g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's still a bit unfair to compare Poch to either of those two given the relative investment each manager has been allowed to make.
Yes it and until he's given a fairer platform can anyone conclusively say he's not or he is as good as those two.
For me, he's easily the best choice at this point in time.

Womp

idiot
People worried about our managers not being as good as Pep or Klopp need to relax a little. A manager is only as good as their players. Just look at what a difference losing Fernandinho has made to Pep's City, a stronger City side than the one that broke almost every PL record last season. Similarly I'd like to see if Liverpool can maintain this momentum if they lose Salah. With proper planning and some patience for the incoming manager - one who has a positive approach to the game, we will be back on top eventually.

Favre will be my ideal candidate, Dortmund are playing some incredible stuff and a lot of youngsters are getting good minutes. Pochettino is my second. With increased pressure and financial strength, I'd be interested to see if he could finally start winning some trophies. Whether or not either is even attainable is another question though.

L1nk

To be honest if we want someone along the same chops as Klopp and Pep, that plays similar football, has intention of playing youth, has won (something), the best choice we're gonna get is Thomas Tuchel, people say he's overrated but, in two years he got to the Pokal final twice, losing once on penalties and beating Bayern the other, he also as well as a record points total that Bayern just managed to slip past. He gave chances to Weigl, Pulisic and the likes of Dembele etc. He will have 1 year left on his contract at the end of this season, and to be honest, considering what happened with Mourinho in the summer, we missed a trick not getting rid back then and bringing in Tuchel then in my opinion.

Canagel

To be honest if we want someone along the same chops as Klopp and Pep, that plays similar football, has intention of playing youth, has won (something), the best choice we're gonna get is Thomas Tuchel, people say he's overrated but, in two years he got to the Pokal final twice, losing once on penalties and beating Bayern the other, he also as well as a record points total that Bayern just managed to slip past. He gave chances to Weigl, Pulisic and the likes of Dembele etc. He will have 1 year left on his contract at the end of this season, and to be honest, considering what happened with Mourinho in the summer, we missed a trick not getting rid back then and bringing in Tuchel then in my opinion.
will PSG let him go after 1 season? The timing is all wrong. The board would never have sacked Mourinho after last season and now he has been sacked it's too late.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why don't we give Marco Rose a opportunity?

He plays exciting football and is a tremendous young coach. His style is similar to Klopp's and looks the perfect fit for us.

Womp

idiot
will PSG let him go after 1 season? The timing is all wrong. The board would never have sacked Mourinho after last season and now he has been sacked it's too late.
Yep, especially if he does well in the CL which I expect him to do. He is a good fit for PSG.

red thru&thru

He plays exciting football and is a tremendous young coach. His style is similar to Klopp's and looks the perfect fit for us.
I’d jump at the chance. G Nev said it right. We need someone who’s got a plan and this guy with Maric has a plan. The fans would be patient with him as well.

Mad thing is, you can just see Spurs will go and get them, if Poch leaves this year. Underrated the pair of them. People are just looking at big names and not what is best fit for our club.

Tuchel is my first choice as well

Canagel

This is the type of appointment we should be making. Out of the box but fits the profile .
A quick Wikipedia search and found he's got a 70% win rate . So it's also getting results and not just the style.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

This is the type of appointment we should be making. Out of the box but fits the profile .
A quick Wikipedia search and found he's got a 70% win rate . So it's also getting results and not just the style.
Won European youth league with Salzburg. Won titles and cups and 100% win rate in the EL this season!

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This article seems genuine given the direct quotes from the man himself.

"I have a contract with Juventus and I am happy here," he said to reporters. "We are doing a great job together with the fans. There are many games to win before the end of the season, there is time before June.

"Italian football is fascinating, I am not tired of it. I want to stay to improve Italian football.

Which begs the question, why hasn't Poch made a similar statement of intent?

@GlastonSpur
This question has been answered many times, you just don't like the answer.

bpet15

Poch very obviously trying to get the sack. This way he doesn’t have to be the one that disappoints fans and players by leaving.

Canagel

Won European youth league with Salzburg. Won titles and cups and 100% win rate in the EL this season!
very impressive. He plays a 4-4-2 diamond I read with compact defence and high gegenpressing very reminiscent of Klopp and Tuchel. He played under both managers so will obviously have taken some inspiration from their styles- similar to OGS under SAF.

Canagel

Haven't they spent a ton of money (since takeover) and a bit of a 1-team league?
Initially they did but in recent years there's been a focus on bringing up players from their very talented youth teams and feeder club. That development of players plus strong scouting system has helped them to dominate.

automaticflare

Initially they did but in recent years there's been a focus on bringing up players from their very talented youth teams and feeder club. That development of players plus strong scouting system has helped them to dominate.
In a second rate league
They had won 6 of the last 7 leagues, finishing second in the only other season they didn’t win it so there is hardly a massive transformation since he took over

BlueHaze

Tuchel wouldn't be a bad candidate imo but the fact that we have people on here who say Allegri baffles me. Are you lot serious? You are telling me that after watching us these past 5 years you havn't learned anything? We hired 3 managers with philosophies that should never had come an inch within Old Trafford. I can see however why Ed went for Mourinho as he probably thought just as we did that Jose would give us at least a league title before he left at the expense of a more pragmatic style but even that backfired completely and went to hell and now some of you on here want the likes of Allegri and Conte to take over, am I sleepwalking?

Juventus have got an absolutely brilliant squad and they even bolstered it with Ronaldo this summer. The amount of offensive talent they have in that team is out of this world. They have players like Dybala and fecking CR7. Do you guys who want Allegri even know that Juve have had 8 games so far this season where they have only scored 1 goal? God save us if some of our fanbase want this man anywhere near our club. I couldn't give a donkeys arse how many titles a manager has won the next one has to be one that has a philosophy and personality that fits the history and values of this club. You better pray Ed will not hire the next manager based on amount of trophies won or we will be in the exact same situation in 2 years time.

In Rainbows

In a second rate league
They had won 6 of the last 7 leagues, finishing second in the only other season they didn’t win it so there is hardly a massive transformation since he took over
It's more so backed by the Europa League. 9 points ahead of 2nd place Celtic with 8 more goals scored than 2nd in goals scored Leipzeg (currently 4th in Bundesliga).

Last year they finished 1st in their group, then beat Real Sociedad, Dortmund, and Lazio. Lost in the semis to Marseille. The same Marseille that finished 2nd in the group behind Marco Rose's side.

He's been impressive in his short time there and he's punched above his weight playing great football. I would love if we gave a chance to Marco Rose.

automaticflare

It's more so backed by the Europa League. 9 points ahead of 2nd place Celtic with 8 more goals scored than 2nd in goals scored Leipzeg (currently 4th in Bundesliga).

Last year they finished 1st in their group, then beat Real Sociedad, Dortmund, and Lazio. Lost in the semis to Marseille. The same Marseille that finished 2nd in the group behind Marco Rose's side.

He's been impressive in his short time there and he's punched above his weight playing great football. I would love if we gave a chance to Marco Rose.
We won the Europa league under Mourinho 2 years ago now your plumping for a manager who has got knocked out in it. Makes no sense to me. Maybe we should re hire Jose considering he won the Europa

In Rainbows

We won the Europa league under Mourinho 2 years ago now your plumping for a manager who has got knocked out in it. Makes no sense to me. Maybe we should re hire Jose considering he won the Europa
Are you even aware of the argument being put forward? Why are you comparing United to Salzburg? You yourself stated that he's in a second rate league. So not only is him winning the league in a second rate league not count (understandable), but not even doing well in a competition against clubs who are in first rate leagues good enough.

red thru&thru

This is the prime example of why people like Ed Woodward made the managerial mistakes he has, all with good intentions. It’s not just about what a person has won and where they have won etc. Yes Jose won stuff for us but even before he signed majority of fans knew he wasn’t right for us. His history told us so.

At this stage, for us, it’s about laying the foundations for the future. Get our identity of attacking football back. Get the youth players through, start winning games etc. Rose and Maric have shown that they are very apt at doing this, especially when their players are cherry picked each season by Leipzeg and bigger teams. Mane and Keita just been an example of a few.

Now, no one can sit here and say X or Y manager will be better than Z manager for us, however what is clear for us, we need to go in a different direction than we have with the past 3 managers we have recruited. We need a manager that meets our values as a club.

Also, if it was all about winning stuff, wonder why Pochettino is so highly sort after?!

el3mel

Don't forget, Spurs are the ultimate bottlers doesn't matter who manages them.

Put Poch in a team of winners, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't start winning trophies.
Several years of same mentality it looks weird to not attribute it to the manager. He has failed to make them tough, it's his problem. He can't improve their mentality and he falls under the slightest pressure.

Problem is people want to hire managers and expect them to change here. They aren't. We can already see what Poch is going to achieve here, and his Spurs aside is as strong as us quality wise. Several of their players will go straight into our team.

If we just want good football and top 4 finish, keep Ole or get Jardim. At least Jardim won things.

red thru&thru

Several years of same mentality it looks weird to not attribute it to the manager. He has failed to make them tough, it's his problem. He can't improve their mentality and he falls under the slightest pressure.

Problem is people want to hire managers and expect them to change here. They aren't. We can already see what Poch is going to achieve here, and his Spurs aside is as strong as us quality wise. Several of their players will go straight into our team.

If we just want good football and top 4 finish, keep Ole or get Jardim. At least Jardim won things.
This is why Poch won’t want to stay at Spurs. He needs the extra depth in his squad to get them to the next level. Look at Lfc from this year and last. They lacked depth in real quality. A few signings later, they’re now front runners. You can’t keep blaming Poch when he’s not allowed to go up to the next level.

Judas

Open to offers
Klopp knows what it takes to win the league, might have a bit of a shite cup final record, but he's more of a winner than Poch.

I'd pretty worried about our options for the next manager.

el3mel

This is why Poch won’t want to stay at Spurs. He needs the extra depth in his squad to get them to the next level. Look at Lfc from this year and last. They lacked depth in real quality. A few signings later, they’re now front runners. You can’t keep blaming Poch when he’s not allowed to go up to the next level.
What's the depth related to this ? I mean they have their full team now and still crumbled under pressure.

I can't get it. Each victory is thanks to him and each loss is thanks to not spending. There's no manager absolved of blame like this, and their squad is already as strong as the rest of top 6. He needs to be blamed for their mentality as much as other managers are.

You can't excuse the manager of the fragile mentality of his players. He has failed to get Spurs to play well under pressure and that's down to him as much as you can praise him for anything. Spurs look like they only win when no one expects things from them but once people put them under pressure as front runners, they lose the next game and bottle it.

That's not down to spending or squad depth. That's down to their fragile mentality and Poch has failed to deal with this for several years now and that makes you wonder what he'll do in a more stressful job as Madrid or United.

I'm afraid to say that may be the limits of Poch. He's capable of deve!oping youth, play decent football and finish top 4 regularly while beating some big teams but he hasn't shown a single sign he can get his team to play under pressure and be tough enough when expectations arise.

BigWillprunier

Bielsa?

He doesn't have a cabinet full of silverware but he is as tactically astute as any of those listed.
In fact if you ask the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino etc who has been a big influence on their tactical management and they will all point to Bielsa.
He usually plays an exciting attacking brand of football but can be equally as pragmatic if needs be, counter press is a big part of his game.
We need someone that will take charge of the egos as well as the football side of things, he's not afraid to stick boot in arse but is just as happy putting an arm round the shoulder.
I definitely think he should be considered as our next manager, he ticks all the boxes for me.

Oh and cherry on top all of that is we would be taking him off their hands.

Bestietom

Really want to see Ole doing well and then be given the Job permanently, but can see us going all out for Poch next summer.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea of Bielsa managing the egos in our squad is hilarious. No thanks, it would be a total disaster.

Honestly I'm hoping with all my heart that Ole does amazing and we're set for years, but I don't truthfully believe that'll happen.

red thru&thru

What's the depth related to this ? I mean they have their full team now and still crumbled under pressure.

I can't get it. Each victory is thanks to him and each loss is thanks to not spending. There's no manager absolved of blame like this, and their squad is already as strong as the rest of top 6. He needs to be blamed for their mentality as much as other managers are.

You can't excuse the manager of the fragile mentality of his players. He has failed to get Spurs to play well under pressure and that's down to him as much as you can praise him for anything. Spurs look like they only win when no one expects things from them but once people put them under pressure as front runners, they lose the next game and bottle it.

That's not down to spending or squad depth. That's down to their fragile mentality and Poch has failed to deal with this for several years now and that makes you wonder what he'll do in a more stressful job as Madrid or United.

I'm afraid to say that may be the limits of Poch. He's capable of deve!oping youth, play decent football and finish top 4 regularly while beating some big teams but he hasn't shown a single sign he can get his team to play under pressure and be tough enough when expectations arise.
I for one think it’s a team game. You win and lose together. As I said earlier, it is down to squad depth. Look at all the guys who have won the league. You can’t win it with 12-13 players. It’s a squad game.

As I also mentioned earlier, they haven’t spent big. They’ve not been able to push on. Lfc, City & Chelsea have shown you need to spend big to move you up to the next level. If Spurs had done that this year, they’d be pushing Lfc. Had they got a big striker in, a lot of the burden would be taken off of Kane. Poch has even said that he needed more quality in his squad to push for honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.