative flair few players have.
100% agree with your post.
There's a difference between technic and skills.
A player can train and improve the technic his entire career, but skills you have it or not.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
They're both really good passers, albeit with different styles - so it's like comparing someone like Casemiro wih Kanté. Pogba is akin to Falcão with his ability to not just pass well but dribble and shoot and go offensive box-to-box as a fairly complete central midfielder. Very Brazilian is spirit even though he's compared with Vieira - more of a risk-taker, and a lot of what he tries doesn't come off - but when it does the effect is spectacular because most players wouldn't even try something like that, regardless of them possessing the technique on the first place. Whereas De Bruyne is in the mold of someone like Günter Netzer at Mönchengladbach given the speed with which he triangulates the field ahead of him, guile and preciseness in terms of short passing and final balls - though without evidencing the crisp depth of space long range passing of the German, especially on cross-field diagonals - which probably makes the comparison an imperfect one. De Bruyne is a more effective player and fundamentally sound passer right now - cold-blooded on the edge of the final third, always scheming, and incisive like a surgical knife. He was really good at Wolfsburg too, but Guardiola has managed to fine-tune his game - elevating him to a higher level, and the Belgium operates like clockwork alongside Silva these days - seemingly making 9 good decision with every 10 touches of the ball - Cruyff would be a big fan of him. Pogba is younger, more of a flamboyant free-style player a times who's still a bit inconsistent in terms of his decision-making, so he wastes a lot of balls and time and potential space - but he has the talent to kick into a higher gear as he matures out of his oftentimes hit-and-miss style or if he works under an expert midfield coach. He might never reach the level of consistency of De Bruyne in the final third, the consummate rhythmic passing ability of Kroos, etc. but he has a lot more to his game as well.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pogba.
KdB is a fantastic player, but I'm a complete Pogba fanboy on this part.
That said, my issue with Pogba is when he "turns off" when he loses the ball instead of immediately tracking back and getting a challenge in or cover a pass-option fast.