Pogba's contract offer

Brophs

The One and Only
The post is in the same sphere as Ronaldo’s “I’ll decide when…” comments recently. Players like that always feel things are within their control, that their fate is within their own hands.

As for it being a standard PR post, I’d say that’s generous in the extreme. It’s fairly obviously a response to Rangnick’s comments.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Looks like he and Cavani play from the same book.

"Fein injury....get three weeks in Dubai...laugh at the fans"

IF Utd are dumb enough to give him a new contract....I will try and be done with Utd.

Surely they can't be that stupid? Can they???
At least Cavani showed some passion whenever he played.
Pogba should pay back Utd some of his wages, nevermind getting a new contract.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Even at his best, he's a player who dwells on the ball and slows down attacks, same as Maguire. Maybe its a luxury of watching Scholes while growing up but its a pet peeve of mine whenever a player stands still with his foot on top of the ball.

Fergie 7ime

Yeah, it is weird.

I have this nagging feeling Pogba isn't getting the offers he was expecting elsewhere and now finds himself forced to re-sign with us.

I'm probably being paranoid though :p
This has been obvious for years now. He would have been gone for a long time, would he’ve received a nice offer from another big club. But they’re not fecking blind and won’t go anywhere near him.

The ‘sad’ thing is that you can see it took a toll on him confidence wise. Before he could marvel the world with 1 minute of brilliance. But now, the only thing we see is 89 minutes of shite. And the lack of absurd hairstyles shows that he’s not even expressing himself anymore. Which I must say I find very amusing.

But then I wake up and what scares me the most is that the club actually offered him a new contract. This proves to me that the commercial aspect still overshadows what happens on the pitch. And as long as this is the case, we are not going to win anything.

tomaldinho1

How would posters here feel if Ten Hag specifically greenlit Pogba being offered a new contract?
Worried. His form has been terrible for years, he’s injury prone this is him at his peak.

Billy Bullcrap

Supports
Wrexham
Pogba is a real enigma. Brilliant one minute then woeful for an hour. Im convinced he has the ability to be world class but not the determination.
I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the dressing room.

BigRon1985

This has been obvious for years now. He would have been gone for a long time, would he’ve received a nice offer from another big club. But they’re not fecking blind and won’t go anywhere near him.

The ‘sad’ thing is that you can see it took a toll on him confidence wise. Before he could marvel the world with 1 minute of brilliance. But now, the only thing we see is 89 minutes of shite. And the lack of absurd hairstyles shows that he’s not even expressing himself anymore. Which I must say I find very amusing.

But then I wake up and what scares me the most is that the club actually offered him a new contract. This proves to me that the commercial aspect still overshadows what happens on the pitch. And as long as this is the case, we are not going to win anything.
I took the lack of absurd hairstyles as a sign he was finally knuckling down and concentrating on football and getting back to his best form.

I was wrong.............

soapythecat

No way on earth he stays at United. Ralf isn’t keen and I’m pretty sure he’s going to get a good say in how it goes now.
Can’t wait to see him, his inflated ego and entourage gone from our club. Good luck PSG (where he will do well in that league).

mancan92

At least Cavani showed some passion whenever he played.
Pogba should pay back Utd some of his wages, nevermind getting a new contract.
Some of you guys are genuinely just hateful. Pogba has played every match he's been fit for 6 seasons. Cavani literally has been sitting on the beach enjoying his holidays. Yet you give him some credit for running a bit last season......

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Even at his best, he's a player who dwells on the ball and slows down attacks, same as Maguire. Maybe its a luxury of watching Scholes while growing up but its a pet peeve of mine whenever a player stands still with his foot on top of the ball.
To be fair, Pogba at his best is simply unplayable. The only problem is, this doesn’t really happen often enough, maybe less than few games a season.

DickDastardly

Pogba - United relationship is so toxic you could write a book about it.

"He was here, he was young.....we didn't appreciate him enough, he went to Italy and fell in love with an older lady, but once we came calling he came back......we made a promise evertyhing is going to get better.....he said he'll try and be the best he can......"

It's time.

This just isn't working. We need to end this. He needs to end this.

Move on. It's going to be the best for both of us.

Tap

Looks like he and Cavani play from the same book.

"Fein injury....get three weeks in Dubai...laugh at the fans"

IF Utd are dumb enough to give him a new contract....I will try and be done with Utd.

Surely they can't be that stupid? Can they???
Of course this club is capable of such stupidity.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some of you guys are genuinely just hateful. Pogba has played every match he's been fit for 6 seasons. Cavani literally has been sitting on the beach enjoying his holidays. Yet you give him some credit for running a bit last season......
I am not hateful, not at all. It's just the fact that Pogba was regarded as a high caliber player, was transferred being the most expensive player at the time(it's still a large transfer fee even for today's standards), had one of the biggest salaries and played for us during his prime years, yet he never showed any passion, desire or ambition, jogging in midfield all the time. It is about expectation. I expected Pogba to carry us, to be a leader, a captain, the best midfielder in the PL, why not.
Cavani on the other hand was brought for free, was past his prime and I never expected him to be a star player for us, just a backup and used whenever is needed.

davidmichael

Is anyone actually bothered that Pogba is now done with the club ? Honestly the sooner the club moves on from the circus with Pogba and goes with a fully functional midfield the better, not having to hear the opinions and blatant disrespect aimed at the club from his cnut brothers and bigger cnut agent whilst Pogba lurks in the background like it isn’t coming from him will be a god send.

RedDevil@84

I am not hateful, not at all. It's just the fact that Pogba was regarded as a high caliber player, was transferred being the most expensive player at the time(it's still a large transfer fee even for today's standards), had one of the biggest salaries and played for us during his prime years, yet he never showed any passion, desire or ambition, jogging in midfield all the time. It is about expectation. I expected Pogba to carry us, to be a leader, a captain, the best midfielder in the PL, why not.
Cavani on the other hand was brought for free, was past his prime and I never expected him to be a star player for us, just a backup and used whenever is needed.
I am not sure why it is not so obvious that Pogba cannot be compared to several other players because of the expectation.
Several people argue about Pogba being our best MF in last 5 years. He was competing with Fred, McT and Herrera ffs.

FerociousCorgis

For me it just comes down to ETH. Does he want him here or not. Hopefully club is in contact with him and is his choice not the boards

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hopefully club is in contact with him and is his choice not the boards
He should be involved, yes. As in - he should be consulted on whether he thinks Pogba will be a useful asset or not.

But he absolutely should not be making the decision as such.

If we are to move forward it is essential that we establish an authority on the football side that is not the "manager" (as we have traditionally called it) - but someone who is above the "manager" and whose job it is to make sure that we follow a sustainable long-term plan with regard to player recruitment and contracts.

FerociousCorgis

He should be involved, yes. As in - he should be consulted on whether he thinks Pogba will be a useful asset or not.

If we are to move forward it is essential that we establish an authority on the football side that is not the "manager" (as we have traditionally called it) - but someone who is above the "manager" and whose job it is to make sure that we follow a sustainable long-term plan with regard to player recruitment and contracts.
nah this is a situation where i think he should have final say. If you want a transfer committee that is one thing, but this is a player here at the club. If ETH doesnt think he fits what he is doing then what the hell is the point of bringing him on if you saddle him with players he says no to. This isnt a "long-term issue", this is a singular moment issue of a player about to be out of contract that can easily be remedied. I can understand the logic of a transfer debate where ETH might prefer one guy, but someone higher up can say well player x that you want will cost 80 percent of our budget and we wont have money to help you elsewhere. Players y and z are both similar in style to player x and can easily be fit into budget, what do you (ETH) think about those.

But for me i would assume the issue of pogba prob came up as they were hiring ETH, with how big of a player he is.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I'm not sure we haven't done it already in the past with several players:
Shaw, Martial and Herrera - Van Gaal
Pogba - Mourinho
Ronaldo - Ole

It really depends on who is above the manager and how qualified that person(or group) really is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If ETH doesnt think he fits what he is doing then what the hell is the point of bringing him on if you saddle him with players he says no to.
Ah, yes - that's different.

I wasn't actually considering that scenario.

To be clear - he should be consulted and if he says that he doesn't want Pogba, then Pogba obviously should NOT get a new contract.

I was thinking more along the lines of him wanting Pogba - in which case, the long-term consequences of giving him a new contract should be left to someone other than him.

FerociousCorgis

To be clear - he should be consulted and if he says that he doesn't want Pogba, then Pogba obviously should NOT get a new contract.

I was thinking more along the lines of him wanting Pogba - in which case, the long-term consequences of giving him a new contract should be left to someone other than him.
yeah that would fit more into wanting player x but instead player y or z type.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It really depends on who is above the manager and how qualified that person(or group) really is.
Yes - precisely.

Player recruitment is an extremely important part of running a football club. It should be left to competent people (of course) - but also to people who aren't potentially out the door as soon as results aren't good enough (the "manager" in traditional British terms).

United never had to worry about this aspect as long as Fergie was the manager. He hardly ever fecked up in terms of identifying the right targets. But those days are over, as we all know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
yeah that would fit more into wanting player x but instead player y or z type.
We should have a recruitment policy - in short. And that policy should be the club's - not the manager's.

Starting from an overall - call it what you will - "philosophy" (what profile of player do we go for, based on how we want to play, but also on the player's personal/individual traits, etc.). The manager or head coach has to work within the framework of that "philosophy" - but he should obviously have a say with regard to what particular players (who do fit the profile) we go for.

Then you go to work assessing who is attainable, who is a good fit within the wage structure - and all the rest of it.

AndySmith1990

We should have a recruitment policy - in short. And that policy should be the club's - not the manager's.

Starting from an overall - call it what you will - "philosophy" (what profile of player do we go for, based on how we want to play, but also on the player's personal/individual traits, etc.). The manager or head coach has to work within the framework of that "philosophy" - but he should obviously have a say with regard to what particular players (who do fit the profile) we go for.

Then you go to work assessing who is attainable, who is a good fit within the wage structure - and all the rest of it.
We do have a recruitment policy. Sign popular players to boost the commercial appeal of the club, and give everyone a new contract to protect their value. Rinse and repeat until we find the next Ferguson

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hardly a mountain of offers landing his way is there? Barely any speculation other than PSG.

He's been found out. Clubs have finally wised up to the fact he's such a ridiculously inconsistent and flawed footballer.

lsd

The Oracle
Hardly a mountain of offers landing his way is there? Barely any speculation other than PSG.

He's been found out. Clubs have finally wised up to the fact he's such a ridiculously inconsistent and flawed footballer.

I'm sorry do the offers for him go through yourself first?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We do have a recruitment policy. Sign popular players to boost the commercial appeal of the club, and give everyone a new contract to protect their value. Rinse and repeat until we find the next Ferguson
Yeah, I (obviously) meant a recruitment policy that isn't shite/idiotic.

redmanx

If ETH is going to have any chance of succeeding he has to off load the dross; 3 managers have tried to shoe horn Pogba into the team and all failed; you cant make a silk purse out of a cows ear.

RedStarUnited

I must be one of the few people in this forum who actually wants him to stay. We have much, much bigger needs and problems in the squad before we sort out the Pogba issue.

Yeah he hasn't always been great, but not a single player in this team has. If he goes we will be left with Fred, Scott and VDB as our only midfield options (I dont count Bruno) and that is just not good enough. As a priority we need a DM, a RB and a RW. If Pogba goes we will also need a CM.

Resign him, set an affordable sell on price 40m ish for next summer and sell him then when we can get a propper replacement in.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If ETH is going to have any chance of succeeding he has to off load the dross; 3 managers have tried to shoe horn Pogba into the team and all failed; you cant make a silk purse out of a cows ear.
If I were him, I'd be fine with Pogba leaving.

The point was more about the principle of the thing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I must be one of the few people in this forum who actually wants him to stay. We have much, much bigger needs and problems in the squad before we sort out the Pogba issue.

Yeah he hasn't always been great, but not a single player in this team has. If he goes we will be left with Fred, Scott and VDB as our only midfield options (I dont count Bruno) and that is just not good enough. As a priority we need a DM, a RB and a RW. If Pogba goes we will also need a CM.

Resign him, set an affordable sell on price 40m ish for next summer and sell him then when we can get a propper replacement in.
There are too many stupid posts in these threads to interact with; but I would say a genuine concern with him as a player is his fitness, mobility and agility have all really plummeted, like really plummeted.

I don't know if covid has done a number on him, but he legitimately cannot last 90 robust minutes anymore, and he is sluggish. The mass he has put on is a hindrance as he didn't need more strength, already being one of the strongest players in the league. His injury problems do not bode well at all, either.

I believe a better manager will get a tune out of him, but I wouldn't put any money on him remaining fit for any concerted period of time, and for that kind of wage, it literally doesn't matter what talent you're dealing with - be it a Pogba, Bale, Dembele or any other injury prone player - their worth to the team, seeing as they miss so many games, is questionable.

Pogba is also not young anymore and doesn't have time on his side; given his body type and athletic decline we're already witnessing, is he a prudent investment at the kind of outlay he comes with? I don't think there's many that will objectively say yes without all the bile directed at him you see on here.

If I'm putting so much money into a marquee player, he has to be fit and available for the majority of games played in a campaign, and I am not sure Pogba is capable of that any more.

It doesn't matter who the player is, once you enter the realm of top earners in a league for the position, the outlay must be validated. Pogba, Maguire, Rashford, Martial and to a lesser extent, De Gea, must justify their wage, or be removed with the equivalent being pumped into a replacement who plays like a top earner is supposed to.

AndySmith1990

He doesn't want to be here!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Just like they were smart with Hazard?
Hazard missed 4 games due to injury in the season prior to signing for RM.

Contrast that with Pogba's estimated 19 games missed this season.

The folks at Real Madrid aren't the brightest bunch, but unlike Woodward & co, they know how to find the injury page on transfermarkt.com.

RedStarUnited

He doesn't want to be here!
I know its hard to take this as a fan but a lot of players play for money. Him not wanting to be here is a question of how much and like I said we have much bigger issues in the squad. that I think need seeing to immediately.