POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Yeah exactly. So many hippocrits on here
Difference between Yes and No is still 46 votes, Paz. Need 24 net swing votes. Get working and canvassing. I am telling you, unless Woody sees this thread cross 50% in favour of Yes, he won't make formal offer to Mou :)

Member 5225

Actually if you have been following some of the threads on here you will find a decent number of people have been complaining about the dull football for a while and expressing the opinion that winning 1-0 with this type of football wasnt acceptable.
Omg do people even remember our football during the latter SAF years? Didn't we go on some sort of 1-0 record and clean sheet in a row record etc?!

Member 5225

Difference between Yes and No is still 46 votes, Paz. Need 24 net swing votes. Get working and canvassing. I am telling you, unless Woody sees this thread cross 50% in favour of Yes, he won't make formal offer to Mou :)
Heh you know I'll be doing a Giggs vs Arsenal celebration if/when we hire him!

Treble

Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent.

Question234

Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very sucessful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore.
So who is ?

People throw this statement around as if there's a plethora of World class managers waiting to be snapped up. Jose is the best of a bad bunch and has an amazing record, he left everyone for dead last season. Laughed his way to the title.

If LVG has lost his way I don't see another option.

Treble

So who is ?

People throw this statement around as if there is a plethora of World class managers waiting to be snapped up. Jose is the best of a bad bunch and has an amazing record, he left everyone for dead last season. Laughed his way to the title.
I agree that we should try with him. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he did not have much success here.

Bojan11

Last big success was in 2010? Wtf am I reading?

Peps last big success was a year later then if it's like that.

Member 5225

Mourinho will flop here, especially if Guardiola takes over City. His last big success was in 2010. He knows that his stint at Madrid wasn't very successful and his self-confidence and charisma are gone. People explaining his relatively unmpressive second stint at Chelsea only with the players are kidding themselves. He is not special anymore. His narcissism has gotten the better of his great managerial talent.
:lol: fecking hell!
It's one thing to have an opinion etc, but to rewrite facts is just laughable!
Last big success in 2010, nothing come to mind last season then? Nothing at all? Go on, try...

Bojan11

:lol: fecking hell!
It's one thing to have an opinion etc, but to rewrite facts is just laughable!
Last big success in 2010, nothing come to mind last season then? Nothing at all? Go on, try...
Fergies only big success came in 1999 and 2008.

What a poor manager!

Member 5225

I agree that we should try with him. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he did not have much success here.
Ah the old hedge of bets technique.
The ones that support when mediocre players sign, in case they turn good so can say 'I told you so, believe man' and shrug shoulders when they inevitably turn out poor.

Treble

Ah the old hedge of bets technique.
The ones that support when mediocre players sign, in case they turn good so can say 'I told you so, believe man' and shrug shoulders when they inevitably turn out poor.
Not at all. I'm saying that I expect him to fail should he become our manager. I was very sceptical about his second stint at Chelsea, there must be a thread about his return there, look at my posts.

Bojan11

Was Mourinho a big success at Madrid and Chelsea 2? Nope.
He won the league with both teams. Yes or no?

By your logic Pep isn't a success at Bayern yet. You can't fecking win the champions league every season. It doesn't work like that. Even a great manager like Wenger has 0 champions leagues.

Treble

Fergies only big success came in 1999 and 2008.

What a poor manager!
Mourinho was great with Chelsea the first time even though he did not win the CL. Just as Pep has been great at Bayern without winning the CL.

The Man Himself

I will agree that his stints at both RM and Chelsea weren't as successful as one would have expected, especially on back of his Porto, Chelsea(1st) and Inter spells but managers like players too will go through such lean phases. The best ones (and Mou is one of them) are expected to come out of it given a platform. The amount of control Mou will get at OT over transfers and otherwise will be bigger than at those 2 recent clubs. The patience from fans can be better as well (in Mou's case it might be different because he is polarizing figure and fans might be divided right away but we are generally more patient. Imagine Moyes like situation at RM). If clubs can sort out youth policy vision with Mou and get him to stay out of crazy controversies, to me, he is preferable to Pep. Pep too will come for 3 or max 4 years and given the 2 clubs he has managed before had such special talents, that he will be success straightaway with us is not guaranteed. This league will be totally different to Pep compared to La Liga and Bundesliga. Mou knows PL very well.

Treble

It depends what you quantify as a big success. I'd take winning the league right now.
Obviusly, winning the league title is not enough in itself, otherwise Mancini and Pellegrini should count as big successes too. Many managers win domestic titles or even the CL without being great.

Bojan11

Also bear in mind before Mourinho went to Real Madrid, they couldn't get past the round of 16 in 5 seasons. It's not like they were great in Europe before he arrived.

He got them to three semi finals and with a bit of luck they could have gone through in each of them.

Some people seem to think that the champions league is a given. It's a hard trophy to win hence why nobody has retained it. You need luck to go your way to win it also.

The Man Himself

He won the league with both teams. Yes or no?

By your logic Pep isn't a success at Bayern yet. You can't fecking win the champions league every season. It doesn't work like that. Even a great manager like Wenger has 0 champions leagues.
It is worth noting that Mourinho reached semis in all 3 seasons with Real Madrid. Given their CL history for last decade before him even with all the riches, it was no mean feat.

Treble

Also bear in mind before Mourinho went to Real Madrid, they couldn't get past the round of 16 in 5 seasons. It's not like they were great in Europe before he arrived.

He got them to three semi finals and with a bit of luck they could have gone through in each of them.

Some people seem to think that the champions league is a given. It's a hard trophy to win hence why nobody has retained it. You need luck to go your way to win it also.
I did not say that he was poor or even average at Madrid, just not that great. Further, I suggested that his problems there reflected on his self-confidence. The problems he had with several star players at Chelsea were not mere coincidence.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Mourinho was great with Chelsea the first time even though he did not win the CL. Just as Pep has been great at Bayern without winning the CL.
Why has Pep been great at Bayern? He's won a league with virtually no competition.

Yet you regard Jose a failure at Real Madrid when he was up against one of the greatest team of all times yet managed to win the league and out score them too. Deary me.

Treble

Why has Pep been great at Bayern? He's won a league with virtually no competition.

Yet you regard Jose a failure at Real Madrid when he was up against one of the greatest team of all times yet managed to win the league and out score them too. Deary me.
Well, if you did read a little bit more about Pep's methods at Bayern and how much he has impressed the people at the club you wouldn't come up with such a question. Bayern were desparate to extend his contract, he wasn't sacked like Mourinho. Pep has never had such a meltdown.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mourinho did alright at Madrid. He oscillated between really good ( winning the league) and very poor (losing the league by a fair margin to a team with a manager in hospital, and fighting with everyone). Can't say he was rubbish because he did have one great league campaign, but you can't exactly say winning 1 league title was a big success either particularly given how it ended.

Same with Chelsea. One terrific year where he got all his signings spot on, and won the league. But other than the first year where he had no succeed, his last year was the worst in his managerial career and laughably bad with fighting, bitching, blaming etc being the gyst of it.

I suppose you can sum it up with two very good league title achievements in 6 seasons, and some very poor stuff around it.

Bojan11

Well, if you did read a little more about Pep's methods at Bayern and how much has he impressed the people at the club you wouldn't come up with such a question. Bayern were desparate to extend his contract, he wasn't sacked like Mourinho. Pep has never had such a meltdown.
So why does Perez want Mourinho back?

Casilas was the reason Mourinho mainly left. People seem eager to pick out the faults on why Jose lost his semi finals.

Peps method of having his defence 3vs3 against the Barca attack, which was insane. Or the year before not starting Martinez and Madrid ripping him to shreds on the counter.

Peps not invincible too you know.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Well, if you did read a little bit more about Pep's methods at Bayern and how much he has impressed the people at the club you wouldn't come up with such a question. Bayern were desparate to extend his contract, he wasn't sacked like Mourinho. Pep has never had such a meltdown.
Pep was heavily criticized in the two semi final massacres of his team vs Real and Barca. He admitted he got the tactics all wrong. He has hardly got competition in his own league with Bayern basically capable of buying footballers from their nearest and dearest. The only big tests he faces is in the CL and there he has not impressed more than Mourinho did with Real.

He also did a Mourinho earlier than Mourinho himself:

Bayern's medical team resigned because of his antics. The difference with Mourinho is that the circus around the bundesliga is not quite as big as the pl and that he is not named Mourinho (thus less hysteria and coverage).

Treble

So why does Perez want Mourinho back?

Casilas was the reason Mourinho mainly left. People seem eager to pick out the faults on why Jose lost his semi finals.

Peps method of having his defence 3vs3 against the Barca attack, which was insane. Or the year before not starting Martinez and Madrid ripping him to shreds on the counter.

Peps not invincible too you know.
Surely, he is not a semi-god or something. Still, he is so good that even Madrid want to hire him :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
People dislike of Mourinho is so strong that they can't judge him objectively, at Madrid he faced one of the greatest team ever and he joined a Chelsea team who was barely a top 4 team, their European successes seem to have overshadowed their constant battle of three for the 4th place.

Deleted member 78215

Winning what's been Madrid's only title in the last 8 years, in a league with one of the greatest club sides of all time? Winning the Copa Del Rey? Getting them repeatedly to the CL semi-finals after having not gone that far since 2003?

Getting Chelsea to the CL semi-finals in his first season - with a team that had strikers Torres and Ba, and a midfield of Ramires and Matic?

Winning the league and league cup in his second season?

Feckin' mental.

Treble

Pep was heavily criticized in the two semi final massacres of his team vs Real and Barca. He admitted he got the tactics all wrong. He has hardly got competition in his own league with Bayern basically capable of buying footballers from their nearest and dearest. The only big tests he faces is in the CL and there he has not impressed more than Mourinho did with Real.

He also did a Mourinho earlier than Mourinho himself:

Bayern's medical team resigned because of his antics. The difference with Mourinho is that the circus around the bundesliga is not quite as big as the pl and that he is not named Mourinho (thus less hysteria and coverage).
Another difference is that he doesn't have a meltdown in his 3rd year and Bayern seem stronger than ever.

Member 5225

:lol: what a skewed view you have.
Just not sure if you are just aggressively anti-Jose or
A Pep fan-boi

izzydiggler

It almost seems inevitable now. I get his failings and he's been a disaster this year, with his off-field behaviour appalling but I remember some journos telling stories of him sitting alone at OT just soaking in the history etc.

He obviously wouldn't change completely but I get the feeling (based on not a lot) that he would feel 'at home' here and we might see the 'old' less abrasive JM.

He also seems to have a deep respect for Sir Alex and if they can't get better, then you could do a lot worse, although I would certainly worry about his lack of youth production and long-term tendency for meltdown.