Pogba

I'm a beautiful thing

Wary of the Pogba debate because you either get classed as fan boy or hater, which is a bit silly really.
He is a very talented player, capable of being someone who change a game, superb passer and gets a few goals but he is also 28,inconsistent and seemingly injury prone, so to give him the kind of money he wants, I wouldn't do.

PSV

Would gladly lose out on Haaland (if we even have a chance in the first place) if it also meant we finally got rid of this guy.

Haven't wanted a player gone this badly since probably Heinze.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
He didn't even work in Ole's static play, how will he work in Ralf's dynamic play?
Get rid of

alexthelion

You can be "fanboy" or "hater" but Pogba IS top quality player. We need him to stay. If that means 375k contract then i am fine with that.
Is he really a top player?

For his national team and in Italy where play is much slower then yes, but in PL? No is the answer to that.

Let him go or only offer him a reduced contract, because he certainly hasn't earned the money we've already paid him.

Greck

He didn't even work in Ole's static play, how will he work in Ralf's dynamic play?
Get rid of
Wait shouldn't the expectations work in the opposite? Anyway it says a lot about ole's static play that we have a love/hate relationship with all of our central midfielders (mostly the latter). I previously couldn't wait to see the back of him but I now so badly want to see him in a progressive setup before tossing him off this ship.

If he's even having contract talks with us then he's probably just in it for the money because we sure as hell aren't doing much winning. No one else can offer his current wages talk less of a pay increase. As long as he's negotiating with us we're in the driver's seat because no one else is in the market for Pogba on those wages.

Last edited:

Red For Ever

Happy to see him gone.
Never achieved enough in a United shirt to warrant his fee and salary.

And certainly not showed anywhere enough to warrant a salary increase

Unless he ups his game, can't see anyone paying the money he thinks he's worth, even if they could

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Wait shouldn't the expectations work in the opposite? Anyway it says a lot about ole's static play that we have a love/hate relationship with all of our central midfielders (mostly the latter), it wasn't just Pogba. I previously couldn't wait to see the back of him but I now so badly want to see him in a progressive setup before tossing him off this ship.
Dynamic play requires a whole lot of discipline and work rate. Someone who just jogs around even in dangerous situations can never work in such system, specially in the midfield.
Let's be real, he is a player that works only in slow play such as the Italy league. National team also works for him because national teams have less structure than club teams (due to less training) hence relatively slower pace.

I mean aside of the one season he went to CL final he never even really impressed in the Europe competitions.

MattofManchester

Wait shouldn't the expectations work in the opposite? Anyway it says a lot about ole's static play that we have a love/hate relationship with all of our central midfielders (mostly the latter). I previously couldn't wait to see the back of him but I now so badly want to see him in a progressive setup before tossing him off this ship.

If he's even having contract talks with us then he's probably just in it for the money because we sure as hell aren't doing much winning. No one else can offer his current wages talk less of a pay increase. As long as he's negotiating with us we're in the driver's seat because no one else is in the market for Pogba on those wages.
In the case of Pogba, he's been under the care of 2 managers and failed under both.

He's had good spells, but at 28 he still cannot offer any consistency and he's offered constant fitness and availability issues, and we can't be signing up a hit or miss on a bigger wage.

That's what's absolutely been wrong with us for a while now.
Making all the wrong decisions.

Greck

In the case of Pogba, he's been under the care of 2 managers and failed under both.

He's had good spells, but at 28 he still cannot offer any consistency and he's offered constant fitness and availability issues, and we can't be signing up a hit or miss on a bigger wage.

That's what's absolutely been wrong with us for a while now.
Making all the wrong decisions.
He didn't fail, he underdelivered. His team won a world cup in the same time frame so there's some redeemable ability we can use if he does end up staying. Also Ole and Jose are absolutely clueless about possession so it's no real shock our midfielders are now so heavily despised by the fanbase.

SAFMUTD

I dont see him going to Madrid, their going all guns for Mbappe and Halaand. Juve with all their scandals I dont think will have the money to pay Pogba, even as a free agent. So its either PSG or he stays here.

MattofManchester

He didn't fail, he underdelivered. His team won a world cup in the same time frame so there's some redeemable ability we can use if he does end up staying. Also Ole and Jose are absolutely clueless about possession so it's no real shock our midfielders are now so heavily despised by the fanbase.
I don't despise him. I just think the cons outweigh the pros.
He gets away with a lot internationally that he doesn't get away with here.
His lackadaisical tracking back as a central midfielder, which is vital, especially so in a pressing team, is going to cause more harm than good.
His dwelling on the ball and losing it in dangerous positions. Him and Maguire are ridiculous when it comes to this.
He's not press resistant and most of all looking at his injury record, it doesn't exactly spell reliability.
Not to mention he is horribly inconsistent, which is a stain on many players at this club.
I just think we'd be better off signing a quality midfielder who can fulfill the role we need, get rid of him and move on from the saga.

RUCK4444

We need to improve our midfield options but it's not specifically for Pogba, defensively statiscally the difference between Pogba and McTominay isn't that big, they are in the same ballpark despite the fact that McTominay is supposed to be significantly more involved defensively. It's one of those things that I find surprising people seem to not talk enough about the fact that Pogba and McTominay are defensively fairly similar.
I agree on the Scott comparison. To me it’s visible on the pitch that Scott doesn’t do that much more than Pogba defensively (and obviously offensively is the lesser player, as most are to Pogba from that position.)

I think Ole just stuck on that pairing of Scott and Fred and couldn’t let himself move away from it.

Although I think Fred will continue to shine under Ralf. Perhaps Ralf could make the Pogba-Fred pairing work.

Greck

I don't despise him. I just think the cons outweigh the pros.
He gets away with a lot internationally that he doesn't get away with here.
His lackadaisical tracking back as a central midfielder, which is vital, especially so in a pressing team, is going to cause more harm than good.
His dwelling on the ball and losing it in dangerous positions. Him and Maguire are ridiculous when it comes to this.
He's not press resistant and most of all looking at his injury record, it doesn't exactly spell reliability.

Not to mention he is horribly inconsistent, which is a stain on many players at this club.
I just think we'd be better off signing a quality midfielder who can fulfill the role we need, get rid of him and move on from the saga.
All of the bolded are symptoms of a clueless team setup. Look how different Fred and Ronaldo looked. Yet they were the ones everyone projected to be made obsolete by Rangnick. I'm not particularly a big fan either but can see the benefits of dealing with even a mercenary. We need to gauge his fit in a modern setup before pulling the plug. Do our due diligence before rushing off to the transfer market. VDB was once Pogba's replacement and hasn't even been able to dislodge Fred and Mctominay in the starting lineup even with Pogba out. it's not easy to replace first teamers.

RUCK4444

Would gladly lose out on Haaland (if we even have a chance in the first place) if it also meant we finally got rid of this guy.

Haven't wanted a player gone this badly since probably Heinze.
@Frank White you see what I mean?

I respect this guys opinion but why of all players would you want him gone above all other players that have been here in that time? It’s mental.

Judas

Open to offers
His injury record would be one of the main reasons I wouldn't rush to give him a new deal, it's mad how often he seems to be missing for long stretches of time now. He'll come back and no doubt be brilliant for a few weeks though.

Mainoldo

When that's your view of events then i doubt anyone is going to take you up on it. A few good games a season and he's apparently our saviour.

He's had as many bad games as good across the prior two seasons. To claim he got us top 4 is astounding logic.
Because when he plays bad our ‘top’ performers play good right?

We play our best football as a team when he returns and plays the number 10 role next to Sancho. Would be good to see two ballers in that role.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dont see him going to Madrid, their going all guns for Mbappe and Halaand. Juve with all their scandals I dont think will have the money to pay Pogba, even as a free agent. So its either PSG or he stays here.
They will get him on a free, same with Mbappe . Modric won't last forever so he will take his place.

skc_18

I dont know why we would not give deals with base + bonus. Keep him on the current salary but promise good bonus when he scores(10)/assists (20) or if we win a PL/CL. Would it not be win-win for all parties?

skc_18

They will get him on a free, same with Mbappe . Modric won't last forever so he will take his place.
Yup, I thought Juventus would be his preferred one. But with their financial woes, I don't think this transfer will be high on their wish-lists.
Madrid is good option too but not sure about Raiola <->Perez.

I think PSG is the most probable one especially if Mbappe leaves. With Donnarumma transfer, Raiola has some connections with PSG. So if Mbappe leaves he will try to push both Haaland and Pogba to them. PSG would be happy because they get a replacement of striker in Haaland and replacement of French player in Pogba, win-win for everyone.

Cantonagotmehere

Wary of the Pogba debate because you either get classed as fan boy or hater, which is a bit silly really.
He is a very talented player, capable of being someone who change a game, superb passer and gets a few goals but he is also 28,inconsistent and seemingly injury prone, so to give him the kind of money he wants, I wouldn't do.
Well put.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I dont know why we would not give deals with base + bonus. Keep him on the current salary but promise good bonus when he scores(10)/assists (20) or if we win a PL/CL. Would it not be win-win for all parties?
No chance he'd agree to such a contract :lol:

RUCK4444

He just isn't a good fit anymore. He never really was but even less so now.
How do you figure that when in this system he can play in two positions (in the pivot or as the LAM)?

And he presses more than any of our players except Fred, not to mention being far more talented than the others as well.

Sviken

Get rid. Never a consistent performer, has grown increasingly injury prone over the years, demands high wages that do not represent his ability, his attitude stinks. The whole baggage he carries with him is also too much. It's always a circus with him. People might argue about his potential and "natural" ability, but he's already 28 and he's hardly delivered. He doesn't deserve a new contract, nor Woody's favorite of "preserving" the value would be of any use since no team would take him on his wages. Just let him go to PSG. They do love those flashy high profile signings that ultimately do nothing.

Marwood

If he isn't a fit, then he should go. Thing is, pretty much every single player has been bad or regressed since they signed for us. But the outcry is only against Pogba thanks to his agent.

Point is, everyone deserves a clean slate now. If Ralf thinks he isn't a fit, he can go. I trust him.
The outcry is only against Pogba? How have you come to that conclusion?

Almost every single player gets slated on here.

In the media Maguire and McFred get lambasted on a regular basis.

talking robot

id say make him an offer for 200k ish per week. if he accepts then great, if he doesnt then he moves on. the fact that we dont need him puts us in a decent negotiating position

PSV

@Frank White you see what I mean?

I respect this guys opinion but why of all players would you want him gone above all other players that have been here in that time? It’s mental.
Big spells of horrendous form that outshines the few strings of matches where he's admittedly great. Always cryptically giving off the impression he wants out. Being one of our highest earners. Being injury prone.

Show me any player we've had lately that matches all that. It's a combination. Sure there are underperforming players that we could shift on that basis alone, but with Pogba it goes beyond just performing poorly.

The way I see it first order of business for any football team should be to fill their squad with players that have a strong desire and lust to be at the club. I don't see that at all with Pogba and I honestly haven't really seen it ever since he re-signed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’s definitely signing for PSG on a free. Nothing has ever been so obvious.

MyBloodIsRed

Talented player just don't see him giving his all week in week out. I think we need a player that will give their all in a match and fight. I don't see that in him.

Snuffkin

type of player Newcastle would go for, all flash no substance, just like the toon

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
If he is prepared to adapt to Ralph's requirements and doesn't expect an obscene pay rise then I want him to stay. If he wants the team to adapt to him or to be our top earner he can go.

Teja

If we continue with the 4-2-2-2, the squad depth currently looks like this:

Fwd1: Rashford / Greenwood
Fwd2: Cavani / Ronaldo
LAM: Sancho / Pogba
RAM: Bruno / VdB
CM1: Fred / ??
CM2: McT / ??
LB: Telles / Shaw
RB: Dalot / AwB
CB: Bailly / Maguire
CB: Lindelof / Varane.

I think we've effectively replaced Pogba with Sancho. The backup LAM spot can go to one of the kids (Amad / Hannibal / Elanga).

I'm more worried about the CM spot. If one of McFred is injured, there's no one to take their place.

SAFMUTD

They got Valverde and Camavinga for Modric's spot, but if they want it so be it. Not fussed about him leaving really.