POLL: Creating a new mentality - Keane as number 2

Would you like to see Roy Keane as Manchester United assistant manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I don't think Roy is bothered about size, especially if he feels they're soft. There's a story that Rooney changed the channel when they were away one evening for a game the following day. Roy was watching the rugby and Wayne turned it over for X-Factor, Keane went ballistic and Rooney gave him shit back. Rooney went on to say that was the day Keane started respecting him.
Rooney was built as feck, he had the body of an adult at 16 years old. I would fancy Rooney is any street fight. He would definitely be bothered by Lukaku's size, he's an absolute unit, shrugs off players like they are nothing (remember Redmond?). I reckon Keane would punch Lukaku once and he'd thank him for scratching an itch, he would have none of that.

starman

I get why people would want him given the attitude of some of the players but football has moved on from just getting someone in to scare players into performing through aggression.
Liverpool & City players all run around like mad men yet do not need to resort to such things

tanikozo

He's just not a very good manager. I do agree that our players need a kick in the arse but knowing him he'd probably make half of our squad unhappy and alienated especially 'stars' like Pogba. Hell if he's playing shit now with a manager he allegedly likes imagine if he's made upset by Roy Keane as an assistant manager.

Member 113277

The trouble is that these modern players earn so much that they could buy and sell Roy Keane and are pretty bomb proof, financially.

So I don't think this would work, in fact I think it could be disastrous.

That is no implied criticism of Roy Keane, who held himself accountable to the highest standards and demanded the same from team mates.

Players and agents are too powerful, at the moment.

TsuWave

People can’t let got of the past. Our current manager seemingly has unlimited credit in the bank because of the 99 antics. Now people want to bring someone that has failed at every managerial job he’s had, and was pushed out of the club as a player for being a toxic lunatic once his performances didn’t justify dealing with the extra stuff that came with him, to create a new mentality.

As a side note, it’s always been weird to me how some people look at Roy Keane as a bastion of masculinity and competitiveness but half of the players in our team would likely fold him with minimum difficulty.

R77

Comparing the situation to a more normal workplace environment, you firmly communicate that standards have slipped too far, and that anyone not willing or able to buckle up will be moved on. Back up the implied threat with a warning shot (dismissal) or two, and retain and acquire those who can lead by example. Try and nurture a positive environment and culture, but demonstrate ruthlessness is there if necessary.

Getting in an overly strict, mouthy, aggressive bellend to make a point rarely works, and more than likely just makes things worse.

Great player and club legend, but nowhere near good enough a coach to even consider.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
This line of thinking justifies my own suspicions over the last 12 hours that Jose's way might have been the right way after all, a job fit for a guy who doesn't mind being the bad guy.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’d fall out with the entire dressing room within a week.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The club needs quite a bit more than just a mad barking rottweiler frothing at the mouth and having a go at everyone. It's a football club, not borstal.

How about we cancel the pre-season tour of the far east and just send the lads to Syria instead? No fixtures or anything. Just diffusing a few landmines will set them straight.

There needs to be a culture that perpetuates a relentless desire to represent and fight for the club, and that isn't going to appear by having sub-par coach screech at everyone and treat them like delinquent children.

m1tch

Today's footballer wouldn't be able to cope with Keano, as a manager, assistant or teammate. Maybe football will come full circle eventually and players like him will become more commonplace again.

POF

Rooney was built as feck, he had the body of an adult at 16 years old. I would fancy Rooney is any street fight. He would definitely be bothered by Lukaku's size, he's an absolute unit, shrugs off players like they are nothing (remember Redmond?). I reckon Keane would punch Lukaku once and he'd thank him for scratching an itch, he would have none of that.
If you're right, Phil Bardsley has missed out on a successful UFC career.

As for Keane, he's not cut out for management, either main man or assistant but he'd still get a game in midfield for this United. Even with his dodgy hip and knee, he'd be more mobile than Matic.

We would all like Keane to our very own German Burgos,Diego Simeones' weighty,intimidating right hand man,but the reality is Keane will just be The crazy ,gruff 'outoftouch' Keano like we've witnessed many times at the various clubs he's coached and managed.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
No thank you. Keane has been an utter failure at management. He has been No. 2 (pun) both while being the No 1 and No 2

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If you're right, Phil Bardsley has missed out on a successful UFC career.

As for Keane, he's not cut out for management, either main man or assistant but he'd still get a game in midfield for this United. Even with his dodgy hip and knee, he'd be more mobile than Matic.
That was a boxing fight not a street fight :confused:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It would probably end up with Keane being arrested for assaulting half of the team.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Surely the intimidation style has had its day? It's not so much that the younger generation are 'precious' but that intimidation is a stupid, crude method: 'Do as I say or I'll hit you". Pathetic and outdated.

willhse456

Who are the leaders at City? Kompany? He doesn't really play anymore. The problem is quality not some romantic view about leaders shouting at people...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think people have a pretty exaggerated view of Keano on here. It's not about him as manager, but as a figure of respect, of certain standards. Someone here said romanticism will be the death of us :D that's quite possibly right, but I'd go all in. I look at the coaches and I don't see a leader there either. Ole and Keano are on very good terms.

Given how much this idea (which wasn't the only thing in the OP) was laughed down, I'm surprised there was a poll made, and even more surprised that a quarter of voters back this.

The easier option would be to appoint a certified top manager and back him with no reservations. We decided against that, so romanticism it is. It just needs more edge.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who are the leaders at City? Kompany? He doesn't really play anymore. The problem is quality not some romantic view about leaders shouting at people...
Guardiola is the leader at City.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It wouldnt be the worst thing for your team to put in effort during a game that keane is happy with.

RochaRoja

Rubbish coach and a psychopathic, bitter dickhead of a bloke. What could possibly go wrong?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Appointing Keane in any type of management role at United would be the worst decision of all time.

youmeletsfly

feck Roy Keane, feck him with a big rubber d1ck.
This is not 2006 anymore, stop living in the efing past. Where can you see another disciplinarian like him in top football? Nowhere, because football is a sport, a team effort not the fecking army.

What worked 15 years go will not work today.

Zlatattack

Only if contracts stipulate players can't press charges or sue for any mental or physical abuse at the club.

Truth be told though I voted no. You can't scare excellence into people. You have to have the people who want to excel and an environment where that is expected and facilitated. It all goes hand in hand. This is why having the ethos of the club in every part of the club, but especially at the top.

BigRon1985

The balance of power has shifted to the players now - even average ones are multimillionaires so a sergeant major approach like Keane shouting at them would be like water off a ducks back. I have to say I would enjoy watching the stand off though. :lol:

johanovic

I understand the meaning of this post. Go back a few years when a certain young player named Ronaldo came to the club. Then the culture was to train as hard as possible and Ronaldo has come out and said that helped him in becoming the player he is today. Even though I was a Keane fan in the past perhaps his way will not work today BUT one thing that drives me bonkers is the laid back attitude of some of the current squad. We need to create and implement a clear set of values and stragety for the club. One part of that could be on top of playing a certain brand of football, having a high workrate and so on to have a clear standard of what is expected from a United player. I think we have lost that and now we need to give OGS and those around him the chance to build that culture. Then find players that fit into that enviroment and playing system we decicde to use. But except for a brief part of OGS reign I´ve felt for a long time that United are lacking in fitness and work ethic compaired to most other teams. Thought we had that sorted for the first games under OGS but now the players are back to their old way of not giving enough effort. Despite Pep and Klopp being great at tactis both teams are drilled to the highest standard when it comes to pure running,pace and stamina. No matter what tactics are applied if the players are not capable of executing them because of lack of form, speed or stamina.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having been through Keane as AM for the national team, put me firmly "god no" camp.

extincti fugax hominum

Why people associate this idea with “living in the past”? Just because he played for the club in the past? :wenger:

I don’t know if Keane is the answer here because he’s not good enough especially tactically and a bit outdated in his approach in man management so can fall out with most of these kiddies in an instant which means more toxic atmosphere in the dressing room but I definitely know that we need some authority which we lost the day Sir Alex left the club on this bunch of spoiled brats for sure.

Moyes tried his way on the players and he failed simply because he was out of his depth and the players didn’t believe in him one bit and didn’t listen to him. He also lacked any sort of aura, the leadership, the charisma a Man United manager has to have.

Van Gaal had these qualities and the authority but needed to get back into the top 4 as quickly as possible so had no time and the luxury for picking up a fight with anybody (if you don’t count Di Maria) like he did with Rivaldo at Barcelona for instance. He also shipped out a lot of the deadwood and started from scratch so it was his team. Players like Martial, Rashford, Lingard etc. were all the players he gave debuts so had no problem with them. But even then I recall the stupid childish acts & shenanigans Lingard did in the team bus before the away game at West Ham when their fans attacked the team bus. And that was before the most important game of our season with the fourth position at stake. We know how that turned out.

Mourinho also had the leadership qualities and the authority but refused to take the blame at any time and threw the players under the bus immediately. He also highlighted the Majesty Pogba story a couple of weeks ago which strengthens my view on him. Looks like he was right all along even though I feel he’s got to take some of the responsibility in his last months mess.

So long story short, we have a lack of authority since Sir Alex left in 2013 and it shows on the pitch. These players are aimless and happy to get their pay cheques and say the same things a million times a season. They have no standards to play and they lack any direction to bring the team forward. And while you can’t solve this issue with Moyes’ chips ban type decisions, we certainly need some authority on these players. I don’t know if Keano is the right choice and think Ole’s a nice guy who also can stamp his authority on the team but we need to be much more ruthless with these players. They’re living in a bubble and someone needs to burst it out.

Ekeke

Keane would drag us through the mud and we'd have an even worse atmosphere than under Mourinho