g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Portugal | WC 2022 Discussion | Roberto Martinez to become next manager

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fernando Santos till 2024. You can bank on that

Dr. StrangeHate

Probably only France and Brazil have a better team than them. I can easily see them winning the whole thing.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why start Felix over Rafael Leao though? What possible reason could there be? Felix is so underwhelming while Leao is one of the best attackers in Serie A.

mu4c_20le

Why start Felix over Rafael Leao though? What possible reason could there be? Felix is so underwhelming while Leao is one of the best attackers in Serie A.
I'd say Felix is a way better player and scored. Leao is the portuguese Zaha

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm enjoying them. And I'd quite like to see Ronnie do well.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Ronaldo has been great so far. Proved the doubters wrong once again
Looks like all those caf managers who said he would be a hinderance for Portugal have been mighty wrong (oh no I’m shocked).

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Felix is not way better. Rafael Leão had a better season last year than any year in Felix career.

SportingCP96

Supports
Felix has yet to have one season even remotely close to that if Leao last season.

They are both good and in a fan of both

SportingCP96

Supports
Let’s get into business now.

With Nuno Mendes injured we need some moves made to be sure we have the best squad possibly playing.

- move cancelo to left back
- move dalot to right back
- Vitinha or Nunes need to come in for Neves (or start otavio their)
- Palhinha or William at CDM.
- move Bernardo to right wing
- put Leao left wing

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Felix has yet to have one season even remotely close to that if Leao last season.

They are both good and in a fan of both
Felix is vastly overrated Cmon. Never seen him have a superb performance like all top players have. He's overrated and worth about half of what Atlético paid and I'm being generous

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Odd team, they have a lot of talent and Santos is at least able to make them tick somewhat….but nowhere near their actual potential. Or maybe it all works despite Santos. Think they won’t hold up against Spain/France/Brasil.

Also funny that for years Ronaldo was dragging them along, when they had a very below average team with the likes of Hugo Almeida, Bruno Alves etc. And now the roles are reversed, the team is rather good but Ronaldo drags them down. :lol:

Irwin99

They look so much stronger than last two tournaments. Not quite 2016 vibes but I think they're going to have a very nice run in this competition. So much quality at the back and in midfield and got some excellent subs so feels one of those moments for them again where they can get to last 4.
Unless Spain somehow transfer to their side of the draw by finishing second I really can only see Germany being a potential worry on route to the semi finals (and that's assuming Germany get that second place, it could be Japan). I don't rate Belgium at all at the moment.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Let’s get into business now.

With Nuno Mendes injured we need some moves made to be sure we have the best squad possibly playing.

- move cancelo to left back
- move dalot to right back
- Vitinha or Nunes need to come in for Neves (or start otavio their)
- Palhinha or William at CDM.
- move Bernardo to right wing
- put Leao left wing
Move Cancelo to the left and put Dalot in. I was wrong I can admit. Guerreiro is finished because all the injuries

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Unless Spain somehow transfer to their side of the draw by finishing second I really can only see Germany being a potential worry on route to the semi finals (and that's assuming Germany get that second place, it could be Japan). I don't rate Belgium at all at the moment.
Croatia would be trickier than Belgium this World cup imo.

SportingCP96

Supports
Odd team, they have a lot of talent and Santos is at least able to make them tick somewhat….but nowhere near their actual potential. Or maybe it all works despite Santos. Think they won’t hold up against Spain/France/Brasil.

Also funny that for years Ronaldo was dragging them along, when they had a very below average team with the likes of Hugo Almeida, Bruno Alves etc. And now the roles are reversed, the team is rather good but Ronaldo drags them down. :lol:
It’s so weird seeing people say this when Felix has been worse then him.

SportingCP96

Supports
So what is the route looking like for Portugal at the moment ?

MrEleson

So what is the route looking like for Portugal at the moment ?
Assuming Brazil wins their group (which they’re more than likely to); they’ll play the runners-up which is gonna be either Switzerland, Serbia or Cameroon (most likely to be Switzerland). I expect Portugal to beat these guys.

Then the quarter finals will most likely be Germany assuming they qualify as runner up and play the winners from group E which will be Belgium, Morocco or Croatia.

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Leao must start. And Matheus Nunes and Palhinha are great players, but play William Carvalho, average. I don't understand why the strongest players don't play.

SportingCP96

Supports
Assuming Brazil wins their group (which they’re more than likely to); they’ll play the runners-up which is gonna be either Switzerland, Serbia or Cameroon (most likely to be Switzerland). I expect Portugal to beat these guys.

Then the quarter finals will most likely be Germany assuming they qualify as runner up and play the winners from group E which will be Belgium, Morocco or Croatia.
Appreciate it mate !

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s so weird seeing people say this when Felix has been worse then him.
Don’t rate him either tbh. It’s just something I noticed, previous years it watching Portugal felt like a 1 man army. Like those games against Sweden, Spain etc. So to have a reversal of roles now, just a bit ironic. And unlucky for you tbh :pI’d have you as favorites if you had this team with prime CR7.

Leao…I have to assume he has been brilliant for Milan because for the life of me…I don’t see it.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Loving the Portuguese pundits trashing Santos

Righteous Steps

When did Ronaldo drag the team?

lsd

The Oracle
Looks like winning the world cup will be Ronnie's greatest triumph. What a player

marktan

The Leao Vs Felix question is an interesting one. Personally I rate both very highly in terms of talent, in the band with the likes of Halaand, Osimhen etc as the next top 10 players.

Initially I thought dropping Ronaldo and playing Felix central would be the play, but I haven't watched Atletico enough to know how he is leading the line. Sometimes a presence helps more.

In the end having both is not a bad thing, but I do think if they come up against a more technical team like Spain or France, having both Leao and Felix on the pitch instead of Ronaldo would help link and create attacks better.

Last edited:

Phil

How has Ronaldo been great? Are you people watching this or just getting excited?

Bruno is the key to this team along with Santos actually playing some half decent midfielders alongside Neves. I also think Cancelo has been poor and think Dalot should play on the right with Cancelo left.

Leao was wank today but I think he should be getting more game time generally.

Frustrated that my 2 managers in this competition are Santos and Southgate.

Fully Fledged

How has Ronaldo been great? Are you people watching this or just getting excited?

Bruno is the key to this team along with Santos actually playing some half decent midfielders alongside Neves. I also think Cancelo has been poor and think Dalot should play on the right with Cancelo left.

Am I wrong in hoping either Chelsea or Arsenal think he is worth a punt for the rest of the season?

SportingCP96

Supports
Did he touch it?
It 100% skims his head, whether it’s enough to be considered vital towards the goal is debateable but I’m not mad at the goal being given to bruno.

BorisManUtd

He's been better than at United this season. Guess he's been great in comparison to that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
They’re gonna win it aren’t they…

And the fecking Ronaldo fan circus will go into hyperdrive.

Please no, anyone but them (sorry Portugal fans, it’s about Ronaldo, nothing against you!).