Portugal vs. Spain

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Portugal vs. Spain

EURO 2012 SEMI-FINAL 1, Venue: Donbass Arena, Donetsk Date: Wednesday, 27 June Kick-off: 19:45 BST

Lineups from Last Games:

Portugal
12 Rui Patricio
02 Alves
03 Pepe
05 Coentrao
21 Joao Pereira
04 Veloso
08 Joao Moutinho
16 Meireles (Rolando - 88')
17 Nani (Custodio - 84')
07 Ronaldo
23 Postiga (Almeida - 39')

Spain
01 Casillas
03 Pique
15 Ramos
17 Arbeloa
18 Alba
06 Iniesta (Cazorla - 84')
08 Xavi
10 Fabregas (Torres - 67')
14 Alonso
16 Busquets
21 Silva (Pedrito - 65')

Previous Results:
Portugal 0 - 1 Germany
Portugal 3 - 2 Denmark
Portugal 2 - 1 Netherlands
Portugal 1 - 0 Czech Republic

Spain 1 - 1 Italy
Spain 4 - 0 Ireland
Spain 1 - 0 Croatia
Spain 2 - 0 France

Goal Scorers:
Portugal
3 - Ronaldo
1 - Pepe
1 - Postiga
1 - Varela

Spain
2 - Fabregas
2 - Torres
2 - Alonso
1 - Silva
1 - Jesus Navas

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I think Portugal can definitely win this game, Spain has struggled to score, Ireland aside, for all their possession, Portugal are on fire and should be full of confidence. Ronaldo and Nani can hit anyone on the counter, and Portugal's defense is very underrated.

I'd still guess Spain will just manage to nick this one, 1-0 is probably the most likely result.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There's a question mark for both teams regarding who will start up front. Postiga is injured and Spain have gone with either Cesc or Torres so far.

nemanja nemagic

Got Portugal in a sweepstake, hope they somehow fluke it to the final, not hopeful though.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Anyone know if any players will be missing the game through cards?

Portugal will miss Postiga, big loss that. They've struggled for a decent striker since Pauleta retired after the 2006 WC.

Revan

Assumptionman
Portugal to win. Seriously this Spain team is the most boring team of all time. Even Italian's side who played Catenaccio (thanks to Prandelli this is not the case anymore) were more interesting to watch than this Spain who pass, pass, pass X100 then lose the ball, win it and the cycle repeats. Shame that Croatian didn't eliminate them.

Although I would love Portugal to win, I don't think that's going to happen. Spain to win 1-0 with Silva scoring a goal in the second half from an offside position. Meireles to get a red card and Ronaldo to cry.

Snow

I think Portugal can definitely win this game, Spain has struggled to score, Ireland aside, for all their possession, Portugal are on fire and should be full of confidence. Ronaldo and Nani can hit anyone on the counter, and Portugal's defense is very underrated.

I'd still guess Spain will just manage to nick this one, 1-0 is probably the most likely result.
:confused:

Spain have the best goal difference in the competition. 8 goals in 4 games and conceded only 1. Germany have only scored 1 more but they have conceded 4 times in 3 different games.

Snow

Portugal will miss Postiga, big loss that. They've struggled for a decent striker since Pauleta retired after the 2006 WC.
Maggio is the only player to miss the semi's because of a ban. Shame because it was a dive from Young that got him the card. Wasn't even a free kick.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Hugo Almeida replaced Postiga last game, I'd suspect he'll start for him. He has 15 goals in 43 appearances for Portugal, according to wiki.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Spain have the best goal difference in the competition. 8 goals in 4 games and conceded only 1. Germany have only scored 1 more but they have conceded 4 times in 3 different games.
Germany have won 15 games in a row, and only kept a clean sheet in 4 of those games. 2 of which where against kazakhstan (I think).

Germany don't care if you score 2, they will score 3.

I know what he means.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever

They've scored 1 goal from open play each game, besides the Ireland game, for a team of their quality I'd say that's underperforming.

But only because they're such a quality assembly of player.

Perhaps that's unfair.

Claymore

Hope Nani scores a goal before they get knocked out. He has played well but would look to see a trademark blast or cut in onto the left. Set up a lovely goal for Ronaldo.

Would like to see Spain lose as they bore me compared to Germany who really do entertain, as they did in SA2010. Spain are good technically but sometimes just pass for the sake of it.

Revan

Assumptionman

Jon Snow, calm down and read again that post.

On another note Spain had struggled to score always but somehow are winning trophies mainly to the fact that it's opponents can't score without a ball.

Snow

Jon Snow, calm down and read again that post.

On another note Spain had struggled to score always but somehow are winning trophies mainly to the fact that it's opponents can't score without a ball.
Why are you telling me to calm down?

It's an odd thing to say about Spain. They don't struggle to score. They always score. And after the they do they keep the ball and score more if the opposition get out of their own box.

Snow

Germany have won 15 games in a row, and only kept a clean sheet in 4 of those games. 2 of which where against kazakhstan (I think).

Germany don't care if you score 2, they will score 3.

I know what he means.
15 competitive games in a row. They've lost friendlies.

Spain won all their qualifying games as well. It's an odd thing to comment on Spain because no other team have been any better than them. Not even the Germans. They aren't competing against Germany though aren't they. They are playing the Portuguese. Now how have they been? Goals galore? Nope. Spain are strong favorites. Portugal are a good team and have been playing well but they're attacks are limited to few players. If something isn't working for Spain they have massive options on the bench whilst Portugal can't afford to lose Ronaldo or Nani.

When did Spain last lose a competitive game?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Why are you telling me to calm down?

It's an odd thing to say about Spain. They don't struggle to score. They always score. And after the they do they keep the ball and score more if the opposition get out of their own box.
Don't you find it at all odd that they have this great assemblage of players, most of who play for Barca and average about 4 goals a game, yet are the 1-0 masters at international level?

I realize they play a more conservative style than Barca, and lack Messi, but it seems a bit odd to me for the best offensive team to actually be better defensively than they are offensively. 1-0 is supposed to be an Italian score line, not the standard for a Spanish side who have taken over from Brazil as the tiki-taka champions of International football.

Snow

They've scored 1 goal from open play each game, besides the Ireland game, for a team of their quality I'd say that's underperforming.

But only because they're such a quality assembly of player.

Perhaps that's unfair.
Of course it's unfair. It's a tournament where messing up one game can lead to an exit. I don't know what you're expecting from them. They won the WC in the same way. They aren't taking needless chances. They play to their huge strength which is possession football and patiently wait for an opening.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
When did Spain last lose a competitive game?
I guess you have a point, that would be in the World Cup 2010 group stage, compared to Germany's World Cup 2010 knockouts against Spain.

It's the dream final either way

Snow

Don't you find it at all odd that they have this great assemblage of players, most of who play for Barca and average about 4 goals a game, yet are the 1-0 masters at international level?

I realize they play a more conservative style than Barca, and lack Messi, but it seems a bit odd to me for the best offensive team to actually be better defensively than they are offensively. 1-0 is supposed to be an Italian score line, not the standard for a Spanish side who have taken over from Brazil as the tiki-taka champions of International football.
Thing is Spain vs Barcelona would be an even game. However this is the Euros. The teams are better than in any league. They've played one weak opponent and they won 4-0. I don't think anything from them have been strange apart from the lack of striker at times.

The Brazil comparison. Every time Spain play someone they are playing 11 men inside their own box. Brazil didn't play against so very defensive opponents every game. The game is much more tactical now than 10 years ago defensively. They aren't there to entertain you. Barcelona have to do that. They have a lot of paying fans. It's not the same in international football. There are so few competitive games that you have to make the most out of every match. Now they are two games away from setting a record. Bloody well done if you ask me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Postiga is awful, his absence might actually mean Oliveira will start and he's much much better.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm just comparing their score lines to those of the best offensive teams I've seen play in World Cups my whole life. None of them won nearly every game they played 1-0.

Of course even the best Brazilian teams of the 90s let in a few goals, Spain deserve a lot of credit for their defense. Spain don't have to score 2 or 3 because of it, so they can afford to play a more conservative version of that possession style.

At this point if my team was facing Spain I'd be more concerned about how we're going to score against them than stopping their attack.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Thing is Spain vs Barcelona would be an even game. However this is the Euros. The teams are better than in any league. They've played one weak opponent and they won 4-0. I don't think anything from them have been strange apart from the lack of striker at times.

The Brazil comparison. Every time Spain play someone they are playing 11 men inside their own box. Brazil didn't play against so very defensive opponents every game. The game is much more tactical now than 10 years ago defensively. They aren't there to entertain you. Barcelona have to do that. They have a lot of paying fans. It's not the same in international football. There are so few competitive games that you have to make the most out of every match. Now they are two games away from setting a record. Bloody well done if you ask me.
Oh, I certainly agree its a much smarter way to play, and thus you could say better. Why give the opponent a chance to score? And with such fantastic attacking talent you are fairly sure you'll manage a goal by the end. And if not, they're all brilliant penalty takers, and Castillas is a fantastic keeper.

Snow

I guess you have a point, that would be in the World Cup 2010 group stage, compared to Germany's World Cup 2010 knockouts against Spain.

It's the dream final either way
Definitely. So far it has reminded me a lot of the CL. Everyone expected Germany and Spain to make it to the final. Same with Real and Barca. This time however, bar any major referring mistake, I think that the team that goes on and wins this will deserve it. All the semi finalists have played well this tournament.

Spain and Germany have played exactly like I and many many others expected them too, Italy have impressed me. They've used 19 players so far and 3 different formations. Portugal have been organized and focused throughout the match. Pepe left his cnutish half at home it seems. They were a bit lucky to play the Czechs. Had they played a stronger opponent I imagine they would have some players banned against Spain. 7 starters have gotten a yellow card.

Homeomorphic

I suspect Pedro will start instead of Silva from now on. The latter got worse as the tournament progressed (especially after del Bosque told him to stay in wider positions). Also Pedro's pressing and defensive contribution on the right wing will be crucial against Coentrao-Ronaldo as much as his freshness and the fact that he's actually the most prolific wing-forward in Europe (after Ronaldo obviously). I'd also play Ramos at rightback for this game. I don't trust Arbeloa one bit and Portugal won't create much through the middle anyway.

Portugal's strenghts (both wings) will also be their weaknesses. Both Nani and Ronaldo lack defensive discipline. Alba-Iniesta on the left with Nani not supporting his fullback can get very ugly.

1-0 Spain. Possibly in extra time.

LoveInTheAsylum

It will be fun to watch Veloso, Moutinho and Meireles endlessly running around. Portugal seem well suited to face Spain, even if it will take many great performances with some luck. A great defence particularly strong in the centre, with Ronaldo and Nani who can really hurt Spain on the counter, plus no Postiga.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Bold prediction: Spain will pass it round in little triangles for 70 minutes, at which point Portugal will get knackered, switch off and concede. Then Spain will pass it round in little triangles for twenty minutes.

There will be a surprising and seemingly unmotivated 6 minutes' injury time, during which Spain will pass it round in little triangles.

Snow

I suspect Pedro will start instead of Silva from now on. The latter got worse as the tournament progressed (especially after del Bosque told him to stay in wider positions). Also Pedro's pressing and defensive contribution on the right wing will be crucial against Coentrao-Ronaldo as much as his freshness and the fact that he's actually the most prolific wing-forward in Europe (after Ronaldo obviously). I'd also play Ramos at rightback for this game. I don't trust Arbeloa one bit and Portugal won't create much through the middle anyway.

Portugal's strenghts (both wings) will also be their weaknesses. Both Nani and Ronaldo lack defensive discipline. Alba-Iniesta on the left with Nani not supporting his fullback can get very ugly.

Why on Earth would you start messing with the defense that has kept 3 clean sheets in the tournament at this point. The backup defenders haven't played a single minute so far.
Definitely play Arbeloa. He's solid. You can't say that too often about full backs now a days.

Homeomorphic

Why on Earth would you start messing with the defense that has kept 3 clean sheets in the tournament at this point. The backup defenders haven't played a single minute so far.
Definitely play Arbeloa. He's solid. You can't say that too often about full backs now a days.
You have a point. Messing with the defense would be a bold move. And while Arbeloa's solid, he will need to be more than that against Coentrao and Ronaldo who will target him on that side. Having said that: Coentrao and Ronaldo aren't unknown quantities in Spain. Del Bosque will probably deal with it accordingly. Playing Pedro on that side should pin Coentrao back so that Pique and Arbeloa can double up on Ronaldo which will kill 80 % of Portugal's attack. More worried about Portugal's defensive game. cnuts will park the bus like in 2010.

Phil

Such a Nani myth.

Homeomorphic

Such a Nani myth.
Why does SAF start (an unfit) Park ahead of him in many big games if not for more defensive stability? CL final 2009, 2011, recent game against City ... Because at anything else bar workrate Nani is clearly 10 times better than Park.

Snow

You have a point. Messing with the defense would be a bold move. And while Arbeloa's solid, he will need to be more than that against Coentrao and Ronaldo who will target him on that side. Having said that: Coentrao and Ronaldo aren't unknown quantities in Spain. Del Bosque will probably deal with it accordingly. Playing Pedro on that side should pin Coentrao back so that Pique and Arbeloa can double up on Ronaldo which will kill 80 % of Portugal's attack. More worried about Portugal's defensive game. cnuts will park the bus like in 2010.
Yea, you have a point about Pedro. I don't think he will start though. I'd be surprised to see any change in the lineup at all apart from maybe a striker. Spain have had the same stating lineups so far. Pedro is a likely candidate off the bench.

Portugal will definitely sit back. Without any surprises from them it will be, like you said a repeat from the WC game. Of course they have Nani with them know which can make the difference in their counter-attacks. Italy, France and Croatia have all shown this tournament that they are beatable. You just have to be very clinical and solid at the back. France and Croatia weren't that.

I think it will be a good game. Ronaldo looks determined as ever and that's very dangerous. This game is as close to Real v Barca as you can get with two other teams.

Siorac

Why does SAF start (an unfit) Park ahead of him in many big games if not for more defensive stability? CL final 2009, 2011, recent game against City ... Because at anything else bar workrate Nani is clearly 10 times better than Park.
CL final 2009: Nani was in crap form throughout that campaign.
CL final 2011: Nani was in crap form for two months before that game (after the injury at Anfield), unlike Valencia and Park.
City game: Nani did start.

Yes, Nani doesn't offer as much defensively as Park. If that was your point, I'd also chip in with some wise things to say: Messi and Ronaldo are quite good, Sir Alex Ferguson is an OK manager and Alan Green is a fecking moron. These are all very obvious things but someone can be smarter than Green and still be a moron or worse than Ronaldo and Messi and still be a great player. Nani might not do as much in defending as Park but he does his fair share, certainly a lot more than Ronaldo.

Suedesi

Bold prediction: Spain will pass it round in little triangles for 70 minutes, at which point Portugal will get knackered, switch off and concede. Then Spain will pass it round in little triangles for twenty minutes.

There will be a surprising and seemingly unmotivated 6 minutes' injury time, during which Spain will pass it round in little triangles.
Sadly this.

Portugal have no midfield.