Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Is ancient mew still desirable?

I remember I used to have a whole stack of them unopened in their packaging.
not really, I have 4 I bought for like 2 quid each 3 years ago just because I love the card, and it is a great card

Havak

Pokemon master

They're worth a bit more now due to the current hype, but definitely not one of the expensive cards. If you still had them, I bet they'd sell for £20+ each.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I did not expect people to be talking about the TCG in here. So other people collect or play the game? I decided to finish my childhood collections during lockdown last year and somehow ended up playing the actual game with newer cards, even entered a few tournaments in the brief period when they were running again.

Yeah, something like a 25th Anniversary Elite Trainer Box is going to be a hot product I think!
Have you tried to buy any ETB recently? They're basically sold out throughout the country. I was hoping to pick Hidden Fates and Shining Fates ones and have basically assumed that won't be possible without spending stupid money. I was trying to start a sealed ETB collection too. If there's going to be a 25th anniversary one it will be virtually impossible to get hold of.

In unopened original packaging definitely worth more than opened. I think unopened they'll go for ~£15 each right now, but they aren't particularly sought after, there seems to be an abundance of ones in good condition around still (its the only card from my childhood that isn't wrecked and I imagine everyone else was the same).

Havak

Pokemon master
@Turnip

Yeah, the ETBs are crazy. I'm hoping TPCi have managed to alleviate stock shortages by the time that product comes around in October. It's pretty much confirmed but not necessarily 'confirmed' that there will be a 25th Anniversary set in October. Generations had the 20th Anniversary logo on that ETB which I still have sealed. I've got Hidden Fates and some Champion's Path, with some Shining Fates ones on pre-order (hoping they come through).

I want to have a sealed ETB collection of sorts too, but mostly the special sets rather than main sets as I prefer those for collection purposes. I am missing Shining Legends out of the more recent ones... Not sure if I'll want to fork out for one though haha

I got pretty lucky with my local game store and got Hidden Fates, Champion's Path and Shining Fates (for now) at RRP. Also picked up a Vivid Voltage just because I like the box.

Last edited:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Are there any modern cards that look like the old ones? The new ones look cool and all, but I like the old WOTC style. I know there was one deck a couple of years ago that were basically modern versions of old ones, but any others?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Are there any modern cards that look like the old ones? The new ones look cool and all, but I like the old WOTC style. I know there was one deck a couple of years ago that were basically modern versions of old ones, but any others?
Not to my knowledge. But that set 'Evolutions' was a celebration of Pokemons 20th anniversary. This year is the 25th anniversary and whilst it's not even a rumour, a lot of people (including me) are hoping for another kind of og reprint/rejig set. For me the best options would be a Neo or Team Rocket set, but we wont see it until the second half of the year.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Not to my knowledge. But that set 'Evolutions' was a celebration of Pokemons 20th anniversary. This year is the 25th anniversary and whilst it's not even a rumour, a lot of people (including me) are hoping for another kind of og reprint/rejig set. For me the best options would be a Neo or Team Rocket set, but we wont see it until the second half of the year.
Cool I'll have to try and remember to keep an eye out rather than possible find out after, since the prices for literally all of them seem to shoot up right after.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Does anyone know of anywhere other than Ebay and Facebook to get old (I'm looking at finishing base set, fossil and jungle) single cards from? Magic Madhouse do them, but they few they have in stock seem over priced (although maybe because they're generally good condition?). For the cheaper cards it's kind of annoying paying as much for postage as I am on the card, and the rarer cards are generally in awful condition or insane prices (though I think the pricing is probably unavoidable right now) and the photos are nearly always crap so you can't really see what you're buying.

@Turnip

Yeah, the ETBs are crazy. I'm hoping TPCi have managed to alleviate stock shortages by the time that product comes around in October. It's pretty much confirmed but not necessarily 'confirmed' that there will be a 25th Anniversary set in October. Generations had the 20th Anniversary logo on that ETB which I still have sealed. I've got Hidden Fates and some Champion's Path, with some Shining Fates ones on pre-order (hoping they come through).

I want to have a sealed ETB collection of sorts too, but mostly the special sets rather than main sets as I prefer those for collection purposes. I am missing Shining Legends out of the more recent ones... Not sure if I'll want to fork out for one though haha

I got pretty lucky with my local game store and got Hidden Fates, Champion's Path and Shining Fates (for now) at RRP. Also picked up a Vivid Voltage just because I like the box.
Yeah at first I was going to go for all of them, but they've since gone up, even common/unpopular ones are expensive now. I'm just going for the ones I like the best regardless of rarity. I kept a Vivid Voltage (already going for like £75 on Ebay somehow) because I love a fat Pikachu. I think I'm going to wait for the current hype to die down in a few weeks though, I'm reasonably sure some of the prices will normalise once shops start to open again.

Team Rocket is my favourite set, if they do an Evolutions style re-print of that I'm going to have to do dirty things (maybe even overtime, eww) for Pokemon card money. I really hope they don't just skip Jungle and Fossil though, they both have some great artwork in them too.

Havak

Pokemon master
@Turnip

Not fully sure on WotC cards at the moment, but I think the best way would be to try and reach out to collectors on social media. Might be able to strike a bulk deal with someone trustworthy.

As for the ETBs, I agree but if you don't have Hidden Fates or Champion's Path yet, keep a look out. There is apparently a Hidden Fates reprint appearing at big retailers in America (people are finding the boxes in places like Walmart now for rrp). Not sure where you live, but I'd keep checking websites and stores over the next couple of months to see if those ETBs get that last replenishment. I think it will be the last chance to get them anywhere near cheap. I don't think the hyped prices are going away any time soon on those products. Shining Fates over time will probably be marginally easier to get as long as you notice when they're back in stock again. There will likely be small re-stocks every month on those up until the end of Spring.

It could be a different story in America, but I have been a little miffed at a lot of YouTubers I watch saying "Look at Champion's Path, it was out of stock and scalped for months but now it's everywhere". I'm just like, is it bollocks :lol: it's still hardly anywhere in the UK and the places it is, it's £70 not £50. How is that a win for the buyers?

I highly doubt another re-stock is gonna change much, if there is one. People might get lucky and grab one of the last £50 ones, but the price is £70 now.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Team Rocket is my favourite set, if they do an Evolutions style re-print of that I'm going to have to do dirty things (maybe even overtime, eww) for Pokemon card money. I really hope they don't just skip Jungle and Fossil though, they both have some great artwork in them too.
I feel like if you are comparing to base set and only have increments of 5 year anniversaries to work with (though there is absolutely no precedent for this as we've only had one such reprint, but on the assumption that we get one this year..) then out of Jungle, Fossil & Rocket none of them were really strong enough to carry an anniversary set by themselves. Would have to be a combination of all three, or a combination of all four Neo sets.

The only thing I think would be successful if they just opted to redo one single set again is if they did Rocket but most of it was new cards, so more of a naturally 3rd visit to Team Rocket sets (after Team Rocket & Team Rocket Returns) with a few reprints from the original set in it too.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm conflicted about the 25th Anniversary set, but I do feel like it will be more of a mix this time.

I'm saying it'll be a larger set with modernised cards from various sets. As mentioned, Fossil, Jungle, Rocket, and the Neos are candidates. I also think Ruby & Sapphire base is a big contender since it was the first set TPC printed. They may finally want to let WotC go, but I think they know the set will do better if it has reprinted/remade WotC cards.

The main issue I have with stuff like Jungle & Fossil is they made Base Set 2. They could just do a Base Set 2 remade set mostly with some other stuff thrown in... Gives them a way to get Charizard in.

One thing that I reckon they can do for collectors though, is add new versions of the Gold Star cards. Maybe as the secret rares? :drool:

Havak

Pokemon master
Why don't they just have reprints of all the old ones constantly going in addition to the new ones they do? They'd sell loads surely.
I think they try to balance it for the original collectors and whatnot. They know that people invest in these things and don't want to harm the market from a collector standpoint.

They also do not technically own the rights to those original sets, Wizards of the Coast do. Even though they own the rights to the actual monsters and employ the main artists still. The cards in their exact form is something The Pokemon Company / Nintendo don't own, so they can't just print the cards to look exactly the same anyway, only similar.

However, there is a feeling that they have paid WotC off for it. Not sure if forever or just temporary, as the 'Firsr Partner Collection' coming out this year has jumbo size versions of some of those cards, in their exact form. There is hope that this means they can do more with those cards now.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I think they try to balance it for the original collectors and whatnot. They know that people invest in these things and don't want to harm the market from a collector standpoint.

They also do not technically own the rights to those original sets, Wizards of the Coast do. Even though they own the rights to the actual monsters and employ the main artists still. The cards in their exact form is something The Pokemon Company / Nintendo don't own, so they can't just print the cards to look exactly the same anyway, only similar.

However, there is a feeling that they have paid WotC off for it. Not sure if forever or just temporary, as the 'Firsr Partner Collection' coming out this year has jumbo size versions of some of those cards, in their exact form. There is hope that this means they can do more with those cards now.
Yeah true, but wouldn't the collector market still be focused on what's original, so they could carry on in the same way? That's how it is with retro games.

The rights thing makes a lot of sense, I just assume they would be big and rich enough to get whatever rights they would want or need. Hopefully what you say is true!

Havak

Pokemon master
Yeah true, but wouldn't the collector market still be focused on what's original, so they could carry on in the same way? That's how it is with retro games.

The rights thing makes a lot of sense, I just assume they would be big and rich enough to get whatever rights they would want or need. Hopefully what you say is true!
Yeah, I suppose so.

They can definitely afford to do whatever they want. But they won't. I'm a huge Pokemon and Nintendo fan obviously, but the wool is pulled over most people's eyes. They have the biggest media franchise of all time by a significant margin, but they still cheap out almost all the time and want more profit. Company's like EA get a lot of hate and while rightly so, Nintendo & the Pokemon Company are smashing the profits probably even more!

They pay a lot of staff the lowest in the field, often make sub par quality cards etc. Fat cats indeed.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yeah, I suppose so.

They can definitely afford to do whatever they want. But they won't. I'm a huge Pokemon and Nintendo fan obviously, but the wool is pulled over most people's eyes. They have the biggest media franchise of all time by a significant margin, but they still cheap out almost all the time and want more profit. Company's like EA get a lot of hate and while rightly so, Nintendo & the Pokemon Company are smashing the profits probably even more!

They pay a lot of staff the lowest in the field, often make sub par quality cards etc. Fat cats indeed.
Yeah expecting them to do something just because it would be cool for fans and we want something would be silly.

I guess we'll get that sort of thing if they see that they can make enough money from it or it can be used for some kind of publicity for a future product and only then.

Havak

Pokemon master
Changed my mind on what I want the 25th Anniversary set to be again :lol:

Legendary Collection please, Booster Box and all.

Thanks.

Ady87

Changed my mind on what I want the 25th Anniversary set to be again :lol:

Legendary Collection please, Booster Box and all.

Thanks.
A remake of LC would be nuts. People are speculating it might be a set that focuses on a Neo era reprint!

I’m a Pikachu collector, currently got 22 in PSA 10 and 52 more at PSA. The autumn/winter boom has been absolutely crazy for the value of pretty much anything people were holding before that. I’m in a nice place that I can collect what I like but it’s also been a huge return on what I’ve spent.

Found a guy on Instagram that does custom boxes laser engraved and painted for storing toploaders/slabs etc - got one coming next week, Pika themed obviously!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
A remake of LC would be nuts. People are speculating it might be a set that focuses on a Neo era reprint!

I’m a Pikachu collector, currently got 22 in PSA 10 and 52 more at PSA. The autumn/winter boom has been absolutely crazy for the value of pretty much anything people were holding before that. I’m in a nice place that I can collect what I like but it’s also been a huge return on what I’ve spent.

Found a guy on Instagram that does custom boxes laser engraved and painted for storing toploaders/slabs etc - got one coming next week, Pika themed obviously!
Hook me up with a link for that guy on instagram please. Might want to get one as well.

Ady87

He’s @ pokemonclub486 - the latest Pikachu one he’s done is potentially mine - for anyone familiar with the Poncho Pikachu promos, he’s done a box with the Charizard one on but is going to do Rayquaza and Gyarados this week too then I’m going to pick one haha

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
He’s @ pokemonclub486 - the latest Pikachu one he’s done is potentially mine - for anyone familiar with the Poncho Pikachu promos, he’s done a box with the Charizard one on but is going to do Rayquaza and Gyarados this week too then I’m going to pick one haha
You have a collection IG?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve got the Luigis off at PSA. I did have the Marios sealed but I could see the full art had an imperfection so I cashed in before Xmas and kind of wishing I hadn’t now!
ahhh yeah they’re the type of card I think I’d always regret getting rid of, mine are actually sat in top loaders along with the rayquaza ones waiting to go to psa but I never got round to it

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Picked up some of my nicer cards from my parents, definitely going to get these off to PSA

@Ady87 some pikachu for you

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Forgot I picked these up cheap a few years ago too think the price I paid for all 6 is now the price per single one :lol:

also got this because I absolutely love it and for no other reason

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
yeah me too they’re so nice, I’m a bit unsure about what I want to do with them at the moment, part of me wants to get them out the packets to grade and protect if they’re in nice condition
They make a beautiful binder set, some of them can be worth a lot in PSA 10 though. Could open them and pick out the best ones for grading, put the rest in a binder and fill it up with near mint copies when you can.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
They make a beautiful binder set, some of them can be worth a lot in PSA 10 though. Could open them and pick out the best ones for grading, put the rest in a binder and fill it up with near mint copies when you can.
yeah that could be a plan, just something about opening something 20 years old feels wild :lol:

that being said the Mew Pigeot Onix set that bleed into each other is so nice, I’d love a graded set of those

Ady87

Picked up some of my nicer cards from my parents, definitely going to get these off to PSA

@Ady87 some pikachu for you
Thats hot af not gonna lie. I actually just bought both Mario pairs again last night from an eBay seller with 1 feedback for 45% of the going rate and he’s apparently despatched today without tracking. Let’s see how that goes :lol: Assume I’m protected by eBay and PayPal anyway!...

Love the Rayquazs, they’re starting to get the love they deserve. Get them expressed, looking at £5300 just in Pikachus if they score a 10.