Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

Sara125

Anyone seen the pre-order bonuses on offer when you order via Amazon (or Best Buy for any American Caf members)
Absolute joke :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
10 Luxury Balls? Not even worth the steam off your piss.

GAME & ShopTo have the only worthwhile pre order bonuses from what I've seen so far. Wish they'd stop having multiple options in the first place though!

Havak

Pokemon master
So which version are we all getting? I still can't decide
I'm leaning more towards Violet, but I'm still undecided as well.

Whatever the case, I hope there's more to the multiplayer element to get around most of the exclusive Pokemon. We should be able to just catch wild Pokemon when in someone else's game on multiplayer, but I think think that's probably not going to be possible.

My expectation of multiplayer is that we will only be able to 'watch' the host battle and just walk around with them, which will suck (outside of the raid battles, trades, battles etc).

Would be really cool if we could just drop into someone else's game who has multiplayer on and catch the exclusive we wanted though...

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I watched a little bit of this and the "let's go" feature seems neat. You can just send your pokemon to do a quick wild battle on its own, basically a match sim.

Havak

Pokemon master

The time is almost upon us PokeNerds.

Of course, the game still looks like it could probably run on a PS3, but I'm actually noticing the improvements quite a lot from trailer to trailer. It looks much cleaner now and there's a 1gb update day one which I assume will help the game to run smoother. I expect frame drops in the larger open areas and when there's lots going on, but elsewhere should be rather stable.

Leaks are happening all over Twitter if anyone wants to be spoiled.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Looking to get into the games again after over a decade long hiatus. The reason I got bored was that you could complete the main storyline in days. Just win the league, run a couple of errands afterwards and that was basically it. Are the games more adventurous and the storyline broader these days?

I don't have the Switch so would feel a bit daft buying one only to complete the game within a week.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Looking to get into the games again after over a decade long hiatus. The reason I got bored was that you could complete the main storyline in days. Just win the league, run a couple of errands afterwards and that was basically it. Are the games more adventurous and the storyline broader these days?

I don't have the Switch so would feel a bit daft buying one only to complete the game within a week.
If anything the mainline games are more linear than what they used to be. I'd look up a few reviews of them and see what you think. Arceus is a different style than what you're used to.
The upcoming games are more like the mainline games but with more freedom apparently.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

The time is almost upon us PokeNerds.

Of course, the game still looks like it could probably run on a PS3, but I'm actually noticing the improvements quite a lot from trailer to trailer. It looks much cleaner now and there's a 1gb update day one which I assume will help the game to run smoother. I expect frame drops in the larger open areas and when there's lots going on, but elsewhere should be rather stable.

Leaks are happening all over Twitter if anyone wants to be spoiled.
Do you get them weird motorbike Pokémon right away ?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Didn’t realise there were new games coming out. I held off on Arceus because it looked like a dead open world with no story. Is this a bit better? Would be cool to have everything from the originals but in 3D.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

The modern Pokemon games are more about the team building and multilayer battling these days. There's also the shiny hunting part for the sadists out there.

MiceOnMeth

Didn’t realise there were new games coming out. I held off on Arceus because it looked like a dead open world with no story. Is this a bit better? Would be cool to have everything from the originals but in 3D.
The open world looks better(but still looking like a PS3 game) and the story will be much more fleshed out than Arceus for sure(but I don't think that's saying much)

MiceOnMeth

The meat of these games these days is really about completing the Pokedex, training and battling your teams online, doing mad raid dens, the battle tour and shining hunting.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Does the Pokémon really turn into a motorbike you can ride?

Man, they have really ruined Pokémon with a lot of the crap ones they have come up with that just don’t fit in with the style of the first 151, or even first 251

MiceOnMeth

The game is now out in the wild and beginning to be datamined so the whole Dex is floating around on Twitter so be wary for spoilers

MiceOnMeth

Man, they have really ruined Pokémon with a lot of the crap ones they have come up with that just don’t fit in with the style of the first 151, or even first 251
You're gonna be in shock when you see the latest batch of 90+ new pokemon :lol:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Still makes me a sad bastard, maybe even sadder, but the only Pokémon I dip into these days are gen 2/3 rom hacks. Pokemon Crystal Ultimate is the perfect Pokémon game.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm really mixed on Pokemon designs usually. Gen 1 literally has a magnet, a ball, a pile of sludge, and a rock off the top of my head... But anything similar in future games is labelled weird or stupid.

Gen 3 and 5 probably have my highest amount of Pokemon designs that I actually like a lot.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm really mixed on Pokemon designs usually. Gen 1 literally has a magnet, a ball, a pile of sludge, and a rock off the top of my head... But anything similar in future games is labelled weird or stupid.

Gen 3 and 5 probably have my highest amount of Pokemon designs that I actually like a lot.
Fair point, I suspect pixels made them look better. A lot of them looked weird when translated to the anime as well (certainly the ones you mention)

That'sHernandez

A lot of the ghost ones are just not very good. And in one game there’s a Pokémon which is flying keys. I take your point; but it’s not explicitly any realism I bemoan, it’s that the art style differs massively for a lot of the newer generations from the earlier games, which I don’t like. Stylistically they don’t fit.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Era thread on the game really exploded over the last few days. On 647, nearly a hundred pages behind where it is at now. The new mon I've seen so far I've got mixed feelings on - some fit better in Mega Man, Digimon or Minecraft than Pokemon.

Lechonk family design is good though.

That'sHernandez

Still makes me a sad bastard, maybe even sadder, but the only Pokémon I dip into these days are gen 2/3 rom hacks. Pokemon Crystal Ultimate is the perfect Pokémon game.
I think I may have gone as far as Ruby/Sapphire when I played first time around and then the last game I played was X. Part of why I don’t play them these days is because stylistically I don’t find them particularly appealing any more and some of the Pokémon just don’t have the same charm the originals had.

Havak

Pokemon master
Fair point, I suspect pixels made them look better. A lot of them looked weird when translated to the anime as well (certainly the ones you mention)
A lot of the ghost ones are just not very good. And in one game there’s a Pokémon which is flying keys. I take your point; but it’s not explicitly any realism I bemoan, it’s that the art style differs massively for a lot of the newer generations from the earlier games, which I don’t like. Stylistically they don’t fit.
Yeah, always gonna be opinions! Can definitely pick some stinkers from every game though was my point. Just gonna be a case of hoping that you like enough of the monsters in the latest games.

I've tried to avoid leaks but honestly, I am 100% going to be making a team for my playthrough this time of entirely new Pokemon from Gen 9. From what I've seen so far, I actually think it'll be hard for me to choose just six from the new ones :lol:

Going into this with pretty low expectations, but I liked Sword/Shield and Legends: Arceus in the end, so I fully expect to really like this!

That'sHernandez

Yeah, always gonna be opinions! Can definitely pick some stinkers from every game though was my point. Just gonna be a case of hoping that you like enough of the monsters in the latest games.

I've tried to avoid leaks but honestly, I am 100% going to be making a team for my playthrough this time of entirely new Pokemon from Gen 9. From what I've seen so far, I actually think it'll be hard for me to choose just six from the new ones :lol:

Going into this with pretty low expectations, but I liked Sword/Shield and Legends: Arceus in the end, so I fully expect to really like this!
My daughter is into Pokémon so we may end up getting the game, ha

goalscholes

I am a huge fan of previous Pokémon games, but they have definitely been dumbed down and worsened with new features like mega-evolving and better graphics.

I do like the idea of having a full immersive Breath of the Wild world to roam around in, but there has to be a reason to progress and level up.

goalscholes

The internet is mad at the number of glitches and the graphics. An amazing concept, rushed.

goalscholes

What’s wrong with graphics? And what are the common glitches people are facing?
From Reddit, I've seen clips of people in the street suddenly disappearing, holes appearing in the ground etc. Sounds a bit like Qatar.

Apparently there is an issue where some players have a really dodgy frame rate, but it isn't affecting everyone, and some graphics are DS-worthy at best.

Pokerus has been dropped from the game and shinies are way more common but general play is supposed to be more challenging than S/S, which is good.

I'll definitely get the game but might hold off for a couple of updates.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Frame rate is the only real notable thing I've seen in play. Shinies aren't way more common in that the odds are the same as previous games, it is just that you can see a lot more Pokemon at once. I've played a fair bit and still not found a shiny so far.

Is easy to find yourself in challenging areas in the open world - I'm level 20, just have one badge and have found my way into a zone with level 50 Pokemon.