Pogba

Son

Yeah I actually forgot about Martial, so he could be backup at forward or at LAM behind Sancho.

There's no point even bringing up Mata, he won't start in any sort of serious game. Matic can't do full 90 every week. Or even a full 90 mins in a single game - he looks gassed by about 60 mins.
Matic is still a better player than McTomminay but he will suffer a bit in this new system.

I feel VDB can be rotated with Matic for one of the backup CM roles alongside a new hopefully world class starting playmaker next to Fred.

VDB can get a little more game time that way and not just be backup to Bruno all the time.

We need to shift the pieces a little bit until the summer realistically. Unless the board want to bring in Rice to be backup for Ballon D’Or Fred and give us De Jong from Barcelona too…

arthurka

350k is fair wages to avoid losing him. People are crazy not to realize Ander Herrrera of all people is on 300k/wk.
He will probably not sign for 350k her will probably go for something a bit higher.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree we should never in a million years give him 350k-450k for staying here. With this new style we will need runners and players who follow rigid and strict patterns and guidelines. Can't see him doing that. We have been trying to fit him in for almost 6 years and still no one knows what his best position is. Simply Red said it best that if we don't know him by now we will never ever ever know him.
I also am not sure where else Pogba can go?

Juve might even get relegated with their financial scandal, i'm not sure they're going to want to add another huge wage onto their bill as it stands.

I think Pogba is wanting a move to Madrid, he's always made noises about going there. They can afford to take him on a free, and I think if he was going to stay he would have signed by now.

We are definitely in a better shape if he leaves now though than before under Jose. We've managed OK without him.

Posh Red

So he should leave because it hasn't worked out football wise and the fans are mean to him. I'm sure it has got nothing to do with the fact that Pogba has never consistently played well, simple as that, he has not done well the only job he was hired to do, there's no way around this, THIS is what it is. Not to mention that he has not been able to put a cap on his agent being out of line.
But sure, the fans don't deserve him because some of us say mean things on the internet.
Did you read my post?

RUCK4444

Big spells of horrendous form that outshines the few strings of matches where he's admittedly great. Always cryptically giving off the impression he wants out. Being one of our highest earners. Being injury prone.

Show me any player we've had lately that matches all that. It's a combination. Sure there are underperforming players that we could shift on that basis alone, but with Pogba it goes beyond just performing poorly.

The way I see it first order of business for any football team should be to fill their squad with players that have a strong desire and lust to be at the club. I don't see that at all with Pogba and I honestly haven't really seen it ever since he re-signed.
Whatever 'horrendous form' you claim he's had, he without fail provides more than his counterparts in midfield, time and again. Even when injured and being rushed back, ya know like when he got us to top four with his performances pretty much on his own.

Show me examples of Paul Pogba hinting he wants away from United. I think what your referring to is his agent, the GOAT level cnut that is Raiola, the agent we knew he had when we signed him. The agent that just recently flew an under contract Haaland around Europe visiting prospective clubs!!
Paul saying once or twice in interviews when being directly asked about Real Madrid 'you never know in the future' is exactly the answer you will get from 100% of footballers.

Pogba is treated like he is desperate to get away from the club purely because of his agent, which we should have fully expected because his agent is like this with every client he has. Every time Paul doesn't play well people view him as a lazy b@stard who want's to go to Madrid. Every time another player plays worse and offers up far less over the course of the season it's 'ah they just aren't good enough and it's mostly Ole's fault.'

I believe he's leaving now regardless so it's sort of a moot point, but I think Pogba has handled himself perfectly acceptably on and off the pitch, every one of his peers and managers have said he sets a great example and is a leader amongst the group. His agent is a clown who whips up hysteria to create a marketplace to profit himself from his client moving, we know this.

To put Pogba ahead of players who have actively tried to engineer moves away and players who just wanted a paycheck like DiMaria is a madness in my opinion, Paul clearly wanted to do well here or he would have never returned and spent a large part of his career here.

Last edited:

Abraxas

Are we even looking forward to seeing Pogba back in the side at this point?

I'm not, particularly. What reason is there to think it will be anything different from the last number of years. He'll probably come back with 2 assists and then put in a series of average displays.

He's simply a massive distraction that takes away as much as he gives. It doesn't matter which way you slice and dice it, whether it's him, his agent, his mysterious interviews and comments, after a period it starts to become an irrelevance because the sum total is a circus attached to a player that does little for us. I have come round to the idea that giving him and his agent a huge, bumper extension would have been a giant mistake. The sooner we move on from this and buy a functional midfielder the better off we'll be.

Yes he's talented in some very defined areas of midfield play but it's no way near being worth it anymore.

cyberman

Are we even looking forward to seeing Pogba back in the side at this point?

I'm not, particularly. What reason is there to think it will be anything different from the last number of years. He'll probably come back with 2 assists and then put in a series of average displays.

He's simply a massive distraction that takes away as much as he gives. I have come round to the idea that giving him and his agent a huge, bumper extension would have been a giant mistake. The sooner we move on from this and buy functional midfielders the better off we'll be.
I am. The 4-2-2-2 formation seems to favour him as in he can stay close to attackers and drift to the left side while having cover behind him

Abraxas

I am. The 4-2-2-2 formation seems to favour him as in he can stay close to attackers and drift to the left side while having cover behind him
For some reason I am cynical whenever a new idea comes forward for using Pogba. The man is in or maybe even past his prime years and we're still looking for a solution to a fundamental question.

I've lost count of the positions he's been tried in and the partners he's had.

Maybe, I see the logic in him in that 2 behind the strikers. Whether it actually amounts to anything is the question.

romufc

For some reason I am cynical whenever a new idea comes forward for using Pogba. The man is in or maybe even past his prime years and we're still looking for a solution to a fundamental question.

I've lost count of the positions he's been tried in and the partners he's had.

Maybe, I see the logic in him in that 2 behind the strikers. Whether it actually amounts to anything is the question.
Do you know what I find funny? Now that we have a different manager, everyone is like Pogba can fit this system and can excel.

Yet, the biggest complain they have had about him before is, he lacks the players around him? Well we still have the same players?

Also, they now want him to play in the 10 spot and drop Bruno? I mean why?

Lastly, they all say Pogba plays well for France, but he plays in the 2 in midfield, not CAM.

I always find the Pogba FC weird, they keep changing the narrative as to why Pogba is not doing well and where he fits in.

I am not too bothered, he goes or stays, I am sick of the saga, when the team is looking up he somehow becomes interested in the project, when the team is failing, he needs a new project. That to me makes no sense.

Sviken

350k is fair wages to avoid losing him. People are crazy not to realize Ander Herrrera of all people is on 300k/wk.
Yeah, but Ander Herrera plays for a club which is bankrolled by a sheikh. If we were like City/PSG, sure, give him even 1 million per week. What do we care? Money won't come out of our pocket. But we don't. Every penny this club spends is self-generated. Giving these wages to Pogba would mean that some other player that might deserve them won't get them. Just not a good business model when you don't have unlimited money.

poleglass red

Personally I'd get rid of him, not a fan, Thing is, we need to see him play under Rangnick at least. On paper it looks like he won't fit, due to lack of workrate and tactical discipline, but that could be applied equally to players such as Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and even Ronaldo. Ronaldo showed enough in the Palace game that maybe he can adapt his game, although time will tell on that. Rangnick openly referenced Ronaldo's effort in that game, I think he will give players chances, but I also think he will pull it away if they don't follow the script.Let's see how Pogba adapts to this new regime and if he can maintain it. One of our biggest issues with Pogba is consistency, not just game to game but over 90 mins. A wonder pass or piece of skill often hides a poor performance, much like Fernandes. It's hard to carry one player like that in a team, never mind 2.

RUCK4444

for his assists and goals stats surely we can match his stats for a third of that?
Who do you think we can sign who will offer the same output and ability as Pogba for £116k per week?

Because that's shopping in the mid-to-bottom of the PL league shop window.

Josep Dowling

Don’t want him to stay. He’s done nothing in 5 years for the value we have paid in transfer fee and salary. Why should he get a bumper contract? Spends half the season injured, half the season creating a circus around him.

If we are going towards a gegenpress style as well, Pogba just doesn’t fit into that system. Cut our losses and let him leave.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Pogba the most talented midfielder we have. On song the boy is a joy to watch, fair dos he hasn't done it consistently enough since he came back but ill be surprised if under RR he doesn’t play well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I believe he's leaving now regardless so it's sort of a moot point, but I think Pogba has handled himself perfectly acceptably on and off the pitch, every one of his peers and managers have said he sets a great example and is a leader amongst the group. His agent is a clown who whips up hysteria to create a marketplace to profit himself from his client moving, we know this.
There's little evidence that he's acted unprofessionally, you're right about that.

However, he isn't entirely disconnected from the antics of his agent. Raiola has blatantly disrespected United on several occasions over the years - and Pogba has done nothing to shut him up until fairly recently. *

* I should say that if he has done something to shut him up, this only happened fairly recently.

Don't Kill Bill

This is not true. A Pogba Fred pivot dominated even Seville in the europa finals and would dominate majority of games especially with the whole team working together like Saturday. He's a game-changer when on form...we should try to keep him but not overpay.

My memory my be off but I thought Fred didn't come on the pitch until well into extra time. We started with McT and Pogba and of the two McT had the better game.

Vanrouge

I’ve just seen another couple of posts about Fergie getting rid of him. Unbelievable!

I agree that it’s best for him to move on now, partly because it just hasn’t worked out football wise, but also because of the amount of nonsense that seems to get thrown around about him by a section of the fan base. If he’s not faking an injury, he’s disrupting the dressing room according to some. Bad attitude, accused of partying too much, show pony, too many haircuts etc etc; it gets so tiresome to read.

Gutted it never worked out for him because he’s a unique player that can be so exciting to watch on his day, but it is what it is, and it’s time to move on.
Really good post. I disagree that it's time to move on, but you make the case without appearing to have an agenda or this weird animosity his critics seem to have. I still see a place for him, though. Maybe that's selfish of me, as he's probably my favourite player in world football to watch, but it's really difficult to let go of the football equivalent of a treasure chest.

Vanrouge

Whatever 'horrendous form' you claim he's had, he without fail provides more than his counterparts in midfield, time and again. Even when injured and being rushed back, ya know like when he got us to top four with his performances pretty much on his own.

Show me examples of Paul Pogba hinting he wants away from United. I think what your referring to is his agent, the GOAT level cnut that is Raiola, the agent we knew he had when we signed him. The agent that just recently flew an under contract Haaland around Europe visiting prospective clubs!!
Paul saying once or twice in interviews when being directly asked about Real Madrid 'you never know in the future' is exactly the answer you will get from 100% of footballers.

Pogba is treated like he is desperate to get away from the club purely because of his agent, which we should have fully expected because his agent is like this with every client he has. Every time Paul doesn't play well people view him as a lazy b@stard who want's to go to Madrid. Every time another player plays worse and offers up far less over the course of the season it's 'ah they just aren't good enough and it's mostly Ole's fault.'

To put Pogba ahead of players who have actively tried to engineer moves away and players who just wanted a paycheck like DiMaria is a madness in my opinion, Paul clearly wanted to do well here or he would have never returned and spent a large part of his career here.
Again, another good post. It's encouraging to see that not all our fans have fallen for the anti-Pogba agenda often stoked by media pundits and rival fans.

RedDevil@84

Again, another good post. It's encouraging to see that not all our fans have fallen for the anti-Pogba agenda often stoked by media pundits and rival fans.
Most fans have seen Pogba playing for us for 5 years and they are perfectly capable of making their opinions on his worth to the team, independent of the media circus.

So there is no need to climb on a high horse and create this group of "intelligent fans" just because they feel Pogba is worth a mega contract for next 5 years.

The Bloody-Nine

It's absolutely hilarious that anyone is gullible enough to believe Raiola wasn't saying exactly what Pogba wanted him to. Pogba doesn't give a shit about United. He never has.

Posh Red

Really good post. I disagree that it's time to move on, but you make the case without appearing to have an agenda or this weird animosity his critics seem to have. I still see a place for him, though. Maybe that's selfish of me, as he's probably my favourite player in world football to watch, but it's really difficult to let go of the football equivalent of a treasure chest.
I half agree with you. He is a special, unique player. But I’ve now accepted that it’s unlikely to work out. Unless the new manager can change that somehow? Who knows.

Vanrouge

I half agree with you. He is a special, unique player. But I’ve now accepted that it’s unlikely to work out. Unless the new manager can change that somehow? Who knows.
It could well be more wishful thinking on my part than any great insight, but it would be tough to see such a talent leave the club, and maybe, just maybe, Rangnick can solve the enigma of Paul Pogba. (I mean, if Didier Deschamps can do it, many better coaches should be able to.)

Vanrouge

Most fans have seen Pogba playing for us for 5 years and they are perfectly capable of making their opinions on his worth to the team, independent of the media circus.

So there is no need to climb on a high horse and create this group of "intelligent fans" just because they feel Pogba is worth a mega contract for next 5 years.
It has nothing to do with intelligence; I'd never be that presumptuous. In fact, don't even know what to call it. Street sense? Savvy? Some people are simply less susceptible to weird narratives such as "Donald Trump is a great president" and "COVID is a hoax," and "Paul Pogba doesn't care about United." Some of us don't fall for snake oil, and I'm not sure why. Haven't you ever looked at a group of people and wondered why on earth or how on earth they can believe what they believe?

The Bloody-Nine

It has nothing to do with intelligence; I'd never be that presumptuous. In fact, don't even know what to call it. Street sense? Savvy? Some people are simply less susceptible to weird narratives such as "Donald Trump is a great president" and "COVID is a hoax," and "Paul Pogba doesn't care about United." Some of us don't fall for snake oil, and I'm not sure why. Haven't you ever looked at a group of people and wondered why on earth or how on earth they can believe what they believe?
Or maybe you're wrong and other people are right. Let's see, he's already left the club once. He's spent the majority of this tenure agitating for a move away. Which is coming soon, by the way.

But yeah, he clearly cares deeply about the club. Not just money.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Or maybe you're wrong and other people are right. Let's see, he's already left the club once. He's spent the majority of this tenure agitating for a move away. Which is coming soon, by the way.

But yeah, he clearly cares deeply about the club. Not just money.
The first move was for Football reason, he moved to be a starter at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Then Pogba couldn't give an interview without talking about United and how it was one his "homes" which is why I never understood the idea a the time that he was Real Madrid bound, it never actually made any sense. And he didn't spent the majority of this tenure agitating for a move away, people have agitated themselves sending him away for the majority of his tenure.

Vanrouge

The first move was for Football reason, he moved to be a starter at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Then Pogba couldn't give an interview without talking about United and how it was one his "homes" which is why I never understood the idea a the time that he was Real Madrid bound, it never actually made any sense. And he didn't spent the majority of this tenure agitating for a move away, people have agitated themselves sending him away for the majority of his tenure.
Exactly this. It's been beyond frustrating to see his character impugned by those who seem almost primed to believe the false narrative. A player this popular with his teammates simply isn't the person certain sections of the media and punditry say he is. It's honestly been a type of defamation. And sadly, without evidence, some of our own fans have fallen for it. There comes a point where it's self-fulfilling.

The Bloody-Nine

So we're pretending his agent, who is paid a lot of money to represent him, has been talking absolute nonsense for years which completely contradicts what Pogba ACTUALLY wants, and which Paul has never to my knowledge publicly disputed.

Don't fall for snake oil, huh?

RUCK4444

Exactly this. It's been beyond frustrating to see his character impugned by those who seem almost primed to believe the false narrative. A player this popular with his teammates simply isn't the person certain sections of the media and punditry say he is. It's honestly been a type of defamation. And sadly, without evidence, some of our own fans have fallen for it. There comes a point where it's self-fulfilling.
Yup I’ve been arguing this and getting hammered for it for so long now. I understand some of the criticism but it goes so much further than it needs to.

RUCK4444

So we're pretending his agent, who is paid a lot of money to represent him, has been talking absolute nonsense for years which completely contradicts what Pogba ACTUALLY wants, and which Paul has never to my knowledge publicly disputed.

Nobody instructs Raiola what to do, he’s a law unto himself, always has been.

Pogba told him to wind his neck in on his last rant, eventually.

But this is what he does in order to whip up a market and make the most money for himself and his client. Look what he did with Haaland just recently, took him in a tour of Europes top clubs whilst under contract at Dortmund!!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Your point was about caring deeply for the club, there is nothing that tells you otherwise, Pogba has never said a bad word about the club and when he wasn't at United he always said good things about it. Similarly he always say good things about Juventus. Then you conclude that he only cares about money but ask yourself this question since 2016, what is it that United didn't provide to Pogba, money or a CL contender caliber team? Pogba could have won more money in 2016 if picked the likes of PSG or Real Madrid but he didn't.

ReallyUSA

Wish him the best. Sucks it didn't work here, but hey it was everyone's fault

E-mal

It would have made perfect sense if we'd sold him for a fee but it's what its.
Wish him the best if indeed we are parting ways, hopefully we build our team with good functional players.