g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg

Whoever the next guy is, he will have a tough task keeping fans entertained after 6 months of Ole swashbuckling football.

DBT85

The dream is that Ole does so well that he gets a reasonable 30 year contract and then takes us on to glory. Nobody can expect the past dominance we had, but fighting for things and playing well will suffice.

deafepl

If Ole can get us 4 top which could be difficult to achieve and going so far in UCL and maybe win FA Cup, I think he should be considered for the permeant job, assuming he achieved getting us top 4 playing nice football and UCL, that would be more impressive than Poch. I get vibe feeling that Ole would like to be the long-term manager, not just 3 years but the decade or so, I can't say the same thing for Poch.

So, we need to get DoF before we consider Ole for the permanent job.

Tiber

Poch as manager, Solskjaer as his assistant wouldnt be a bad ticket!

Poch will want his full team from Spurs and I doubt if Ole wants to be an assistant after 6 or 7 years as a manager

peridigm

One thing about Ole is we’d most likely never lose him if given the job and he performs well. He loves United. If Poch accepts the job, I feel he could leave in 3-5 years for RM.

Bojan11

One thing about Ole is we’d most likely never lose him if given the job and he performs well. He loves United. If Poch accepts the job, I feel he could leave in 3-5 years for RM.
Yeah and?

We not having another Fergie. 3 years in the modern era is a good return for a manager.

I know redcafe is excited. But it’s been one game against one of the worst teams in the league. When we play consistently like this and that means against the big teams too then we can throw Oles name in the hat. At the moment he’s just had one game. The credit needs to go to Carrick and McKenna who took training for majority of last week yet redcafe is obsessed with Phelan and Ole.

Ole needs to start by winning the next 3 league games in a row. Spurs away is his first real test and we’d see how he sets up in that game.

Nikelesh Reddy

Poch will want his full team from Spurs and I doubt if Ole wants to be an assistant after 6 or 7 years as a manager
Absolutely.Jesus Perez is indispensable to Pochettino...He has a very tightly knit support staff and they will all follow him IF he joins United.But I”m not sure if he will....

reddaz71

Absolutely.Jesus Perez is indispensable to Pochettino...He has a very tightly knit support staff and they will all follow him IF he joins United.But I”m not sure if he will....
I understand and appreciate this but just think a Poch and Ole combo would be incredible!

Judas

Open to offers
To be honest it is really nice having a manager again who truly gets it, Poch won't, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a success, but he won't have the genuine love and understanding of the club that Ole has. I'm going to throughly enjoy the next few months.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
In regards to Ole, per say the club performs quite well to reach top four/cup final, or per say just enough to finish top six, and the club still goes for Poch/whomever, Ole would certainly receive calls/offers from many clubs.

It's probably a win-win for Ole regardless of the final outcome. He'll raise his profile from Molde level to top league level. Sounds like as much as Ole helping his former club as an interim manager that the club are actually doing Ole a far more solid by elevating his profile.

Tiber

Before Fergie retired I was convinced that the one guy destined to inherit the United job from Fergie and make a long term success of it was Jurgen Klopp. That's.... not going to happen.

Of the choices available right now Poch is clearly the outstanding candidate. But what if Poch says no? Which is very possible. I see no clear plan B - though I admit I have doubts about Zidane that others won't share.

Its going to be a long season and I'm not getting carried away - but I find Ole fascinating. He just seems so comfortable in the job. I know some have said he needs to win the champions league to even have a chance but for me thats nonsense - how many years did it take Fergie to win the damn thing? That can't be what he lives or dies by, especially with this squad.

Even if results aren't abolsutly perfect: if we make a real run at the top 4, play attractive football and players who looked lost at sea under the previous manger continue to revitalise their careers (Jones, Lindelof, Sanchez, Matic and Lukaku come to mind) then I absolutely think he would deserve to be given serious consideration for plan B.

And if we do get Poch? Ole's stock will be very high again and I really hope he will wait for the right job rather than just taking the first offer and going to another bad fit like Cardiff for the sake of advancement.

Of course, it could all go tits up and make all of what I just wrote irrelevant. But if he does get players like Sanchez back on track (like he has already done with Pogba) and we pick up some momentum over the next few weeks? I think we will be banging on the door on the top 4 before long - some of the other teams look capable of dropping some points.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If we qualify for cl then I think it will be given to ole because to have caught up that gap we will have had to play well to the end of the season

If we don't get cl then it probably becomes difficult to tempt poch away from spurs and may be more difficult to hold on to top players or attract new ones... So if we miss out by a bit but have caught up on the teams ahead and are playing good football I still think ole probably gets it

If we don't get cl and don't show much improvement in the second half I doubt we get poch or Zidane and doubt we keep ole...

Still in the balance of probability I think it's likley ole stays and so far so good

cfkane

I can see Ole doing well, raising his profile and moving to a higher level in a year or two. Hopefully, we get Poch, he does a great job for 3-5 years, then we bring Ole back at that point, after long term success at a higher level than Molde. Ole is the one person I could see leaving any other team in the world for us, even if he was at Real, Barca or PSG.

miki

Look What Zinedine Zidane Did With Real Madrid 3 CL titles in 3 seasons and he only managed Real Madrid B before That. We should give Solskjaer a chance. Lets see what will he bring here. He can get us in top 4 and i hope for good results in Champions League now ! I Hope we can push hard for 1/2 there. Give the man a chance i will judge him at the end of the season !

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
- Man Utd legend
- loyal to our club
- love by our fans
- players seems happy to play under him
- Attacking style of football, which represent the club tradition/philosophy
- good records so far

If he can maintain this level of football and keep on getting good results, there’s no reason not the appointed him for long term.

Of course we can try get another high profile manager in the summer, but there’s no guarantee the new chosen one will click any of those.

Adam_S

I know it's early days and this is probably a head v heart thing, but I'd be interested to see what Ole could do with the job. Part of what the club needs to sort out is the structures in place around the manager too. I really like the look of the coaching team we've got now, for starters. Why not get in a DoF to handle recruitment and scouting and let Ole get on with the business of managing the team? With the right coaches, his job becomes more man management, overseeing the coaching staff and making the final call on tactics or squad selection. I think he might be able to do a good job of that.

Reactions: SteveJ

Shiva87

I've changed my vote from my head making the decision to going with my heart.

I just love Ole and his approach to football and United. Wish he wins the CL and gets the job full time. Top 4 may be hard, but now we are closer than we were when he started.

We'll need some title winning form to get to 80 points (which I think will be needed this year to be in the top 4).

Poch may get the job in the summer and that will make me happy - but I'll be over the moon with Ole as well.

Coops73

I can only go on what we’ve seen so far and so far it’s very positive, still a little too early to judge for me, it seems the players and indeed the club as a whole seem to be on a high, it might be easier to judge after a bad result to see the reaction of the players and manager but if the board decides to keep Ole onboard I really hope they still appoint a decent DOF to work with him.

Mr Smith

I've voted for Jardim, because even though Poch is my first choice, I think he's unattainable. Think the calls for Ole to get the job are extremely premature, as so far we have played bottom and fourth from bottom, riding a wave of optimism and relief. Lets see how he does against City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs before we start talking about him as a serious long-term candidate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be honest it is really nice having a manager again who truly gets it, Poch won't, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a success, but he won't have the genuine love and understanding of the club that Ole has. I'm going to throughly enjoy the next few months.
While I think Ole’s Love is needed to lighten the mood and bring the fun back, not sure it’ll be sustainable for months/years.

Poch has shown he can build and coach a team without spending hundreds of millions, that’s good coaching. Not saying Ole couldnt do it, but we’d be silly to ignore the proof. Ole could always do the job afterwards also.

vidic blood & sand

Ole's lifted the place, and that's great, but for me Pochettino is the right man to take us forward, and I'm certain it will happen.
People are wondering if Poch will want to leave Spurs for us. Silly question. Of course he'd leave them for us in an instant. He's taken Spurs as far as he can, and the next level is United.
Once the United board explain that they want to build a team to challenge for the title, and the funds will be available, Pochettino simply won't be able to turn that down. He will be here next season if the United board want him. Simple as that. The sad thing is that I think it'll lead to the end of Spurs as top 4 challengers. All's fair in love and war.

Cockney Phil

If we have a director of football in place, a working backroom of coaches and a balanced squad, I would slot someone in who has a full comprehension of our culture and can accept that structure as a viable work environment. Culture is a much abused word - in this context I employ it to mean: style of football, historic development like the bravado of Tommy Doc, Jimmy Murphyism in youth development, the discipline of Fergie and the global respect of Sir Matt.

Thus far we have employed managers without any real interest in our culture. We had an idiot who destroyed a successful backroom and replaced them with nobody’s, and overnight we tuned into dross in games. We then employed a tool who single-handed nearly destroyed Bayern Munich and killed Dutch football. Under him we played like side-winder crabs in hypnotic displays of boredom. Then we employed the ‘special one’ with his 3 year vision, trophies in the first season, atrophy in the second, and a constructed dismissal in the third when he ran out of excuses. His football imploded into the horror at Juanfield.

Thus far Ole has shown the qualities and the character but like all honeymoons it will either conclude in long term anniversaries or divorce. If we demolish any of the top six with thrilling displays of football I can see a call to keep Ole. If however we struggle and suffer a rocky period, I can envisage a swift clamour for Poch or Zidane. Given recent experiences both make me feel deeply uncomfortable.

If we stand tall in May, I will back Ole if he’s an option.

Reactions: Sultan

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Ole's lifted the place, and that's great, but for me Pochettino is the right man to take us forward, and I'm certain it will happen.
People are wondering if Poch will want to leave Spurs for us. Silly question. Of course he'd leave them for us in an instant. He's taken Spurs as far as he can, and the next level is United.
Once the United board explain that they want to build a team to challenge for the title, and the funds will be available, Pochettino simply won't be able to turn that down. He will be here next season if the United board want him. Simple as that. The sad thing is that I think it'll lead to the end of Spurs as top 4 challengers. All's fair in love and war.
I'm curious as to why you think he'd want to go to United to build a team to challenge for the title, when he already has a team at Spurs that is challenging for the title now?

Of course you might well think that Spurs won't win the title this season, but seeing as we're currently in 2nd place - and might well be only 3 points behind Liverpool in a few days time - we're certainly contenders at this stage.

Anders Agnalt

If Ole does a good job I don't see why we should bring in another big name ruin the club even more? The beach is known for his way or no way. Might work or might not!

I don't think Ole is gonna accept being an assistant again. He's already a manager and is on loan. So unless he gets the job he's going home.

I really think Ole should get the job if he perform. He would never change club if he's wanted at Manchester United

vidic blood & sand

I'm curious as to why you think he'd want to go to United to build a team to challenge for the title, when he already has a team at Spurs that is challenging for the title now?

Of course you might well think that Spurs won't win the title this season, but seeing as we're currently in 2nd place - and might well be only 3 points behind Liverpool in a few days time - we're certainly contenders at this stage.

It's simply because United are one of the three biggest clubs in world football, but have fallen behind. The chance for Pochettino to build a team at United that could challenge for the top prizes again, would be extremely tempting for him. These opportunities don't come around often.

lysglimt

Scout
I think it's a bit puzzling that so many are using Solskjaers failure at Cardiff as an argument against hiring him at United - almost regardless of what he does between now and june ?

What did Pochettino do in his first manager-job ? He was a medicrity at Espanyol and won 33% of the matches in 3.5 years. He lost well over 40% of the matches.

I am not saying Solskjaer has the best merits - but he should be based on what he does for United, not what he did for Cardiff which was a club in total chaos when he took charge, and where he made some mistakes most new managers do.

lysglimt

Scout

You certainly are - and God how I hope you win. If Pochettino feels he can improve Spurs, I think he will stay, but he also knows that unless he is given some serious money - it will be harder and harder to compete.

RedNed77

Poch as manager, Solskjaer as his assistant wouldnt be a bad ticket!
Surely the whole point of bringing in Poch is he’ll be a long term manager? What is in it for Ole? It’d be nice if Poch kept Phelan and the rest of the new back room staff on though rather than going full Moyes.

RedNed77

I agree with you. The only way I could see him leaving Spurs for us is if he falls short this year, then Levy tells him there are no significant funds for strengthening in the summer. As you say Poch isn’t a United fan, there’s no long held desire to manage us so no particularly strong pull for him to leave you for us. However, the same applies to him staying with you. I can’t see him letting his career wither on the vine to keep Spurs in the top 4 whilst you boys build a stadium. Especially if a big club such as Madrid, Bayern, us etc come calling offering him whatever he wants, both in salary and transfer budget.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Because the first team are Manchester United and the second are Tottenham.

And he’d get a lot more money which is always a good motivation.

Of course he might want to stay but there are plenty of reasons as to why he’d leave.

Steerpike

I think it's a bit puzzling that so many are using Solskjaers failure at Cardiff as an argument against hiring him at United - almost regardless of what he does between now and june ?

What did Pochettino do in his first manager-job ? He was a medicrity at Espanyol and won 33% of the matches in 3.5 years. He lost well over 40% of the matches.

I am not saying Solskjaer has the best merits - but he should be based on what he does for United, not what he did for Cardiff which was a club in total chaos when he took charge, and where he made some mistakes most new managers do.
I agree with you, but I have a suspiscion that one of the attractions of hiring Ole was that he wouldn't be considered a serious contender for the role on a permanent basis.

The board needed someone who could unite the club and get the team playing the United way, and had probably largely written off the season in terms of achieving anything. Ole was a good fit. They will be using the time between now and the end of the season to put a new structure in place, and come up with their short list of permanent managers.

It will be interesting if Ole does a fantastic job between now and the end of the season, and gets a lot of very public backing from the players and supporters. If the shortlisted candidates then look unobtainable, or come with a set of unrealistic demands, who knows.

youmeletsfly

I agree with you, but I have a suspiscion that one of the attractions of hiring Ole was that he wouldn't be considered a serious contender for the role on a permanent basis.

The board needed someone who could unite the club and get the team playing the United way, and had probably largely written off the season in terms of achieving anything. Ole was a good fit. They will be using the time between now and the end of the season to put a new structure in place, and come up with their short list of permanent managers.

It will be interesting if Ole does a fantastic job between now and the end of the season, and gets a lot of very public backing from the players and supporters. If the shortlisted candidates then look unobtainable, or come with a set of unrealistic demands, who knows.
Or maybe that's the idea behind the whole play, give it to the world that he is here only for 6 months but he's already the next manager. This way he'd be let alone doing his job by the media, players will push hard for him and so on. But meh, it's too smart for our little eddie to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.