[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

el3mel

Zidane is not a good example. The players didn't turn on Zidane, not just because he commanded respect, but because he got them playing and winning. Look at Benitez at Madrid, he's got ego, he's got experience, but that didn't stop the players from downing tools when he tried to instill a defensive mentality on them and was completely out of his depth - I'd say Benitez should be the example, not Zidane.
When a team is playing really well, with a coach that have very nice ideas, winning games, trophies and enjoying the game, the team would grow to like and respect the manager no matter who it is.
You're making it like Zidane was some sort of tactical genius. He did nothing specific on the pitch that another manager wouldn't and Madrid players can win on their own most of games. The differenc between him and Benitez is the latter is hatable figure. Beside Liverpool Benitez was hated at every club he managed by the players and fans, and he was coming from a period of decline with Napoli. There's a reason why he's managing at Newcastle now.

Madrid players didn't respect Benitez from day 1, and he failed to control their ego. Zidane could, due to his personality, being idol for many footballers and the prestige in his name. No one can say no when someone like Zidane comes to talk to him. The thing about winning so they respected him is nonsense as during his last season when they had a terrible season all around and were losing non stop in first half of the season no player showed disrespect to Zidane. They still loved and kept fighting him.

Can you see any player doing this to Zidane at any time whatever the results are ? Yes or no ?

Mcking

You're making it like Zidane was some sort of tactical genius. He did nothing specific on the pitch that another manager wouldn't and Madrid players can win on their own most of games. The differenc between him and Benitez is the latter is hatable figure. Beside Liverpool Benitez was hated at every club he managed by the players and fans, and he was coming from a period of decline with Napoli. There's a reason why he's managing at Newcastle now.

Madrid players didn't respect Benitez from day 1, and he failed to control their ego. Zidane could, due to his personality, being idol for many footballers and the prestige in his name. No one can say no when someone like Zidane comes to talk to him. The thing about winning so they respected him is nonsense as during his last season when they had a terrible season all around and were losing non stop in first half of the season no player showed disrespect to Zidane. They still loved and kept fighting him.

Can you see any player doing this to Zidane at any time whatever the results are ? Yes or no ?

I never talked up Zidane as a tactical genius or anything similar, never did. You said that to manage a top club, you need ego and you need experience. I pointed out that Benitez had those, which you didn't prove wrong and then proceeded to post a ?gif that proves my point. Benitez had those qualities you think are necessary for managing at a top club, but that didn't stop the players from turning on him. Mourinho have them too, and that haven't stopped our players from turning on him. Zidane got the Madrid players playing, winning, loving football, was never out of his depth and was always positive towards the players and the team. He didn't suceed - and was not solely respected because of his name. Aura and personality does not entirely correlate with the name. Howe and many other managers out there probably exudes a nice aura and have a good personality too.
Do you think the players would have loved, respected and played well for Zidane if he tried to get them to play awful defensive football and repeatedly threw them under the bus? The name alone wouldn't make any difference if he did.

Woziak

It's true - I'm just playing devils advocate lol I want Tuchel or Jardim as our next manager. Both play good football and do well with the youth.❤
Zidane is a much better option than most think purely because he has no EGO and will instantly gain the respect of the players who all worshipped him as a player. Plus he's available and is a great man motivator, I'm rapidly warming to Zidane with Evra as one of his coaches with Mckenna and Carrick.

el3mel

I never talked up Zidane as a tactical genius or anything similar, never did. You said that to manage a top club, you need ego and you need experience. I pointed out that Benitez had those, which you didn't prove wrong and then proceeded to post a ?gif that proves my point. Benitez had those qualities you think are necessary for managing at a top club, but that didn't stop the players from turning on him. Mourinho have them too, and that haven't stopped our players from turning on him. Zidane got the Madrid players playing, winning, loving football, was never out of his depth and was always positive towards the players and the team. He didn't suceed - and was not solely respected because of his name. Aura and personality does not entirely correlate with the name. Howe and many other managers out there probably exudes a nice aura and have a good personality too.
Do you think the players would have loved, respected and played well for Zidane if he tried to get them to play awful defensive football and repeatedly threw them under the bus? The name alone wouldn't make any difference if he did.
When did I say that experience stuff ? Try to read first before posting what you memorize already lol.

Also I don't remember me calling having an ego is the only ever quality needed by the manager to manage a big club do I ? I said it's a very needed quality that you must have to control the players, but you obviously need to be a good manager first or at least do the basics right if you want to pull results. Again try to read before jumping into discussions to say what you memorize. You on other hand want to dismiss the character stuff completely which is illogical.

Both qualities at needed but it's very naive though to think that a manager with no ego or personality at all will walk into a dressing room with top players around and control it with just being good tactican. If he wants to criticize a player who has a far bigger personality and influnce than him in the dressing room for his bad performance what would he do ? Would Howe be able to bench a top player underperforming ?

Regarding your question, yes, yes the players will keep respecting Zidane and loving him whatever the results are. That's what happened in last season when the results and football were shite and it was the same for the relation between botj. Zidane commands respect from anyone in football industry. He's an idol for many current footballers, the same can't be said about Benitez who has been hated by everyone in every job he had so far.

Tl;dr: You need to be a good manager to pull results and succeed but without enough strong personality or ego you will never be able to control the dressing room and you'll end up being out of your depth at any top club. How is that hard to grasp ? Just being a manager who tells his players at midtabl or bottom to pass forward or attack is simply not enough to get a big job.

Utd7

I've seen the Italian papers report our interest in Moratta and Conte pairing for DOF and manager. They were very successful at Juventus.

reddaz71

Wont be lost on Woodward that Poch is not very prolific when it comes to transfers,in many ways he is probably the boards outstanding candidate to replace Jose who clearly likes to spend big,Woodward probably looks at Poch and instantly sees a frugal manager more than anything else!

Blake's 7

Adrian Durham as manager with Jim White as DofF :lol:

At least the press conferences would be interesting, Durham's got an opinion on everything and would never stop talking after 3 1/2 minutes, and Jim has all the connections for last minute deadline day signings!

Last edited:

Rob67

Wouldn't be against Theresa May taking over to be honest.
Anybody at this point.....

Resch

Its nice to have the best players, but United needs the best team. The next manager should be able to form a team, with teamspirit, "Torgeilheit" and fun. Its time for a young manager! We tried an British one, an old one, one with success in the past, they all failed. We should find someone like Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim, RB Leipzig), Rose (Salzburg)!

Mcking

When did I say that experience stuff ? Try to read first before posting what you memorize already lol.

Also I don't remember me calling having an ego is the only ever quality needed by the manager to manage a big club do I ? I said it's a very needed quality that you must have to control the players, but you obviously need to be a good manager first or at least do the basics right if you want to pull results. Again try to read before jumping into discussions to say what you memorize. You on other hand want to dismiss the character stuff completely which is illogical.

Both qualities at needed but it's very naive though to think that a manager with no ego or personality at all will walk into a dressing room with top players around and control it with just being good tactican. If he wants to criticize a player who has a far bigger personality and influnce than him in the dressing room for his bad performance what would he do ? Would Howe be able to bench a top player underperforming ?

Regarding your question, yes, yes the players will keep respecting Zidane and loving him whatever the results are. That's what happened in last season when the results and football were shite and it was the same for the relation between botj. Zidane commands respect from anyone in football industry. He's an idol for many current footballers, the same can't be said about Benitez who has been hated by everyone in every job he had so far.

Tl;dr: You need to be a good manager to pull results and succeed but without enough strong personality or ego you will never be able to control the dressing room and you'll end up being out of your depth at any top club. How is that hard to grasp ? Just being a manager who tells his players at midtabl or bottom to pass forward or attack is simply not enough to get a big job.
Sorry about the experience stuff as I was under the impression you were the one that said so. I also can't find where I said or accused you of saying that having a big ego is the only quality needed to manage a top club - so pretty much a draw.
Ego is an okay quality to possess as a top manager, but it is neither needed nor a must-have for a manager. If anything, players hate managers with big egos and there's usually a clash of egos with a big manager managing big players especially when the team is underperforming at the actuall football part.
Everybody - I, you - out there's a personality but not necessarily a big one. You don't need to be a big personality or big character to handle big players - good personality and good character completely trumps the former two. With good personality, good character and good ideas, a manager can easily manage egos.
Unless a club is run by shiny-hungry muppets, and with a very united dressing room, a manager can easily drop any player he wishes, if he is clearly underperforming, as he is still pretty much the boss. One does not have to openly criticize his players nor throw them under the bus, and you can't conclude the Madrid players wouldn't have turned on Zidane because he is an idol when he rarely ever criticized his players. The Madrid players started badly in his third season after two great seasons, but Zidane didn't resort to criticizing them, instead doing a good job to get them playing again - a good personality.
Zidane's a good personality, not just a big one and you can't say he was able to manage Madrid because he had an ego and was a big character. If the performances weren't good, they would still probably had respected him. But if he tried to instill a park the bus, defensive, underdog, soul-crushing style whilst repeatedly throwing them under the bus for not adapting to his methods, the players simply would down tools. That is the reason I said that Zidane was not a good example as he was big and also positive, so there was nothing to disrespect.
Remember, we are having this argument because of Howe and the point is that if he's got a good character, ideas and personality, the players would be enthusiastic and happy to play for him. They are professional footballers, not egomaniacs.

el3mel

Sorry about the experience stuff as I was under the impression you were the one that said so. I also can't find where I said or accused you of saying that having a big ego is the only quality needed to manage a top club - so pretty much a draw.
Ego is an okay quality to possess as a top manager, but it is neither needed nor a must-have for a manager. If anything, players hate managers with big egos and there's usually a clash of egos with a big manager managing big players especially when the team is underperforming at the actuall football part.
Everybody - I, you - out there's a personality but not necessarily a big one. You don't need to be a big personality or big character to handle big players - good personality and good character completely trumps the former two. With good personality, good character and good ideas, a manager can easily manage egos.
Unless a club is run by shiny-hungry muppets, and with a very united dressing room, a manager can easily drop any player he wishes, if he is clearly underperforming, as he is still pretty much the boss. One does not have to openly criticize his players nor throw them under the bus, and you can't conclude the Madrid players wouldn't have turned on Zidane because he is an idol when he rarely ever criticized his players. The Madrid players started badly in his third season after two great seasons, but Zidane didn't resort to criticizing them, instead doing a good job to get them playing again - a good personality.
Zidane's a good personality, not just a big one and you can't say he was able to manage Madrid because he had an ego and was a big character. If the performances weren't good, they would still probably had respected him. But if he tried to instill a park the bus, defensive, underdog, soul-crushing style whilst repeatedly throwing them under the bus for not adapting to his methods, the players simply would down tools. That is the reason I said that Zidane was not a good example as he was big and also positive, so there was nothing to disrespect.
Remember, we are having this argument because of Howe and the point is that if he's got a good character, ideas and personality, the players would be enthusiastic and happy to play for him. They are professional footballers, not egomaniacs.
Let's agree to disagree then, but for me you need to have several other qualities to manage a big team not just being a good tactician. Otherwise any good manager would have succeeded at a big club, which isn't true.

LuckyScout78

I mentioned Nicky Butt while LVG was on his last months, on United official old fan forum. And its no sentimental feeling in the picture. Of the 90's United legends. I only see Nicky Butt is the most suitable for United head coach/manager role and i still believe he can do a good job, if he give as much money to buy players as Mourinho or LVG. Butt is a balance guy. He does got temperament, but still he has the calmness and he is balance and humble person. He is definitely a leader. I wouldnt suggest Scholes, Giggs, Beckham or Keane. But with Butt, i think he is a natural coach/manager material.

And since i already have suggest United head coach&manager. Then if i was United owner i would appoint Gary Neville to doing with transfer in and out. Gary Neville is good to speak for himself and i think he has the business side and dealing in him and i think he does know the quality of the players and the value of the them in term of the price.

Last of all i would move Woodward to the Marketing manager post, sponsors and things like that. Because i want a person who know and can value the players quality, a really good football knowledge to do the transfer business. I definitive want an expert in football knowledge to doing transfer business, to get the players head coach want .

So sum up my suggestions. I will give Nicky Butt and his assistant a try until the end of this season, to see how he is doing. If Butt can get us into top 4 or at least develop and can get more and the best out of the players. Then i would give him a 3 years contract. And in the end, Im for Mourinho to manage another club. So as longer and worse United get, as harder it will get into top 4. I think United should give the interim manager as longest time until the end of the season as possible, because its not easy to get into top 4 this season. And im not into discussion my suggestions further, because we will never know how things will happen, until it happen. So i will not reply. I have no bad feelings or something in person against Mourinho, just football and manager stuff and relations things. He is might running out of luck and i want a manager that motivate United players to play on the front foot. Unless the opponents are Barcelona, Bayern Munich or City right now. But in the long run. United shall aim to be best in premier league again. SAF did sit back against Bayern Munich and others top clubs back in time so. But in England, United shall dominate again. So wish the club get the things right in the future, get the right puzzles to become a successful team again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanche7

It's going to be Zidane especially if the reports of Jose getting sacked after the Newcastle game are accurate. Zidane is available and if reports are to be believed, is looking forward to working in England. Also he'll help Pogba settle in, would be a high profile signing which Woody loves and has just won 3 CLs Ina row.
I've seen many people on here say they don't want Zidane as the Manger. IMO we would be very lucky to have Zidane as our manager as I don't think many top mangers would want to get involved in the mess that we are in right now

About Poch, he won't leave Spurs in October and even if he wants to Levy won't let him. Also i don't get why people love Poch so much. Yes he's a good manager and he has built a great squad, but he has won nothing despite having a very very good squad.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
it going to be Zidane. Even though we are ins desperate need of a coach who will blend a team together on the training ground and give us a clear style of play, we will just go for the biggest name and everyone will jump for joy like they did when we hired Mouinho or signed Sanchez untill it becomes really clear that isn't what we need.

I havn't been a big critic of Woodward, but if he hires Zidane then personally I think it will be the biggest mistake the club made in the post moyes united.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
Its nice to have the best players, but United needs the best team. The next manager should be able to form a team, with teamspirit, "Torgeilheit" and fun. Its time for a young manager! We tried an British one, an old one, one with success in the past, they all failed. We should find someone like Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim, RB Leipzig), Rose (Salzburg)!
Rose is indeed an interesting choice and I like his work very much too. He would be the ideal successor for Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim..dont know how realistic it is for them to get him.

Another young manager who has impressed me highly is Kohfeld from Werder..he is doing a fantastic job in Bremen and has transformed a hopeless laughing stock to a serious CL/EL contender playing some nice and organized football.

Last edited:

Red_Ramirez

Who'd want to lead this circus of clowns?

I feel for the next manager. He'll get 2 seasons MAXIMUM

Bojan11

Who'd want to lead this circus of clowns?

I feel for the next manager. He'll get 2 seasons MAXIMUM
You keep repeating yourself in every thread.

Yeah because in every other club managers get 5 years especially ones underperforming.

Red_Ramirez

You keep repeating yourself in every thread.

Yeah because in every other club managers get 5 years especially ones underperforming.
??

Jose hasn't even got half way to 5 years!!

The next manager will get less than 2 years. We've set a precendent

dove

??

Manager shouldn't even be given 2 years if the team is underperforming and there are 0 signs of it changing. Look at most successful teams in the past few years like Real, Chelsea. They sack a manager in 3 months if they realise they made a wrong decision and get someone else in. Works quite well for them, doesn't it? We are the only ones buying into all this shite that it takes 3-5 years for the manager to change team's style of play when it's been proven time and time again (latest one is Sarri) that you can transform the team in 1 month.

Red_Ramirez

Manager shouldn't even be given 2 years if the team is underperforming and there are 0 signs of it changing. Look at most successful teams in the past few years like Real, Chelsea. They sack a manager in 3 months if they realise they made a wrong decision and get someone else in. Works quite well for them, doesn't it? We are the only ones buying into all this shite that it takes 3-5 years for the manager to change team's style of play when it's been proven time and time again (latest one is Sarri) that you can transform the team in 1 month.
So you're a fan happy with a sacking a season until we win the League?

dove

If I see that there is 0 progress then absolutely. I don't believe that long term necessarily means success, choosing the right manager clearly does though.

Red_Ramirez

If I see that there is 0 progress then absolutely. I don't believe that long term necessarily means success, choosing the right manager clearly does though.
Define 'progress'

Fergie didn't look like right man for the job until his first couple of trophies 4 SEASONS later!!

How long are you willing to give the next manager?

Jose had 2 years..

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea
Reason is both clubs believe they give the coaches squads that are capable of winning the competitons they play in and that the squad bulding is mostly done without the manager imo. If results aren't coming in the manager is usually seen as weak link.

Judas

Open to offers
Well if we win a league title in the first season, it would show progress enough that he'd get significantly more faith if the second season didn't end up being as successful, because he'll have already shown that he's capable of getting the team winning.

People have to stop using the Fergie example, football has moved on so much, its just a daft thing to bring up in 2018.

dove

Define 'progress'

Fergie didn't look like right man for the job until his first couple of trophies 4 SEASONS later!!

How long are you willing to give the next manager?

Jose had 2 years..
I don't get the constant comparisons with SAF, completely different situations. I backed Jose all the way until a couple of weeks ago but it's quite clear now he should be sacked. By progress I mean the team should improve year after year and the football should be watchable. It took Sarri like 1 month to completely change team's style of play, we are on Jose's 3rd year and to be fair we look much worse than the first few months when he took charge. He still doesn't know his best team, he filled the squad with the tallest players in the world, we are being constantly outplayed by everyone and most of the times we are painful to watch. When was the last time you thought "oh I wish this game lasted a bit longer as I really enjoy it"? Probably never with Jose. Most of the time it's "oh I can't wait this shit to end".

fallengt

Yes. We won the league with 3 different managers, that tells us more about individual brilliant-ness. Club's method is outdated, for now no sign of progression = sack until we find the right manager for longevity.
Also Woodward needs to hire a football man as club's football director and step away from doing anything football related.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
??

If the manager is competing for trophies and having his team playing some good football, he will get more than two years.

reddaz71

Think we will go for Poch in the summer which probably means Carrick as caretaker,having said that,Wouldnt be a surprise if Woodward has sounded out Conte already...