Pogba's Return Role

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The only way he ever fit well for us was as left forward. Mind, that was with Shawberto Carlos in the form of his life.

RedMarcus

I wouldn't even have him on the bench. He is a parasite and has no intention of playing for us again unless he is forced to. My only gripe is that we will lose him for free in the summer but i will be glad to see the back of him.

Bwuk

It’ll be Pogba, Bruno & McTominay in a midfield 3.

redmanx

I wouldn't even have him on the bench. He is a parasite and has no intention of playing for us again unless he is forced to. My only gripe is that we will lose him for free in the summer but i will be glad to see the back of him.
Me too, we've had 6 years of excuses, poor performancs, with, admittedly a few decent ones, and very little return for the money we paid for him and the money we to pay him. Let another team have him; if he comes good for them, fine, I dont hate the guy, I just dont think he is or ever was a Manchester United player.

Ollie Derbyshire

If he has the right attitude when he returns then we need to utilise him now more than ever, be that because he wants to do well for us or for his next move. We’d need to play him as an 8 or LM not as a 6, that would be pointless. As big a disappointment as he’s been if he has a good run of games that could make the difference for top 4. I also don’t think we’ve used him properly since we brought him back.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He's useless in a high press team. I would bin him tbh

Bertie Wooster

We don't have a huge amount of options in the midfield / attacking areas currently, so I don't really get any talk of not utilising him if he's fit and available.

With a matchday squad of 20, and our record with injuries, then he's clearly going to be needed for all games, when available, as a sub or starter.

Where he starts depends on the formation, and available personnel, for that game. Provided he's performing as well / no worse than the other options, then the fact he can play a number of roles is very handy, with options more reduced than usual.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Most detractors on here don't get it. But Ian Wright does. Pogba at Juventus had enormous freedom on the left (in a stable midfield) and it was idiotic for the managers who were to come to not instantly recognize that was clearly his best role. Trying to shoehorn him in to some deep lying midfielder at that age was a colossal error. Ragnick will play him heavily because Ralph knows football.

These people who have their feelings hurt and their brittle spirits smashed because he wanted to leave or because he's a cultured technical footballer who doesn't sprint around like some Brexit footballer, can enjoy the passing of Scott McFerguson for the next while.

Andersonson

Most detractors on here don't get it. But Ian Wright does. Pogba at Juventus had enormous freedom on the left (in a stable midfield) and it was idiotic for the managers who were to come to not instantly recognize that was clearly his best role. Trying to shoehorn him in to some deep lying midfielder at that age was a colossal error. Ragnick will play him heavily because Ralph knows football.

These people who have their feelings hurt and their brittle spirits smashed because he wanted to leave or because he's a cultured technical footballer who doesn't sprint around like some Brexit footballer, can enjoy the passing of Scott McFerguson for the next while.
So Ralph who is pressing manager will let our want-away midfielder have a free role for 5 months before he goes?

I think not

redmanx

If he has the right attitude when he returns then we need to utilise him now more than ever, be that because he wants to do well for us or for his next move. We’d need to play him as an 8 or LM not as a 6, that would be pointless. As big a disappointment as he’s been if he has a good run of games that could make the difference for top 4. I also don’t think we’ve used him properly since we brought him back.
Here we go again, "if he has the right attitude" "if he has a good run" I cant think of another player, from any period or any team, whose contribution is all dependent on "if!" Paul Pogbas entire career at United has been all about "if" and thats how we'll remember him; as somebody who could have been a major star for us, "if".......Im more concerned with "when" as in "when" is he leaving!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This is getting boring. He'll get a lot of hate initially, he'll prove everyone wrong with his quality, he'll make one or two mistakes and everyone will jump on his back. He's been quality for the last couple seasons bar injury.

We were playing some of our best football under Ole during lockdown when Bruno and Pogba were in midfield together. How do people forget this so easily. Let's just use him until he's gone.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Here we go again, "if he has the right attitude" "if he has a good run" I cant think of another player, from any period or any team, whose contribution is all dependent on "if!" Paul Pogbas entire career at United has been all about "if" and thats how we'll remember him; as somebody who could have been a major star for us, "if".......Im more concerned with "when" as in "when" is he leaving!
Nah. When he leaves I would have completely forgotten about the adult Pogba. Only remember his performances as a teenager. Then in 10 years time I will ask myself, ''wonder what happened to that kid that was full of potential at United? What's his name.... Pogbi, Pogbe or was it Pogba, Pogbo?

CloneMC16

I agree that it was dumb to try and shoehorn him into our double pivot. Being so good at playing long passes is probably why Mourinho and Ole tried to play him deep in midfield. When we actually got to see it, our best midfield in years was Matic, Herrera and Pogba.

Where you lose me is that you believe he will play because of Rangnick. You clearly dislike McT, but Rangnick seems to be very impressed with him. He even said he sees him being United captain at some point. There isn't really a big compliment than that. I'm also not the biggest fan of McT, but all of our managers seem to like him.

Longshanks

Replacing van de beek. On the bench to be used in emergencys only.

In Rainbows

Some people here actually underrate him due to expectations (from reputation, salary, transfer fee).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Thought he would be perfect for 4222 role. But just that 4222 doesn't suit us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I agree that it was dumb to try and shoehorn him into our double pivot. Being so good at playing long passes is probably why Mourinho and Ole tried to play him deep in midfield. When we actually got to see it, our best midfield in years was Matic, Herrera and Pogba.

Where you lose me is that you believe he will play because of Rangnick. You clearly dislike McT, but Rangnick seems to be very impressed with him. He even said he sees him being United captain at some point. There isn't really a big compliment than that. I'm also not the biggest fan of McT, but all of our managers seem to like him.
And all of them are playing shite football, with shite performance and shite result.

RatPack

Typical expectation from Pogba

“We really need him” “he will do [ ] this for us” “Which position”

Reality from Pogba

“Recovery in Dubai” “Left for free to Juve”

It’s one of the miracles of the modern world that anyone has any Expectations from his Utd career at this stage. I would rather give Mejbri a run and see what happens
Fully agree.
Pogba might win us one match with great play but the he will loose us the next.
Give young players the change instead and pray that McT is not injured as he is the only player we have for DM (Matic is tooooo old).

norm87cro

People still use words like utilylize, his best position, suitable and how to use him properly. When Bruno signed for the club he had a few fantastic months not just because he is a talented midfielder but because he was HUNGRY. Pogba has shown little interest to adopt and maybe not be a defensive liability all the time showing glimpses of class here and there. That isnt good enough here and it's not good enough for Juventus or Real or any other top club

Oldyella

The bench. And he's lucky to make that tbh. He's just stringing us along while he looks for better offers, why put him back in the team?

Stacks

Funny when people says we have a poor midfield, yet we have one of the best midfielder in football in this team. Can't wait for pogba to return and hopefully Ralf utilizes him properly, preferably as a 8. His return will be the best signing,, but to get the best out of him, we need a dm in the mold of Verratti behind him or play him as a 10 with Mc | Fred and rice behind him.
doesn't really play at that level since we had him but for brief runs

Ian Wright watched feck all of him playing at Juve. I posted before that he is not much better here than at Juve but you have created this fantasy versions of Juve Pogba and France Pogba. Also he had more time on the ball in Italy so probably looked better on the ball where as here he gets pressed, falls over or enters physical battles unnecessarily.

Hammondo

No.10?
Winger?
Deep lying playmakerish position ala France?
Box to Box?
Left midfielder in a 3 ala Juventus?
CDM as we haven't signed anyone?
False 9?

Regardless of choice we really need him. Any kind of good form from him and we can grab top 4 and are a darkhorse in Champions League and FA Cup.

Regardless of your opinion of him he is so good that he can turn our season around if he is motivated and if management can replicate his France role.

France builds the team around him properly, can we?
France do struggle in midfield against some opposition though.

redmanx

doesn't really play at that level since we had him but for brief runs

Ian Wright watched feck all of him playing at Juve. I posted before that he is not much better here than at Juve but you have created this fantasy versions of Juve Pogba and France Pogba. Also he had more time on the ball in Italy so probably looked better on the ball where as here he gets pressed, falls over or enters physical battles unnecessarily.
I dont give a damn what Pogba did for Juve or what he does for France....he doesnt do it for Manchester United! As you say, at Juve he had more time, the game is slower, just as it usually is in Internationals. If Pogba is allowed time on the ball to apply his undoubted talent he can destroy opponenents, but in the Prem players dont have that luxury, though the very best of them can make it look as if they have all the time they need. Pogba simply couldnt cope with the pace and the aggression or adapt his game, and I wonder if he ever truly tried to. I will give him credit for one thing though and thats cutting out the ridiculous way he used to go down waving his arms for a free kick every time an opponent won the ball off him, though in all probability even that was down to Ole asking him not to do it.

MUFC OK

This is getting boring. He'll get a lot of hate initially, he'll prove everyone wrong with his quality, he'll make one or two mistakes and everyone will jump on his back. He's been quality for the last couple seasons bar injury.

We were playing some of our best football under Ole during lockdown when Bruno and Pogba were in midfield together. How do people forget this so easily. Let's just use him until he's gone.
Short memories. I got slated for saying the same. It doesn't take a genius to realise that having two top quality creative outlets is better than one.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I think Pogba could be a very valuable player for Ralf in the next few months. If those two see eye to eye the he could be the catalyst for a winning run. He might even sign. I know he has fecked about abit but I want to see him perform for a manager who demands excellence.

Last edited:

Trex

I'm beginning to seriously loose interest in the game after the weekend incident.
Come to think of it, do the Glazers fancy discussions like this. Nothing matters more than the bottom line.
Nothing matter to the players more their paycheck.
Do a bunch of individuals like this group deserve the attention we give them, they're the worst Man utd team in over 30 years and they earn the most, yet they feel entitled to being giving more, Pogba and whoever could fit in anywhere he wants to or f**k off.

suheilsworld

Let’s at least see him play for Ralf and then go all negative on him. He always turns up for interim managers :p
Has he returned from Dubai though as I thought I saw the Dubai contingent return to Carrington

Abraxas

I honestly don't know. I think this idea of Fred/McT/Bruno in a deeper role has had a lot of merit. It has given us some extra control and security. Bringing Pogba into that fold looks a bit like going backwards.

So maybe in a forward position. Problem is he doesn't really convince in that role. He's had the odd good game off the left but he's had some shockers too.

Hard to get excited about him because it feels like no matter where we try and insert him it gives problems and you know you'll get the usual randomness in his performances.

BVD

if we want the best out of him then he should always play on the left of a midfield 3, (in a 433)

but needs a quality holding midfielder next to him.

OleTheGreat

No.10?
Winger?
Deep lying playmakerish position ala France?
Box to Box?
Left midfielder in a 3 ala Juventus?
CDM as we haven't signed anyone?
False 9?

Regardless of choice we really need him. Any kind of good form from him and we can grab top 4 and are a darkhorse in Champions League and FA Cup.

Regardless of your opinion of him he is so good that he can turn our season around if he is motivated and if management can replicate his France role.

France builds the team around him properly, can we?
You are kidding me if you say that France have built a team around him. Have you seen the France team or do you even know who all play for France? His absence in that French team will make no difference what so ever but he is a definite starter in my Man United team because he is definitely a fantastic player. I still don't think he's world class because he doesn't improve the players around him, also he doesn't really have that urge to push. He's all fancy and thinks swag will speak on behalf of him. Well! it doesn't.. When Ralf gives him the opportunity as one of the 8s on the left, he needs to grab his chance and prove he's world class or I wouldn't worry if he leaves in the summer.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I remember what Scholes said that Pogba needs someone on him during the game to keep him sharp. Ralf might be able to do that from the bench but Utd do lack a leader.