POLL: Creating a new mentality - Keane as number 2

Would you like to see Roy Keane as Manchester United assistant manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ekeke

This line of thinking justifies my own suspicions over the last 12 hours that Jose's way might have been the right way after all, a job fit for a guy who doesn't mind being the bad guy.
Yeah having a toxic atmosphere really helped us go from 2nd to 6th

Champagne Football

Raiola would never be seen in Manchester again. He'd be afraid of his life to turn up.

I've no doubt Ole can be intimidating as a manager despite his school boy looks. We just need to get the transfer window right and Ole and Carrick will start earning belief from fans then.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Who are the leaders at City? Kompany? He doesn't really play anymore. The problem is quality not some romantic view about leaders shouting at people...
Couldn’t have said it better but I also voted yes because I want these current players to suffer a bit for the shit they are serving up! It’s all down to our recruitment and inner structure. It’s obviously totally broken. Whoever is picking these players to buy is doing a worse job than most fans would. I think it’s a few players Woodward wants, a few the scours want and a few the managers want and there’s no cohesion there whatsoever anymore... we could have been in for any of those city players, KDB, Bernardo Silva, Sane... same with the great players Liverpool and spurs have picked up relatively cheaply their scouts are currently killing it. Ours are failing miserably.

Foxbatt

What does Mike Phelan know about international football? The mistake was to make him more prominent than he really was at United.
We should have hired Carlos Quiroz as the assistant to Ole.
United kept winning under SAF simply due to his force of personality. None of the of the players dare play the way they play now. He would have roasted them and thrown out of the club.
Phelan doesn't have the experience of doing it at top level on his own.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why do people think that someone yelling and constantly criticizing is a good way of leading? Keane was an effective leader as a captain because he led by example and had such high standards and so his cnutish personality worked because everyone knew on the pitch he always performed to such a high standard. If he was an average player, his personality would've had him thrown out in seconds.

As a manager, coach, assistant, hes not leading by example. He has to manage and lead through instructions and motivation. It's a world apart.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No thanks.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Yeah having a toxic atmosphere really helped us go from 2nd to 6th
Why did it get toxic though? That's the fascinating thing about the special one's career. I'm throwing the theory out there that Jose realised more was needed (and he was right) but some of these players (who have been shown up to lack in mentality) made things toxic. Who's the bad guy now?

Ekeke

Why did it get toxic though? That's the fascinating thing about the special one's career. I'm throwing the theory out there that Jose realised more was needed (and he was right) but some of these players (who have been shown up to lack in mentality) made things toxic. Who's the bad guy now?
And what happened at Chelsea and Madrid his last 2 jobs? The United players caused that too?

Mourinho has a record of falling out with his players

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
And what happened at Chelsea and Madrid his last 2 jobs? The United players caused that too?

Mourinho has a record of falling out with his players
Yes he does (but even then it's after winning,so he was vibing with the players on some agreeable level). What happened here specifically at United though? It's surely not far fetched having witnessed the Ole era to suggest that Jose was maybe on to the correct treatment considering even a nice guy like Ole has also been embarassed by them. It's like things actually needed to be uncomfortable and toxic to purge the ailment. You've seen some of Ole's quotes recently, he's even beginning to crack the whip.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If the players themselves aren't right and the whole setup doesn't have an air of respect, you could hire the best team of psychologists in the world and they'd just roll their eyes and laugh behind their back, or get fed up and give up. The thought process of giving your all has to be there from day 1 and it's clearly not seeing as single every player falls into the same patterns. Ex-players have talked about that feeling of magic when arriving at training leaving in Moyes'/LVG's reign and we need to get that back somehow. Not sure Keane berating them would do it but it'd be good to see before we feck em all off.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Voted yes because I love mayhem. Putting Roy Keane into that dressing room would be like unleashing a plague of locusts.

Art Vandelay

I don't know what he'd bring to help tactically. Although I suppose it would save us some wages after he kills a few of the spineless shits in our squad.

Ekeke

Yes he does (but even then it's after winning,so he was vibing with the players on some agreeable level). What happened here specifically at United though? It's surely not far fetched having witnessed the Ole era to suggest that Jose was maybe on to the correct treatment considering even a nice guy like Ole has also been embarassed by them. It's like things actually needed to be uncomfortable and toxic to purge the ailment. You've seen some of Ole's quotes recently, he's even beginning to crack the whip.
Ole got them playing well until injuries messed up our momentum. Mourinho couldnt get them playing well this season.

Yes they had a different approach but Ole's actually worked for a period of time. Now they need to get to the transfer window and have him bring his own players in to help get what he wants out of the team.

Mourinho had a bunch of transfer windows to do that and yet still this season he couldnt get them playing well and fell out with them.

Thats not happened with Ole. He hasnt had his chance to build a team yet.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Because it worked out well for the Republic of Ireland.....
I’m against the idea of Keane as assistant but in fairness to him when he was assistant to MON the Republic qualified for the Euros and beat Germany & Italy with basicallly a championship level team.

RedCurry

Being a hardass is a lot easier than being able to relate to players. Ole did show that he was able to do the hard part. I think he will be fine without a designated shouter.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ole got them playing well until injuries messed up our momentum. Mourinho couldnt get them playing well this season.

Yes they had a different approach but Ole's actually worked for a period of time. Now they need to get to the transfer window and have him bring his own players in to help get what he wants out of the team.

Mourinho had a bunch of transfer windows to do that and yet still this season he couldnt get them playing well and fell out with them.

Thats not happened with Ole. He hasnt had his chance to build a team yet.
So what happened to the mentality then (which I think youd agree is off with this group)? Are they so fragile that injuries disrupt them that much even with the supposed confidence they have from their great start under Ole? Is it reasonable to say they never got fully on board with Jose and just abandoned him when he turned up the scrutiny on their mentality, because he knew they needed to show more even after achieving some milestones (best finish since Fergie and a trophy here and there as well as CL qualification). So even if Ole gets some players in and achieves some milestones, can he really take us back to the desired level without making things uncomfortable? Like changing the football alone won't be enough and that's is where Jose was maybe let down by the players.

ps - I'm not explicitly asking you to answer some of these questions, consider them hypotheticals.

Ekeke

So what happened to the mentality then (which I think youd agree is off with this group)? Are they so fragile that injuries disrupt them that much even with the supposed confidence they have from their great start under Ole?
Yes. As Ole has said before our fitness is nowhere near good enough and he believes we need a proper pre-season to get ready for the fitness he'll be expecting from the team. It wasn't Ole who prepared them in this way for the season it was Mourinho. Ole is just dealing with the situation Mourinho left him in.

Is it reasonable to say they never got fully on board with Jose and just abandoned him when he turned up the scrutiny on their mentality, because he knew they needed to show more even after achieving some milestones (best finish since Fergie and a trophy here and there as well as CL qualification). So even if Ole gets some players in and achieves some milestones, can he really take us back to the desired level without making things uncomfortable? Like changing the football alone won't be enough and that's is where Jose was maybe let down by the players.

ps - I'm not explicitly asking you to answer some of these questions, consider them hypotheticals.
No, because even when Ole will unquestionably have to make tough choices he's not going to do it like Mourinho did. He's not going to publicly blame a young Luke Shaw in interviews. He's not going to say the defense is poor right after the defense was key to our 2nd place finish last season, because the attack was poor. He's not that stupid. He'll show more respect to the players as people, but that doesnt mean he wont make those tough calls and decide some players arent good enough and get rid. Its not about doing it. Its about how Mourinho did it and how that creates an incredibly toxic and childish atmosphere.

If he's honest, up front with those players about it and treats the departing players with respect it'll likely have a much more positive impact than scapegoating and childish comments.

Seven Seas Sardines

I don't think Roy is bothered about size, especially if he feels they're soft. There's a story that Rooney changed the channel when they were away one evening for a game the following day. Roy was watching the rugby and Wayne turned it over for X-Factor, Keane went ballistic and Rooney gave him shit back. Rooney went on to say that was the day Keane started respecting him.
:wenger::lol:

daveskimufc

I see what you're thinking and it sound like it would be the ideal kick up the ass that they all need. But it would never work in this day and age, no players would sit there and take it they'd just get on the phone to their agents and leave. Which again would weed out the mentally weak, but itd be 90% of today's footballers