Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I am excited for Diamond/Pearl remakes as it will feel like playing an old school Pokemon game. I think that is going to be an underrated feeling that people won't understand until it happens.

It's nice to have so many vastly different Pokemon games all at once. Sword & Shield will still be supported throughout, while Diamond & Pearl and Legends: Arceus will be so different.

The next game will probably use the more successful parts from all the games so far.
But how exactly will Legends be so different? For me they haven't really shown anything that leads me to believe it's very different at all. Of course they didn't actually show that much in the trailer so it could be anything, but they've only given themselves a year to finish it.

Havak

Pokemon master
But how exactly will Legends be so different? For me they haven't really shown anything that leads me to believe it's very different at all. Of course they didn't actually show that much in the trailer so it could be anything, but they've only given themselves a year to finish it.
More-so the visual style compared with the other games and being able to catch Pokemon in slightly different ways in an open world environment.

I am actually a bit worried that Legends will get old fast though. It's a Single Player experience, so unless there's more to it than catching everything and building the first Sinnoh Pokedex... I think it could actually be disappointing from a longevity standpoint.

This Tweet kind of shows what I mean. The four most recent main series Pokemon games all have such a different style.

Maagge

More-so the visual style compared with the other games and being able to catch Pokemon in slightly different ways in an open world environment.

I am actually a bit worried that Legends will get old fast though. It's a Single Player experience, so unless there's more to it than catching everything and building the first Sinnoh Pokedex... I think it could actually be disappointing from a longevity standpoint.

This Tweet kind of shows what I mean. The four most recent main series Pokemon games all have such a different style.
That's partly what I'm worried about with Legends. They've only shown you can catch Pokémon by chucking balls at them which looks a bit meh, and the Pokémon next to the one caught don't even react. Then they've shown it's still the normal turn-based battles, albeit with better animations. It just looks a bit like a tech demo or something, which is worrying for something just a year away.

On the art styles, it's all subjective of course. Personally I think Let's Go look better than the new remakes. And in that screenshot of them you can see what I commented on earlier. Why are they still placing trees in square grids and only allowing themselves those 45 degrees cliff sides? It doesn't look good to be honest. Instead of doing a nice retro style or a modernisation they've ended up somewhere in between, in my opinion.

Sara125

Late to the party but just seen the previews. Reckon the remakes will be another November release. As for Arceus, I’m still not *quite* sure what it entails; according to Wikipedia the story is a prequel to D/P but the trailer didn’t give much in regards to objectives and actual storyline etc. Still excited nonetheless. Snap is looking good too!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
On the art styles, it's all subjective of course. Personally I think Let's Go look better than the new remakes. And in that screenshot of them you can see what I commented on earlier. Why are they still placing trees in square grids and only allowing themselves those 45 degrees cliff sides? It doesn't look good to be honest. Instead of doing a nice retro style or a modernisation they've ended up somewhere in between, in my opinion.
Agreed, it looks almost a generation behind Let's Go IMO. And if you compare it to Link's Awakening to see what a game in that style can be it's absolutely miles behind

Maagge

Agreed, it looks almost a generation behind Let's Go IMO. And if you compare it to Link's Awakening to see what a game in that style can be it's absolutely miles behind

Exactly. With The Link's Awakening remake they went all the way with the toy, almost clay-like, look, and they look great. These Pokémon remakes are just a bit bland and look lazy in comparison.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Open world, no pokemon league, still many details to show but from leaked pamphlets there's a bunch of stuff they haven't shown yet, and anyway I'm still supportive of efforst of breaking the habit of gyms etc, its what everyone been asking for for years now.

Maagge

Open world, no pokemon league, still many details to show but from leaked pamphlets there's a bunch of stuff they haven't shown yet, and anyway I'm still supportive of efforst of breaking the habit of gyms etc, its what everyone been asking for for years now.
I definitely agree with that. And that was my first thought as well, so I was a bit annoyed when we learned there was a professor and three starters and that battles were the same.

But yeah, I'm very happy they're trying to go somewhere new.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I definitely agree with that. And that was my first thought as well, so I was a bit annoyed when we learned there was a professor and three starters and that battles were the same.

I absolutely love turn based battles in Pokemon, I wouldn't be happy with something else, all I need from battles is better animations/scaling, apparently in these games battles are seamless ie no backgrounds you just enter into battle, also if a trainer run out of pokemon apparently they get attacked directly by the wild pokemon which is very interesting, also from what I understood re catching mechanics, the sneaky catches look like they are mostly vs weaker mons while you'll have to weaken the strongers ones.

I'm interested in if they will add quests to how we are going to research mons for the dex and stuff like that, I'm hoping the mons standing still is just pre alpha footage and this will change on release and research might include looking at mons in their natural habitat and how they act, as well as what they are adding to the lore of Arceus and what that story will look like.

There's definitely a lot of potential and it looks like "Legends" might become its own series since in the trailer the sinnoh one is book 1 from 3, I'm not expecting perfection or even something great, just something fresh that can show off the potential of where this series can go is enough for the first entry for me.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
So a few places have started stocking Shining Fates ETBs again, so presumably the next wave of stock is on the way, however the cheapest I've found so far is like £80 which feels like the cheapest I've seen it actually availale and I'm really tempted to crumble and pay the extra, but then I feel like as soon as more stores have stock the price will get closer to RRP and I don't want to reward shops for scalping their own product.

The battles are what confused me, I got the impression from the first half that it would be a more action based battle, then you see a pretty familiar looking battle screen, but then they advertise it as an action RPG, not turn-based. I guess Nintendo have had a trend of not showing a lot until really near the release the last few years so we shouldn't be too surprised to be completely in the dark probably 12 months away from release. I guess if you consider this as a long teaser rather than a trailers its done exactly that, and got everyone's attention, I'm certainly interested to see more.

I know it didn't show much new, but I'm really hyped for Pokemon Snap now.

Maagge

I absolutely love turn based battles in Pokemon, I wouldn't be happy with something else, all I need from battles is better animations/scaling, apparently in these games battles are seamless ie no backgrounds you just enter into battle, also if a trainer run out of pokemon apparently they get attacked directly by the wild pokemon which is very interesting, also from what I understood re catching mechanics, the sneaky catches look like they are mostly vs weaker mons while you'll have to weaken the strongers ones.

I'm interested in if they will add quests to how we are going to research mons for the dex and stuff like that, I'm hoping the mons standing still is just pre alpha footage and this will change on release and research might include looking at mons in their natural habitat and how they act, as well as what they are adding to the lore of Arceus and what that story will look like.

There's definitely a lot of potential and it looks like "Legends" might become its own series since in the trailer the sinnoh one is book 1 from 3, I'm not expecting perfection or even something great, just something fresh that can show off the potential of where this series can go is enough for the first entry for me.
I just feel it's gotten very stale in Pokémon. It's basically been the exact same system since the 90s with four moves. Even down to showing a line of dialogue for every thing going on which is just really slow these days:
"X used Y"
"Critical hit"
"It was super effective"
"Z was poisoned"
"Z used W" and on it goes.
Mobile games have figured out a way to show all that using graphics. And there are a lot of different ways to have turn-based battles, I'm not sure a Pokémon game including all monsters ever is gonna happen any other way, to be honest. I'm just hoping they'll be a bit adventurous one day.

Maagge

So a few places have started stocking Shining Fates ETBs again, so presumably the next wave of stock is on the way, however the cheapest I've found so far is like £80 which feels like the cheapest I've seen it actually availale and I'm really tempted to crumble and pay the extra, but then I feel like as soon as more stores have stock the price will get closer to RRP and I don't want to reward shops for scalping their own product.

The battles are what confused me, I got the impression from the first half that it would be a more action based battle, then you see a pretty familiar looking battle screen, but then they advertise it as an action RPG, not turn-based. I guess Nintendo have had a trend of not showing a lot until really near the release the last few years so we shouldn't be too surprised to be completely in the dark probably 12 months away from release. I guess if you consider this as a long teaser rather than a trailers its done exactly that, and got everyone's attention, I'm certainly interested to see more.

I know it didn't show much new, but I'm really hyped for Pokemon Snap now.
For sure there's a lot we don't know and I'm hoping it'll be a great new direction for the franchise. I'm just a bit worried with what we've seen so close to release.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I just feel it's gotten very stale in Pokémon. It's basically been the exact same system since the 90s with four moves. Even down to showing a line of dialogue for every thing going on which is just really slow these days:
"X used Y"
"Critical hit"
"It was super effective"
"Z was poisoned"
"Z used W" and on it goes.
Mobile games have figured out a way to show all that using graphics. And there are a lot of different ways to have turn-based battles, I'm not sure a Pokémon game including all monsters ever is gonna happen any other way, to be honest. I'm just hoping they'll be a bit adventurous one day.
For me, the battle system in Pokemon is one of the main reasons I still love the series, I don't want an action based battle system, most games now are action based, I much prefer the relaxed turn based for Pokemon, whatever is wrong with the main series, it's not the battle style imo.

Maagge

For me, the battle system in Pokemon is one of the main reasons I still love the series, I don't want an action based battle system, most games now are action based, I much prefer the relaxed turn based for Pokemon, whatever is wrong with the main series, it's not the battle style imo.
That's fair enough. I just think there's a way to do turn-based that doesn't take quite as long. I struggle with playing anything that isn't in an emulator with an option to speed it up.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm also one who loves Pokemon as a turn-based strategic game. I play it competitively and changing it too much would be a massive turn off to me. The mechanics like Mega Evolution, Z Moves and Dynamax have changed the competitive game massively, to a degree where you don't need to change the formula. This is an area that has grown and changed massively, but it isn't really noticeable from the single player aspect.

I don't think they should change the 4-move, turn based approach for the core games. However, I'd like them to try something different for spin offs. Legends was a good chance to change this as it's single player only, but hopefully it's still enjoyable. Game Freak are very reluctant to overhaul things too much as it could turn off lifelong fans and not really bring in a new audience either. Massive risk.

Like I said previously, things that work and receive high praise from Let's Go, Sword & Shield, Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl and Legends will probably be incorporated into the next generation of games. But the core fundamentals of the series don't need to change much for me.

Sara125

I do! It’s a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing but equally I can see a lot of people feeling it isn’t worth the price tag.
Yeah I reckoned it will be fun. Trying to play one game at a time at the minute but this is definitely on my shopping list :D

Havak

Pokemon master
I picked up Snap but only the missus has been on it so far. Probably going to play it a bit myself this weekend, I've just been too hooked on Monster Hunter still.

Sara125

New games coming out always drive me back to the classics. Back on my soulsilver adventure.
Is there a reason this and HG are so expensive? I’ve seen pre-owned ones floating on eBay and CEX for like £60+ and that’s without the poke walker and even without the game case for some

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Is there a reason this and HG are so expensive? I’ve seen pre-owned ones floating on eBay and CEX for like £60+ and that’s without the poke walker and even without the game case for some
A lot of the old games are very expensive for legit copies because I think, I'm general, people hold onto them so there isn't a big second hand market.

In the case of HG and SS I think them being the first games since Yellow to have your pokemon follow you around and also being remakes of what many consider to be the best in the series (two regions including the original) combine to add even more to the value.

Sara125

A lot of the old games are very expensive for legit copies because I think, I'm general, people hold onto them so there isn't a big second hand market.

In the case of HG and SS I think them being the first games since Yellow to have your pokemon follow you around and also being remakes of what many consider to be the best in the series (two regions including the original) combine to add even more to the value.
This makes sense. Had a look at Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby and although they were also expensive for how old they are, they weren’t nearly as expensive as SS and HG. It’s a shame because I never got to play them and I always said I would get round to one day, I’ve even kept my 3DS after all these years.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
@Sara125 I have a feeling that when HG/SS were released it was also at a time when Pokémon was at one of its lowest points in terms of popularity so there just weren’t a ton of games produced and sold (could be wrong) personally I think they were released too early slightly for the kids who played the originals to be fully hungry for the nostalgia with the remakes. Alpha sapphire on the other hand was timed perfectly.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
@Sara125 I have a feeling that when HG/SS were released it was also at a time when Pokémon was at one of its lowest points in terms of popularity so there just weren’t a ton of games produced and sold (could be wrong) personally I think they were released too early slightly for the kids who played the originals to be fully hungry for the nostalgia with the remakes. Alpha sapphire on the other hand was timed perfectly.
The cost of producing the pokewalker which was bundled with HGSS also played a part in the low production run. HGSS was basically sold out from launch and never reprinted unlike the other pokemon games out on the DS.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
The cost of producing the pokewalker which was bundled with HGSS also played a part in the low production run. HGSS was basically sold out from launch and never reprinted unlike the other pokemon games out on the DS.
I'm so ready for a trio of gen 1-3 remasters on the Switch.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got a Switch at the weekend. Been playing through Shield for the first time. It's fun but crikey, like all games now it has been super dumbed-down for the average gamer.

Sara125

Got a Switch at the weekend. Been playing through Shield for the first time. It's fun but crikey, like all games now it has been super dumbed-down for the average gamer.
The inability to turn off exp. all is possibly the worst thing they’ve introduced. Makes the games too easy for it to be any fun.

Havak

Pokemon master
Yeah, I am at least a little surprised that Game Freak haven't introduced ways to tailor the difficulty a bit by now.

You should be able to choose a difficulty setting or at least turn off EXP to all Pokemon if you prefer the grind.

Unfortunately, level does not = difficulty IMO. In these kinds of games, if you are losing you will just grind levels higher and win eventually. I don't particularly see that as difficult, just time consuming. So I am indifferent to EXP All, I'd probably leave it on just to enjoy the game as is. I do understand that some people don't like this though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yeah, I am at least a little surprised that Game Freak haven't introduced ways to tailor the difficulty a bit by now.

You should be able to choose a difficulty setting or at least turn off EXP to all Pokemon if you prefer the grind.

Unfortunately, level does not = difficulty IMO. In these kinds of games, if you are losing you will just grind levels higher and win eventually. I don't particularly see that as difficult, just time consuming. So I am indifferent to EXP All, I'd probably leave it on just to enjoy the game as is. I do understand that some people don't like this though.
Same here, I don't understand why they don't just let you switch off certain features to make it more or less difficult for yourself. Your forced to play to the level that Game Freak believes its average fan is capable of. I'm a fan of some of the "game easing" features introduced like being able to see which pokemon are in wild grass but people should be allowed to decide how difficult they want the game to be, it's their game, their experience.

Minkaro

I’d love to turn off Pokémon appearing on the overworld for Nuzlocke runs. The current method of closing my eyes and running around until I hit something isn’t much fun.

I don’t mind exp all, because I’ve not really got the patience to grind individually. Again though, it should be an option.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The inability to turn off exp. all is possibly the worst thing they’ve introduced. Makes the games too easy for it to be any fun.
Yeah, that’s one of the most annoying features. You can basically just use one Pokemon and it doesn’t matter because the others will level anyway.

Sara125

I’ve finally decided to go back in time and buy either HG or SS :drool: just one question: how necessary is the pokewalker? Seen games with the pokewalker included going for north of £100.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’ve finally decided to go back in time and buy either HG or SS :drool: just one question: how necessary is the pokewalker? Seen games with the pokewalker included going for north of £100.
I wouldn’t stress, I don’t recall it doing anything too important that you’ll miss out on