Police Shoot Suspects in Woolwich Assault

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
If anything, there is an argument to made for giving these men a greater pedestal on which to air their views. The views espoused by the EDL are far from sophisticated and pose no real danger politically - the idea that there is a worrying emergence of fascistic thinking from the EDL is what makes me laugh. The views of the typical EDL protester are far too simplistic to be described as credible fascism - Tommy Robsinson once said on Newsnight that when he first started out with the movement, he didn't even understand what left wing and ring wing meant. If these people (mainly uneducated, working class men) were not ostracised politically and socially, the views they hold would surely change.

The danger of the EDL comes from their use of violence, as well as their racist tactics of harassment. This is simply a problem of how they do politics. You can't fix that by forcing them underground - you'll just make it worse.
There's a difference between making them known, and having them front page news day in day out. The EDL has become a lot more popular over the last few days. I wouldn't force them underground, but I'd definitely not make them out to be a credible organisation.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
There's a difference between making them known, and having them front page news day in day out. The EDL has become a lot more popular over the last few days. I wouldn't force them underground, but I'd definitely not make them out to be a credible organisation.
Actually, EDL support hasn't actually increased post the Woolwich incident, indeed its actually decreased since a poll taken last year, naturally they're more visible at the moment than usual but they appear to have reached what is just about the cap on their support. Basically a hangover from hooligan days.

Neutral

BTV
In Grimsby on Tuesday, two men reported to be former soldiers were remanded in custody at the town's magistrates court after a mosque was petrol bombed. Stuart Harness, 33, and Gavin Humphries, 37, were charged with arson with intent to endanger life. No pleas were entered and the pair are due to appear at Grimsby crown court next month.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/28/woolwich-murder-200-islamophobic-incidences
ter·ror·ism - the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

why weren't these guys charged with terrorism? Just like the 2 murderers, this was not just random violence.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
More racism than terrorism? It wasn't a political act, but a revenge one.

Livvie

Scout
Wasn't it done to terrorize the members of a particular community?

Isn't revenge the root of all terrorism?
Yes, but the motive wasn't political. It was more racist, and they should be charged with that, plus any other charge that fits.

I wouldn't call it terrorism, but maybe technically it was. I don't know.

Neutral

BTV
More racism than terrorism? It wasn't a political act, but a revenge one.
It doesn't HAVE to be a political act for it to be considered terrorism.

What race are Muslims? Their act was designed to terrify, to strike fear into a whole community, to make them feel unsafe in their place of worship - sounds like terrorism to me.

Livvie

Scout

What race are Muslims? Their act was designed to terrify, to strike fear into a whole community, to make them feel unsafe in their place of worship - sounds like terrorism to me.
Is there a law against bigotry?

Muslims aren't a race, but the attacks on them are definitely racially motivated.

MrMojo

The Lee Rigby Facebook campaign is starting to feel a bit distasteful to me. Here's Lee with his dog, here's Lee with a pint, can't believe it was a week ago etc etc.

Feels like it's turned into a bit of a bandwagon now and I'm not sure what good this would now be doing the family.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The Lee Rigby Facebook campaign is starting to feel a bit distasteful to me. Here's Lee with his dog, here's Lee with a pint, can't believe it was a week ago etc etc.

Feels like it's turned into a bit of a bandwagon now and I'm not sure what good this would now be doing the family.
I just looked on Facebook, there are about a hundred RIP Lee Rigby groups. Why are there so many people desperate to create one? There's about 100 members in each one as well. People are idiots.

TheReligion

Abusive

Was it though? Where is your evidence that it was their aim to do that? Did they release a video or issue demands etc like the others?

Drifter

American
Islamic Center burnt down in North London. EDL Graffiti found at the side of the building.

Neutral

BTV
Islamic Center burnt down in North London. EDL Graffiti found at the side of the building.
Al-Rahma Islamic Centre destroyed in 'racist attack'

No one was reported to be injured in the blaze
An Islamic centre in north London has been destroyed by a fire in an apparent racially motivated attack.

The Met Police said the fire, which happened at the Al-Rahma Islamic Centre in Muswell Hill in the early hours, is being treated as suspicious.

A spokesman said the letters EDL (English Defence League) were sprayed onto the building, used by the Somali Bravanese Welfare Association.

London Mayor Boris Johnson called the attack "cowardly and pathetic".

The Met's Counter Terrorism Command are investigating the cause of the fire on Coppetts Road.

BBC London correspondent Kurt Barling, who is at the scene, said the centre's leaders had told him they had seen freshly sprayed racist graffiti on the building and that they were concerned the fire was in reaction to the killing of a soldier in Woolwich. Two men have been charged in connection with the attack.

'Appalled and saddened'
Abubakar Ali, from the centre, said: "The Somali community is in fear.

"We are all shocked about what has happened and we strongly condemn the attack on the centre. As you can see, the situation is a very serious one indeed.

"We are appalled and deeply saddened by the horrific and foolish act against a peaceful community. While no one was thankfully physically hurt in the attack, the effects of this crime will be felt very deeply."

Borough Ch Supt Adrian Usher said: "I have spoken to community leaders and assured them that a thorough investigation is being conducted.

"The safety of our communities is always our priority and we are consulting widely, offering our support and reassurance.

"All communities can be confident that they have our support and I can be contacted personally to answer their concerns."

Mr Johnson said: "There is no place in an open, tolerant and diverse city like London for hate, for prejudice, for violence."

He added: "Londoners will see this for what it is - cowardly, pathetic and utterly pointless."

Two properties were evacuated and no-one was reported to be injured however one woman was treated for shock.

A fire service spokesman said the brigade was called at 03:14 BST.

Six fire engines and about 35 firefighters tackled the blaze which was brought under control just over an hour later.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22785074#TWEET779390
Only a building...

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Only a building? Do you remember that poppy fiasco? It was only a poppy but look how much fuss was kicked up.

Neutral

BTV
Merseyside footballer Shaun Tuck charged over Mosque tweets

21 Jun 2013 12:26
Striker to appear in court next month
Share on print

Share on email
Shaun Tuck, when he played for Skelmersdale United
A Merseyside footballer who allegedly encouraged people to riot and “bomb and gas every mosque in England” following the terrorist beheading of Drummer Lee Rigby has been charged by police.
Witton Albion striker Shaun Tuck is to face magistrates in Liverpool next month accused of an offence under Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

Tuck, 26, of of Mollington Avenue, Norris Green, is alleged to have used his Twitter account to rage: “All the mosque’s in England now should be bombed or gassed out!!!... Or stormed by 50 lads machetes, swords the lot. An make a statement.
“Am raging in me loft here yno... Got the balaclava out, dusted down an ready for the meet.
“I’d be going through there door mate an taking there kids head off an killing whoever was in site!!”
Tuck, who has also played for Skelmersdale United and Marine, was charged on Monday following a three-week investigation.
His current club confirmed they would wait until the outcome of the legal process before deciding whether to take action against the forward, who was the Cheshire side's top scorer last season.
The FA also confirmed that a probe into the player's conduct was ongoing.

Tuck will appear at Liverpool Magistrates Court on July 3.