g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pogba's Return Role

SonyaCross493

Play Pogba off the left and he can interchange with Bruno during the match to shoehorn him back in the starting team

Sancho Ronaldo/Cavani Pogba

that front 3 would score loads of goals together. So mad creative unlike having the likes of Rashford and he-who-shall-not-be named playing selfish as wide-forwards which means we didn't work to create high percentage chances.. instead we constantly shoot outside the box with pot-shots which occasionally go in.

Last edited:

Ollie Derbyshire

Here we go again, "if he has the right attitude" "if he has a good run" I cant think of another player, from any period or any team, whose contribution is all dependent on "if!" Paul Pogbas entire career at United has been all about "if" and thats how we'll remember him; as somebody who could have been a major star for us, "if".......Im more concerned with "when" as in "when" is he leaving!
Beggars can’t be choosers at the minute, I’d use him for the rest of this season if he warrants a place in the first 11.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yes players have unique traits and qualities, but they are also only as good as the instructions they receive. If Bruno and Pogba are well drilled on the roles and responsibilities they have within the team, then there is no reason why they can’t work together as part of a three.

What you’ll never get from Pogba is a pressing machine, because he’s just not that type of player, but as a professional footballer, if he is well drilled enough, what you can expect is him to press to a reasonable level. That comes down to coaching and other factors such as the desire of the player to be a part of the collective. He will never be a Kanye type, but it’s well within his physical capabilities to do it at a reasonable level. Bruno is much more naturally inclined towards pressing, but he needs to be well drilled to mind his defensive and transition responsibilities.

mavradal

Really hope he'll feel the need to prove himself on the pitch in order to get his bonus/salary increase when he transfers to Real Madrid, Juventus or PSG in the summer.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Here we go again, "if he has the right attitude" "if he has a good run" I cant think of another player, from any period or any team, whose contribution is all dependent on "if!" Paul Pogbas entire career at United has been all about "if" and thats how we'll remember him; as somebody who could have been a major star for us, "if".......Im more concerned with "when" as in "when" is he leaving!
That’s because for some bizarre reason Pogba is viewed in some kind of vacuum, where team performance and form doesn’t matter. I’ve seen other players called rubbish or criticised for poor form but Pogba is the only player I see being called inconsistent when the truth is he’s been as consistent as anybody bar perhaps a couple of defenders, and that’s debatable now. He’s never had 12 months of poor form week in week out or even close to it but somehow carries this narrative around that he only plays well one game in 5. Yet we’ve had some 1 game in 10 players over the past twelve months viewed far more favourably.

devips

That’s because for some bizarre reason Pogba is viewed in some kind of vacuum, where team performance and form doesn’t matter. I’ve seen other players called rubbish or criticised for poor form but Pogba is the only player I see being called inconsistent when the truth is he’s been as consistent as anybody bar perhaps a couple of defenders, and that’s debatable now. He’s never had 12 months of poor form week in week out or even close to it but somehow carries this narrative around that he only plays well one game in 5. Yet we’ve had some 1 game in 10 players over the past twelve months viewed far more favourably.
Can't be helped. Pogba is United's most expensive buy, fans have more expectations of him, than say, Fred. He can't be seen in equal terms with Fred, Mct or some such player. He and his admirers have to be prepared to face criticism if he falls short of expectations.

Can't be helped. Pogba is United's most expensive buy, fans have more expectations of him, than say, Fred.
I mean, if we're going down that path then Fred is in the all-time top ten. Definitely a lot of fans (on here and otherwise) who view him more like a plucky youth team graduate than a 50 million pound signing.

Threesus

where do we think he is going to play? On the left or in midfield? Has Ralf given any indications?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
4-3-3

Ronaldo Bruno Cavani

Pogba Fred McTom

Or 4-2-2

Ronaldo Cavani
Pogba Bruno
Fred McT

Or 4-4-2 diamond

Ronaldo Cavani
Bruno
Pogba McT
Fred

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
4-3-3

Ronaldo Bruno Cavani

Pogba Fred McTom

Or 4-2-2

Ronaldo Cavani
Pogba Bruno
Fred McT

Or 4-4-2 diamond

Ronaldo Cavani
Bruno
Pogba McT
Fred
Ronaldo and Cavani providing the width has to be some sort of joke

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ronaldo and Cavani providing the width has to be some sort of joke
You're absolutely right, what was I thinking
Scratch that replace with Sancho & Rashford probably

Gatecrasher27

No.10?
Winger?
Deep lying playmakerish position ala France?
Box to Box?
Left midfielder in a 3 ala Juventus?
CDM as we haven't signed anyone?
False 9?

Regardless of choice we really need him. Any kind of good form from him and we can grab top 4 and are a darkhorse in Champions League and FA Cup.

Regardless of your opinion of him he is so good that he can turn our season around if he is motivated and if management can replicate his France role.

France builds the team around him properly, can we?
Mike's replacement for cone collector

MrSingh2002

As a no8 in a 433.

Elanga Cavani Sancho
Pogba Bruno
McTominay
Telles Maguire Varane Dalot
De Gea

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Can't be helped. Pogba is United's most expensive buy, fans have more expectations of him, than say, Fred. He can't be seen in equal terms with Fred, Mct or some such player. He and his admirers have to be prepared to face criticism if he falls short of expectations.
Pound for pound Pogba has been massively better than Fred. So that makes no sense.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes, I would like to know more about Pogba's "injury".
Perhaps you’d like him to film his surgery to prove he’s not fit…..I mean it’s not like we have a medical team that could see if he was “fit”

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
if we want the best out of him then he should always play on the left of a midfield 3, (in a 433)

but needs a quality holding midfielder next to him.
Haha... are you on dial-up?

You posted this in 2018 and the post just arrived?

sglowrider

You are kidding me if you say that France have built a team around him. Have you seen the France team or do you even know who all play for France? His absence in that French team will make no difference what so ever but he is a definite starter in my Man United team because he is definitely a fantastic player. I still don't think he's world class because he doesn't improve the players around him, also he doesn't really have that urge to push. He's all fancy and thinks swag will speak on behalf of him. Well! it doesn't.. When Ralf gives him the opportunity as one of the 8s on the left, he needs to grab his chance and prove he's world class or I wouldn't worry if he leaves in the summer.
A fantastic Pogba is like Haley's Comet -- it shows up every now & then. But people also forget the number of mistakes or gaps that Pogba leaves that have led to the opponents scoring.

At this point, Pogba's reputation/brand precedes his actual performance.

OleTheGreat

A fantastic Pogba is like Haley's Comet -- it shows up every now & then. But people also forget the number of mistakes or gaps that Pogba leaves that have led to the opponents scoring.

I agree. I'm not overly excited about his return because he hardly plays 15-20 games in a row. Also he might leave in the summer. I'm only excited about the arrival of a new manager or the prospect of watching this Man United team press and counter press in the possible future. Pogba does not fit in that category.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I agree. I'm not overly excited about his return because he hardly plays 15-20 games in a row. Also he might leave in the summer. I'm only excited about the arrival of a new manager or the prospect of watching this Man United team press and counter press in the possible future. Pogba does not fit in that category.
my only hope is that hes desperate to secure his move to madrid or PSG and plays some good enough football to help drag us into the CL spots

if Ralph goes back to his 4222 (I hope not) I could see him and bruno behind Ronaldo and Rashford in some games though as I say I hope we leave that as I dont think we have the full backs needed to play it against top teams

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

What is the number?

sglowrider

my only hope is that hes desperate to secure his move to madrid or PSG and plays some good enough football to help drag us into the CL spots

if Ralph goes back to his 4222 (I hope not) I could see him and bruno behind Ronaldo and Rashford in some games though as I say I hope we leave that as I dont think we have the full backs needed to play it against top teams
I think Pizzaman has already had a pre-agreement signed. It was so big that he must have had a heart attack and landed himself in hospital.

kthanksbye

I know it's not going to happen but I wish Ralf makes him train with the reserves and likewise with anyone who refuses to sign a contract. If he's already thinking about his next club, we should not even be giving him access to our training. What are we training him for? His next club?

Edit - If the manager feels he's a professional who will be committed and will give everything he's got till he's under contract, then we can use him, but that's not a likely scenario with Pogba.

JPRouve

Scout
I know it's not going to happen but I wish Ralf makes him train with the reserves and likewise with anyone who refuses to sign a contract. If he's already thinking about his next club, we should not even be giving him access to our training. What are we training him for? His next club?
Did the club and player signed a contract that ended in January 2022?

Holocene

Edit - If the manager feels he's a professional who will be committed and will give everything he's got till he's under contract, then we can use him, but that's not a likely scenario with Pogba.
Never has a posters username been more fitting.

redmanx

Playing good, attractive football and winning trophies with players who want to play more than pose; players who give their all every match; who dont sulk and whine when they're left out of the starting line up but support their team mates and fight hard to win back their place; who can differentiate between wrong and right both on and off the pitch; who dont bring the name of Manchester United down to their own gutter levels; a team and Club we can all be proud of again. Thats what I want, and any player who cannot or does not fit these criteria does not belong at Manchester United.

DickDastardly

What is the number?
0. This season at least.

That's in 9 games in the PL.

Zero is also the number of goals scored this season.

We all know he's not a defensive midfielder. But that lack of defensive duties is damning. Or at least, it was when he played.
He's lost more duels then he's won, his number of tackles is laughable and his discipline is lacking (yellow and red cards, penalties conceded).

The only good thing he did this year regarding his stats is his assist statistics.
Which is misleading as well, because more then half of them came vs an opened up Leeds.

Please don't sign a new contract with him. We don't need him.

redmanx

0. This season at least.

We all know he's not a defensive midfielder. But that lack of defensive duties is damning. Or at least, it was when he played.
He's lost more duels then he's won, his number of tackles is laughable and his discipline is lacking (yellow and red cards, penalties conceded).

The only good thing he did this year regarding his stats is his assist statistics.
Which is misleading as well, because more then half of them came vs an opened up Leeds.

Well said.

Pintu

Did the club and player signed a contract that ended in January 2022?
They signed a contract to June 2021 including an option (for the club) to extend one year. The club unilaterally chose to activate that extension last season. The contract now runs to June 2022.

JPRouve

Scout
They signed a contract to June 2021 including an option (for the club) to extend one year. The club unilaterally chose to activate that extension last season. The contract now runs to June 2022.
I know, It was a rhetorical question. It seems that some don't think that a contract ends when it is agreed and that clubs have somehow the right to expect more than the terms of the contract.

JPRouve

Scout
0. This season at least.

What are the numbers, just answer that question instead of trying to make every nebulous points you can muster.

DickDastardly

What are the numbers, just answer that question instead of trying to make every nebulous points you can muster.
You asked what is the number of mistakes leading to a goal by Pogba.
The answer is zero. He didn't make a mistake leading to a goal.

My only point is we don't need him and we're a better team without him.

JPRouve

Scout
You asked what is the number of mistakes leading to a goal by Pogba.
The answer is zero. He didn't make a mistake leading to a goal.

My only point is we don't need him and we're a better team without him.
While I don't want us to extend him because I don't see him as an ideal fit, we are not a better team without him and we do need someone with most of his skill set. But most importantly if it's zero then what is the other poster talking about?